Serial Posters. No Life Outside Thai Visa ?

soi41

When son gave me pc in 1999 to go live in Bangkok, it was fantastic to have contact with lots more broadminded people around the world 24/7 when newly widowed: thus I became an addict. These days I use net only for quick squizz for news, info and emails (wonderful facilities!) tho occasionally waste hours online when tired out or wet weather.

It is a boon for those who are disabled, unemployed or on "meds" for depression as some of them might otherwise have little contact with others.

However, the internet can also become a hindrance not to get outside your little room and have genuine contact with actual -- not virtual -- persons which is what those persons often much more really need.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a boon for those who are disabled, unemployed or on "meds" for depression as some of them might otherwise have little contact with others.

Fantastic - and these are the people who are telling me how to live/act/meet/eat/sleep/breathe/defecate/fornicate in Thailand ? Jesus wept.

• Like 2

Half the posts here are aimed at Blether and seem to be quite spitefully written. If you don't like what he has to say, don't read his words. What's with the harassment I don't understand? Get over it.

Maybe his repetitive,sanctimonious diatribe gets rather tedious over time?
So does the mud slinging. Very tedious.
  • Like 2

Half the posts here are aimed at Blether and seem to be quite spitefully written. If you don't like what he has to say, don't read his words. What's with the harassment I don't understand? Get over it.

Maybe his repetitive,sanctimonious diatribe gets rather tedious over time?
So does the mud slinging. Very tedious.

Some topics never grow old. If I wanted to marry a Thai woman, how much sin sod should I pay?

Who else is going to be staying up for the Wire - Pie Eaters game?

SC

Fantastic - and these are the people who are telling me how to live/act/meet/eat/sleep/breathe/defecate/fornicate in Thailand ? Jesus wept.

It's good to see a solid core of Christian morality on this thread. Too many threads are soiled by irreverent blasphemy and hedonistic wickedness.

When son gave me pc in 1999 to go live in Bangkok, it was fantastic to have contact with lots more broadminded people around the world 24/7 when newly widowed: thus I became an addict. These days I use net only for quick squizz for news, info and emails (wonderful facilities!) tho occasionally waste hours online when tired out or wet weather.

However, the internet can also become a hindrance not to get outside your little room and have genuine contact with actual -- not virtual -- persons which is what those persons often much more really need.

I'm only posting now because the bloke sat next to me in the bar has pissed off to catch his plane. I suppose instead I could keep up to date with current affairs by watching on TV an interview with an American boxer with the sound turned off...

SC

• Like 1

Not saying he did, but people do change over time.

And for the better too, self-discipline isn't something you have or don't have, it's the perceived result, outcome of a combination of genetics (IMO minor factor), personality traits learned from parents, culture and peers in early life (IMO major factor) and the habitual application of healthy habits that build on each other, ideally becoming automatic and therefore no longer sapping the limited "willpower energy" we have available for each day's efforts.

A bout of depression or falling into bad habits, addictions that sap that energy can lay your whole life to waste.

Slowly starting with baby steps building the good habits back up result in behavior patterns (re-)forming until you're back to high levels of productivity and suddenly people see you as "self-disciplined" again as if you were born with it.

Other virtues like kindness, empathy and skills even certain types of intelligence are the same, the human mind is infinitely mutable.

But most people prefer to be stuck in their long-term habitual patterns.

Do you know where I left my car keys?

Edited by evadgib

I totally concur with OP on this topic. I think that there are a lot of old fella's who look at this forum everyday and some are just out to write controversial things and fight / argue and bitch on about things.

All I can say to these old guys is GET A LIFE...

Concurring is boring.

BTW I am an old guy online today and for the next week or so because I am monitoring and commenting (mostly but not exclusively via Twitter) on a United Nations Conference via a USA based NGO. So what are you doing with YOUR begotten life?

In your dreams, only in your dreams.

I totally concur with OP on this topic. I think that there are a lot of old fella's who look at this forum everyday and some are just out to write controversial things and fight / argue and bitch on about things.

All I can say to these old guys is GET A LIFE...

Concurring is boring.

BTW I am an old guy online today and for the next week or so because I am monitoring and commenting (mostly but not exclusively via Twitter) on a United Nations Conference via a USA based NGO. So what are you doing with YOUR begotten life?

In your dreams, only in your dreams.

No -- quite real.

Edited by JLCrab

Serial Posters. As opposed to serial voyeurs, who vastly outnumber them.

I do have some background and experience in the phenomenon of social media, from when I first went online in Oz, with a Commodore 64 and Modem in the late 80s, even before the days of the internet as we know it today. When they were called BBS'.

I went online in Oz when the net first started. In that time had the Space Race kept pace with the Internet we would be all taking vacations on Mars now.

I have been the designer, webmaster and manager for a lot of sites in this time. Including a very large Australian Government site. I am out of it now and just continue to run my own. it appears, on the outside, to be the 'dream job', working from home, sitting at a keyboard. But it is not without its own problems.

I have run my own website for 16 Years (JULY 1997), which includes a Forum and Messageboard, which I added a year later, as the applications for doing so, such as PHP Script, MySQL databases, and Open source Software proliferated. Running my own online service singlehandedly keeps me well occupied and TV is the only other forum I visit or post in, other than my own. I usually come in around June every year when my Visa is due for renewel, mostly to check for any changes and/or updates. Sometimes I get 'hooked' and jump into some particular discussions as it is a bit of a departure from my own genre specific and restricted, non general public, members area.

Serial Posters? Blogs. News Sites. Facebook. Twitter. Youtube. Now. Why would you want to single out TV.

Serial Voyeurs?

The vast majority of people don't post. As little as 10% are regular posters. These would be what the OP refers to as Serial Posters I guess. Over the years I have, on many occasions, been very tempted to close the Discussion Forums on my site. It sometimes gets you down, as you get to experience the very worst of human nature. Up to and including death threats. But when considering doing so the Non Posting Serial 'Voyeurs' go into panic mode. They flood me with messages not to close it down because they can't face life without their 'daily fix', their own words, not mine, of logging in and reading what the serial posters have had to say.

Ironically, I experimented with social media, such as Facebook type applications, when they were first being written in CGI Code, long before they had a name for it. I was a big fan. Today I am not so enthusiastic. Did we create a 'monster'? And will the 'Pros' continue to outnumber the 'Cons'.

Anyway, to all the 'Serial Posters' out there, just remember you are providing a service, whether you realise it or not, to the serial voyeurs who perhaps have even less of a life, for they have often have no opinion about it either. Or none that they are willing to share.

Very good post!thumbsup.gif

And not really surprised it got a "like" from our main serviceprovider Khun JT. rolleyes.gif

Took me 10 years to make my first 1000 posts on TV (as a normal every day member) - post count seems to have increased over the past 10 months though.

whistling.gif

It will reduce drastically once Jingthing pops his clogs.

I always enjoy reading what Blether has to say, us Scots always stick together.

• Like 1

Never leave your mates behind, eh ? I thought that was a Navy thing ....... ;)

Never leave your mates behind, eh ? I thought that was a Navy thing ....... wink.png

Not necessarily. My Maternal Grandfather was army. - 5th Btn (Renfrewshire) Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Gallipoli. Palestine and Western Front. And survived.

The Thin Red LIne. Aye.

Cerealwhistling.gif posters are the pit traders of internet forums -- they keep the threads moving.

Quality, cerealcoffee1.gif posters are hard to find. These days there are too much corn flakes.

Ah I see theblether is summoned. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 2

I got all excited when I read that some men here had "advanced members". Then somebody told me what it really meant and I was disappointed.

Never mind Rene , christmas is just around the corner . :D

Super

I got all excited when I read that some men here had "advanced members". Then somebody told me what it really meant and I was disappointed.

Never mind Rene , christmas is just around the corner . biggrin.png

Super

Oh dear, I was dissappointed with my given title as 'senior member' for a reason.sad.png So I opted to change it.smile.png

Edited by Dancealot

I spent a long time on TV yesterday because there was some serious posting on one particular thread that really interested me.

Long posts of high quality from interesting and intelligent members.

Today I'm floating around a bit, flicking between channels.

Sport, comedy, birdwatching in Isan etc.

Have a nice day.

Yes, that's correct, even when they are TWT's and don't know what they are talking about.

• Like 1

Yes, that's correct, even when they are TWT's and don't know what they are talking about.

How typical. coffee1.gif

• Like 1