After 22years Big Bill says good-bye to Patong&Phuket

TheWizardofRnR

Big Bill,

End of an era, my old friend.

The timing is surprising; I have also just decided 'enough is enough' and am planning to move back to Songkhla after 12 years here. I am happy to leave what's left of the island's natural charm to my friends from Russia and China, along with the tuk-tuk mafia and never-ending circus parade of useless bureaucrats who shuffle through here and do nothing to save the place from the never-ending gang rape they call "poorly regulated development". Hopefully the road to Patong will remain in place until I pull out. whistling.gif

Oops, that sounds pretty negative.

All the best to you and Flower.

Go Patriots, Bruins, Red Sox and Celts! (couldn't resist)

:)

• Like 2

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're moving to Chiang Mai you are going to love it. Don't know what concrete pastures of the North you are talking about biggrin.png

Anyway I wish you good luck.

Chiang Mai is not without it's problems I can assure you of that....

Big Bill,

The timing is surprising; I have also just decided 'enough is enough' and am planning to move back to Songkhla after 12 years here. I am happy to leave what's left of the island's natural charm to my friends from Russia and China, along with the tuk-tuk mafia and never-ending circus parade of useless bureaucrats who shuffle through here and do nothing to save the place from the never-ending gang rape they call "poorly regulated development". Hopefully the road to Patong will remain in place until I pull out. whistling.gif

smile.png

"Songkhla" - so, a war zone is now nicer than Phuket. That's really saying something. :) :)

If you're moving to Chiang Mai you are going to love it. Don't know what concrete pastures of the North you are talking about biggrin.png

Anyway I wish you good luck.

Chiang Mai is not without it's problems I can assure you of that....

Can you name a few?

still many of us that moved here in the 80's/ early 90's still remain, we brought our land, build our homes, raised our families and still enjoy it here,

If u stay out of Patong and don't need travel to Phuket town much, its a dam nice place to live ( especially over here in Kamala)

My extension took 15 minutes last Thursday including re-entry..

Purgatory/ Hell?? long long way from that. All one needs to do is get off the island for awhile an you will see its still all good :-)

Big Bill,

smile.png

"Songkhla" - so, a war zone is now nicer than Phuket. That's really saying something. smile.pngsmile.png

Songkhla isn't a war zone by any stretch of the imagination.

Big Bill,

smile.png

"Songkhla" - so, a war zone is now nicer than Phuket. That's really saying something. smile.pngsmile.png

Here's one Government that disagrees with you. :)

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

Edited by NamKangMan

Big Bill,

smile.png

Here's one Government that disagrees with you. smile.png

I think I'll trust what I saw and experienced myself, over a warning from a notorious nanny state.

Big Bill,

smile.png

Here's one Government that disagrees with you. smile.png

Thanks for calling my attention to that. It is disgraceful for the Australian government to include Songkhla in that warning. Songkhla has 16 districts, only four of which were under the Internal Security Act at one point. There haven't been any 'incidents' in any of those districts in a long time, and certainly none in which a foreign tourist was harmed.

To be honest, I feel safer even in notorious Red Zones in Yala than I do here in Phuket. How many foreigners, I would like to know, have been killed or wounded in this conflict? As far as I know, and I have been following it closely for a long time, only one: a Chinese guy who was likely mistaken for someone else about six years ago. If they really wanted to target foreigners they could easily do a Bali-style bombing in Patong -- but they haven't and won't. It wouldn't help their cause any more than getting into bed with Al Qaida or JI.

I will let the Songkhla Chamber of Commerce be aware of this.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, which should be reserved for saying 'bye' to the Big Bill, so I will end on that note.

Looks like most of you guys have been here quiet a long time. I arrived in Phuket in April 2006 so even being here 7 years I'm more or less a newbie compared to most. After spending 4 great years in Phuket (Kata/Karon) we decided that cost of living was getting out of hand along with a slowly accelerating crime rate and we also wanted to buy some land and build a home and with the land prices in Phuket (for us) it was not possible. Have visited Pattaya didn't think as nice as Phuket. We jumped on our Phantom and started driving towards Bangkok checking out all the places in between. We found the Cha Am Hua Hin area the best for cost of living land prices Farang community and a very nice beach. We bought a small bit of land built (local man who built home did a fantastic job cheaply) our very nice 1650 sq ft 3 bdrm 2 bath home for 1 million baht. We settled in Tha Yang area 40K north of Cha Am 65K north of Hua Hin.

I would suggest to anyone seriously thinking of leaving Phuket but remaining in Thailand to spend a few days in Cha Am/Hua Hin area. Where ever you go, good luck

That's exactly where I'm looking right now ..

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

We will not be looking in Chaing Mai , Pattaya is more Wheelchair friendly then Bkk ,

so it is one of the places we are looking at .....plus I know lots of folks there and

more important the prices on most things are better then here.....

best of luck to you bill....are you the American guy that used to run/own rock hard? I think I met you there once long ago when patong was a wonderful place with friendly thais prior to being taken over by the taxi mafias and being wall to wall euro couples who thought paying 1000 baht for a meal was normal pricing....and rock hard was a great bar with some very friendly and attractive dancers....

@ phuketsub

No problem. Just make sure your insurance is in order for living down there, that's all.

I actually kind of enjoy the fact that the 'security issue' is so wantonly distorted, with even know-nothing bureaucratic hacks from a "Down Under" government helping to not blow the price curve...The best insurance of all is gettin' outta Dodge, and that is exactly what I intend to do. smile.png

Edited by phuketsub

i don't get why people who live here complain about high tuk tuk and taxi fares. i've never spent one baht on a taxi here. get a motorbike or car and drive yourself, its easy and cheap.

Maybe because we are not all selfish and can actually realise that it would be a benefit for people other than ourselves?

Well ,i use to drive...until my peripheral Neuropathy got so bad I had a 37000B accident , sold my Mazda and I have never rode or ride MC or MB , so all those who've never been forced to use a tuk-tuk really should not condemn using them . It be great, if like the old days when friends gave you a ride when needed , but it's become to much trouble to bother people here , they always are too busy.

So , I have no choice! BTW, I didn't intend and have not 100% committed to Pattaya , I just know for example last 4th of July Party ,We sold food at the Navy League Celebration.We were 2nd busiest food sales behind HOT DOGS&Burgers , we never ran out of food ,everyone loved it.Yet, we never had one customer from that party , other then Denny who I go back with long ago in Phuket.

So , even tho we did a great Promo and rave revues , I was shocked....can everyone really hate all of Patong , and I purposely chose a area away from Bangla with free Parking...so its not really Phuket that everyone bitches about ,its Patong and Bangla and if you go to the rip off joints ,you get what you deserve.I did 14 years at Rock Hard and many customers on here will tell you ,I did my best to never let anyone get F***ed , unless they paid the Bar Fine !

• Like 1

i don't get why people who live here complain about high tuk tuk and taxi fares. i've never spent one baht on a taxi here. get a motorbike or car and drive yourself, its easy and cheap.

Maybe because we are not all selfish and can actually realise that it would be a benefit for people other than ourselves?

Well ,i use to drive...until my peripheral Neuropathy got so bad I had a 37000B accident , sold my Mazda and I have never rode or ride MC or MB , so all those who've never been forced to use a tuk-tuk really should not condemn using them . It be great, if like the old days when friends gave you a ride when needed , but it's become to much trouble to bother people here , they always are too busy.

So , I have no choice! BTW, I didn't intend and have not 100% committed to Pattaya , I just know for example last 4th of July Party ,We sold food at the Navy League Celebration.We were 2nd busiest food sales behind HOT DOGS&Burgers , we never ran out of food ,everyone loved it.Yet, we never had one customer from that party , other then Denny who I go back with long ago in Phuket.

So , even tho we did a great Promo and rave revues , I was shocked....can everyone really hate all of Patong , and I purposely chose a area away from Bangla with free Parking...so its not really Phuket that everyone bitches about ,its Patong and Bangla and if you go to the rip off joints ,you get what you deserve.I did 14 years at Rock Hard and many customers on here will tell you ,I did my best to never let anyone get F***ed , unless they paid the Bar Fine !

The problem is, Bill, the whole of Phuket has become a mine field of mafia controled BS and crime, not just Bangla Road and Patong. We, as expats, and also the tourists, are simply not getting a value for money product anymore, hence, you, and many others, are leaving, and many European tourist are detouring Phuket for their holiday. It has nothing to do with with your products. You shouldn't take it personally.

Many say they are insulated from the issues in Kata, Karon, Rawai etc and Phuket's issues only exist in Patong. I disagree, the issues are island wide, not just in Patong. Even if I was to agree, as the Patong baht shrinks, they will simply look to squeeze the other areas.

By it's very nature, greed increases, it doesn't decrease. So, I expect things will continually get worse here, especially as the local economy shrinks.

As mentioned earlier, we all have our "work arounds" - but it's getting harder to dodge the BS, and it get's tiring, and hardly makes for a relaxing retirement.

They have killed the golden goose, but they are still trying to squeeze eggs out of it. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

NKM, do you ever actually get out of Patong?

The problem is, Bill, the whole of Phuket has become a mine field of mafia controled BS and crime, not just Bangla Road and Patong. We, as expats, and also the tourists, are simply not getting a value for money product anymore, hence, you, and many others, are leaving, and many European tourist are detouring Phuket for their holiday. It has nothing to do with with your products. You shouldn't take it personally.

Many say they are insulated from the issues in Kata, Karon, Rawai etc and Phuket's issues only exist in Patong. I disagree, the issues are island wide, not just in Patong. Even if I was to agree, as the Patong baht shrinks, they will simply look to squeeze the other areas.

By it's very nature, greed increases, it doesn't decrease. So, I expect things will continually get worse here, especially as the local economy shrinks.

As mentioned earlier, we all have our "work arounds" - but it's getting harder to dodge the BS, and it get's tiring, and hardly makes for a relaxing retirement.

They have killed the golden goose, but they are still trying to squeeze eggs out of it. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I know I shouldn't take it personally , but I've put alot of Heart and Soul in everyplace I worked in Thailand , I loved being the guy who people came back to see over the years.I never wanted to run the world , just party in it , and make sure everyone ate decent food to recover LOL I never really eat Thai food (unless there's no choice) , and quality of Patong food has gone down ,except in a few places. That's why I opened our Deli, everyone was complaining about Phuket -Patong places to eat. I know there was a big hole in the Sandwich and diner foods available and after all Deli foods have a European origin , refined in NYC!. We had a rep for great food already , our frozen foods and Pickles sold great at the Deli Supermarket, we had Parking and I tried to create an atmosphere that was comfortable and as a NY Jewish friend said to me, Don't change a thing my corned beef and Pastrami were as tasty as a New York Deli. Never wanted to get rich , just pay the bills would have made me so happy. Thanks to all the well wishers , and all who tried to make our place a sucess.

• Like 2

Many people seem to look for the negatives, In the 12 years I have been here there are certainly some things that have got worse (traffic most notably) but there are also other things that have improved my life (wider choice of facilities). Many of the issues that posters complain about, just don't seem to affect me greatly. I guess it all depends on your lifestyle.

If I were a single guy, without a car and living somewhere like Patong, then maybe these issues would be more of a problem. As it is, I live a family life in a very friendly, quiet, predominantly Thai area but with easy access to quality schooling, excellent sports facilities, reasonable shopping and nice beaches. I have my own transport and on the rare occasion I go out drinking at night I arrange for a driver. For what I presently need/want, I doubt I could find a better place to live in Thailand than Phuket.

As I age and my kids grow up and leave home my requirements will change and I may find a different place better suited to me, but for now Phuket remains the best place to live in Thailand (though I do occasionally get tempted by Bangkok).

Anyway I guess we're getting off the topic a bit, so farewell Bill and good luck to you both wherever you decide to go next.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

@ Jimi007

I certainly do. I have traveled all over Thailand, even into the small villages of Issan - no, I didn't visit sick buffalos. :) :)

I've traveled, extensively, around South East Asia, and to month other countries, both developed, and 3rd World.

As far as Phuket, I often ride down to Kata, where I have some friends. I stay in a cheap guest house for the night (yes - Kata is a day trip from Patong - ridiculous) :) :) we have dinner and drinks and I come home the next day.

Admittedly, I have not had a night out in Rawai, but have been there many times for a ride on a nice day, and have stopped for lunch.

I have explored the island, but have only ever lived, full time, in Patong.

That's me, what about you?

I know I shouldn't take it personally , but I've put alot of Heart and Soul in everyplace I worked in Thailand , I loved being the guy who people came back to see over the years.I never wanted to run the world , just party in it , and make sure everyone ate decent food to recover LOL I never really eat Thai food (unless there's no choice) , and quality of Patong food has gone down ,except in a few places. That's why I opened our Deli, everyone was complaining about Phuket -Patong places to eat. I know there was a big hole in the Sandwich and diner foods available and after all Deli foods have a European origin , refined in NYC!. We had a rep for great food already , our frozen foods and Pickles sold great at the Deli Supermarket, we had Parking and I tried to create an atmosphere that was comfortable and as a NY Jewish friend said to me, Don't change a thing my corned beef and Pastrami were as tasty as a New York Deli. Never wanted to get rich , just pay the bills would have made me so happy. Thanks to all the well wishers , and all who tried to make our place a sucess.

So what could make you stay if I may ask? Clear that you don't really know where to go anyway.

So what could make you stay if I may ask? Clear that you don't really know where to go anyway.

I guess if there was a place 2brm , nice yard and neighbors that aren't nosy but friendly

Close to transport that's not a rip-off , don't get me wrong , I will always love Phuket and cherish my time here, but since I refuse to pay 200B for a tuk-tuk for 1 minute rides and friends offering to stop by and give me a ride to go party never happens. I know lots more people in BKK and Pattaya , but if I found a place around 8k like someone mentioned they paid!

I wonder who came up with the idea to make renters pay the electric bill to landlord instead of EGAT ,(is that elect. comp.?) they charge renters 7 to 9 Baht instead of the 3 or3.50Baht per k.

the EGAT charges, which doubles or almost triples the real bill . People sign a contract get the 1st bill and realize the 10k a month became instead of 13k(approx. using ac alot) 16-19k but they locked you into a year lease....It happens other areas of Th. too , but I swear the people here came up with it first!

I guess if there was a place 2brm , nice yard and neighbors that aren't nosy but friendly

Close to transport that's not a rip-off , don't get me wrong , I will always love Phuket and cherish my time here, but since I refuse to pay 200B for a tuk-tuk for 1 minute rides and friends offering to stop by and give me a ride to go party never happens. I know lots more people in BKK and Pattaya , but if I found a place around 8k like someone mentioned they paid!

I wonder who came up with the idea to make renters pay the electric bill to landlord instead of EGAT ,(is that elect. comp.?) they charge renters 7 to 9 Baht instead of the 3 or3.50Baht per k.

the EGAT charges, which doubles or almost triples the real bill . People sign a contract get the 1st bill and realize the 10k a month became instead of 13k(approx. using ac alot) 16-19k but they locked you into a year lease....It happens other areas of Th. too , but I swear the people here came up with it first!

and how about business, do you want to stay active or get more active in case you'll get over the WC flu?

Moving from Phuket to Pattaya haha... Here is me thinking your moving to a place I call real Thailand but no your going to Pattaya.. Pattaya ain't no different than Phuket.. Rip off prices just the same.. You will soon get tired of Pattaya if you think Phuket is expensive to live there

If you really think pattaya and Phuket pricing is the same it is obvious you have never been to Pattaya....pattaya has more bargains available to include 10 baht baht buses, dirt cheap beer, cheap food, cheap girls, cheap rents, etc....Phuket is overpriced in every single area compared to pattaya...not even close.

Moving from Phuket to Pattaya haha... Here is me thinking your moving to a place I call real Thailand but no your going to Pattaya.. Pattaya ain't no different than Phuket.. Rip off prices just the same.. You will soon get tired of Pattaya if you think Phuket is expensive to live there

If you really think pattaya and Phuket pricing is the same it is obvious you have never been to Pattaya....pattaya has more bargains available to include 10 baht baht buses, dirt cheap beer, cheap food, cheap girls, cheap rents, etc....Phuket is overpriced in every single area compared to pattaya...not even close.

Pattaya is certainly cheaper and if price is your only/main criteria, then it's probably a better bet for you than Phuket.

Pattaya is certainly cheaper and if price is your only/main criteria, then it's probably a better bet for you than Phuket.

"Price" may end up being the "only/main criteria" for many here in the future.

"Price" may end up being the "only/main criteria" for many here in the future.

I'm probably being a bit dim but I don't really get what you're trying to say with that post.