PM Yingluck says losing 37 year Don Mueang constituency 'not a big loss'

webfact

PM says losing 37 year Don Mueang constituency 'not a big loss'
By Digital Media

13714482134066.jpg

BANGKOK, June 17 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said today that several factors led to the ruling Pheu Thai party’s defeat in yesterday’s by-election in Don Mueang constituency.

She said party candidate Yuranant Pamornmontri had only 18 days to campaign and Pheu Thai’s pre-election activities were not coherent.

Don Mueang has been a ruling party stronghold for the last 37 years and the loss to Democrat candidate Tankhun Chitt-isara was, to many political observers including the opposition party, a major government loss.

The prime minister, however, said she would not describe it as a major defeat, saying a by-election and a general election are different.

Voters concentrate on a party’s policy in a general election while a by-election involves public works for residents in the constituency, she said.

Newly-elected MP Tankhun and a number of Democrat MPs and party members today led a caravan around the Don Mueang constituency to express their appreciation to the local residents for their support to the party.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said the party’s historic victory in Don Mueang was an indirect signal to the government to improve its performance, especially regarding the public’s economic situation, the government’s ‘lavish spending’ and ongoing internal conflicts.

Mr Tankhun said he will closely coordinate with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in working on anti-flood measures for those living in Don Mueang. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-17

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should Yingluck worry? She is only the PM in name only. She has no responsibility to the gov't as her brother is in the real hot seat. Pheu Thai is rapidly dissolving.

I can only assume that Thaksin told her to play this down. Actually, I'm convinced that he probably tells her what to wear and eat, as well.

I can believe that Yingluck is likely too dense to understand that it's probably very significant, by-election or not, but Thaksin must realize that when you dominate a constituency for 37 years and then lose it, a message is clearly being sent. Perhaps the populist actions (rice scam, automobile tax credits, etc,) hasn't benefited people in that riding very much, and they're starting to see just how harmful these programs will be to Thailand in the long run.

Once again, the stuff that Thai politicians say amazes me. They're <deleted>' shameless!!!

Edited by Wavefloater
  • Like 1

Hahahaha that's face saving if I ever saw one! You're fooling no one, dearie.

In fact there's a good possibility her words will be seen by the locals as 'we (PT) don't really care all that much about Don Muang'.

• Like 2

And just a few hours ago her minder said she would not be making any statements about the result.

Perhaps someone quickly pointed out to her, and her minder, that 'no statement' was not appropriate, not on, was arrogant, insincere, and lacking in values, whatever the result / reasons are.

I'm amazed to hear Pheu Thai party list MP #1 complain about the party's incoherent pre-election activities. Doesn't she know as simple member she's not supposed to critisize the party? Even the 'only 18 days to campaign' is an implicit snub as surely the party needed time to select the right MP for DM to elect.

BTW it's interesting to notice that the election of a constituency MP differs whether it's in a general election or a by-election. The view on this probably also depends on who wins. Public works are not part of an election by-the-way, but our PM probably meant that the voters voted for a candidate who thought and cared for the voters. Must be a slip of the tongue, this insult to the voters.

• Like 2

Hahahaha that's face saving if I ever saw one! You're fooling no one, dearie.

In fact there's a good possibility her words will be seen by the locals as 'we (PT) don't really care all that much about Don Muang'.

Oh, but we do care. We even gave them some froggies to play with in the water rolleyes.gif

I think the only thing her statement has done is to end the 37 year old constituency voting practices forever. I know after that statement I would never vote for her party again.

Edited by swifty5x5

I can only assume that Thaksin told her to play this down. Actually, I'm convinced that he probably tells her what to wear and eat, as well.

I can believe that Yingluck is likely too dense to understand that it's probably very significant, by-election or not, but Thaksin must realize that when you dominate a constituency for 37 years and then lose it, a message is clearly being sent. Perhaps the populist actions (rice scam, automobile tax credits, etc,) hasn't benefited people in that riding very much, and they're starting to see just how harmful these programs will be to Thailand in the long run.

Once again, the stuff that Thai politicians say amazes me. They're <deleted>' shameless!!!

The more I see and hear from her the more convinced I am that she's not even capable of being a puppet

• Like 2

I think the only thing her statement has done is to end the 37 year old constituency voting practices forever. I know after that statement I would never vote for her party again.

Yes, the results is not significant because DonMuang is insignificant. She really needs to put a sock in it...

Exactly, what a great PR statement. No great loss indeed.