Thai Policeman's Brother Killed For Trying To Stop A Fight

webfact

I'm not a big believer in guns, but he wasn't stabbed to death with a gun.

I do find humor in that. Schadenfreude.

He took a gun to a knife fight and lost.

What are the odds?

He should have pulled his gun before getting involved and stabbed lethal.thumbsup.gif

What are the odds?

Actually, statistically, quite good.

A substantial number of on duty LEOs are killed every year by knife-welding assailants. They place too much weight on the firearm, and are often stabbed before they have drawn the firearm, rather than moving out of range first, then drawing.

What are the odds?

A substantial number of on duty LEOs are killed every year by knife-welding assailants. They place too much weight on the firearm, and are often stabbed before they have drawn the firearm, rather than moving out of range first, then drawing.

Yes - saw a video of a police officer in a South American country killed by a guy with a bowie knife. Although several other officers had actually drawn their weapons none reacted quickly enought. The murdered officer got too close, the guy rushed him and delivered several stab wounds before being shot.

What are the odds?

Yes - saw a video of a police officer in a South American country killed by a guy with a bowie knife. Although several other officers had actually drawn their weapons none reacted quickly enought. The murdered officer got too close, the guy rushed him and delivered several stab wounds before being shot.

Surprising. I was always taught exactly that. Get out of range, draw and control the situation...and be prepared to shoot...warning first, then to kill.

Guess he went to the "Carry a gun because it's cool school".

• Like 1

11 mm handgun is some serious firepower however, it did not appear to have done him much good. There was no mention of any of the others suffering from knife wounds and he ends up dead because he had a gun and presented the highest threat level. I have little symphathy for these rambo types . Why would any sane individual want to go to a birthday party with a gun. Answer ego and attitude Just maybe this may serve to the many other Thai rambo's that simply flashing a big pistol can do you more harm than good.

Maybe I'm wrong. But it seems like I am constantly hearing about how any Thai person- any- can potentially get very violent with you if you cross certain, possibly invisible, lines with them in regards of disrespect or perceived disrespect... does this stem from a lack of faith in the police to help settle disputes, or is there something else in the culture that would bring violence a little closer to the surface here?

... or am I completely misreading this and Thai people are statistically no more violent than westerners?

Broadly true.......a simple thing such as touching ( even in a non sexual way ) a Thai man's partner will bring an explosion of rage far outside the "offence". Some things seem to trigger immediate and violent responses.

What you will find here though is that the capacity for violent retribution goes way beyond what you will expect to see in other countries. You will see effective lynchings with packs of Thais both male and female beating the life out of one victim. That's never mind the glass, knife and gun assaults.

The reason why you are advised to never get involved in a conflict is that you will invariably cause a knock on effect where all Thais in the vicinity will fire in to you, so unless you fancy fighting the entire village / pub / club, then get away as fast as you can.

Maybe what you call some "invisible" line of inappropriate touching of a Thai female is really based on the exploitation of Thai women in Thailand by Westerners who grab and touch inappropriately and always for very low cost.....the rage is a build-up of a few decades of exploitation of Thai women perhaps, that you are not taking into account.

They pay more than so many Thai men do down the karioke bar, soapy etc and the women are a lot older in tourist areas. Women isn't probably the right word and how many Thai men treat them as girlfriends or marry or sponsor the bar girls ? The answer = zero.

Your thought would simply be a case amongst some Thais of do as I say not as I do (same as everywhere). Which is particularly prevelent in the lower and underclasses who most farangs only mix with exculsivly and are rolling drunk in bars and believe all Thais are like this. Many Thais carry weapons for self defence with no intention of using them for any other reason due to the behaviour of so many low lifes in this country.

Touch another blokes girlfriend in your own country and it's quite likely the guy will lamp you, try it in areas of South London, Coventry, Glasgow etc and again you are quite likely to get stabbed or shot.

Edited by arthurwait

its not self defence to carry a weapon,its because as humans there inadequate,,with no self esteem,,and think there real he-men,,but there really really tough when they outnumber a victim usually 8-1,,,its safer for them then,,,,ooooooooow so hard,,better lock me gate now,,coffee1.gif,,,,,,,,,mind you if someone pointed so much as a cucumber at me id probably poop meself,,hahahhahaa

Edited by winstonc

Sometimes I wonder if all these Thai guys know something we do not.

Meaning these guys think all the other Thai guys have guns, so they had

better carry one too.

This story reinforces once again a cornerstone of my being

here, which is to NEVER EVER drink with Thai men. It is said

that in wine there is truth, but it seems the truth that comes

out here is pretty ugly...

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

Another tragic death but I have to ask why was he carrying a firearm ? Will there be a valid reason or just because it's the done thing, however if he was legally carrying in connection with his job for example why was he out drinking when armed ? It's all a recipe for disaster.

Thai ego, emotional regression, inferiority complexes and alcohol are a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

1000B says that guy in police custody is currently enjoying the pleasures of a car battery to the gonnads as we speak. And will be doing so for quite sometime, possibly until the case is thrown out as he will have dissappeaed from police custody and cannot be found anywhere.

Well Chalerm's son killed a policeman in full view of lots of witnesses in a bar, and he got off scot free. I am sure this guy will enjoy the same happy judicial outcome.......[ sarcasm button off]

Batteries to the gonads ?? I always wondered how the Thai

police got such speedy confessions. :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Maybe I'm wrong. But it seems like I am constantly hearing about how any Thai person- any- can potentially get very violent with you if you cross certain, possibly invisible, lines with them in regards of disrespect or perceived disrespect... does this stem from a lack of faith in the police to help settle disputes, or is there something else in the culture that would bring violence a little closer to the surface here?

... or am I completely misreading this and Thai people are statistically no more violent than westerners?

Broadly true.......a simple thing such as touching ( even in a non sexual way ) a Thai man's partner will bring an explosion of rage far outside the "offence". Some things seem to trigger immediate and violent responses.

What you will find here though is that the capacity for violent retribution goes way beyond what you will expect to see in other countries. You will see effective lynchings with packs of Thais both male and female beating the life out of one victim. That's never mind the glass, knife and gun assaults.

The reason why you are advised to never get involved in a conflict is that you will invariably cause a knock on effect where all Thais in the vicinity will fire in to you, so unless you fancy fighting the entire village / pub / club, then get away as fast as you can.

Maybe what you call some "invisible" line of inappropriate touching of a Thai female is really based on the exploitation of Thai women in Thailand by Westerners who grab and touch inappropriately and always for very low cost.....the rage is a build-up of a few decades of exploitation of Thai women perhaps, that you are not taking into account.

They pay more than so many Thai men do down the karioke bar, soapy etc and the women are a lot older in tourist areas. Women isn't probably the right word and how many Thai men treat them as girlfriends or marry or sponsor the bar girls ? The answer = zero.

Your thought would simply be a case amongst some Thais of do as I say not as I do (same as everywhere). Which is particularly prevelent in the lower and underclasses who most farangs only mix with exculsivly and are rolling drunk in bars and believe all Thais are like this. Many Thais carry weapons for self defence with no intention of using them for any other reason due to the behaviour of so many low lifes in this country.

Touch another blokes girlfriend in your own country and it's quite likely the guy will lamp you, try it in areas of South London, Coventry, Glasgow etc and again you are quite likely to get stabbed or shot.

Unfortunately...you are absolutely rightsad.png

Pretty much ALL police (and police relatives) carry while off duty. Including to the pub.

Scary ain't it. Beware of people wearing brown trousers and shiny shoes:ph34r:

Pity you didn't click on the link in the story. He was wearing blue jeans.

Most primitive societies operate this way. Not about Thai people, about development stage of society.

Try having a disagreement with an African tribesman or PNG native.

Most primitive societies operate this way. Not about Thai people, about development stage of society.

Interesting concept. When you look at Thailand, and you see high rise buildings, jets flying around, and Thai satellites orbiting overhead, it seems pretty developed. But perhaps you are right, all this technology was brought in , not created locally. So development of the culture might be lagging behind the veneer of a modern culture Thailand presents to the world. Well in Bangkok anyway. Isan has clearly not caught up.... :-)

Another issue may be the " justice" system. It sure seems that a lot of people think they can escape justice from the system, so have little fear of it. That is certainly true for the hiso people, not really sure about the loso people. I liked the Thai guy that shot his wife at a restaurant in front of lots of witnesses and somehow got away with it.......

My idea of hell, waking up in the middle of a large group of drunk Thai men, all armed to the hilt.

Ha. Not long ago at a party near my house, a cop goes inside and brings out his new semi-auto pistol to "show" everyone.

Passing it around, one guy is holding it, gun discharges.

Everything goes quiet.

Seconds later, his prized boxing cow, a few meters away, goes down.

Everyone there was drunk. But the cow.

Interesting concept. When you look at Thailand, and you see high rise buildings, jets flying around, and Thai satellites orbiting overhead, it seems pretty developed. But perhaps you are right, all this technology was brought in , not created locally. So development of the culture might be lagging behind the veneer of a modern culture Thailand presents to the world. Well in Bangkok anyway. Isan has clearly not caught up.... :-)

Another issue may be the " justice" system. It sure seems that a lot of people think they can escape justice from the system, so have little fear of it. That is certainly true for the hiso people, not really sure about the loso people. I liked the Thai guy that shot his wife at a restaurant in front of lots of witnesses and somehow got away with it.......

It is interesting. Their country is more developed than its neighbors, but their level of emotional maturity isn't.

Like most problems here, face is largely responsible.

lol. What a load of rubbish.. Thai man have happily been exploiting Thai women long before the white man came here. Edited by Sayonarax
  • Like 2