Dentistry student held for shooting at tourists

Lite Beer

Well i suppose if testosterone driven farangs didn't go around assaulting people in the first place, there would never had been any shooting.

Was that 1 or 3 foreigners that assaulted 1 thai man?

Its not like shootings are strictly limited to thailand, go to the US and its an everyday occurence.

So you are justifying that it is normal to take out a gun and shoot ?

And when Thai people attack somebody else are never in group? Or it is usually the contrary?

It does not matter where this happen, it should be punished heavily!!!

You are absolutely correct, all three of the foreigners should be held on assault charges.

In America it would be considered self defense, and since he walked back to his car and got his gun, it would be by reason of temporary insanity.

Is this sarcasm?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So sad for Thailand Same same every day another random Thai shooting what is happening to the Land of Smiles.

Very much like dozens (if not hundreds) of other countries.

It is not so easy in hundreds of other countries for foreigners to provoke natives in similar disproportion to extreme violence like this. Thailand most certainly has both a violence problem (as many countries) as well as a racism (in-group/outgroup-ism) problem.

Also, the fact is irrelevant to many here as we are not in or Sudan, Iran or North Korea. Rather, we are in Thailand.

Edited by PaullyW

Police said Mr Don confessed that he fired five shots from a 9mm handgun in a busy restaurant on Nimanhemin Road at about midnight.

How one can get gun very easily? There is no gun control in Thailand?

40,000 to 100,000 will sort it.

Roughly the same for a hired gun.

Very sad.

One has to learn values and learn to keep patience.

A strong gun control law will control this kind of so called CHUCK NORRIS.

Most Thai people are incapable of introspection, self analysis, self criticism, accepting blame, or accepting responsibility for mistakes, or shortcomings. I think this is the absolute truth. But, I do not think this is limited to women. It includes nearly all members of Thai society. It includes nearly every politician and person of power in this country. It is inherent within the Thai mentality. It is a tremendous shortcoming, and really holds this country back. I might go so far as to say it is the number one personality defect, or weakness of most Thai people. The whole concept of "face" is merely an excuse to avoid doing any of this. It is the greatest form of cowardice possible. No willingness to look within means you are half a person. You simply cannot be whole without the willingness to say I am sorry, I was wrong. I can do better. Is that not part of what it means to be a progressive human being? The fascinating thing with Thai pride, is that it does not extend to craftsmanship, or insistence on doing a job well. It is a superficial pride, that contains within it zero substance.

And you and the many others who "like" your comment and thus I assume agree to your "absolute truth" continue to live in the Kingdom for what reason now? I assume the truth of the availability of a cheap blow job trumps all other imagined truths. Oh well, I don't agree with your formulation of an absolute truth regarding Thais, but then again I don't agree with the western predilection of assuming the presence of an invisible man in the sky as being an absolute truth.

What really happened, from the friend who was with Nic the entire time of the incident. I won't name the friend as he is not named in any of the other 'reports' The incident was related to all at our ball hockey game tonight. The media storey differs greatly and some othe posts on this thread have incorrect information.

Nic, friend, and his girtlfriend were all customers at the bar, his girlfriend does not work there. The Thai shooter was extremely drunk, belligerent and bothering everyone in the place and was particularly bothering the women as well as groping and grabbing them. After being overly aggressive with a waitress the Thai staff and other Thai customers set upon the guy, some with clubs, and gave the guy a good going over. Nic and friend helped the guy up and out of the place and got him too his car. A few minutes later he returned and opened fire, apparently at random. Not clear if he fired from inside or outside of his car.

At no time after his arrest was the shooter put into handcuffs or into a jail cell. He is now free on 500,000B bail. His father is apparently very wealthy and is covering medical and other costs. Nic took a bullet to the upper body, puncturing and collapsing a lung. There is a bone fragment lodged in his spine and he has no feeling in his lower body. Otherwise he is reported as stable.

There are now considerations of securing a lawyer and if anyone has a recommendation do so through the Chiang Mai Highlanders Facebook page or through the UN Pub.

So why the erroneous report in the media? Trying to reflect badly on the foreigner who is the victim and portray the alleged shooter as the victim? And why is the accused shooter treated so softly by police? Yes this will all go away with money.

In a non related incident the same evening. Two of our other played were beaten by a pool cue weilding gang of cowardly thugs while just quietly playing pool in a local bar. They think it was a case of mistaken identity and got away with just bruises. Not reported to police or in the media, Really, why bother?

Nice place here isn't it?

• Like 2

So once again does anyone know where all these guns are coming from? Why does t seem that it is so easy for Thais to obtain hand guns? Can't it be shut down at the source?

I was able to discuss this issue with a Thai youth

Basically there is a gun culture amongst a large percentage of Thais.

Chatting on Thai Visa will not change this.

His aquaintence owns a .38 Special with repeat fire capability.

He indicated that ammunition and magazines can be purchased from the police for a price.

I will not name the town.

Apparently engineering students have the capability to manufacture parts of a gun and build their own. This is one of many sources.

In my short time on the subject I'm learning that guns are part of the social fabric of this country, just as the NRA and guns have a permanent grip on the U.S.

Basically l can't see them being eliminated from either country ever.

Mix them with alcohol, and in a country of 65 million, you are bound to have incidents occurring.

Edited by rockyysdt

What really happened, from the friend who was with Nic the entire time of the incident. I won't name the friend as he is not named in any of the other 'reports' The incident was related to all at our ball hockey game tonight. The media storey differs greatly and some othe posts on this thread have incorrect information.

Nic, friend, and his girtlfriend were all customers at the bar, his girlfriend does not work there. The Thai shooter was extremely drunk, belligerent and bothering everyone in the place and was particularly bothering the women as well as groping and grabbing them. After being overly aggressive with a waitress the Thai staff and other Thai customers set upon the guy, some with clubs, and gave the guy a good going over. Nic and friend helped the guy up and out of the place and got him too his car. A few minutes later he returned and opened fire, apparently at random. Not clear if he fired from inside or outside of his car.

At no time after his arrest was the shooter put into handcuffs or into a jail cell. He is now free on 500,000B bail. His father is apparently very wealthy and is covering medical and other costs. Nic took a bullet to the upper body, puncturing and collapsing a lung. There is a bone fragment lodged in his spine and he has no feeling in his lower body. Otherwise he is reported as stable.

There are now considerations of securing a lawyer and if anyone has a recommendation do so through the Chiang Mai Highlanders Facebook page or through the UN Pub.

So why the erroneous report in the media? Trying to reflect badly on the foreigner who is the victim and portray the alleged shooter as the victim? And why is the accused shooter treated so softly by police? Yes this will all go away with money.

In a non related incident the same evening. Two of our other played were beaten by a pool cue weilding gang of cowardly thugs while just quietly playing pool in a local bar. They think it was a case of mistaken identity and got away with just bruises. Not reported to police or in the media, Really, why bother?

My account of the story is from another source, but of course I wasn`t there.

Now appears we have 3 different versions, so take your pick?

Whatever are the actual events of this case, this restaurant sounds like a real rough dive and definitely a place to avoid.

I`ll stick with the good old Dukes, Olde Belle and other safe respectable establishments and that`s my advice to everyone.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Wow, that is radically different from the official version.....

Wonder which one is correct. Guess if the shooter's dad is really rich, the press/police version would imply the shooter as a victim of evil drunken farangs, who got a little payback.

The stories posted here on TV are either poorly reported, or so full of inaccuracies that commenting on them is almost a waste of time. And of course no follow up, that is a no no in Thai reporting . In this case , I suspect the only parties that actually know what happened were in the pub at the time.

The rest of us will never know.

Beetlejuice:

"I`ll stick with the good old Dukes, Olde Belle and other safe respectable establishments and that`s my advice to everyone."

Fantastic food, and the only conflicts there are started by the owner... :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

Your summary of the events makes a lot more sense to me than all the other reports. The shooter was apparently afraid to go back into the bar, which he wouldn't have been if the dispute had been just between him and one or two "farangs". So he chose to empty his gun into the bar from his car, ready for a hasty retreat.

Unfortunately the ever growing reluctance of Thai courts to hand down harsh sentences to "hiso" culprits will most probably let this guy walk away with a slap on the wrist - if he doesn't go on an extended stay abroad to finish his "studies" or the trial is continuously postponed "ad infinitum".

The "cocky farang" excuse seems to stand on shaky ground now.

Edited by MikeOboe57

Judging from the total inaccuracy of the press reports so far, deliberate or otherwise, I would now be surprised if he is indeed a dentistry student. More likely wealthy family, will never and probably could never work, layabout, good-for-nothing son.

As what I have been informed, the waitress was Thai and her boyfriend a farang foreign guy, who with his mates, went over board when he assaulted the customer who was trying to chat up his waitress girlfriend.

Women who work as waitresses should be well used to customers (guys) trying to chat them up, and many know how to deal with these situations sensibility and diplomatically.

The correct procedures in these cases, if staff experience any problems with customers that gets out of hand, is to call the boss or other members of staff to help deal with it, not some idiot who considers himself as a knight in shining taking the law into his own hands and using brute force. These methods and attitudes do not work in Thailand.

In my opinion, the waitress should be fired immediately and her heroic boyfriend banned from ever going near that place again, for reasons of taking such a heavy handed approach.

If the farang has concerns about customers trying it on with his girlfriend, than he shouldn’t let her work there, or find a new girlfriend, it`s that simple.

You'd have to have serious insecurity issues if you felt threatened by this guy chatting up your girlfriend.

...or you are one seriously ugly dude if you think this guy has a shot.

Most Thai people are incapable of introspection, self analysis, self criticism, accepting blame, or accepting responsibility for mistakes, or shortcomings. I think this is the absolute truth. But, I do not think this is limited to women. It includes nearly all members of Thai society. It includes nearly every politician and person of power in this country. It is inherent within the Thai mentality. It is a tremendous shortcoming, and really holds this country back. I might go so far as to say it is the number one personality defect, or weakness of most Thai people. The whole concept of "face" is merely an excuse to avoid doing any of this. It is the greatest form of cowardice possible. No willingness to look within means you are half a person. You simply cannot be whole without the willingness to say I am sorry, I was wrong. I can do better. Is that not part of what it means to be a progressive human being? The fascinating thing with Thai pride, is that it does not extend to craftsmanship, or insistence on doing a job well. It is a superficial pride, that contains within it zero substance.

And you and the many others who "like" your comment and thus I assume agree to your "absolute truth" continue to live in the Kingdom for what reason now? I assume the truth of the availability of a cheap blow job trumps all other imagined truths. Oh well, I don't agree with your formulation of an absolute truth regarding Thais, but then again I don't agree with the western predilection of assuming the presence of an invisible man in the sky as being an absolute truth.

Alot of assumptions on your part. I happen to love the Thai people. There are a hundred reasons I live here, other than your BJ assumption. Does that mean I cannot vent? Does that mean I am obligated to accept everything at face value? Does that mean I am forbidden to be critical? Is that not a fascist, or otherwise narrow view of things? So I am criticizing pride, and face. Does that automatically assume that I do not like it here? Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities. It is obvious by all the people who "liked" my post, that I touched a nerve. I assume I am not the only one put off by these weaknesses. We all have them. I am simply pointing out two of them.

• Like 1

Beetlejuice:

"I`ll stick with the good old Dukes, Olde Belle and other safe respectable establishments and that`s my advice to everyone."

Been to Dukes many times, never seen a problem.

Beetlejuice:

Been to Dukes many times, never seen a problem.

yet ? tit

• Like 1

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Completely bizarre......So the THAI STAFF beat the crap out of this guy, Nic the farang steps in to help him, and then he get shot for his trouble. And the media spins it as the farangs beating up a Thai guy so his shooting of them was somewhat justified.. TAT will never be able to get rid of their tag line " Amazing Thailand" for the people who live here........ :-)

Note to self : When I see a bunch of Thai guys putting the boot to another Thai person, just walk away.......

• Like 2

You'd have to have serious insecurity issues if you felt threatened by this guy chatting up your girlfriend.

...or you are one seriously ugly dude if you think this guy has a shot.

Have you seen his photo?

post-35489-0-79982100-1372313624_thumb.j

• Like 1

After hearing what really happened here, I would like to add my wishes for the recovery of Nic, poor guy.

I would also like to add my wishes that this pu$$y Thai POS falls off a motrobike one day and breaks his spine.

Thanks - to Nic's family, you will not find the justice you are used to in the West in Thailand. However, with the right approach, you may get paid off handsomely. Go for this. You can then do whatever you like with the money, keep it for Nic's benefit in the future.

Danot received support at the police station from a group including students from the medical faculty (at the still unnamed university in Chiang Mai), professor(s) from the medical faculty and guardian(s) (Thai is unclear here - this can mean both a parent or a university employee in some kind of pastoral position) who guaranteed and took responsibility for the accused (sounds like they got him out of there).

That was 4 days ago. Then all quiet.

One handsome feller!

Maybe he was having a bad hair day...when they took his photo... tongue.png

That's the fashion now, K-Pop style.

Part of the "korean fascination syndrome" They have white skin so they must be OK.