Cakes For Diabetics, Celiacs, Also Low Fat Alternatives Now In Chiang Mai.

theblether

Okay gents this next section was written by the chef, Gabriel.

The chef is not French but Argentinian, he's also a yoga teacher and a wellness coach.Since 2010 he's involved with a group of physicians specialized in diabetics, nutrition and cardiology providing information about nutrition to many people, helping them to have nutritional awareness and also having a weight control. Btw he's will to give a talk soon in Smith Residence sharing the basis for a healthy diet. About the cakes, they have low glycemic index which is actually what people with diabetic needs since high glycemic index produces a peak of sugar in the blood stream releasing a high amount of insulin and as diabetic people know, the problem is about this issue. What a lot of people don't know, even diabetic, is that wheat and white rice among other products are as harmful as sugar since they refined and they are quickly absorbed, having high glycemic index as well. On the other hand, this cakes are omega 3 enriched, and has no gluten at all, using almond flour. About the sweeteners are used Xylitol (Maltitol) and 100% palm sugar both with low glycemic index. Even more, the chocolate is home-made avoiding completely the use of sugar.

This section is written by me, theblether, just in case you wondering.

First of all he looked French to me! rolleyes.gif

Anyway Gabriel has asked me to point out that he is a qualified professional " in the culinary arts " as he put it.

He is prepared, in fact very happy to, talk to any of our members about any of the issues brought up in this topic. I don't think it's very often we get that type of offer in a field as specialized as this. He said he could have a chat with anyone informally, or if we would like to get together for a talk he would be happy to do that.

Let's not waste the man's time, is anyone interested in coming along to talk to him? or further to that, anyone interested in a few of us meeting at the Smith's cafe some evening for a talk with him?

As I said, it's not often that someone like this turns up, and to make it even better, the ladies in the cafe are very keen to learn so that a consistent product can be available to us here in CM. Over to you wai.gif

All of the chef's ideas sound legitimate according to what I have read and the expensive ingredients justify the price. We are really lucky to finally have these kind of products in Chiang Mai although they are fairly easy to find in the West.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think the sausage and eggs breakfast is a safe and quick option for most newly diagnosed diabetics, it's a stop gap measure that allows time to experiement with other perhaps safer items, that was certainly true for me at least. Now seven months on and I'm managed to find some more healthy meal options although I still revert to sausage and eggs too often I suspect. Having said that, I just got my blood tests done on Sunday and they were the best I have ever seen so I must be doing something right (even if I do eat sausage and egg McMuffins oonce a month).

Egg McMuffins the best item on offer at MacDonald s have to be OK please say so.

My measure of whether I can or cannot eat a particular dish or item is whether or not it breaks the 135/140 barrier after 90 minutes, if it does it's banned for good, thus far I can tolerate 2 x EMM about twice a month, it's one of those riskier items that I've labelled as a special treat (how bad can things possibly get).

This is probably the best way to determine if a food is OK or not.

The thing about palm sugar is that it's mostly sucrose with much smaller quantites of glucose and fructose. Sucrose is table sugar. The claim that palm sugar has a low glycemic index stems from 1 study done by the Philippine dept of agrulture or health or something. I'm too lazy to look it up. Since the study was very small (6 subjects, I think) and the Philippine govt is not one of the more honest governmets out there, I'd be dubious of this claim. I'm not saying it's untrue, but it does seem odd that something so high in sucrose and with some glucose, could have a low glycemic index.

I just did a quick bing search and pages of info on the subject of palm sugar came up......

http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=UP21DF&PC=UP21&dt=031813&q=does+palm+sugar+have+a+low+glycemic+index&src=IE-SearchBox

I clicked on this link and this is what they had to say about it........

http://www.livestrong.com/article/557464-how-does-palm-sugar-affect-blood-glucose/

I'm not sure one way, or the other, about palm sugar, but the cheesecake did not seem overly sweet and, as far as I can tell, Xylitol seems to be the real deal. I got the idea that the cook uses a combination of the two, but should have asked. For what it is worth, the Mayo clinic does not venture an opinion on whether palm sugar is low GI, but says it should be used only in moderation like any other sweetner.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure one way, or the other, about palm sugar, but the cheesecake did not seem overly sweet and, as far as I can tell, Xylitol seems to be the real deal. I got the idea that the cook uses a combination of the two, but should have asked.

I certainly don't find the cheesecake to be overly sweet and it's a good texture. Gabriel would be very happy to talk with you UG and the ladies are very pleased that you came along, and even more so that you enjoyed the cake.

The truth is that products like this are very useful for those on special diets, but that does not mean that you can eat as much as you like. It just means that they probably have lower calories, less carbohydrates and a lower GI than a similar snack in a typical bakery and are probably healthier.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

INMHO a person with diabetes may find borrowing from the Buddhist concept of not "clinging" a better way to keep the numbers down.

Not eating high carbohydrate and processed carbohydrate meals is more certain!

INMHO a person with diabetes may find borrowing from the Buddhist concept of not "clinging" a better way to keep the numbers down.

If you observe the posts in this thread you will notice a striving for now forbidden pleasures. People with diabetes have to move on, without any perceived suffering.

If you observe the posts in this thread you will notice a striving for now forbidden pleasures. People with diabetes have to move on, without any perceived suffering.

May I suggest that posters who introduce the subject of religion into a discussion by diabetics about what desserts they can eat, do exactly the same, before the lord moderator insists on it!

Edited by chiang mai

I tried the chocolate mousse cake today. That is a delicious desert whether one is on a special diet, or not. Kudos to the chef!

I found that to be the case too U.G., we had a tasting session last night and the Chocolate Mousse was well received. The cheesecake caused a bit of division, everyone thought it was an excellent texture, and quite light. While some thought it lacked a bit of zing, others, in particular the Thais, were very impressed.

I'm looking forward to see what they come up with next. licklips.gif

Whilst I haven't tried them myself yet this thread did get me thinking, I was in Rimping and was looking at their chocolate selection and ended up buying a bar of Lindt 85% cocoa. When I got home I ate two squares and I have to say the pleasure was near orgasmiic, my first taste of anything even remotely sweet in seven months, I was in heaven for s few short minutes. Anyway, I checked my glucose levels after one and two hours and I'm happy to report they were 135 and 108 respectively, give it a couple of days and I'm certain to progress to the cheesecake and the mousse..

• Like 2

IMO, the cheesecake tastes like a diet desert. It tastes good, but (naturally) not like a full calorie desert. For someone on a low carb/GI diet it is quite useful, but someone who is not concerned about calories would probably prefer the cheesecake at Butter is Better/Bake and Bite/Love at First Bite/Angel's Secrets. The chef did say that he is still experimenting with the recipe, but IMO it tastes pretty good already consider the health benefits.

IMO, the chocolate mouse cake is as good as any of those places, but is low carb/GI. I can't imagine that the calorie count is that small as it just tastes too good, but good low carb desserts are what a lot of people are looking for and they are very difficult to find locally.

• Like 1

I have been doing some research on palm sugar and the low GI is indeed controversial. It contains a fiber called Inulin, which may slow glucose absorption and could explain why coconut sugar is supposed to have a lower glycemic index than regular table sugar. However, Xylitol does seem like more of sure thing.