Schwab One Personal International Account

Schwab just closed my US account probably because they assumed that I lived overseas. It was a great run while it lasted.

They suggested that I apply for their international account.

It appears that the debit card the international account issues has the same features as the US Schwab one.

The one main difference is that the US account is a banking account while the international one is a brokerage account.

Anyone get this account just to get the debit card?

I know you need to initially deposit US $10K which does not have to be maintained.

They did say I needed to have some brokerage activity.

I could transfer one of my low valued stocks to show activity.

I would prefer not to do that because I was told that this account cannot have a beneficiary.

I plan to call them once again to confirm this.

Has anyone gotten around this requirement?

Any thoughts on this schwab account?

Since it doesn't include a bank account, I assume you can't have US social security or other direct deposits made to it, nor can you have credit card or other accounts settled by direct debit from it.

It does say you can write checks, but since there's no bank account included, I'm not sure what account you're writing checks on.

I haven't gone back and checked, but I seem to recall that the brokerage charges on the US account were cheaper than those on the international account.

(What kind of address were you using in the US? Schwab's agreement is clear that it must be a US residential address of some sort, so a mailbox service for example probably wouldn't do.)

No offense, you are just guessing and have no experience about this type of account.

For a starter, this is an international account and does not require a US address.

Anyone have any experience with this type of account?

Excuse me for trying to help.

I did look into it two years ago and decided the US account was better. I know perfectly well the difference between the US and International accounts.

:Perhaps Schwab had pretty good reasons for closing your account.

No offense intended, of course.

Edited by taxout

I have experience with both Schwab One International and Schwab One domestic brokerage accounts. Schwab hasn't targeted you individually. Like all US brokers now they're simply under pressure to make sure they're complying with international cross-border agreements for US-based mutual funds. Many US brokers are handling the current state of play by trying to force the closing of their overseas US customer's accounts. Instead of going that route, Schwab is using its Schwab International operations to segregate their domestic and overseas customers, thereby allowing US overseas customers to continue to broke with Schwab. The fees on the two types of brokerage accounts (international and domestic) - as far as I can tell - are the same.

Schwab brokerage accounts (international and domestic) use PNC Bank for checking services and BNY Mellon for Visa/debit card services. You can arrange ACH transactions and direct deposits to either type of Schwab brokerage account. I would have thought that would include US social security payments but you can always call Schwab 24/7 and ask. I do not know about having a beneficiary, but believe you can title a brokerage account as "Transfer on Death" - again, best to call and ask Schwab to be sure.

Hope this helps. If you speak to Schwab and learn more it would be great if you could post here.

Edited by Misty
  • Like 1

I started with a Schwab brokerage account, then opened a domestic banking account and recently opened an international account for trading equities in foreign markets.

As to your question, it is a brokerage account and you will need to show activity in order to continue taking advantage of the perks. Simply transferring a single equity isn't going to do it. Activity means trading history. Best bet is to call a rep and get the minimum requirements to maintain an international account.

Maintaining a US address is not that difficult. There are any number of mail forwarding services that will provide you with a physical US address for snail mail. Fees are nominal depending on the volume of snail mail you receive. This would allow you to keep your domestic account should you wish.

I have experience with both Schwab One International and Schwab One domestic brokerage accounts. Schwab hasn't targeted you individually. Like all US brokers now they're simply under pressure to make sure they're complying with international cross-border agreements for US-based mutual funds. Many US brokers are handling the current state of play by trying to force the closing of their overseas US customer's accounts. Instead of going that route, Schwab is using its Schwab International operations to segregate their domestic and overseas customers, thereby allowing US overseas customers to continue to broke with Schwab. The fees on the two types of brokerage accounts (international and domestic) - as far as I can tell - are the same.

Schwab brokerage accounts (international and domestic) use PNC Bank for checking services and BNY Mellon for Visa/debit card services. You can arrange ACH transactions and direct deposits to either type of Schwab brokerage account. I would have thought that would include US social security payments but you can always call Schwab 24/7 and ask. I do not know about having a beneficiary, but believe you can title a brokerage account as "Transfer on Death" - again, best to call and ask Schwab to be sure.

Hope this helps. If you speak to Schwab and learn more it would be great if you could post here.

Thanks.

I did speak to a schwab rep regarding the international account.

I am sure some of you have experienced the misinformation that financial customer reps provide.

I find it necessary to call a company several times to confirm information already given to me.

The schwab rep I spoke to told me I could NOT have a beneficiary. Of course I will call again to ask another rep.

That is why I am asking on this forum about people's experience with this account.

I am primarily interested in getting easy and fee free access to my money and not doing any brokerage activity if I can get away with it.

Do you have/use the debit card from the international account?

Is it indeed fee free and all fees are refunded?

I started with a Schwab brokerage account, then opened a domestic banking account and recently opened an international account for trading equities in foreign markets.

As to your question, it is a brokerage account and you will need to show activity in order to continue taking advantage of the perks. Simply transferring a single equity isn't going to do it. Activity means trading history. Best bet is to call a rep and get the minimum requirements to maintain an international account.

Maintaining a US address is not that difficult. There are any number of mail forwarding services that will provide you with a physical US address for snail mail. Fees are nominal depending on the volume of snail mail you receive. This would allow you to keep your domestic account should you wish.

I do have a US address but it still didn't help. I asked the rep about transfering a stock and he said that would be ok. Of course, I will have to call at least 2 more times and ask the same question to get confirmation.

I had a Merrill Lynch CMA account for 25+ years, all of the time living outside of the USofA with no domestic address and being a USofA citizen. Was given 30 day notice that the account was to be closed as I did not have a domestic address. Extremely inconvenient and a bunch of lying jerks running their operations.

Opened a Schwab One International account and transferred the ML assets over to it. I can have Social Security and other retirement payments deposited although the routing of those deposits to the account is not initially a straight forward process. Checking, debit card included.

Working through their Phoenix AZ operations center can be a slow pain as they are very inefficient and slow to respond. I have also not found a way to communicate with them directly. They actually duplicated a transfer of funds to my Thai bank account although the telephone rep had noted that the transfer was not to be duplicated.

My biggest problem with them is not being able to name a beneficiary to the brokerage account. They have been adamant that this is not possible. I'll check into that "Transfer on Death" possibility.

To date there have been no extra charges and the debit card and check services have worked perfectly. Just keep away from having the Phoenix center having anything to do with your account.

I am open to 'pm' correspondence on this.

You can get the international account on EITHER the brokerage side or the banking side or both. The primary difference (that I know of) between an international account and a US domestic account is that you cannot have the "electronic billpay" service with an international account. The reason for this is not some quirk within Schwab. The reason is the euphemistically named Patriot Act, which bites at the heels of every American expat, whether you know it or not.

Now, if you have a real physical US address, I am very surprised you had a problem with the domestic account. Every Schwab rep with whom I have talked over the years knows I am in Thailand -- they even have my phone number here. I have been told that as long as I can produce a PHYSICAL US address (not a P.O.box or Mailboxes, etc.), I can have the domestic account with the billpay service, which I use for making payments within the US. I use my sister's address. I was also recently told that I can have BOTH a domestic and international account simultaneously. The advantage to an international account that is getting Social Security deposits is that you can draw the funds out in in Thailand in amounts over $1,000 without calling Schwab for pre-authorization every month.

By the way, Schwab has the ONLY truly toll-free telephone number I have ever encountered. You can call Schwab toll free from your Thai cell phone by dialing 001-800-1165-6066-8. It will not take one baht off your phone.

I had a Merrill Lynch CMA account for 25+ years, all of the time living outside of the USofA with no domestic address and being a USofA citizen. Was given 30 day notice that the account was to be closed as I did not have a domestic address. Extremely inconvenient and a bunch of lying jerks running their operations.

Opened a Schwab One International account and transferred the ML assets over to it. I can have Social Security and other retirement payments deposited although the routing of those deposits to the account is not initially a straight forward process. Checking, debit card included.

Working through their Phoenix AZ operations center can be a slow pain as they are very inefficient and slow to respond. I have also not found a way to communicate with them directly. They actually duplicated a transfer of funds to my Thai bank account although the telephone rep had noted that the transfer was not to be duplicated.

My biggest problem with them is not being able to name a beneficiary to the brokerage account. They have been adamant that this is not possible. I'll check into that "Transfer on Death" possibility.

To date there have been no extra charges and the debit card and check services have worked perfectly. Just keep away from having the Phoenix center having anything to do with your account.

I am open to 'pm' correspondence on this.

I have beneficiaries on all my Schwab accounts. You have to find and fill out the right forms. There are so many combinations and permutations that it can get complicated finding the correct form and is probably the reason you got bad advice (the Schwab reps sometimes get confused, too; it's a jungle).

You can do ALMOST everything online. Normally, when I call the Schwab rep, I have my accounts up online in from of me. If I am trying to find a form, the rep clicks through the screens at his end, telling me what to click at my end. If you do not have Internet access to Schwab, well, that's gonna be a problem. I would say you need to get it and learn how to use it.

You can dial direct free from your Thai cell phone 24 hours a day at 001-800-1165-6066-8. Normally, it is the Phoenix or Denver office that answers. If you previously spoke with "Nick in Phoenix," you can ask to be transferred to Nick in Phoenix. There is a difference between the Schwab "bank" side and the Schwab "brokerage" side. If you need Schwab Bank help, ask to be transferred to the banking side. I think the banking side's hours are something like 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EDT. The brokerage side is 24 hours. It is MUCH easier to make electronic deposits (e.g. social Security) to an account on the "bank" side. I never have any trouble with them.

I, too, ditched Merrill Lynch years ago. I don't know how those dinosaur <deleted> manage to even survive. Oh wait, they got a bail out.

By the way, anybody wants to know about adding a beneficiary to any Schwab account can PM me with a phone number and I'll be happy to call you to help. I will NOT do it by e-mail or further PM -- phone only. Too many questions to be asked and answered, and I don't have time for it.

I do have a US address but it still didn't help. I asked the rep about transfering a stock and he said that would be ok. Of course, I will have to call at least 2 more times and ask the same question to get confirmation.

Perhaps you told the rep, "I don't live in the US; I live in Thailand full time, but have a US address." If you said something like that, the rep may have been compelled by the laws to tell you "no way Jose" for the domestic account. You have to play the game. I NEVER lie, but I play the game. I say things like, "Here is my US address, blah, blah, blah. I am in Thailand right now and am not sure when I will return home. It may be two months or it may be two years." They accept that and then they can play the game, too. I have a permanent US telephone number (you need that, too) that is voicemail only. If I get a voicemail, the service sends me a recording of it by email. Costs about 10 bucks a year.

Keep in mind that 99.9% of Schwab's customers are NOT expats, so when we call with expat-specific questions, "Like why can't I have billpay on my international account?" they may not have a ready answer. I took me a while and some persistence to finally learn that the Patriot Act was the culprit.

"I am primarily interested in getting easy and fee free access to my money and not doing any brokerage activity if I can get away with it." Then you want to open an account on the "banking" side; not the "brokerage" side. I have several of both, though I am currently working on thinning them out.

Edited by Ticketmaster

Regarding my address. I have a real US address. I use my brother's address, no PO box. On several occasions, a rep would suggest that I open an international account since it appears that I live in Thailand. On those occasions, I reiterated that I lived in the US but spend time in Asia. Since wife is Chinese, I also have spend lots of time in China where I used the card there.

They refused to give me the reason for the closure on the phone so I hope the letter they are sending me at my US address will elaborate the reason. The phone number might have been my weak link as it was disconnected, but they never mentioned to me that they have tried to call me and the phone was disconnected.

All of this is very interesting because I tried to open a joint account for a Schwab Bank high yield checking account which comes with a brokerage account also and with joint owners. I was able to fund the brokerage account but around a week later I tried to fund the checking account and it would not work so I called back in and the rep said I had to talk to someone in the back office who basically told me since their computer system could tell I was currently in Thailand and even though I am not a resident of Thailand and my residence is in the USA they would not open my checking account unless I went in person to one of their offices in the USA.

So has anyone been successful at opening a Schwab bank US checking account while in Thailand?

OR will there international accounts refund all atm fees as their US checking account will?

Thanks

I have an account with Schwab International in Hong Kong for some 20 years now. In order to set a beneficiary, I nominated my wife as joint account holder. I buy/sell via Schwab internet brokerage service from my domicile in Bangkok.

I have an account with Schwab International in Hong Kong for some 20 years now. In order to set a beneficiary, I nominated my wife as joint account holder. I buy/sell via Schwab internet brokerage service from my domicile in Bangkok.

My wife Is not a US citizen, is yours?

• 1 month later...

I had a very similar problem with Options House brokerage. They saw I was always logging in from Thailand. I had to send them a ton of documentation to prove I am a resident of the USA, or they would close the account. I now always use a VPN when logging on. No further issues. I think I had better start doing this with Schwab as well. I would not like losing that account! Vagabond, did you ever get an explanation from Schwab?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Regarding my address. I have a real US address. I use my brother's address, no PO box. On several occasions, a rep would suggest that I open an international account since it appears that I live in Thailand. On those occasions, I reiterated that I lived in the US but spend time in Asia. Since wife is Chinese, I also have spend lots of time in China where I used the card there. They refused to give me the reason for the closure on the phone so I hope the letter they are sending me at my US address will elaborate the reason. The phone number might have been my weak link as it was disconnected, but they never mentioned to me that they have tried to call me and the phone was disconnected.

Although I realize this dealt with an account closure, from my personal experience in opening a U.S. financial account (e.g., bank account, brokerage acct, etc) that some of the financial companies are looking for more than just a U.S. address...they also may look for financial transaction activity within the physical U.S./your local home address immediate area to help confirm your U.S. residence/home address. I mean certain financial activity that would usually require or at least indicate your physical presence to accomplish versus being able to do it solely online.

They may look for financial activities/charges/bills around your home address area....they do this by reviewing data from various credit reporting agencies and even govt databases like county/city property tax databases. And their IT systems are evaluating all this data as to whether the account or application should be flagged for further review/validation. This happened to me when opening a U.S. financial account (the name I will keep to myself, so don't ask), but when I called to find out the status of my application/opening deposit that is what I found out from the CSR since they couldn't find any recent financial activity around my U.S. home address. So, we then went through a question and answer test to confirm who I said I was, that was indeed a valid home address for me, etc. I passed the test and the account was opened.

I will add a bit of personal experience relating to US brokerage accounts/debit cards. Using a VPN. And, logging into accounts from here in Thailand.

My TD-Ameritrade debit card incurs no foreign exchange transaction fee. Back-to-back pulls of equal amounts with Schwab card (Visa) and TD-Ameritrade card (Visa) yield the same deduction via an Aeon ATM. But, ATM charges are not reimbursed with TD-Ameritrade.

I applied for my Schwab account/card two years ago. From here. Mailed in the application. Did not do online. And, have logged in weekly from here ever since. And, do monthly pulls. No problems. since first opening the account.

And, I have logged into the TD-Ameritrade account from here for many years.

But, two years ago, I received an email that my TD-Ameritrade account was closed. Reason? I was at a hotel in Chiang Rai and used a VPN (US based server) to log into my account. My first time to log into the account using a VPN. And, their IT people flagged my account login as being through a VPN?

The opening of the account required a long phone conversation. Being asked many questions about past personal information. Information databased from many years of credit reports. A bit difficult. Remembering cars owned, addresses lived, people you have known over many years, etc. But, after the initial shock, everything went well. Answered the questions. Told them I was in Thailand. Extended vacation. Account reopened.

Further conversation with the CS folks revealed more regarding their IT security procedures. VPN are a concern to them. And, I gather that once they are suspicious of a particular VPN, then everyone that logs in through that VPN is flagged. As, in my case. I, also, learned during the conversation there had been an attempt of fraud through the VPN I was using.

A few months went by, logging in as normal. Then, I stayed in the same hotel in Chiang Rai. Logged into the TD-Ameritrade account. Next day, received another email that my account was closed. Another conversation with their CS. Seems the IT security still had record of my last login from there. How? And, flagged the account. Even though, I had not used a VPN. The account was reopened using the same procedure again. Easier, the second time. The IT people didn't want to answer any particulars about the flagging. I then pointedly asked if the problem was with my logging in from Thailand. No, that was not the problem. The VPN login was/had been the problem.

And, all that said, I have logged into the TD-Ameritrade account almost weekly ever since then. And, no problem.

Anyway, this is my experience. Obviously, I am wary about using a VPN to log into accounts.

As additional information, I recently obtained a Fidelity Brokerage account. Doing it all online from here. Their procedure to verify applicants is your answering questions gleaned from your past credit reports. And, the experience reopening my TD-Ameritrade account was quite helpful.

Cheers

I would not like losing that account! Vagabond, did you ever get an explanation from Schwab?

After several calls to get to the bottom of this, I spoke to a customer advocacy rep, he told me, just as I had the right to close my account with Schwab without any explanation, they had the same right. Could not argue with him.

I would not like losing that account! Vagabond, did you ever get an explanation from Schwab?

After several calls to get to the bottom of this, I spoke to a customer advocacy rep, he told me, just as I had the right to close my account with Schwab without any explanation, they had the same right. Could not argue with him.

Was that a "Schwab" customer advocacy rep or a rep from some other organization. If it was a Schwab customer advocacy rep that's almost like the Fox Guarding the Hen House. But I know what you mean. When it comes to signing up for almost any type of account, there are always lawyer words in the Terms & Conditions documents which allow the company to cancel your account, just as you can cancel on your own. It can be very frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

i am here in the US, but i log into everything on VPN (sstp usually, but also using pptp),(better is to use openVPN on a router, then there is no leakage, of the LOS IP) are you using a free VPN? i understand there are some VPNs, that are pretty sketchy, in that, you are allowed to be anonymous to the VPN, which is good for you, but are probably promotes sketchy people using it.

i just logged onto the new schwab account today, somehow doubt i will have any issue fwiw.

i wonder just how many NFTF cc's i need to have, i have the MC and visa from cap one now. but they are both from capone someone was saying they have this one, maybe it'd be wise to not have both cc's from cap one ?

http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/premium-travel/?campaignId=1729&od=bcarrival&cellNumber=24&REFERRERID=CFOPPF514517194

I will add a bit of personal experience relating to US brokerage accounts/debit cards. Using a VPN. And, logging into accounts from here in Thailand.

My TD-Ameritrade debit card incurs no foreign exchange transaction fee. Back-to-back pulls of equal amounts with Schwab card (Visa) and TD-Ameritrade card (Visa) yield the same deduction via an Aeon ATM. But, ATM charges are not reimbursed with TD-Ameritrade.

I applied for my Schwab account/card two years ago. From here. Mailed in the application. Did not do online. And, have logged in weekly from here ever since. And, do monthly pulls. No problems. since first opening the account.

And, I have logged into the TD-Ameritrade account from here for many years.

But, two years ago, I received an email that my TD-Ameritrade account was closed. Reason? I was at a hotel in Chiang Rai and used a VPN (US based server) to log into my account. My first time to log into the account using a VPN. And, their IT people flagged my account login as being through a VPN?

The opening of the account required a long phone conversation. Being asked many questions about past personal information. Information databased from many years of credit reports. A bit difficult. Remembering cars owned, addresses lived, people you have known over many years, etc. But, after the initial shock, everything went well. Answered the questions. Told them I was in Thailand. Extended vacation. Account reopened.

Further conversation with the CS folks revealed more regarding their IT security procedures. VPN are a concern to them. And, I gather that once they are suspicious of a particular VPN, then everyone that logs in through that VPN is flagged. As, in my case. I, also, learned during the conversation there had been an attempt of fraud through the VPN I was using.

A few months went by, logging in as normal. Then, I stayed in the same hotel in Chiang Rai. Logged into the TD-Ameritrade account. Next day, received another email that my account was closed. Another conversation with their CS. Seems the IT security still had record of my last login from there. How? And, flagged the account. Even though, I had not used a VPN. The account was reopened using the same procedure again. Easier, the second time. The IT people didn't want to answer any particulars about the flagging. I then pointedly asked if the problem was with my logging in from Thailand. No, that was not the problem. The VPN login was/had been the problem.

And, all that said, I have logged into the TD-Ameritrade account almost weekly ever since then. And, no problem.

Anyway, this is my experience. Obviously, I am wary about using a VPN to log into accounts.

As additional information, I recently obtained a Fidelity Brokerage account. Doing it all online from here. Their procedure to verify applicants is your answering questions gleaned from your past credit reports. And, the experience reopening my TD-Ameritrade account was quite helpful.

Cheers

Edited by chubby

you can get a service with a residential address and have the mail forwarded to thailand ?

if so, whom would you recommend?

you can get a service with a residential address and have the mail forwarded to thailand ?

There are quite a few out there aimed at expats or U.S. domestic travelers...

Some are more geared to just scanning and making available online your received mail.

Others have a stronger presence in actually physically forwarding mail to LOS or other countries.

From a banking standpoint, scanning-only isn't going to help when your bank wants to send you your new credit or debit cards,

Some of the well-known providers in this area include:

USA2Me:

http://www.usa2me.com/

Earth Class Mail

http://www.earthclassmail.com/

US Global Mail:

http://www.usglobalmail.com/default.asp

Virtual Postal Mail:

http://www.virtualpostmail.com/

And I'm sure there are others...

One additional consideration, is sometimes it's beneficial to choose a mail address location that's located in a state with no state income tax, as that will help avoid potential problems in that arena.

• Like 1

I plan to call them once again to confirm this.

Has anyone gotten around this requirement?

Any thoughts on this schwab account?

I would prefer not to do that because I was told that this account cannot have a beneficiary.

No beneficiary is a deal breaker for me.

ALL my accounts have a POD - Pay On Death person named.

I was just about to open an account with Schwab, because they will reimburse ATM fees, which is how I plan to fund my next trip to the LOS, via a Schwab account.

Just to be clear here... Schwab's domestic U.S.-based banking and brokerage accounts DO allow you to designate a Payable on Death benefciary. I know so, because I've done so for both.

I think the question is whether Schwab's international accounts will allow the same kind of POD designation. And I have no knowledge on that point.

When I opened my Schwab accounts, I did so in tandem, the Schwab One brokerage and the High Yield Checking at the same time.

When I last updated my beneficiary info for them, they sent me one document confirming the beneficiary designation with my brokerage account number and the account title saying something like "Schwab One brokerage and Schwab High Yield Checking."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

thx, tallguy, now do these all generally qualify as "residential", or anyone personally have a schwab or capone360 account linked to an address with one of these particular forwarding companies?

There are quite a few out there aimed at expats or U.S. domestic travelers...

Some are more geared to just scanning and making available online your received mail.

Others have a stronger presence in actually physically forwarding mail to LOS or other countries.

From a banking standpoint, scanning-only isn't going to help when your bank wants to send you your new credit or debit cards,

Some of the well-known providers in this area include:

USA2Me:

http://www.usa2me.com/

Earth Class Mail

http://www.earthclassmail.com/

US Global Mail:

http://www.usglobalmail.com/default.asp

Virtual Postal Mail:

http://www.virtualpostmail.com/

And I'm sure there are others...

One additional consideration, is sometimes it's beneficial to choose a mail address location that's located in a state with no state income tax, as that will help avoid potential problems in that arena.

thx, tallguy, now do these all generally qualify as "residential", or anyone personally have a schwab or capone360 account linked to an address with one of these particular forwarding companies?

I think in general, Schwab is easier to deal with, whereas Capital One overall is more problematic about using their cards abroad, given their habit of locking accounts when they see international transactions and you haven't notified them in advance of your travel plans outside the U.S.

Schwab also has a VISA debit card, which offers a better exchange rate compared to the MC offered by Cap One 360. Schwab also refunds other banks' ATM fees, whereas Cap One 360 doesn't.

But, as for the mailing services issue, I certainly can say that various folks here have both Schwab and Cap One accounts set up in that manner. If you want detailed info, probably best to request or get those kinds of personal particulars via PM.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

well i guess there is the cap one bank , and then there is the cap one MC and VISAs etc But:

yes, If anyone would like to PM me and tell me which residential service is stable and secure for Schwab, Cap One banks and cards would be nice

coffee1.gif

But, as for the mailing services issue, I certainly can say that various folks here have both Schwab and Cap One accounts set up in that manner. If you want detailed info, probably best to request or get those kinds of personal particulars via PM.