Would you be a lab rat for the pharmaceutical industry?

davidst01

My friend back in the nanny state of australia is being paid $3,000 to partake in a trial for a new drug being tested. He told me thus far, he has not experienced 2 of the main symptoms- erectile dysfunction or hair loss.

If I trial for a new drug was being run in LOS would you apply and partake for this amount of money?

I'm sure that if offered / advertised to the Thai general public there would be thousands of applications. One would assume that they could offer substantially less money money to run the trial in LOS as well. I've read about U.S companies running trials in India for this reason.

There was a drug test in the UK years ago where all the guinea pigs nearly died!

Very bad it was.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2006/mar/15/health.medicineandhealth2

I remember this one,

The ones that survived had horrific injurys and loss of limbs. Most where Ozzie backpackers.

<deleted> outragious!

F@@k medical trials.

CCC

The offer was made to me when I was diagnosed with Hep C. Take Interferon for a year, daily injections.

Side effects - you will feel like you have the flu - for the whole time you are taking the drug.

I passed.

Found a non-traditional healer in LOS, went back to Canada and had another biopsy - no cancer. They did not believe it so did another one - same result.

Other options than drugs for most ailments - getting my arthritis under control as we speak.

The offer was made to me when I was diagnosed with Hep C. Take Interferon for a year, daily injections.

Side effects - you will feel like you have the flu - for the whole time you are taking the drug.

I passed.

Found a non-traditional healer in LOS, went back to Canada and had another biopsy - no cancer. They did not believe it so did another one - same result.

Other options than drugs for most ailments - getting my arthritis under control as we speak.

Not wanting to nit pick but Hep C and cancer are two very different beasts?

Pick a disease, any disease. Now pick an effective treatment for that disease.

Someone was the first patient to benefit from that treatment, a guinea pig.

Of course there are tradeoffs. But if I were offered a trial to cure my inoperable cancer, or treat my ALS, or my MS or my Alzheimers, and the potential side effects were ED and baldness, I'd jump on it.

If it's a trial for a drug to reduce the visible signs of wrinkles on earlobes, with the same potential side effects, I'd decline, UNLESS:

Part of most clinical trials also include medical treatment during the course of the trial. That could easily be worth a lot more than the $3000. For some folks, clinical trials are the only way they can afford treatment. Sad state, but life ain't fair.

They have to do trials in developed countries as well to try to avoid accusations that they're unfairly abusing the poverty of poor countries.

John le Carré's "The Constant Gardener" gives a glimpse into that side of this diabolical industry, said in many interviews that he greatly understated its malevolence, which certainly hasn't gotten any better in the years since.