Isolated small schools must run combined classes to cope

Lite Beer

Isolated small schools must run combined classes to cope
Tanpisit Lerdbamrungchai
The Nation on Sunday

Chiang Rai: -- When pupils from two classes have to study together under one teacher, those in one class are taught first while those in the other class do exercises and wait their turn to be taught by the same teacher. This is what normally happens at small schools with limited resources.

Combined classes are being tried to address this problem.

Among those implementing this teaching arrangement are Pha Khwang Witthaya School's Khwae Wuadam branch in Chiang Rai's Muang district (with 39 students and three teachers), and Pasak Ngam School in Chiang Mai's Doi Saket district (with nine students and two teachers).

At Pha Khwang Witthaya, Prathom 1 (Grade 1) has been combined with Prathom 2 (Grade 2), Prathom 3 with Prathom 4, and Prathom 5 with Prathom 6. Also, Pasak Ngam has combined Prathom 1, 2 and 3, but Prathom 4, 5 and 6 have studied in the same combined class.

Located in isolated areas - Pha Khwang Witthaya in a mountainous area and Pasak Ngam in an area where a dam separates it from other parts of the district - they are considered small schools that cannot be merged with bigger ones or closed down, although Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana has issued a policy to merge small schools.

He recently visited both schools to listen to their problems before deciding how to provide further assistance to small schools that are unable to merge with larger ones due to their isolated locations. The combined classes idea was conceived by the Office of Basic Education Commission to assist small schools cope with the problem of limited resources.

Slower teaching

However, the teaching process was much slower than in schools with proper resources, Lerphong Phorn-phininworakij, acting director of the Khwae Wuadam branch, said.

A classroom of the school branch is noisy in the morning as pupils recite multiplication tables, but in the afternoon one can hear the sound of looms with which they weave cloth.

This is the way in which all the 39 pupils at Pha Khwang Witthaya School's Khwae Wuadam branch in Chiang Rai's Muang district enhance their learning.

The students are taught core curriculum subjects - maths, science, Thai and English language - in the morning. In the afternoon, the classes turn into occupational training rooms where local residents pass on their occupational skills to the pupils.

Suriyon Suriyodon, director of Pasak Ngam, said the number of teachers there was not enough to teach every subject to all the students.

His school has also made use of resources from its surrounding communities, including natural learning methods and locals who volunteer to teach students on how to grow vegetables and raise hens for eggs.

After visiting both schools, Phong-thep said the ministry would provide them with more resources for the sake of the students. The school would be equipped with a satellite for distance learning and temporary teachers would be assigned to teach subjects with which local teachers were not so familiar. Locals would also take part in passing on their wisdom - such as weaving and basketry - so that students can apply them in their working lives. He urged local people and local administrative organisations to support the schools, as the budget from the ministry alone is not enough.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-16

It's always a good idea to read the OP. The larger of the schools mentioned is 39 students, so no classes with 50 students in it. The gov't did have a plan to close down small schools, but it was met with stiff opposition.

At some point a decision will have to made about the allocation of resources. Keeping very small schools open is very costly, especially if the are to provide any quality education. Closing them is an extreme hardship on parents and children, particularly if the students must travel long distances.

The free tablet pledge is still going on right? The powers are installing free internet services in Bkk right? Skype is free right? if this is the case then the MOE should perhaps consider putting up internet towers in all the remote areas and offer free distance learning (internet learning) with test conducted under supervision at the nearest school.

Teaching is a little more complex than having internet connection and remote supervision of schools and students. Young learners, and most small, remote schools are going to be lower grades, require a teacher-intensive learning environment.

Students need a hands-on approach. Everything from someone teaching them how to hold a pencil to abstract subjects. Also, schools function to instill the behavior of what is considered to be good citizens. I think it would be difficult to learn to wai correctly via remote supervision or how to stand straight for the National Anthem. Don't get me started on how to march properly.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that somebody hasn't suggested closing schools that are not economically viable on the grounds that the kids don't learn much anyway.

Don't those that make up the red mobs and their acolytes realise that their leaders are ensuring that another generation of cannon fodder is produced? Do they not realise that their overweaning arrogance in their beliefs ensures a constant free flowing supply of the ignorant and feckless to take to the streets to batter down opposition to policies that have been blatantly shown to be ineffective in solving Thailand multitude of problems.

Thailand - I cry for you.

• Like 2

I don't want to get into a political discussion, but the gov't did try to close small schools. It was met with stiff resistance.

At the end of the day, a decision is going to have to made about whether or not they want quality education. Many small schools are just simply not viable, unless there is going to be a huge amount of resources allocated, it's probably best to consolidate the small schools.

In the very early primary years, it's a good idea to have the schools as close to the community as possible, but after a few years, it gets to be too expensive.

Schools are resource-intensive and thus expensive to operate.

• Like 2

Teaching is a little more complex than having internet connection and remote supervision of schools and students. Young learners, and most small, remote schools are going to be lower grades, require a teacher-intensive learning environment.

Students need a hands-on approach. Everything from someone teaching them how to hold a pencil to abstract subjects. Also, schools function to instill the behavior of what is considered to be good citizens. I think it would be difficult to learn to wai correctly via remote supervision or how to stand straight for the National Anthem. Don't get me started on how to march properly.

May be I misunderstood you but I am hearing it is OK to give inferior teaching to the small schools. Why if they had a tower and the promised pad could they not learn the same way as a kid in Bangkok.

Maybe people and the government should rethink there approach to this whole education thing and start with the neediest rather than make up excuses for why they can't.

We had the same problem in my country. We dealt with it by creating a distance education consortium with members who represented the areas with small schools.

We put in place microphones and faxes in each small school and the same in the teachers homes. We were able to offer more core and elective courses to much larger groups of dispersed students using part time and retired teachers. We needed one adult to supervise the students periodically but it worked well and was economical.

That was in 1987. Now the technology has evolved to give students visual interactive connections to the teacher and the internet using one of many available conferencing applications of which at least one is directly targeting this issue

Of course I have missed an important business process that exists in this country. A problem well discussed in many threads so I will leave that alone.

May be I misunderstood you but I am hearing it is OK to give inferior teaching to the small schools. Why if they had a tower and the promised pad could they not learn the same way as a kid in Bangkok.

Maybe people and the government should rethink there approach to this whole education thing and start with the neediest rather than make up excuses for why they can't.

Teaching style in Thai schools is already 99 per cent passive - listen repeat copy what the teacher says. Quality education will need more activity from the students not less. Start with training teachers how to teach.......

Edited by bangon04

Distance learning is a great tool, but it is not necessarily effective for young learners. Once students have the basics, you can use this approach, but these remote schools are dealing with quite young children usually.

I might add that many of these remote schools do not have electricity or internet.

Teaching style in Thai schools is already 99 per cent passive - listen repeat copy what the teacher says. Quality education will need more activity from the students not less. Start with training teachers how to teach.......

Could you please tell everyone where you gained your teaching qualification from? I ask this because if you are just spewing out the same old anti Thai teaching style comment then you have failed to look at the bigger picture. Many Thai students that study in the government system are from poorly educated families who see nothing further than the next salary and as such their child's education isn't a priority. Like anywhere in the world that is classed as developing things need to change to be able to be considered " first world" so whilst the education system isn't to your liking nor are the teachers up to your standards again I pose the question. Where did you get your teaching degree and why aren't you helping the situation rather than berating it.?

I won't presume to think for one minute you have all the answers but I would be presumptuous in thinking you have a Masters in education and that every Thai teacher could learn from you and all Thailand has to do is get in touch with you and no doubt you would be willing to help these inept teachers to teach.

I don't want to get into a political discussion, but the gov't did try to close small schools. It was met with stiff resistance.

At the end of the day, a decision is going to have to made about whether or not they want quality education. Many small schools are just simply not viable, unless there is going to be a huge amount of resources allocated, it's probably best to consolidate the small schools.

In the very early primary years, it's a good idea to have the schools as close to the community as possible, but after a few years, it gets to be too expensive.

so are you saying that when the little kids grow older ,they can close the school down,,,???? thats presuming no-one has children anymore,,after, schools are expensive,,but what price education,,mind you they dont need schools if all there guna do is weave baskets for the remainder of there lives,,

Could you please tell everyone where you gained your teaching qualification from? I ask this because if you are just spewing out the same old anti Thai teaching style comment then you have failed to look at the bigger picture. Many Thai students that study in the government system are from poorly educated families who see nothing further than the next salary and as such their child's education isn't a priority. Like anywhere in the world that is classed as developing things need to change to be able to be considered " first world" so whilst the education system isn't to your liking nor are the teachers up to your standards again I pose the question. Where did you get your teaching degree and why aren't you helping the situation rather than berating it.?

I won't presume to think for one minute you have all the answers but I would be presumptuous in thinking you have a Masters in education and that every Thai teacher could learn from you and all Thailand has to do is get in touch with you and no doubt you would be willing to help these inept teachers to teach.

everyone knows thai education is rubbish,or if you like pisspoor,maybe you should become a teacher as you seem to know how to do it better,,

so are you saying that when the little kids grow older ,they can close the school down,,,???? thats presuming no-one has children anymore,,after, schools are expensive,,but what price education,,mind you they dont need schools if all there guna do is weave baskets for the remainder of there lives,,

No, but they may only be able to weave baskets for the remainder of their lives if they don't get an education.

When you have a 2000 student high school, most classes on some days were teacher less, because they were in a meeting.

teachers were in the day room playing war games on computers. 100 students took the time outdoors to play what games were available.

if the well to do schools behave like this, because monies allocated are brilliant . then people are screaming about small schools are expensive to run.

If you have a( big noise) running a school, you can get over funding for the term, hence the reason some schools are running big bus trips regular- we used to call them teachers outings in England.

Spread the money around, and YES subsidise the little village schools---no excuses.

I wonder the administrative cost of a school with two teachers and a director.

I know of a farang headmaster who is paid a whopping 28K baht per month. On the other hand I know of a village school headmistress (a Thai lady) who a couple of years ago built a house on 5 rai and surrounded the entire by a 6 foot wall thus isolating herself from the peasant local community.

• Like 1

The demographics of the rural areas have changed dramatically in the last 30 years. It is a difficult issue to solve, but the average age of the villages had increased dramatically and there are many fewer kids out there than 30 years ago.

Wow - growing vegetables, raising chickens, weaving cloth, basket making. Sounds like an ideal curriculum for peasants, dependent on the government for hand-outs and subsidies, and happy to vote for whoever offers the most of both.

Really, there's not much point teaching them to read well because there's not a decent library for 500km. They have never seen a map because outside of Thailand's borders there are only lesser people, and finding out the incomes of "farangs" would only upset them.

OzMick, you always come through for me.. thanks.. clap2.gif

• Like 1