Chinese Tourists walking in traffic

LazyYogi

Why is it that so many Chinese tourists, when given the choice between walking on the sidewalk (pavement) or walking in the middle of the street in the way of motor vehicles, choose to walk in the middle of the f@#$%g street???

Even if you honk the horn, they seem oblivious to the presence of any cars or motorbikes and make no attempt to get out of the way.

• Like 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ha-ha. Seriously, I would have thought that China being such a crowded country they would be more aware of vehicle traffic and the need to keep out of the way to prevent getting run over.

They might be looking for insurance money as it happens in China. Many idiots pretend being hit by a car and demand high 'compansation' from the innocent driver. It even happens parents who throw their kid agains a passing car, sicko people bah.gif

one would not get out of my way yesterday,insisted on walking in the middle of the road,it was down a small soi, in front of my car,felt like running her down in the end,crazy people.

Does your car not have a horn?

I must admit that today I saw three Chinese tourists walking side by side walking down a fairly main street forcing all the cars going in their direction to go around them. The problem was when a bunch of cars came from the opposite direction they continued on their merry way and seemed oblivious to a bunch of cars stuck behind them.

"Why is it that so many Chinese tourists, when given the choice between walking on the sidewalk (pavement) or walking in the middle of the street in the way of motor vehicles, choose to walk in the middle of the f@#$%g street???"

Good question. My first thought was, maybe they were standing behind the door when God was handing out the brains. But no, that's probably not it.

Second thought was, maybe they think they own the place. But no, that's probably not it either.

Third thought was, maybe not very many have been flattened by hit and run drivers...hmmm, maybe that's the reason.

• Like 1

I am in Shanghai right now, and I can say that traffic and pedestrian anarchy is the normal. Electric scooters on the pavements, pedestrians strolling along multi lane highways, pedestrian light crossings ignored. Every taxi journey to work is a voyage of adventure

Also slightly off topic.... but yesterday I saw 3 Chinese guys driving the wrong way down the Night Bazar. Everyone was honking at them and pointing for them to turn around and travel the right way. They then pulled over, side by side, rather than in a line and asked a guy directions with map in hand. I couldn't hear them but guess he was saying the same as everyone else, your going the wrong way down a one way (which must have been obvious). They then discussed something together and continued driving the wrong way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing.

Regards TV

Edited by Rooo
Font
  • Like 1

It might help if we had side walks you could walk on. As is you have to watch out for parked motor bikes and at times parked cars on them not to mention side walk sellers telephone booths holes in the side walks and different elevations in them.

Quite right! The sidewalks are unusable as such. The roads are much more suitable for ambulation.

Here in the drear, which IS Belgium, it is normal for cyclists and motorcyclists to drive on the sidewalk, quite often at some speed.

By painting a pinkish colour ON the sidewalk, the Law (such as it is here) permits and even encourages this lunacy.

Yet crossing the street without a signal light to permit it - well.

one would not get out of my way yesterday,insisted on walking in the middle of the road,it was down a small soi, in front of my car,felt like running her down in the end,crazy people.

Does your car not have a horn?

I sent a friend of mine in Lopburi a air horn from a truck parts store in the US.. he say's it works really, really good. clap2.gif

It seems to be in their natures to spit in public places, step on your toes to get in front of you in queue, holler loudly over your head to each other from one end of the room to the others. I experienced that on a cruise ship to Alaska. So when someone suggested going to Chinatown in Seattle I declined much as I like Chinese food, I had enough of the Chinese manner/culture, whatever you call it.

• Like 2

Thais and Koreans don't walk down the middle of a street with lots of motor vehicles using it. tongue.png .

True and actually there is a sharp difference in looks between a Korean and Chinese However, the biggest difference is the part we can't see (inside between the ears) and although it pains me to say it, Koreans in general, are in a much higher league.

The Chinese believe that spitting clears out the digestive system, or something like that. The health benefits of a good hocker are considered to be quite positive. At least they're not wearing pajamas in public here, which is acceptable in China.

The Hong Kong Chinese don't like the mainlanders as the mainlanders are considered to be rude, uncultured and unsophisticated. This is a stereotype as I've known many well educated and sophisticated Chinese citizens. As with any nationality, it's the oddballs who create a bad name for the rest. Perhaps China simply has more oddballs?

Having lived in China, Hong Kong, Korea, Thailand and elsewhere in Asia, I nonetheless have to agree with a previous post commenting that the Koreans are in a higher league (more polite) than the generally ill-mannered people of China.

In China,pedestrians are at the bottom of the pecking order, even if you are a foreigner/western/laowai. They must give way to bikes and scooters, who must give way to cars and so on. A pedestrian crossing means nothing (except a target), as does a red light most of the time, so when in China, you have to give up all western ideas, that the traffic is going to stop for you.

As for spitting, the Chinese believe it is unhealthy to have gunk in your lungs, so they cough it up and spit it out. They laugh at us for spitting the gunk into a hankie or tissue then putting it back into our pockets. Many Chinese are poor, so they do not buy tissues, or if they have money, they are not in the habit of using tissues or putting anything in rubbish bins.

The traffic drives on the US/European side of the road in China, so they must have assumed Thailand was the same. I doubt if they had international licenses either, as the Chinese think their driver's/rider's licenses are good in any country (<deleted>?).

And finally the Chinese tourists wandering down the middle of the road like brown's cows is normal here in China, as the footpaths are so busy or full of electric bikes and scooters, or so badly broken up they are dangerous to walk on. They are tone deaf to horns, and a nudge will, as another TVer wrote, result in a compo payout. Best to give them a scare, but from experience, that doesn't always mean that they will actually LEARN anything from the experience.