The Ashes Tour 2013

I think one of England's problems is that they're picking almost a test side

to play ODI's. I know Pietersen and Broad didn't play, but I really don't think

guys like Cook, Bell and Root are going to hurt you too much in the limited

over stuff. They're good test cricketers.

If you look at the Aussie side, guys like Warner, Finch, Maxwell and Bailey

can be explosive but perhaps, with the exception of Warner, they aren't

good test players.

It was like Australia a long time ago when they sacked guys like Tubby Taylor,

Geoff Marsh, Ian Healy, David Boon etc and brought in guys like Gilchrest,

Symonds, Martyn etc.

I think they would be better off getting rid of the old school test cricketers and look

at some young big hitting, jet fielders like the Maxwell type.

Yes, you have to select horses for courses.

I remember the Australian selectors being totally clueless about 20/20 in the early days. They pretty well selected the test side for the first 20/20 World Cup and we went out in the first round. (I think the big headed players of the time felt they could do anything and thought they were entitled to the maximum payday.)

Edited by Old Croc

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do agree with the 'horses for courses' approach; and England do adopt it to some extent.

But remember that England have had some ODI success in recent years with this team; for example reaching the ICC trophy final last year.

Indeed in that competition the second highest scorer, behind Shikhar Dharwan of India, was the man many people reckon shouldn't be in the one day team; Jonathon Trott.

The problem England has had so far on this tour is that for some reason all of their players have at some point lost form and played well below their capabilities. That needs to be fixed before 2015; even if it means certain senior players (KP!) stepping down, or being dropped, before they want to go.

Hasn't helped that the Aussies all seem to have been playing above themselves as well!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I think Cookie must've been having a bad day.

Nothing much in this IMO.

Cook rails at Warne criticism

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/753843.html

Alastair Cook has called for "something to be done" about what he sees as

personal attacks upon his ability as a captain by Shane Warne.

Oh Warnie! The master gets into the head of yet another player

• Like 2

Cook is going through a bad patch as a batsman at the moment, as his scores at Lords and in the first innings at Headingly show.

England's over rate when fielding should be better. If it were, they would have got that 10th Sri Lankan wicket at Lords.

But slow over rates is a crime all Test teams are guilty of.

Warne is now a media employee and it's his job to spout his opinions.

Although are they his opinions or those of his Telegraph ghost writer?

As the ESPN article says

And while Cook may win some sympathy from those who find it ironic that Warne accuses anyone of being boring - suffice it to say his commentary stints are remarkably consistent - his somewhat intemperate comments risk making him appear weak and defensive. This was an occasion when Cook might have been better advised to play with the straightest of bats.

Quite; and Boycott and others said much the same on TMS. Cook should have either ignored Warne, or invited him for a private chat over a beer to ask him to cool it.

Responding publicly shows the comments are getting to him.

• Like 1

Boycott: "He could resign, Cook - he might if we lose. He's not happy in the job."

Ian Bell, who has been suggested in some quarters as a replacement: "I'm sure he's disappointed, as we all are, but he's got more hundreds than anyone for England and he's one of the best players I've ever played with. I'm not worried about his batting but, as a team, we have to get behind him."

Graeme Swann: "Of the current crop of players, Cook is the right man. I don't think Bell is the right man; Cook is more of a leader. Bell has found a position that suits him. I don't think the extra pressure would do him any good."

Source

The next Ashes are in England, and the team led by Cook beat you in last time in England.

The team led by Cook was whitewashed in Australia, thanks largely to one man; Mitchell Johnson!

A mercurial talent who on form is a match winner for his team; but when out of form can be a match winner for the opposition!

The next Ashes are in England, and the team led by Cook beat you in last time in England.

The team led by Cook was whitewashed in Australia, thanks largely to one man; Mitchell Johnson!

A mercurial talent who on form is a match winner for his team; but when out of form can be a match winner for the opposition!

To be fair, I thought Cook with his defensive and cautious Captaincy helped us tremendously!

Crikey, sounds like an enthralling day's cricket.

England nearly got out of jail.

I don't think there will be too many Aussies crying

in their cornflakes to see Jimmy Anderson getting

out with 1 ball to sparebiggrin.png

post-69328-0-08767500-1403656615_thumb.j

We had that argument at length at the time; I don't see the need to have it again now.

That discussion is worth repeating over and over and over tongue.png

Discussion/argument; mean the same.

We had that argument at length at the time; I don't see the need to have it again now.

That discussion is worth repeating over and over and over tongue.png

Discussion/argument; mean the same.

Eh?

Not to me they don't.

Discussion implies a general and usually calm exchange of idea

An argument denotes anger or a heated exchange

I'm not going to get into a heated exchange of views with you over the several definitions of the word argument!

Why do things have to be heated?

In all my posting differences with yourself I have never felt heated or angry.

Are you saying that u get heated?

Crikey, sounds like an enthralling day's cricket.

England nearly got out of jail.

I don't think there will be too many Aussies crying

in their cornflakes to see Jimmy Anderson getting

out with 1 ball to spare:D

I was working, so listening to it unfold on TMS; it was an enthralling day.

Having gone from looking like they would win within three, certainly four, days, England started the fifth having to bat out the day for a draw; and they almost managed it.

One has to feel for Anderson; all the world knew what was coming with that ball, and Swann on TMS was saying "Don't try to hit it, Jimmy; just let it hit you." (or words to that effect.

Unfortunately, instinct took over and he tried to fend it off.

Had he survived that ball and the next, it would have been one of the most famous 0 not outs ever. Even though he didn't, a valiant effort which deserves much praise, and I am saddened that anyone, even an Aussie, would find it something to laugh about.

Meanwhile, an outstanding innings from Moeen. Shame his maiden test 100 was in a losing cause.

Listening to the commentary, he was on 96 for ages and could have taken numerous risky shots to try for that 4 which would have given him his 100, but instead bided his time and took no chances. Playing for the team rather than himself.

I can think of several recent English batsmen who would have been thinking more of their own hundred than the need to bat out a draw and so easily have got themselves out trying for those four runs; the initials KP spring immediately to mind!

I'm not going to get into a heated exchange of views with you over the several definitions of the word argument!

Perhaps I should have put a smiley ( tongue.png for example) instead of an exclamation mark to make my meaning clear.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Perhaps I should have put a smiley ( tongue.png for example) instead of an exclamation mark to make my meaning clear.thumbsup.gif

yeah you got me there tongue.png

• Like 2

Ouch.

Boycott never afraid to call it as he see's it.

Alastair Cook shows how not to captain a Test team

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/alastair-cook-shows-how-not-to-captain-a-test-team-20140625-zslkd.html#ixzz35hdZHqwN

I will say this about Cook. he seems to get very fixated with his strategy and doesn't seem to have flexibility in mixing things up.

Can I suggest a new thread for Cricket?

'Cricket International Series'

He certainly did get stuck in a rut with no idea how to deal with Mathews on Monday; setting a field to tempt singles to get an in form batsman off strike aint going to work!

But comments I've heard on the radio from the likes of Prior and Bell show that his team are behind him.

As is his coach at Essex: England captain Alastair Cook subjected to 'witch-hunt' - Grayson.

Personally, I'll reserve judgement until after the India series; which begins 9th July.

Ouch.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/alastair-cook-shows-how-not-to-captain-a-test-team-20140625-zslkd.html#ixzz35hdZHqwN

I will say this about Cook. he seems to get very fixated with his strategy and doesn't seem to have flexibility in mixing things up.

Good idea.

The Ashes has long finished.

Ouch.

Good idea.

The Ashes has long finished.

Ill pop a thread up..

• Like 1