Blatantly ripped off 1000 baht

invogue

The norm for tipping is really hard to grasp for us that does not come from a tipping culture,

when do you tip and when dont you ?

I have been scold by thais for stupidity when i tip and scold for being cheap when i dont,

it is a catch 22 that i dont grasp.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Business owners in a market situation?

Pretty universal agreement there even among Americans that that would be ridiculous.

Leaving your change for poverty-stricken almost-beggarly little children as the OP apparently did?

That's not tipping. . .

But what differs between buying food at the market from buying a beer somewhere ?

they are both based on market economy, i.e supply and demand,

i think both are worth 50 baht but if charged 60 i'll go to a more competitive merchant.

I have given up on cracking the tip code

Edited by poanoi

You aren't required to tip anywhere in Thailand, apart from automatic service charges added at fancy places.

Your beer question is simple - if there is wait staff bringing you drinks to a table where you sit and drink the beer, that is where you may tip a little or a lot or nothing up to you.

Buying beers and paying before you go off and drink them off the premises, not only no tip required but you'd be cuckoo if you did.

Did you really not know that?

Edited by boosta

An unfortunate transaction to say the least. But for those reading this topic who are new etc...there are some valuable tips posted here when buying in markets.

Never use 1,000 baht notes unless absolutely necessary. I also hold onto my note (if paying with 1,000 baht) until I see them produce change. Even if they have to "go" behind the counter to get it, they can get it first and then I will hand over the big bill. Even though the vendor never replies in English I have yet to meet a market seller who did not understand some basic words.

Also a reminder to those living here or planning to travel here, learn some basic Thai words. Also if this is a recent event, go back to the stall or store and tell the lady she was being disrespectful and you would like your money returned. Ask some Thai people you may know or who may be willing to assist. if for nothing else you want to let the store owner you know she cheated you.

• Like 1

I made a drunken mistake my first trip to Thailand, gave a 500 baht tip meaning to give 50. After the receiver did a victory dance, there was no turning back. It happens. You just move on. It's a crappy feeling but who hasn't been scammed sometimes in life for much more than 1000 baht?

I gave a 50 Satong tip, my first trip. The taxi driver was trying to refuse but realising a good service i insisted.

Walking with head held high i collected my luggage and continued on my way.

Yes i was a plank :(

Never been ripped off though, i always say in Thai it's 1000 baht so other stall holders might hear and less likely to try it on. There are good people in Thailand Its a shame the odd one spoils it for the rest.

You aren't required to tip anywhere in Thailand, apart from automatic service charges added at fancy places.

Your beer question is simple - if there is wait staff bringing you drinks to a table where you sit and drink the beer, that is where you may tip a little or a lot or nothing up to you.

Buying beers and paying before you go off and drink them off the premises, not only no tip required but you'd be cuckoo if you did.

Did you really not know that?

At the market she is making the effort to put that food in a plastic bag, or on a plate,

at the beer counter she is making the effort of taking that lock off and place at my chair,

i consider the two efforts roughly equal, perhaps a tad more effort by the food vendor as she

also has to wrap a rubber band around the plastic bag.

ed: I would presume both efforts are accounted for when calculating asking price

Edited by poanoi

Stop giving free money away (100 when price 80), they don't think you are nice and generous, they think you are an idiot.

when i buy my weekly 7 bottles of yakult i pay 50 and don't care about the 1 bath change. the lady seller doesn't think i'm an idiot. she thinks i'm nice, laid-back, not geenioaw. in other words: she considers me an atypical farang who understands the concept of 'mai bpen rai'.

Used to be common for bar staff to try and short change you in British pubs - especially later on, or if you were in a large group. Amazing how many people just put change in their pocket without counting it or are too timid or embarrased to challenge.

I used to memorize the serial numbers of large bank notes and on several occasions asked landlords to cash up the till and I would provide the bank note number. Always got my change. That was the UK for you.

Never been shortchanged here - usual taxi drivers not wanting to use meter discussions, or being quoted a ridiculous price for something. Always make sure you know the prices upfront here, and if using THB 1k note to pay for low value items ask if they have change first. Shows you know its Ik and expect the change.

Sadly, dishonest types always try to steal from tourists and foreigners but I've met more dishonest traders in Southern Europe than Thailand.

Stop giving free money away (100 when price 80), they don't think you are nice and generous, they think you are an idiot.

when i buy my weekly 7 bottles of yakult i pay 50 and don't care about the 1 bath change. the lady seller doesn't think i'm an idiot. she thinks i'm nice, laid-back, not geenioaw. in other words: she considers me an atypical farang who understands the concept of 'mai bpen rai'.

She probably sees what a generous chilled out hansum man you are. thumbsup.gif Don't overdue the Yakult now.

• Like 2

At the market she is making the effort to put that food in a plastic bag, or on a plate,

at the beer counter she is making the effort of taking that lock off and place at my chair,

i consider the two efforts roughly equal, perhaps a tad more effort by the food vendor as she

also has to wrap a rubber band around the plastic bag.

ed: I would presume both efforts are accounted for when calculating asking price

-

What has effort got to do with it? It's the context that's important, and in any case here in Thailand - UP TO YOU either way.

Maybe we should have long extended discussion on our various national tipping philosophies, I'm sure it's been at least 48 hours since that, only a little longer since the last farang vs falang debacle.

Not that it's your fault or anything, but I think you should change your ATM habits. What I do is is always 3,900, 5,900, 9,900, whatever. In that way you've always got small bills.

That's the most useful piece of advice I've had since being here, and one that I shall now follow. Thanks!

Stand your ground next time.

Easy to say but the vendor was a thief and the buyer could not prove anything and speaks no Thai. I think it was a no win. Sad.

I've lived here 4 years and though I've had unpleasant things happen to me in this country I've never been scammed like that at a market. I agree with Jingthing 100%, though I seriously doubt speaking Thai would have helped. Once this vendor decided to steal it was all over. And once she absconded with the money there was no proof what he paid so it becomes a "he said she said" situation and I doubt even the tourist police are going to do any good in a situation like this short video proof.

Edited by oneday

Stand your ground next time.

Easy to say but the vendor was a thief and the buyer could not prove anything and speaks no Thai. I think it was a no win. Sad.

I've lived here 4 years and though I've had unpleasant things happen to me in this country I've never been scammed like that at a market. I agree with Jingthing 100%. I seriously doubt speaking Thai would have helped. Once this vendor decided to steal it was all over. And once she absconded with the money there was no proof what he paid so it becomes a "he said she said" situation and I doubt even the tourist police are going to do any good in a situation like this short video proof.

You best advice (as given above) is to always have enough change in your wallet in a market. However, I think it's very rare for this to happen. This vendor was just a rotten apple. Another thought is to not hand the money over until they have the change in their hand then make an simultaneous swap.

really?I would have taken merchandise up to the 1000 baht ,make a scene, some of these Thais need to know its not always gonna be accepting it and "mai pen rai"

If you were 100% sure that you gave 1.000 bth and you have persisted on a calmly manner to get the proper change back. With or without help from others (police ?)Nothing else. Leaving gives that person a motivation to bullshit somebody else next time.

I agree, plus it helps to engage other Thais around you asking if they can help. Remaining calm is the biggest thing. If you start yelling no one will help, but if you did indeed give a 1000 then keep persisting.

The last thing a Thai working at a market wants is to lose face in front of people she works with everyday. Getting others involved would surely do just that. If you keep at it she would eventually relent if nothing else then to get you away from her.

You obviously don't understand that her making an effort to get it and give it to you would be a cultural insult.

What's 'geenioaw' anyway, sounds painful. :rolleyes:

"Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else and can anyone tell me how I could have handled this situation better?"

Never try to buy anything from a market stall without something resembling the correct change,go to 7/11 and buy a can of Coke or bottle of water or something if you don't have it.Although Thais are generally reasonably honest about this,I'm sorry but you must look like an easy target!

Same with taxis as I had it the other day,my Aussie mate tried to pay a 200 baht fare with 500 baht and the scumbag taxi driver claimed he had no change!Luckily I had some so I scrunched it up and threw it at him,he went off cursing but who cares,dickheads like that make it worse for everyone and give all Thais a bad name!

"Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else and can anyone tell me how I could have handled this situation better?"

Never try to buy anything from a market stall without something resembling the correct change,go to 7/11 and buy a can of Coke or bottle of water or something if you don't have it.Although Thais are generally reasonably honest about this,I'm sorry but you must look like an easy target!

Same with taxis as I had it the other day,my Aussie mate tried to pay a 200 baht fare with 500 baht and the scumbag taxi driver claimed he had no change!Luckily I had some so I scrunched it up and threw it at him,he went off cursing but who cares,dickheads like that make it worse for everyone and give all Thais a bad name!

Scrunching up a note that has the portrait of the King on it could have landed you in prison, just the same as if you dropped a 500 baht note on the pavement and stood on it to prevent it blowing away. Taxi drivers almost never have change. You are expected to have the right change.

Easy way to get around these things. Before paying, ask 'do you have change for 1000 baht?' Hold it up for all to see. For many small store owners, this is a courtesy. For the small proportion of scammers, it stops them from doing the 'you only gave me 100 trick'.

Very few mistakes are made after that.

Take it as a cheap lesson learned... ONCE

Samran gave the best reply. Make sure the person taking your money understands you both know how much you are giving them.

I was ripped off by 100 baht when I gave a gas station attendant a 1000 baht note. Apparently that is very common at gas stations. I've never had a problem at 7-11 or Tesco. I can easily add up large sums in my head. I've had fruit market vendors try to over charge me, but I just say no thanks and go elsewhere. I know ahead of time about how much I should pay.

Sometimes it is just simply down to very poor maths.

Interesting as I do not think you where conned or robbed. Most likely a misunderstanding. If you live in Thailand you really need to learn enough Thai for basic stuff like shopping and giving directions.. I also suggest like others in having small bills when shopping street stalls. I know this may not be always possible so when all I have is a 1000 baht note I always make it a point to ask if they can make change. You can do this by holding out the note so it is very clear to see that it is a 1000 baht not and simple say dai mai? Which means can you... By doing this you establish to the merchant and yourself that this is indeed a 1000 baht note whether you get the Thai correct or not. Often times foreigners will mistake one note for another. i do this everywhere except at places where i am paying the cashier directly like at a 7/11. This is especially important at bar beers or anytime the server or person is going to take the money someplace and return with your change...

On the other hand Thailand is better than the UK where the public are worse than the traders. I used to run some shops in the UK and we were always getting people coming in and buying goods for £1 with a £10 note insisting they gave us a £50 note and demanding £49 change! We used to place the £10 note on the till instead of in the drawer so they could not get away with it.

In Thailand, if I am handing over a B1,000 note I always say "Pahn Neung" so that if the stall holder is half asleep or a indeed a scam artist they think twice about trying it on.