almost scary scratching under the roof

What could it be, very, very diligent during the day, banging the beams does´nt do anything. GOing be the sound the bugger must soon reach the foundations of the house.

No access to the roof, We will be away for a while , worry is that he scratches a hole into the ceiling and cause shitty havoc in the house.

Nuke the house??? Any ideas short of nuking the house?

or search Youtube

It is most likely RATS they are tree rats,not the dirty sewer rat kind, they come into your

roofs space when the rains start,you need to make sure you have no trees,or other things

next to your house where they can climb up and get in the roof space, you need to buy either

some of those sticky rat traps,like a plate with glue on or a wire trap.

They can make a lot of noise in the ceiling,some we had in our roof sounded like 2 Yorkshire

terriers running about, apart from the noise,they also spread disease with their urine and can

chew your electric wiring, so best get something done before they start to breed !

Regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Mostly likely rats. About 18 months ago at night time we would hear what sounded like the pitter-patter of little feet in the ceiling. You make a noise and it would stop. We had an access hole to the ceiling and I placed one of those sticky mice/rat mates in the ceiling with some food right in the middle of the sticky mate. Caught two full size rats over about five days. First caught one rate...disposed of it and placed a new mate in the same location...a few days later caught another rat...disposed of it and place out another mate....didn't catch anything for a week or so even when replacing/changing the food...I then removed that mate....been no more pitter-patter of little feet since. Summary: the pitter-patter of little feet was two rats.

I like the humorous comments, help to stay easy.

Rats, not so sure, although preventive action against them can´t wrong.

But the only sound we hear is this loud scratching, actually too loud for rats, or not? Not familiarity with Thai rats, though.

We do have a lot of squirrels, would they scratch loud for something, probably less infectious than rats, or?

Common problem in Thailand and two likely causes. First birds nesting. We have a large house and get that a lot and have some that return year after year... black, brown and white colour but I don't know what they're called. They run around a lot at times, scratching like rats but don't do any real damage.

The second possibility is rats themselves. They ARE a pest as they can chew wiring etc. and annoy the hell out of anyone trying to sleep. Simple solution, get a cat or two. Send them up into the roof space and the rats will scarper. Best to open the roof for a few minutes and let them hear and smell the cat first. You don't want dead rats just to scare them off. Chances are they will disappear toute de suite. It always works for us and generally rats don't come around now anyway!

You mention squirrels but they rarely nest anywhere in cat territory.

get one of those "PEST FREE" plug in's that drive the rats away.

we had a rat/mice problem in the carport(closed in) bought one with in 2 days rat/mice free

think we paid about 3500B well worth the money

We tried one of these, but unfortunatley the RAT still lives next door

I have had rats several times, the sticky pads do very well particularly if baited with peanuts or peanut butter. One time had a fair sized rat snake slithering around, now that's a scary sound. Must have found no sustenance and disappeared after several days.

Previous house i lived in had this problem, I assumed it was rats in the space above the false ceiling but later the noise got louder with a slithering sound and then got the idea a snake had come to hunt them down.

One morning while making coffee i got a shock as a monitor lizard came crashing through the ceiling in the kitchen and hit me on the shoulder.

It is most likely RATS they are tree rats,not the dirty sewer rat kind, they come into your

roofs space when the rains start,you need to make sure you have no trees,or other things

next to your house where they can climb up and get in the roof space, you need to buy either

some of those sticky rat traps,like a plate with glue on or a wire trap.

They can make a lot of noise in the ceiling,some we had in our roof sounded like 2 Yorkshire

terriers running about, apart from the noise,they also spread disease with their urine and can

chew your electric wiring, so best get something done before they start to breed !

Regards Worgeordie

Where would you get a wire trap from? I live in Chiang Mai and haven't seen any. No problems at present but did have what I presume was a rat in the attic some time ago.

Same issue in my new house. We don't hear him very often, he is attracted to the downlighting on my side of the bed, so I don't use that light anymore.... and falls into the recess false ceiling (gypsum board), above the fitted wardrobes....... much scraping as he tries to find his way out. We have a huge simple gable ended roof space so it is very easy to inspect. No rats, no birds, and no bats. It is a lizard for sure.... Not sure what to do about it. He has been trapped up there for 6 months now. Any ideas?

Previous house i lived in had this problem, I assumed it was rats in the space above the false ceiling but later the noise got louder with a slithering sound and then got the idea a snake had come to hunt them down.

One morning while making coffee i got a shock as a monitor lizard came crashing through the ceiling in the kitchen and hit me on the shoulder.

Who was the most scared? You or the lizard?

I occasionally see some BIG monitor lizards in my western Bangkok moobaan which has plenty of canals. Some are more small alligator size...but they always run away from you like they are scared to death of you.

Sent from my tablet

Who was the most scared? You or the lizard?

I occasionally see some BIG monitor lizards in my western Bangkok moobaan which has plenty of canals. Some are more small alligator size...but they always run away from you like they are scared to death of you.

Sent from my tablet

Not sure but i dropped the coffee pot and made a quick exit closing the glass door behind me, He thrust his claws through a cupboard door and ripped it off then went behind the gas bottle,

I decided i was,nt paying the the security guys 600bht a month just to press a remote to lift the gate-barrier up and went to get them to deal with it. meanwhile it wrecked the whole kitchen.