Why was Burger King in Jungceylon full today?

NamKangMan

I buy bulk burgers every two months or so. I do enjoy the fillings, but I also know that after eating on of these meals the next requirement is to find toilet within 2 hours. Burger meals always result with stomach pain.

This does not happen to me with the street food in Thailand. I would say that the local small shops are way better quality than some imported junk food.

Actually it's funny you mention about having to do the toilet dash after burger eating, because for me, it's the Pad Thai that does it. I think it is probably something to do with all the oil.

Don't get me wrong, i love a lot of Thai food, including the stuff served street side, and eat it regularly, but after you see the way a lot of it is cooked, what gets added, what doesn't get cleaned, makes you think again about just exactly how healthy it is.

Just because Thais generally don't have a problem with obesity, doesn't mean that the food they are eating isn't causing them other sorts of perhaps less visible, but just as potentially dangerous, problems.

I have decided that I live this life and then I die. Without too much concern what is currently considered healthy eating.

Those trends tend to change over the years. Sometimes salt, sugar, eggs and butter are very unhealthy.. then next decade 'pure' foods are the thing to eat.

I do prefer foods which are made from real materials. I do know that the deep fried chicken parts are not exactly healthy, but I eat those anyway. My stomach do not protest that either.

If I eat McDonalds food, there is always an response by my stomach. The same happens, when I eat some of the foods from my home country. For example 'dark bread' is delicious, but will eventually result as pain in the stomach.

I think it's what the stomach is used to consume and I still believe that in general Thai foods are more purer or in other words, less pre produced than the food which is consumed in farang world nowdays.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy bulk burgers every two months or so. I do enjoy the fillings, but I also know that after eating on of these meals the next requirement is to find toilet within 2 hours. Burger meals always result with stomach pain.

This does not happen to me with the street food in Thailand. I would say that the local small shops are way better quality than some imported junk food.

Actually it's funny you mention about having to do the toilet dash after burger eating, because for me, it's the Pad Thai that does it. I think it is probably something to do with all the oil.

Don't get me wrong, i love a lot of Thai food, including the stuff served street side, and eat it regularly, but after you see the way a lot of it is cooked, what gets added, what doesn't get cleaned, makes you think again about just exactly how healthy it is.

Just because Thais generally don't have a problem with obesity, doesn't mean that the food they are eating isn't causing them other sorts of perhaps less visible, but just as potentially dangerous, problems.

I have decided that I live this life and then I die. Without too much concern what is currently considered healthy eating.

Those trends tend to change over the years. Sometimes salt, sugar, eggs and butter are very unhealthy.. then next decade 'pure' foods are the thing to eat.

I do prefer foods which are made from real materials. I do know that the deep fried chicken parts are not exactly healthy, but I eat those anyway. My stomach do not protest that either.

If I eat McDonalds food, there is always an response by my stomach. The same happens, when I eat some of the foods from my home country. For example 'dark bread' is delicious, but will eventually result as pain in the stomach.

I think it's what the stomach is used to consume and I still believe that in general Thai foods are more purer or in other words, less pre produced than the food which is consumed in farang world nowdays.

Stomach Cancer mate sorry fo your others loss

Have to say that a Burger King or even a McD in the Kata/Chalong area would be welcome. Gave that Mike's Burger place a try yet again last week - indifferent (= terrible) service and horrible soggy burgers. There must be something better in the fast food world.

Where is Mikes Burger?

Its the old stevos burger joint, not too flash. I have to be hammered to give stevos (now moved up near the zoo) or mikes burgers a go again

If you don't eat hamburgers then you are missing one of best foods in life. People who refer to burgers as junk food are probably trying to break the habit because they are too fat. I love them. Mrs. Don made Richard Hare and myself a super Cheeseburger today. Richard, a Canadian is an escapee from Phuket. He has found peace in Chiang Rai.You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy. My new book, Lost In Bangkok For 30 Years, tells it all.

There are 2 types of people in this world. Those that eat hamburgers and admit it, and those who eat hamburgers and wont admit it.

I agree a hamburger and fries is a luxury I cant do without

Jo's downstairs is meant to do a really good burger and so does Bliss and Sea Breeze on Surin...I have also heard that there will be an island wide burger fest competition which was advertised on the radio last year held soon with all the top restaurants competing for a place in the final cook off

Can someone make this image smaller?

2013-04-26-17.20.54.jpg

^ It will already be resized on most browsers depending on what browser and how old the version. (Actually Thaivisa software) Mine's resized fine. If I click it then it's 4 times the size of my 17in screen. Looks yummy.

Edited by NomadJoe

The photo of that burger looks horrible.

What are those other things in it? Calamari?

From their website ...

Joe's Famous Burger

Hand Ground, 185 Gram, 100% Prime Australian Beef Burger Chargrilled and Served on a Fresh Onion Bun with Crisp Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion and Golden French Fries.

Choice of: Dijon, Ketchup or Both.

Add: Bacon, Gouda Cheese, or Avocado

Although no price quoted

Onion rings

Inside a burger??!!

Should be a side dish. Might as well chuck the fries in there as well.

Is it just me, or is that a "hair" stuck to the righthand side of the slice of cheese?

If so, that's not a great advertisement.

A Thai street burger would be more hygienic. :) :) :) :)

Onion rings

Inside a burger??!!

Is it just me, or is that a "hair" stuck to the righthand side of the slice of cheese?

A Thai street burger would be more hygienic. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Did you try Bangkok Burger NKM?

Onion rings

Inside a burger??!!

A Thai street burger would be more hygienic. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Did you try Bangkok Burger NKM?

Not yet. Have pencilled it in for next week sometime.

I'm not "anti-burger." I was just surprised how full Burger King was the other day. Every table was taken, inside and outside, and there was a que at the counter. People were sitting on the small wall out the front eating as well. I've never seen the place like that before.

Could it have been a single tour party?

Yer think??

I thought about that, but there were mixed nationalities, genders and ages. Possibly a promotion with discount vouchers, who knows. I didn't see any stickers on shirts to indicate a day tour group.

I avoid roadside food stalls and traditional thai restaurants simply because I've got sick too many times, seems that unregulated unhygienic greasy spoon kitchens like that are pushing more and more people to unhealthy but safe hygienic places like Burger King , KFC and McDonald's !!!!

Once they are regulated and checked and certified safe like most other countries then people would start to trust what the eat in these so called healthy local thai eateries !!!

Onion rings

Inside a burger??!!

A Thai street burger would be more hygienic. :) :) :) :)

Yes. I think it is a hair. Lol.

post-147411-13719039529664_thumb.jpg

I avoid roadside food stalls and traditional thai restaurants simply because I've got sick too many times, seems that unregulated unhygienic greasy spoon kitchens like that are pushing more and more people to unhealthy but safe hygienic places like Burger King , KFC and McDonald's !!!!

Once they are regulated and checked and certified safe like most other countries then people would start to trust what the eat in these so called healthy local thai eateries !!!

Funny.....I've been eating street food in Africa, India and all over SE Asia for 33 years and have only had a stomach upset once (Philippines).

Must be the colonies of different bacteria we have in our alimentary canal that makes the difference.

Onion rings

Inside a burger??!!

Yes, I do believe it is.

I wonder what all those "clean freaks" have to say about that. :) :)

Eat whatever you want from the street, just have a Sangsom whiskey afterwards. It kills everything, including yourself. :) :)

Onion rings

Inside a burger??!!

Hair doesnt worry me, its not properly washed hands after a heavy session in the hong nam that I find disturbing. Then straight back to the wok

Plenty of people are happy to eat what they eat back home when on vacation. If they don't wish to eat Thai food then that's their choice.

Can't see the point in being bothered about other peoples choice of food, up to them what they want to eat.

Well, why not go for a nice steak, or chicken breast, with veggies?

Why eat this rubbish?

It's low season, and quite a low season, and this place was full as if it was a high, high season.

I don't frequent fast food, but I don't understand why you feel you should dictate what people eat. When are you going to choose what they wear? Go? Movies they watch? etc.

Plenty of people are happy to eat what they eat back home when on vacation. If they don't wish to eat Thai food then that's their choice.

Can't see the point in being bothered about other peoples choice of food, up to them what they want to eat.

Well, why not go for a nice steak, or chicken breast, with veggies?

Why eat this rubbish?

It's low season, and quite a low season, and this place was full as if it was a high, high season.

I don't frequent fast food, but I don't understand why you feel you should dictate what people eat. When are you going to choose what they wear? Go? Movies they watch? etc.

Ahhh, I was just posting my observations and questioned their selection of food, whilst on holiday.

I'm not try to "dictate what people eat." If I were, you could call me an "influential person" on Phuket, which, sadly, I am not. :) :)

It's just a bit of internet banter.

Just an update on this thread.

I went to Jungceylon today and passed by Burger King. There were a couple of young Thai girls handing out discount coupons.

"Buy 1 - Get 1 Free" Also, there were big signs out the front offering 50% off fries, onion rings etc.

So, that would explain why they were full.

It seems these "high end tourists" have a keen eye for a bargain. :) :)

• Like 1