Beer bellies are a myth

Bagwan

Beer bellies are a myth

I do have to agree, had the so called beer belly for 50 odd years, and I don't drink, have had the odd one over the years, but guess maybe had 5 in the past 10 years, maybe 1 or 2 a year in all the years before that. much rather have a coffee.

• Like 1

Weight loss or gain is a very simple mathematical formula,if you take on board more calories than you burn you will, gain weight and vice versa!
Also.the body will never store fat deposits in only one specific area,just like you cannot target areas of the body from which to lose weight!

• Like 2

only two reasons why someone has a big gut.

1/ being a pig with food

2/little or no excercise

Clearly written by someone who has not experienced a changing metabolism. Or a metabolism that some people were just plain born with. Before 50 I was thin. Now I eat less and exercise a lot more, but the change that happened is, if not impossible to reverse, at least damn difficult. I'm managing a holding pattern, but it takes a lot of effort. No need to be judgmental, it can happen to the best of us . . . or some of the best of us are just born that way.

Edited by montrii
  • Like 2

1/ being a pig with food

2/little or no excersise

Probably a good idea to study some on Metabolism before you share everything your mother told you as fact.

Metabolism has a TON to do with it. The only error that poster made was adding "only".

"Beer belly" is merely a phrase. The body really doesn't care where the calories come from, be that beer, cookies, or a salad. Many men are genetically inclined to store fat in the abdomen, so if they take in more calories than they expend, the belly is where it is first noticed.

The phrase probably has to do with the stereotypical view of the type of man who comes home, plops on the sofa, and drinks a six-pack. With about 840 calories in that, the beer alone is a huge percentage of this type of guy's daily caloric intake. Add in the breakfast, the fast-food lunch, and then dinner, well, if he doesn't exercise quite a bit, he's going to gain weight. You have to eat to survive, but without the beer, the guy might not have enough calories to develop the gut, hence it being referred to as a "beer belly."

1/ being a pig with food

2/little or no excersise

wrong......sugar is to blame too much sugar in our diets and it turns to fat.....better to get your body to use fat for fuel ( ketosis ) and dont eat sugars or carbs.too much rice ,bread ,pasta (carbs ) will make you fat.

1/ being a pig with food

2/little or no excercise

Clearly written by someone who has not experienced a changing metabolism. Or a metabolism that some people were just plain born with. Before 50 I was thin. Now I eat less and exercise a lot more, but the change that happened is, if not impossible to reverse, at least dam_n difficult. I'm managing a holding pattern, but it takes a lot of effort. No need to be judgmental, it can happen to the best of us . . . or some of the best of us are just born that way.

I have the same problem, but my holding pattern seems to have been broken since I have stopped drinking alcohol.

Has only taken three weeks, but already my belt is using another belt hole ie my waist is shrinking!

Sugar, a useless high calorie product with no nutritional value, is in fact the #1 cause of obesity.

Calorie input versus calorie output.

It's white rice, bread, potatoes and noodles. High glycemic foods.

Carbs are necessary, just eat lower glycemic value ones.

In 3 months I'm here I went from a large 36 waist to a 34 simply by reducing my caloric intake and walking...at 51.

I do not take in any processed sugar and ate healthy meals.

Each person is unique as to where the fat storage goes first and where it comes off last.

To say it can't be done is inaccurate, it's usually a lack of desire, motivation and willpower.

Edited by Nowisee

1/ being a pig with fo

2/little or no excersise

wrong......sugar is to blame too much sugar in our diets and it turns to fat.....better to get your body to use fat for fuel ( ketosis ) and dont eat sugars or carbs.too much rice ,bread ,pasta (carbs ) will make you fat.

People lose weight in their hospital beds just by eating balanced meals...and they cannot exercise (obviously).. Everyone is a bit wrong here. You ever see those fat people in the gym who never lose weight, and then walk outside and see a skinny 59 year old man gulping down hotdogs with his beer? I think we all have.Psychology (addictions, defensive mechanisms, depression) as well as physiological conditions (genetics, thyroid and glandular problems, diseases) play into the equation. Also, fad diets deprive your body of what it may be looking for and can trigger metabolic changes (Survival mode .. body stores more fat on less intake). I am old fashioned and tend to believe small meals in moderation (as you get when you lay in bed at the hospital) are effective. Exercise makes you tone up and feel better....but you are only going to burn off a few cookies worth of calories...so that is not the real problem.

1/ being a pig with fo

2/little or no excersise

People lose weight in their hospital beds just by eating balanced meals...and they cannot exercise (obviously).. Everyone is a bit wrong here. You ever see those fat people in the gym who never lose weight, and then walk outside and see a skinny 59 year old man gulping down hotdogs with his beer? I think we all have.Psychology (addictions, defensive mechanisms, depression) as well as physiological conditions (genetics, thyroid and glandular problems, diseases) play into the equation. Also, fad diets deprive your body of what it may be looking for and can trigger metabolic changes (Survival mode .. body stores more fat on less intake). I am old fashioned and tend to believe small meals in moderation (as you get when you lay in bed at the hospital) are effective. Exercise makes you tone up and feel better....but you are only going to burn off a few cookies worth of calories...so that is not the real problem.

A moderate diet is necessary, but to say exercise only had minimal effect is simply not true. Study after study have shown that exercise is vital for most people in losing weight.

People who exercise vigorously burn off far more than "a few cookies." A good exercise program can burn off 800-1,000 calories, or from 25-30% of the average caloric intake. However, even moderate exercise has benefits. As people cut down on calories, the body adjusts with a lower metabolism. About the only way to fight that, other than with some drugs, is to keep active and exercise, thereby keeping the body from slowing down.

In a hospital, the dietitians take inactivity into consideration in what they feed people. Unless they are burn victims or people who need more calories to recover, they keep the calories in the meals down.

People lose weight in hospital through muscle wastage. If the hospital feeds you more than your calorie needs, you may replace this with fat, but it's still not good. Better to come out scrawny than come out scrawny and carrying a gut as well.

SC

Personally, I have a great deal of belief in my own beer gut. Whilst I am sure similar effects could be achieved otherwise, the residual sugars on top of the alcohol, the extra plate of chips when you're pissed, and the missed sessions in the gym when you're hung over all link the gut to that first pint of Guinness

SC

Most of you are mostly ill informed. In the mid 90's I lost 50 plus pounds using the advice of Covert Baily's 1994 book "Smart Exercise". It is technical and a little hard to read, but I am rereading it how as I have been sick the last four years and need to and I am going to do it again. On a major book selling web site I see he has a newer book 2000,"The Ultimate Fit or Fat" that looks easy. If you have questions "G" or "Bing" him, and/or check out his books on the book selling sites.

1/ being a pig with fo

2/little or no excersise

A moderate diet is necessary, but to say exercise only had minimal effect is simply not true. Study after study have shown that exercise is vital for most people in losing weight.

People who exercise vigorously burn off far more than "a few cookies." A good exercise program can burn off 800-1,000 calories, or from 25-30% of the average caloric intake. However, even moderate exercise has benefits. As people cut down on calories, the body adjusts with a lower metabolism. About the only way to fight that, other than with some drugs, is to keep active and exercise, thereby keeping the body from slowing down.

In a hospital, the dietitians take inactivity into consideration in what they feed people. Unless they are burn victims or people who need more calories to recover, they keep the calories in the meals down.

Just normal activity is enough....few people burn a thousand calories. a gym workout for an average guy like me burns 350-400 calories. There is hope for people that do not go to gyms...just walk instead of ride.....but dont expect to burn 1000 calories... a 3 mile run might burn 400. I am all for exercise...but many, many people do not go to the gym. A simple diet and walking are enough.