The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was no hotspot on the ball before it passed the bat; there was one on the ball after it had passed the bat; so where did that hot spot come from; what did the ball hit?

The purpose of the DRS is, or at least should be, to correct obvious mistakes by the onfield umpire; so as there was no obvious mistake in this case, the third umpire did the right thing.

Regardless of whether Hughes did hit it or not; it should be remembered that players, batters and bowlers from all levels and all countries, complain about the wrong decisions which went against them, but forget the ones in their favour.

I'll have to take your word on Maxwell. I've never heard him on ABC, but he does seem to be doing ok on TMS; especially in tandem with McGrath.

There was no hotspot on the ball before it passed the bat; there was one on the ball after it had passed the bat; so where did that hot spot come from; what did the ball hit?

Hotspot showed on the ball before it hit the bat

As I said, I didn't see it.

But all the commentary I've heard and reports I've read say that he hit it, the DRS showed he hit it and he knew he'd hit it.

Changing the subject:

SKY are showing pictures of Geoff Thompson signing autographs and having his photo taken in a hospitality box; God, he's got old!

They've also shown pictures of Merv Hughes in the crowd with an Australian tour group; God, he's got fat!

Edited by 7by7

Enough of all this hotspot <deleted> now ,time to move on to the 'catch that wasn't a catch'!!! Steve Smith catches an edge off Bell at slip.the ball clearly carries ,Smith clearly indicates that he caught it 'clean' .3rd umpire thought otherwise. Lord Gower & Mr Elizabeth Hurley are livid in the 'Royal commentary box'

Enough of all this hotspot  <deleted> now ,time to move on to the 'catch that wasn't a catch'!!! Steve Smith catches an edge off Bell at  slip.the ball clearly carries ,Smith clearly indicates that he caught it 'clean' .3rd umpire thought otherwise. Lord Gower & Mr Elizabeth Hurley are livid in the 'Royal commentary box'

That was bizarre...looked like a catch to me

Gower was trying to explain how the TV foreshortens the view; which it does.

Looked out to me; lucky escape for Bell.

Well done Joe Root on his first ton at Lords and first Ashes ton; and yet another 50 for Bell.

They seem to be pushing on a bit now after tea. Get a lead of around 550 (and let Bell get his hundred) and then have a go at the Aussie batsmen in the last half hour?

Don't think we'll be seeing Compton coming back as opener for a while after Root's effort. Though I'd be tempted to drop Pietersen and replace him with Compton.

Also, an opportunity for Root to get an innings in with little pressure. Confidence for the rest of the tour, hopefully.

biggrin.png

The Australians have been blown away by this partnership. England should put them in to bat for the last 30 minutes tonight, though England declarations are never as aggressive as I'd like.

Don't think we'll be seeing Compton coming back as opener for a while after Root's effort. Though I'd be tempted to drop Pietersen and replace him with Compton.

....And Compton plays where exactly?

He's only ever opened for England, I believe; but has played further down the order for both Middlesex and Somerset.

....And Compton plays where exactly?

He's only ever opened for England, I believe; but has played further down the order for both Middlesex and Somerset.

So he comes in at 4 instead of Pietersen? Is that what you are saying?

Can't you honestly think of any other English player that could play at 4 instead of Pietersen that would keep the scoreboard moving above Comptons pedestrian test strike rate of 35...

In both the first two tests of this series staying in and building a score has been far more important than strike rates.

I'd rather Compton scored 100 with a strike rate of 35 at number 4 than Pietersen get out for single figures yet again.

Who do you think should replace Pietersen; or do you reckon he should keep his place?

I don't understand why England have not declared. Leave the Australians wondering overnight whether there will be a morning declaration? Its not going to take 2 days to bowl the Australians out, but what exactly is the point in carrying on batting now?

In both the first two tests of this series staying in and building a score has been far more important than strike rates.

I'd rather Compton scored 100 with a strike rate of 35 at number 4 than Pietersen get out for single figures yet again.

Who do you think should replace Pietersen; or do you reckon he should keep his place?

Compton was only used as someone to see off the new ball in a low key tour of NZ ,that's why his back to back centuries in NZ were so easily dismissed along with Compton himself for this Ashes & the ever developing Root. England have a pretty dynamic middle order that can run away with the score rate at any given point, Pietersen IS the most dangerous & in full flow he can & has torn attacks apart. So yes I'd stick with Pietersen & I totally dismiss your reasoning to Comptons inclusion.

I don't understand why England have not declared. Leave the Australians wondering overnight whether there will be a morning declaration? Its not going to take 2 days to bowl the Australians out, but what exactly is the point in carrying on batting now?

Maybe the EWCB want to sell tickets for Monday?

But really is there any point in batting on tomorrow, humiliating the Aussies and grinding them further into the dust?

Oh, alright then!

Enough of all this hotspot <deleted> now ,time to move on to the 'catch that wasn't a catch'!!! Steve Smith catches an edge off Bell at slip.the ball clearly carries ,Smith clearly indicates that he caught it 'clean' .3rd umpire thought otherwise. Lord Gower & Mr Elizabeth Hurley are livid in the 'Royal commentary box'

That was bizarre...looked like a catch to me

It was.

Now tell me Mr Bookman....what are the Aussies chances now of winning back the wee urn?

Interesting....I doubt Pietersen will lose his place in this series....but he might be frozen out for the next.

Surprised by the comment....i thought I was the only one asking the question!

The consensus seems to be that by batting longer, they make the pitch more dangerous for Swann. Makes sense I suppose, they might as well let Root get his 200, get 600 on the board and then skittle out the hapless convicts for another meagre total.

I think they should let root get his 200, there will be plenty of time to get the Aussies out and have Monday off...

Nah...let Bell his 100....he deserves it more.

He can save his for his next game. Tons is four successive Ashes matches. A rare feat.

• Like 1

I think they should let root get his 200, there will be plenty of time to get the Aussies out and have Monday off...

Bell was out for 74 ,just as him and Root were pushing on & flailing the toothless aussie attack to all corners.

Bell was out for 74 ,just as him and Root were pushing on & flailing the toothless aussie attack to all corners.

I see that now.....oh well the 200 then. Its a tough decision.....where is Bookman....and David48? tongue.pngtongue.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif