Blatantly ripped off 1000 baht

invogue

In fifteen years of shopping at these sorts of places many times per week I've never never had anything like this happen to me.

So rare, I'm really questioning did this even happen. . .

I hope you don't wait for someone to attack you (or worse) before you accept or believe that it can happen....

This lady was ripped off, why even doubt her story?

BOOSTA, doubts her story because he is a thai apologist. The usual "IT NEVER HAPPENED TO ME". Why do you defend "boosta" ?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really mean the OP is lying, just that it really is so so rare, taking any preventative measures other than the common-sense ones I've since realized I do automatically (as posted earlier) isn't worth doing, like people that analyze the statistics about airline safety to choose their carrier, as opposed to just avoiding the famously bad ones.

I'm very certain this type of thing happens in Thai fresh markets, other normal places not tourist-oriented, a lot less than across the board back home.

I used to work with a bartender in farangland who was an amateur magician, used to almost double his pay by sleight of hand on busy nights.

Sorry that I didn't explain adequately about my tipping at the markets.This isn't one of the regular markets that you see around with 'middle class' Thai people.The market stores double as a lot of the peoples homes. Not all of them but evidently some people live in their shops and are clearly poverty stricken.I bought some pants from one 'shop' where a boy and his mother were sleeping on a bed. The mother appeared sick and the sweet, well mannered 6 year old boy came to serve me. The pants were 180 baht and I gave the boy 200 baht and there was no way I was going to ask for 20 baht change off a 6 year boy or his ill mother.A very similar thing happened at another shop where there were 2 young children watching a small TV on a dirty mattress in back area of the 'shop'. They were selling papayas for 10 baht each. The kids were under 5 and no adults in sight. I took 3 papayas and gave the kids 50 baht. Again, can you imagine asking impoverished children for change?I bought a some beans from a really frail old man. He didn't speak English and I don't speak Thai but he spent 5 minutes trying to teach me Thai by pointing to things and saying their name in Thai and making me repeat it. I left a 10 baht coin on his table for his kindness. I did not get ripped off 1000 baht because everyone in the market viewed me as a sucker, I got ripped off because the lady was an opportunistic theif.

Well said. Do not listen too much to the people who slag you off for being ignorant etc...

Btw, with you giving tips for nothing and being generous they probably took you for a fool. Which by local standards you were. Giving money for nothing? This blokes an idiot, i'm going to take advantage of him.

Welcome to Thainess.

Btw, with you giving tips for nothing and being generous they probably took you for a fool. Which by local standards you were. Giving money for nothing? This blokes an idiot, i'm going to take advantage of him.Welcome to Thainess.

She is not an idiot, it is a she and not a he, but, in this case, the thai is an idiot.

Welcome to thainess !

The negative part at least.

Sorry that I didn't explain adequately about my tipping at the markets.

This isn't one of the regular markets that you see around with 'middle class' Thai people.

The market stores double as a lot of the peoples homes. Not all of them but evidently some people live in their shops and are clearly poverty stricken.

I bought some pants from one 'shop' where a boy and his mother were sleeping on a bed. The mother appeared sick and the sweet, well mannered 6 year old boy came to serve me. The pants were 180 baht and I gave the boy 200 baht and there was no way I was going to ask for 20 baht change off a 6 year boy or his ill mother.

A very similar thing happened at another shop where there were 2 young children watching a small TV on a dirty mattress in back area of the 'shop'. They were selling papayas for 10 baht each. The kids were under 5 and no adults in sight. I took 3 papayas and gave the kids 50 baht. Again, can you imagine asking impoverished children for change?

I bought a some beans from a really frail old man. He didn't speak English and I don't speak Thai but he spent 5 minutes trying to teach me Thai by pointing to things and saying their name in Thai and making me repeat it. I left a 10 baht coin on his table for his kindness.

I did not get ripped off 1000 baht because everyone in the market viewed me as a sucker, I got ripped off because the lady was an opportunistic theif.

Go back at night and see if these people are sleeping there. That is the stall owner.

If you go during the day you're probably more likely to see them sleeping there.

I made a drunken mistake my first trip to Thailand, gave a 500 baht tip meaning to give 50. After the receiver did a victory dance, there was no turning back. It happens. You just move on. It's a crappy feeling but who hasn't been scammed sometimes in life for much more than 1000 baht?

Same here, first week in LOS i was in a taxi and the meter was about 80, i pulled what i thought was a 100 out of my wallet and handed it to the driver. he threw his hands up and started saying"no have change" but i saw a 20 note in his hand. i grabbed it and left the taxi. an hour later i realized my 1000 note was no longer there but my 100 note still was :-(

Sucks but it was a 900 baht lesson to be more careful!

• Like 2

Cultural lesson 101.

We generally respect kind people. Most locals here consider them as fools and treat them there as.

But hey their smiling and waiing you so they dont think like that at all lol.

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 2

Not that it's your fault or anything, but I think you should change your ATM habits. What I do is is always 3,900, 5,900, 9,900, whatever. In that way you've always got small bills.

Exactly what I do. But most people don't realise you can enter the precise amount if you first hit the "English" button.

I just wish you could enter, for example, 1,980 baht so you can get some 20's.

I know...i lend out 5000 to a police when i first came here,

i then had to hire a lawyer to get it back, while the lawyer also needed a 30.000 baht loan.

I havn't seen either since, so u see, you aren't the only one with tuff luck.

And do yourself a favor and split those 1000 notes whenever you go to BigC,

go and buy a lighter at 7/11 if need be

• Like 1

I'd have to agree. I don't use 1000 baht notes at such markets. I can imagine a scam happening but find it harder to imagine it happening in markets where the vendors recognize a regular buyer.

This is a regular buyer who pays 100 baht when it is 80 baht!

Don't you think these people have some pride?

They already think you are a nut and sorry but if you act like a nut, you'll be cracked occasionally.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

I made a drunken mistake my first trip to Thailand, gave a 500 baht tip meaning to give 50. After the receiver did a victory dance, there was no turning back. It happens. You just move on. It's a crappy feeling but who hasn't been scammed sometimes in life for much more than 1000 baht?

Same here, first week in LOS i was in a taxi and the meter was about 80, i pulled what i thought was a 100 out of my wallet and handed it to the driver. he threw his hands up and started saying"no have change" but i saw a 20 note in his hand. i grabbed it and left the taxi. an hour later i realized my 1000 note was no longer there but my 100 note still was :-(

Sucks but it was a 900 baht lesson to be more careful!

Good one. I am embarrassed to say that years ago several times I got all pissed off at several taxi drivers who I accused of driving me around in circles...only to figure out after living here for a while that they were taking me the most direct route because of one ways etc...they were right, I was a jerk.....since then I have learned to keep my mouth shut as things maybe are not always quite what they seem and often what we take as a rip off or insult is really a misunderstanding.

• Like 1

Yes in general you should never consider tipping market vendors.

The OP's explanation seems to be an exceptional situation.

But even if you're "acting like a mark", it's never appropriate to blame the victim.

Our daughters like to go out dressed like sluts these days, does that put the blame on them if a schoolmate boyfriend rapes them?