I've had a burglar ... or only a trespasser?

amykat

Iron bars on the windows and doors. They understand that message. I was thinking that a problem with cctv has to do with perception that once you have footage, something will be done about it. This is not home country, this is Thailand. Footage is only useful after the fact of being robbed, and who knows? they might steal the cameras as well. I always say "never buy a hot security device". Haha..

This is one good reason to have a maid and her gardener/driver husband living on your property. That way there's almost always someone around at all times.

Yeah, right... cheesy.gif

Most of the time the hired help gets a cut!

In my case, when my house got burglarized two weeks after moving in, it was the onsite security guy that did it. He had been working in the mooban for 10 years.. When the BIB wanted to talk to him, and get his fingerprints, (I'm lucky enough to be connected enough to actually get them to do a decent job with the investigation), the gaurd bolted... Never to be seen in these parts again.

I feel safer without him!

But, as others have said, the OP would be well advised to not take this lightly and to take action. I got a monitored security system installed covering all the entrances of the house and motion detectors inside. It cost me about 40k baht, plus monitoring fees... Remember, it's not about your stuff, it's about your safety... they only stole about 3k USD in cash and prizes when they broke in... but it was the fact that most of what they stole was in my bedroom where I was sleeping with my wife at the time that concerned me. What if one of us had woken up while they were there?

Most thieves, everywhere, are opportunistic... Could they smash through my front door in a drug induced psychotic episode with a gun and overpower me in spite of my alarm? Of course... But more likely, they are going to see that I have the system and go steal from somebody else, or run away immediately when the system makes noise.

The peace of mind we get from having this system makes it worth every penny.

• Like 1

i wonder why wired alarms are so expensive in thailand!? In the states many places do free installation if you sign a contract! 40k for an alarm is pretty steep...glad I got the wireless security system for alot less....works great too!

either way, living here in LOS you will definitely need some type of protection, whether its an alarm, cameras, both!

I only wish i was smart enough to get the alarm before I got robbed!

Edited by mdotinc

Thanks for everyone's ideas! I have been working on improving things, locking up all the windows, the gate, working on lights, and various other things.

I do have an update which might explain what happened!

Apparently, there was a police raid on the constuction worker camp, the day before I found the chairs. I was told that dozens of workers (up to 100?) started running in all directions, attempting to get away/hide. So I have the idea now, that a few people did hop over my fence, and then needed the chairs to get out ...in order to hide here.

That makes me feel better. At least it is some explanation that could make sense.

Work in eccentric circles from your main living area outwards.

Alarm switch next to bed that lets all hell loose, sirens, lights, dispatch calls...

Dogs at your feet.

Tightly closed doors in the bedroom (its a good idea to have some food and water here too, paranoid...yes).

Weapons? Up to you.

Dogs outside the room.

Tightly closed outside doors.

Dogs outside.

Automatic lights.

Fake cameras.

Trip wires, traps... the imagination runs wild here.

Walled, gated, thorned, barbed wire, broken glass...

Threatening signs.

Neighborhood watch.

A talk with locals.

Drones.

• Like 1

Iron bars on the windows and doors. They understand that message. I was thinking that a problem with cctv has to do with perception that once you have footage, something will be done about it. This is not home country, this is Thailand. Footage is only useful after the fact of being robbed, and who knows? they might steal the cameras as well. I always say "never buy a hot security device". Haha..

I would never recommend bars on windows and doors, if the thief wants to get in he will just come through the roof,

BUT it also means you cannot easily get out if you have a fire,running about panicking, wheres the key for the lock.!!

would rather they took something,than me and my family end up as crisps,no bars on my doors and windows for sure.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Work in eccentric circles from your main living area outwards.

Alarm switch next to bed that lets all hell loose, sirens, lights, dispatch calls...

Dogs at your feet.

Tightly closed doors in the bedroom (its a good idea to have some food and water here too, paranoid...yes).

Weapons? Up to you.

Dogs outside the room.

Tightly closed outside doors.

Dogs outside.

Automatic lights.

Fake cameras.

Trip wires, traps... the imagination runs wild here.

Walled, gated, thorned, barbed wire, broken glass...

Threatening signs.

Neighborhood watch.

A talk with locals.

Drones.

Can't get more eccentric circles than TV members!

• Like 1

Two dogs, one inside, one outside. Do some basic training with the dogs rewarding them for barking or alerting you to strangers coming close to your property. If you train them properly and have the right dog, they will keep all intruders away and are the best defense against thieves.

I have 4 dogs on a fenced piece of land and my wife would never let them enter the house. I let them have a way to get outside the fence since I live in a small rice-farmer village and it is normal here to let the dogs wander around the village freely.

The advantages are that kids will not pester my dogs through the fence and a potential burglar will realize that he won`t be able to jump the fence to get away from the dogs. But I guess he would be home free as soon as he is inside the house....hehe.

The other day a neighbour was calling my wife from outside the unlocked gate. She was scared to enter because of the dogs, not realizing that they were sitting right behind her, watching her the whole time. lol.

Anyway, I used to sell security equipment to private home owners in my -previous- life. And installing equipment like alarms, steel bars, security locks on doors and windows, cameras, eaven geese, snakes or a moat with crocodiles will probably make you feel safer and deter a burglar enough to go to the next house. It is only a matter of how much you are willing to spend knowing that if someone really wants to get in, they will.

Myself, I only have 4 dogs and a fence with a hole in it. But I make sure that nobody who visits ever sees cash or gold laying around the house that could be a temptation. That is what most burglars are looking for.

I tell my wife that if we ever get burglarized, give them what they want. But keep a big knife by your bed in case they want something you don`t want to give.

Hopefully your situation was something innocent and had nothing to do with criminal intent. I wish you the best of luck.

I kind of envy you being able to have your dog sleeping in your room though. ;)

• Like 1

Install a few security cameras with a good recorder. It's all worth it.

Just out of curiosity - any idea how much these cost to buy + install ?

I got it done. Two cameras minimum. Recorder with good playback. Wired installation.

16,000 bahts installed.

Edited by Andre0720

Get a strong & heavy safe for your valuables and keep this safe safe in an out of the way place in your home. Cover it with something common so that nobody would think that anything of importance is there.

I can't think of anything else which hasn't already been mentioned.

Hi Microwave,

Yes, I have already done this since my first day in Thailand! I am big believer in safes, and have always had a good one, all of my adult life, and so far, no problems there. I know some people just steal the whole safe, so I always buy super-huge ones, that will need several guys to move them.

Also, they are good for just locking up everyday, but expensive things, like cameras, jewelry obviously, important paperwork, keeping some cash at home, passports, etc. It helps to keep things that maybe a worker in your home might be tempted to steal. I also keep many things in bank safe deposit boxes, the best things!

Anyway, I guess I have levels, not important jewerlry, at home in safe, really good things, in the bank, in the US, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks again for everyone's posts. I ran out of "LIKES" tonight so cannot give them out, but I would like to!!

How and to what lengths you secure your home depends on your location and how your home is used.

Cameras are all well and good but most people that install them have very very limited mental abilities and put them up to capture the expected path a burglar might take in/out of the property, great you will get some footage of a shielded face coming or going.

IME it is better the have a few dummy cameras, with flashing LED if you can be disciplined to replace the flat batteries periodically, even better if they are installed at such a height that a "clever" would-be burglar can reach and cut the tempting cable going to the fake unit - just run that cable back to a simple bell/siren and you have an alarm that responds to an attempted burglary for a damn sight less that 15,000 Baht.

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not at all suggesting not spending the money on a good recorded CCTV system but I'm saying that to prevent burglary you need to have multiple layers of protection and deterrent, the objective after all is to encourage the would-be burglar that it is not worth the effort to rob this particular farang's house and go elsewhere. Having an alarm that goes off after the burglar is inside is a bit late. Although putting one of the CCTV camera;s inside the house pointing out from the back of a cupboard that holds interesting looking collectables is the best way to get a full face image recorded. If they are inside it's more likely that they will not be shielding their face with a hoodie etc and have let their guard drop while they browser your belongings.

Safes are great, but notice I use the plural, you can have a proper safe that (if possible is built in & hidden - done yourself) you use and then a smaller sacrificial safe, load it with a few short lengths of light steel chain and some large washers and cut down newspaper, that sounds just right when shaken. About the size of an average PC made from mild steel. They find that and they are gone thumbsup.gif

Your wife's jewellery, again if she can be trained to keep her mouth shut about your clever anti-burglar schemes create either a fake jewellery box (easy to fill with shiny looking junk from the weekly market place) on show or put the fake stuff in a wardrobe draw - everyone always puts their valuables in the same place.

We have has two significance robberies with the village in the past 5 years: 200,000 Baht Sin-Sod cash taken from a Thai household by a relative the day before the wedding, they think they know how but nothing ever proven. And a farang house * raided probably by a relation or friend of the household's teenage son that took ~30,000 Baht cash and other monies hidden in a drawer within a bedroom along with other pocket-sized goodies, in this case the household has many dogs (not very scary) but they were locked on and the house was secured but empty for about 20 minutes on the day in question. This is a remote village so it was either itinerant opportunistic salespeople/theft or they knew the household and were waiting for the moment to act.....

So when placing CCTV consider that places beyond the house are worth watching too, consider where a burglar might need to park their car/bike and watch those places too. Any smart burglar will do a reconnaissance first, so if you have an attempted break in wind back the CCTV to the previous days recorded footage to get faces and number plates.

If the police do nothing, even after an encouragement fee? Consider producing your own wanted posters with faces etc. At risk of slander laws however the message is that you are equipped and able to identity people - makes them stay away.

As for dogs, they are great. But not very useful inside. The normal procedure for a planned burglary is the dog is poisoned the day/afternoon before the attack, a guard dog does NOT have to be a big brute with fangs, a small yappy dog that responds to the noise of someone moving at night, it wakes you and the other dogs up and is easily replaced - sorry to sound harsh but it is realistic in some situations.

Being a farang target in a village is mitigated if you make the effort to integrate and be part of the village rather than just an isolated and uninvolved resident, which is I believe a factor in the theft mentioned above.*

As for the bars on windows, few seek to spend their time in a building that feels like a prison but it is a good shorthand deterrent from the outside, there are designs for hinged bars that fold down when unlocked from the inside but I have not seen them in Thailand, I suggest that you would need to import the design idea from the US.

Guns. Having police in the family that may be on site with their firearms might offer some deterrent, the only recent and local incident I know of some miles South of our place is where an English guy who was separated from his Thai wife in a bitter and messy divorce attempted late one night to visit her house after drinking heavily to "discuss" money with her, he was shot by his former brother in law with a revolver when mistaken (?) for a burglar climbing over the garden wall. As far as I know there was no comeback of follow-up on the guy with the gun at all. Steve's death is written up in the Issan forum a year or two ago, I had met him a few times long ago.

In summary look at the problem with burglar's eyes from how they might tackle your house and it's security. Have multiple layers that each offer something to the whole and don't depend on one technique.

• Like 2

And, unless you have a deadly weapon, illegal for farangs to own, what are you going to do if you encounter a burglar with a gun ? Or, someone who is on yaa baa, and has "nothing left to lose." So, imagine you had a gun, and you shoot a burglar; guess who's going to be ruined, arrested, extorted from, killed in revenge, etc. ?

Sorry, I would rather have to discard a body or even deal with the legal ramifications (payoff to family) than run the risk of being attacked or murdered in my home.

Everyone living in a house, especially if it's out a ways, should have a firearm and know how to use it. Practice at the local shooting range. Because there is a good chance the guy breaking into your house while you sleep will have one, or at least a knife.

When in Rome....

Also... these guys are coming in for quick and small items usually. Leave some obvious bait for them, like a fake jewlery box with some cheap (but real looking) jewelry in it along with 2000b and an old 2nd hand phone. They will more than likely hit the road once they get that. Then have well hidden safe elsewhere for your real items.

Most of them just want stuff to sell, quick cash, or something to fund their next fix if they are yaabaa addicts.

Of course, this is for if they get in your house in the first place, and hopefully if they do, you're not home.

In addition to outside motion sensors, you can also get small ones inside as well, and put one or two in your attic space for when they come through the roof. If they come in at night, the lights coming on may scare them off. It's the day time guys who come in that are the ones to worry about, the ones who don't care if you're home or not. They are the ones who will gut you, so you also need to be prepared for them the best you can. As other posters already wrote, wireless alarms can help as well, at least to give you a heads up and maybe enough time to barricade yourself in a room.

Horrible way to live, but this is something we all have to deal with.

And, unless you have a deadly weapon, illegal for farangs to own, what are you going to do if you encounter a burglar with a gun ? Or, someone who is on yaa baa, and has "nothing left to lose." So, imagine you had a gun, and you shoot a burglar; guess who's going to be ruined, arrested, extorted from, killed in revenge, etc. ?

Sorry, I would rather have to discard a body or even deal with the legal ramifications (payoff to family) than run the risk of being attacked or murdered in my home.

Everyone living in a house, especially if it's out a ways, should have a firearm and know how to use it. Practice at the local shooting range. Because there is a good chance the guy breaking into your house while you sleep will have one, or at least a knife.

When in Rome....

I've thought about this issue too. I have been a gun owner in the past, just for personal protection, but it was 100% legal, and I did learn to shoot, took a univeristy marksmanship class, and had a retired law officer give me private lessons, and as well, understood my own county's law, about when it is okay, and NOT okay, to shoot someone.

My thoughts about a gun in Thailand, are that I would also like to be alive and deal with the legal problems later. I think I could afford to buy my way out, if that is possible. But what I worry about is that I would get in trouble, before I kill someone, i.e. that somehow, somebody could extort me, turn me in to the police, because they know I own a gun. I can't get one here, without some Thai person's help. And even if they are reliable, (never something I would assume, but however ...) I am pretty sure, they would blab it around, and you never know what could come of that. And really, I am not sure that I consider anyone "reliable" here, they might be now, but next year when they have financial problems, that could change.

I had an example of this just the other day, when a Thai person, who I trust to some resonable extent, for here ...and we were discussing this recent issue of who/what/why came into my yard, said to me "well everyone KNOWS you do XYZ". Something that NOBODY knows, except this person, because they used to house sit for me when I travelled. Of course there was a lot of stammering, and BS, when I said, "well NOBODY but YOU would know this, and if EVERYONE knows, it has to be because you have told them!"

If I could somehow, sneak a gun into Thailand, and nobody but me would know, then I would feel a lot better about it ...but I know this isn't possible.

This is really one weird discrimination against foreigners here! I can understand on some level, but really, if you are a legal resident, and probably could not be one on a tourist visa, but otherwise, what would be the problem? I can't protect myself against being murdered because I am a foreigner?? I mean, of course, this being a country that believes in gun ownership ...I wouldn't care if I was in the UK or some like-minded place. As a female, with only a young daughter, how should I protect myself, if it comes down to it? From what I have read, a knife (or a bat, or these kind of things) is little protection if you are not physically, pretty damn strong, and probably stronger than the intruder, which I can guarantee, unless the intruder is in a wheelchair, I am not stronger.

Anyone, have any ideas about this, maybe some of you retired policemen? Maybe I should start another thread to get attention to this question?

Thanks again to the posters here! Lots of good ideas.

GET GEESE

Nothing will get past them

No kidding. Those things are extremely territorial, very aggressive and make a tremendous racket.

By the way, I looked into this over the internet. Seems good for some types of situations, but I read you need to 1) basically, keep a "flock" if that is the correct word, at least one male with several females. 2) They are quite messy, and having had only one duck, one time, that I rescued, who became a pet, I can say, that one duck, was also quite territorial, got on well with my dogs, even an Irish Setter, because he was so very dominate and assertive, and did attack new people, friends who came to my house ...but OMG, he liked to poo, only on my patio, up against the sliding glass door windows, and it was a big job to clean that up every single day!

I think I don't live in an appropriate environment to keep these kind of birds, not enough land, not enough space between neighbors, etc. Too many dogs that might not get along with them, etc. But if I did live somewhere a bit rural, and had enough space, I would probably get some ...I would welcome any new animals/pets in general anyway.

Edited by amykat

How and to what lengths you secure your home depends on your location and how your home is used.

Cameras are all well and good but most people that install them have very very limited mental abilities and put them up to capture the expected path a burglar might take in/out of the property, great you will get some footage of a shielded face coming or going.

IME it is better the have a few dummy cameras, with flashing LED if you can be disciplined to replace the flat batteries periodically, even better if they are installed at such a height that a "clever" would-be burglar can reach and cut the tempting cable going to the fake unit - just run that cable back to a simple bell/siren and you have an alarm that responds to an attempted burglary for a dam_n sight less that 15,000 Baht.

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not at all suggesting not spending the money on a good recorded CCTV system but I'm saying that to prevent burglary you need to have multiple layers of protection and deterrent, the objective after all is to encourage the would-be burglar that it is not worth the effort to rob this particular farang's house and go elsewhere. Having an alarm that goes off after the burglar is inside is a bit late. Although putting one of the CCTV camera;s inside the house pointing out from the back of a cupboard that holds interesting looking collectables is the best way to get a full face image recorded. If they are inside it's more likely that they will not be shielding their face with a hoodie etc and have let their guard drop while they browser your belongings.

Safes are great, but notice I use the plural, you can have a proper safe that (if possible is built in & hidden - done yourself) you use and then a smaller sacrificial safe, load it with a few short lengths of light steel chain and some large washers and cut down newspaper, that sounds just right when shaken. About the size of an average PC made from mild steel. They find that and they are gone thumbsup.gif

Your wife's jewellery, again if she can be trained to keep her mouth shut about your clever anti-burglar schemes create either a fake jewellery box (easy to fill with shiny looking junk from the weekly market place) on show or put the fake stuff in a wardrobe draw - everyone always puts their valuables in the same place.

We have has two significance robberies with the village in the past 5 years: 200,000 Baht Sin-Sod cash taken from a Thai household by a relative the day before the wedding, they think they know how but nothing ever proven. And a farang house * raided probably by a relation or friend of the household's teenage son that took ~30,000 Baht cash and other monies hidden in a drawer within a bedroom along with other pocket-sized goodies, in this case the household has many dogs (not very scary) but they were locked on and the house was secured but empty for about 20 minutes on the day in question. This is a remote village so it was either itinerant opportunistic salespeople/theft or they knew the household and were waiting for the moment to act.....

So when placing CCTV consider that places beyond the house are worth watching too, consider where a burglar might need to park their car/bike and watch those places too. Any smart burglar will do a reconnaissance first, so if you have an attempted break in wind back the CCTV to the previous days recorded footage to get faces and number plates.

If the police do nothing, even after an encouragement fee? Consider producing your own wanted posters with faces etc. At risk of slander laws however the message is that you are equipped and able to identity people - makes them stay away.

As for dogs, they are great. But not very useful inside. The normal procedure for a planned burglary is the dog is poisoned the day/afternoon before the attack, a guard dog does NOT have to be a big brute with fangs, a small yappy dog that responds to the noise of someone moving at night, it wakes you and the other dogs up and is easily replaced - sorry to sound harsh but it is realistic in some situations.

Being a farang target in a village is mitigated if you make the effort to integrate and be part of the village rather than just an isolated and uninvolved resident, which is I believe a factor in the theft mentioned above.*

As for the bars on windows, few seek to spend their time in a building that feels like a prison but it is a good shorthand deterrent from the outside, there are designs for hinged bars that fold down when unlocked from the inside but I have not seen them in Thailand, I suggest that you would need to import the design idea from the US.

Guns. Having police in the family that may be on site with their firearms might offer some deterrent, the only recent and local incident I know of some miles South of our place is where an English guy who was separated from his Thai wife in a bitter and messy divorce attempted late one night to visit her house after drinking heavily to "discuss" money with her, he was shot by his former brother in law with a revolver when mistaken (?) for a burglar climbing over the garden wall. As far as I know there was no comeback of follow-up on the guy with the gun at all. Steve's death is written up in the Issan forum a year or two ago, I had met him a few times long ago.

In summary look at the problem with burglar's eyes from how they might tackle your house and it's security. Have multiple layers that each offer something to the whole and don't depend on one technique.

Thanks Cuban, for your very good post. You have mentioned many great ideas, in enough detail, that they will be very helpful! I have done some of the things you mentioned, already for years ...mostly regarding jewelry ...being a woman (my own wife so-to-speak) I care about my stuff and don't have to worry about a "Thai wife" (or husband) who blabs everything, everywhere, but I know what you mean.

Thailand has been a mostly go-jewelry-free zone for me, since it can only bring problems, so even if someone stole every single thing I have here, (other than maybe a few watches) I wouldn't really care. I would say, my most basic protection, has been having very few things I care about here, so that I don't make myself a target, and if I do get a thief, I won't be broken by it. I had a huge flood the first year I lived here, and lost 90% of everything that I had recently bought to fully furnish a house here, and my brand new car, so since then, I have been even more risk averse. I also had a burglar at my first house, the one that flooded, but my big (now dead) dog, broke through a glass door, and took them out! I was actually still waiting for the glass to be replaced (because I tried to order safety glass) when the flood came. My dog almost bled to death, but didn't, and was around for many more years, and I always especially loved him for this!

Maybe I should just post a photo of my old dog, on the gate/wall and say "this dog is inside waiting for you"!

Edited by amykat

When it comes to functional firearms, unless you have police/army within your Thai family I strongly suggest it is not worth the hassle. Illegally obtained firearms are possible, but unless you move in those circles you will not have the connections to get them or the ammunition. Also black market weapons are generally "used" and you don't really want a connection with their back history.

Bear in mind that legally purchased guns are very expensive compared to US prices, there is gun street in Bangkok aka Burapha Road, expect about 65,000 Baht for a basic handgun. Farang licensing is possible after many checks and references - but you need to show you have many assets and money worth stealing, and that you have no enemies or local grudges against you. My BIL tells me the licence itself is very cheap.

Then you need to choose something with stopping power but not over penetration and getting the right ammunition is less easy in Thailand suppliers carry a much reduced range of charges and makes. To be effective in handgun use you need to train and practice about once a week.

Out of interest I favor the Taurus Judge, it will carry either 410 shotgun shells (buckshot deterrent) or a .45 round (killing shot), but when tested my wife has proven she is not yet ready to handle handguns safely, but she's a good shot with a semi automatic rifle whistling.gif

Not sure I've seen sporting Starting Pistols in Thailand, this might be a solution as might a better electric BB type gun, well placed head shots at closer range would be effective in most cases I would expect.

But the prime objective is to make the perp go away, better to win the fight before you have to get your hands dirty in dealing with bodies etc.

IMHO this is a fight best fought with brains and visual deterrents rather than force.

Edited by Cuban