Dentistry student held for shooting at tourists

Lite Beer

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the risk of being controversial, how about the clown farang that assaulted him in the first place? Did he not know that never ends well in Thailand?

There's far too many complete and utter clowns wandering around CM, there was a serious fight between tourists at Jack's Van at 4.00 this morning. That's only one of three incidents of complete farang stupidity I've seen in the last two nights.

The place is getting over run by morons.

If the guy really assaulted him then punish the guy too but it does not mean the shooting is justified. I hate idiot Thais and foreigners that love to fight. Seems a trait for a certain class of people.

At the risk of being controversial, how about the clown farang that assaulted him in the first place? Did he not know that never ends well in Thailand?

There's far too many complete and utter clowns wandering around CM, there was a serious fight between tourists at Jack's Van at 4.00 this morning. That's only one of three incidents of complete farang stupidity I've seen in the last two nights.

If the guy really assaulted him then punish the guy too but it does not mean the shooting is justified. I hate idiot Thais and foreigners that love to fight. Seems a trait for a certain class of people.

I'm not defending this horrific and cowardly act. I am stating that we farangs should be aware of the likely consequences of starting violence in this country.

Equally I'm not stating that we should be cowards and take everything that comes to us, but the story here is that the farang assaulted the Thai for harassing the lady in question.

If you are going to start punching out Thais then you better be on your toes for what's going to happen next. This story is a salutary lesson to that.

I'm not defending this horrific and cowardly act. I am stating that we farangs should be aware of the likely consequences of starting violence in this country.

Equally I'm not stating that we should be cowards and take everything that comes to us, but the story here is that the farang assaulted the Thai for harassing the lady in question.

If you are going to start punching out Thais then you better be on your toes for what's going to happen next. This story is a salutary lesson to that.

Are you for real???

What do you think the Thai guy is going to say? Whatever happened he obviously walked away from it, which is more than he intended for the people in the place when he let 5 rounds loose !!!

Shooting a restaurant in a drive by is attempted murder!!! No way it is anything else, he didn't care who he hit, he just hoped he got the guy that pissed him off, anything else was inconsequential !!! (didn't have the balls to walk in and face him and do the deed!!)

The gun was more than likely not licensed so it couldn't be traced that alone can carry a 10 year sentence, start locking these dicks up for hard time, have a look at what happens in Malaysia for possession of an illegal fire arm!!!

Hey, I am a gun advocate but this is getting out of hand and will not get better, don't the BIB realise that this will ultimately come back and bite them?

Oh sorry forgot,...where will my som tam come from tomorrow?

Are you for real???

What do you think the Thai guy is going to say? Whatever happened he obviously walked away from it, which is more than he intended for the people in the place when he let 5 rounds loose !!!

Shooting a restaurant in a drive by is attempted murder!!! No way it is anything else, he didn't care who he hit, he just hoped he got the guy that pissed him off, anything else was inconsequential !!! (didn't have the balls to walk in and face him and do the deed!!)

The gun was more than likely not licensed so it couldn't be traced that alone can carry a 10 year sentence, start locking these dicks up for hard time, have a look at what happens in Malaysia for possession of an illegal fire arm!!!

Hey, I am a gun advocate but this is getting out of hand and will not get better, don't the BIB realise that this will ultimately come back and bite them?

Oh sorry forgot,...where will my som tam come from tomorrow?

Are you a native English speaker? Your post is an absurd misinterpretation of what I said.

Loss of face = cultural defect.

Most Thai people are incapable of introspection, self analysis, self criticism, accepting blame, or accepting responsibility for mistakes, or shortcomings. I think this is the absolute truth. But, I do not think this is limited to women. It includes nearly all members of Thai society. It includes nearly every politician and person of power in this country. It is inherent within the Thai mentality. It is a tremendous shortcoming, and really holds this country back. I might go so far as to say it is the number one personality defect, or weakness of most Thai people. The whole concept of "face" is merely an excuse to avoid doing any of this. It is the greatest form of cowardice possible. No willingness to look within means you are half a person. You simply cannot be whole without the willingness to say I am sorry, I was wrong. I can do better. Is that not part of what it means to be a progressive human being? The fascinating thing with Thai pride, is that it does not extend to craftsmanship, or insistence on doing a job well. It is a superficial pride, that contains within it zero substance.

Well stated, and so accurate.

I second that and if I may add; In addition society teaches them they are superior to boot so on top of the psychological issues it maintains the dysfunction functioning while the vast majority are not aware dysfunction even exists because "skin whitening technology" can make everything better.

• Like 1

no one said the waitress was a farang, the boyfriend,'who is a foreigner'.

implying she was not, therefore she is Thai.

The Nation wrote:

Police investigation found that the suspect was drunk and had flirted with a foreigner waitress there, which upset her boyfriend who assaulted him, leading to the suspect's drive-by shooting.

Where did you read anything about punching?

When Thais get arrested they always make up a story that falang started the fight and they only protecting themselves.

Same story in the Bangkok shooting in some weeks ago, 1 dead and 2 injured foreigners, Thai man only protecting himself.

• Like 1

All aspects of Thai attitudes likely here, he probably would have opened fire if someone had flirted with his girlfriend and if she was at at fault he could have taken a page from a certain gentleman's book and re-arranged her face before considering defamation proceedings if she reported it.

I suppose he didn't have a large group of friends around to help take care of the foreigner so he went home to get his trusty " peacemaker ' and shot up a restaurant containing non-Thais.

Great material for TAT.

Crimes of passion are the most notorious in the world. Nothing at all is uniquely Thai about this incident. Your post is not only an example of aggressive ignorance but it also is malignant and revolting.

I said " Thai attitudes " nowhere is the word unique used except by you.

The suspect said he was flirting with the waitress at the restaurant but she rejected him and her boyfriend, who is a foreigner, later assaulted him.

A drunken Thai who was just arrested for shooting up a bar saying the foreigner "assaulted" him doesn't carry much weigh. "Assaulted" could be the foreigner stood up and told him to get lost, or simply walked him away.

Thais will make up any excuse to justify their violent actions, and it is usually because they are "protecting themselves." In reality, it is because this type of person is a coward with no thought process and are incapable of thinking anything through other than acting on a violent thought. Like it or not, they (as with many others) are not evolved enough yet to rationalize through a better thought process. Have a problem? Solve it with violence! That is the Thai way. It has been that way for a very, very long time. Their history is a prime example of just how violent they and their neighbors can be. Just as some parts of the Middle East still stone people to death, they too are not evolving at the same rate as the rest of the world. Thais are just slightly better than they are, but you had better believe if they could get away with public stoning, they would do it. The only question they would ask is, what colored shirt to wear.

• Like 1

Did the westerner actually assault him? We only have the Thai mutt's word and that's worthless.
No westerners would never assault a Thai and are always nice and polite to them. specially if they look like student nerds with glasses.

One of the op's only talks about a heated argument. Hardly an excuse to walk away, return with a gun and fire into a busy restaurant.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All aspects of Thai attitudes likely here, he probably would have opened fire if someone had flirted with his girlfriend and if she was at at fault he could have taken a page from a certain gentleman's book and re-arranged her face before considering defamation proceedings if she reported it.

I suppose he didn't have a large group of friends around to help take care of the foreigner so he went home to get his trusty " peacemaker ' and shot up a restaurant containing non-Thais.

Great material for TAT.

Crimes of passion are the most notorious in the world. Nothing at all is uniquely Thai about this incident. Your post is not only an example of aggressive ignorance but it also is malignant and revolting.

I said " Thai attitudes " nowhere is the word unique used except by you.

Good point! I knew it was just a matter of time before the Thaier-than-Thais appeared.

• Like 1

Great material for TAT.

Normally a crime of passion involves the two people in the relationship, or a serious intervention from a 3rd party having a relationship with one of the two.

Normally, flirting with someone's girlfriend for a few hours doesn't lead to shooting at anyone.

• Like 2

Collateral damage by creating another victim is the Thai way to save their face.

I wonder what nationality she is. Did anyone see if the press mentioned.

Burmese? Chinese? Russian? Lisu?

How exactly would a foreigner waitress be working in a Chiang Mai restaurant???

Last I heard, the government wasn't exactly handing out work permits to foreigners for waitress work.. whistling.gif

She might be from Lao, Cambodia, Malaysia, or Burma and no one would be suspicious that she was working illegally Very unlikely she was 'Farang'.

I never said nor suggested the waitress was a farang, which I agree would be pretty unlikely here.

But my point was, the "foreigner" lady most likely WAS working illegally... Should never have been there in the first place.

Can never find an Immigration cop when you need them... whistling.gif

Face?

I've never seen such a shameless culture.

Face is an excuse to go berserk over the smallest issue.

Try to go to China or Korea... You will be beaten up or killed for much less.

You might get into a fight in those places, but shootings, I.e. attempted murder over such petty issues is extremely unlikely.

• Like 1

The main real crime has been missed here. How did a mentally unstable person like this "student" get a gun. Who provided the gun? Why isn't the gun provider under investigation.

The plot thickens. Did the gun come from a police source? If it was a police issue gun I expect there will be no action against the officer who supplied the gun.

How many people in Thailand have illegal weapons and why are they not investigated as soon as it becomes known?

Very easy to get guns in Thailand. While at the police station the other day after an accident, the detective at the next desk was discussing a case with some other detectives. The guy from the evidence room came up and put a box on the detectives desk with about 10 handguns and maybe 30 magazines of what looked like .45 or 9 mm caliber bullets. The g/f overheard them saying how they pulled a guy over and this is what they found in his car.

• Like 1

The main real crime has been missed here. How did a mentally unstable person like this "student" get a gun. Who provided the gun? Why isn't the gun provider under investigation.

The plot thickens. Did the gun come from a police source? If it was a police issue gun I expect there will be no action against the officer who supplied the gun.

How many people in Thailand have illegal weapons and why are they not investigated as soon as it becomes known?

Very easy to get guns in Thailand. While at the police station the other day after an accident, the detective at the next desk was discussing a case with some other detectives. The guy from the evidence room came up and put a box on the detectives desk with about 10 handguns and maybe 30 magazines of what looked like .45 or 9 mm caliber bullets. The g/f overheard them saying how they pulled a guy over and this is what they found in his car.

I think Netizen has been somewhere else.

"Thailand has the highest gun murder rate in Asia, according to www.gunpolicy.org.

There were 5.3 murders by firearms per 100,000 people in Thailand in 2011, compared to 0.2 in the Philippines, the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime reported.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/21/us-thailand-guns-idUSBRE89K0GE20121021

This kind of situation is far too common here in Thailand (and likely other SE Asian countries) and I think it mostly comes down to the education system and parenting. Some things that are glaringly obvious in Thailand is the "no-fail" Thai school system, where children are moved on to the next grade regardless if they've made any effort to learn the material or not. In other words, there's really no need to worry about passing or failing because if you don't get a passing grade the exact same exam will be given to you as many times as it takes to pass. And with the careless attitude teachers have toward cheating and copying, students never feel pressure or learn to deal with failure and disappointed. Compound that with the constant indoctrination going on to convince Thai students that they are superior to all other people in the world, their perception of reality and their ability to develop emotionally are really screwed up. Thais, for the most part, are emotional nightmares because they never have to deal with handling stress, pressure, or disappointment while growing up, so inevitably when things don't go their way in adulthood, they have no method of rationalizing a situation in a mature and reasonable manner. They are taught that losing face is of utmost importance, so they are conditioned to react in cool manner UNTIL the valve pops and all rational goes out the window.

I remember reading a news story after I'd been in Thailand a short while about a young Thai man who shot and killed another young Thai man at a disco. When interviewed by the police, the assailant told them that he shot and killed the other man because he was dancing "arrogantly". OF course, I thought, WFT? And I assumed it was a a very isolated incident, and the perpetrator must be mentally ill. Unfortunately, I now know that this type of ridiculous overreaction is common.

As what I have been informed, the waitress was Thai and her boyfriend a farang foreign guy, who with his mates, went over board when he assaulted the customer who was trying to chat up his waitress girlfriend.

Women who work as waitresses should be well used to customers (guys) trying to chat them up, and many know how to deal with these situations sensibility and diplomatically.

The correct procedures in these cases, if staff experience any problems with customers that gets out of hand, is to call the boss or other members of staff to help deal with it, not some idiot who considers himself as a knight in shining taking the law into his own hands and using brute force. These methods and attitudes do not work in Thailand.

In my opinion, the waitress should be fired immediately and her heroic boyfriend banned from ever going near that place again, for reasons of taking such a heavy handed approach.

If the farang has concerns about customers trying it on with his girlfriend, than he shouldn’t let her work there, or find a new girlfriend, it`s that simple.

As what I have been informed, the waitress was Thai and her boyfriend a farang foreign guy, who with his mates, went over board when he assaulted the customer who was trying to chat up his waitress girlfriend.

Women who work as waitresses should be well used to customers (guys) trying to chat them up, and many know how to deal with these situations sensibility and diplomatically.

The correct procedures in these cases, if staff experience any problems with customers that gets out of hand, is to call the boss or other members of staff to help deal with it, not some idiot who considers himself as a knight in shining taking the law into his own hands and using brute force. These methods and attitudes do not work in Thailand.

In my opinion, the waitress should be fired immediately and her heroic boyfriend banned from ever going near that place again, for reasons of taking such a heavy handed approach.

If the farang has concerns about customers trying it on with his girlfriend, than he shouldn’t let her work there, or find a new girlfriend, it`s that simple.

I was privy once to watching an Icelandic power lifter getting a little familiar with a waitress in my local watering hole.

The girls boyfriend arrived on his motorcycle to pick her up, but went home because the bar wasn't ready to close. As he left, the Icelandic bloke who was enormous, flicked a piece of ice at the young Thai guy. He returned 15 minutes later with 10 of his mates with sticks and proceeded to chase the Icelandic bloke down the road for his life.

Getting stuck into a Thai bloke because he flirts with your girlfriend is never very well advised. If your girlfriend is a waitress, anywhere in the world, it is pretty much par for the course, that there will be blokes chatting her up. Always better to let the bar handle it.

That said, drunk people and guns don't mix, and a lot of Thai's carry guns around, that's the truth.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

You mean.... The Nation report was WRONG???? Really?

Police investigation found that the suspect was drunk and had flirted with a foreigner waitress there, which upset her boyfriend who assaulted him, leading to the suspect's drive-by shooting.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-06-23

You'd think the Thais (reporters, police, others) could kind of tell the difference...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

You mean.... The National report was WRONG???? Really?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-06-23

You'd think the Thais (reporters, police, others) could kind of tell the difference...

My source informed me that the report is subject to some corrections, so you can form your own opinions. Up to you.

Well i suppose if testosterone driven farangs didn't go around assaulting people in the first place, there would never had been any shooting.

Was that 1 or 3 foreigners that assaulted 1 thai man?

Its not like shootings are strictly limited to thailand, go to the US and its an everyday occurence.

So you are justifying that it is normal to take out a gun and shoot ?

And when Thai people attack somebody else are never in group? Or it is usually the contrary?

It does not matter where this happen, it should be punished heavily!!!

You are absolutely correct, all three of the foreigners should be held on assault charges.

In America it would be considered self defense, and since he walked back to his car and got his gun, it would be by reason of temporary insanity.

Edited by KRS1