Koh Samui to tackle tourism problems

TOURISM
Suwannee Banthisak
The Nation

SAMUI: -- Rental motorcycle, traffic congestion, fake alcohol products, migrant labours and local mafia are highlighted as the most urgent issues for Koh Samui and Koh Phangan, if the island destinations are to restore tourist confidence.

Surat Thani Deputy Governor Chalorsak Vanitchareon said after a brainstorming session with people in the industry in the two famous islands that the issues would be discussed at the provincial level.

After the discussion on June 24 at the City Hall, new rules and regulations would be enforced, he said.

"We need an integrated measure to tackle tourism problems in Koh Samui and Koh Phangan," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-23

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samui has massive problems, traffic is sure a major contributing factor around business centers & built up areas of the ring road, scams well where do we start.

• Like 1

Yet small vessels will still head to the full moon party tonight in these high winds...

Yet small vessels will still head to the full moon party tonight in these high winds...

money number one! Mind you, you would think that potential passengers might take a look at the rough seas and decide for themselves. No ones forcing them to make the trip over there

• Like 1

Another so called meeting to tackle samui problems. Must be more like a meeting to go eat som tom

By the way If i am not mistaken in thailand there have been lots of talk to fix or change things buy never any action taken afterwards.

Just another day tit >_>

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I'd like to add a few Samui problems, BIB and their tea money, jet ski scams, pharmacy's without a REAL pharmacist, the STINKING water spewing out on the corner road at Chaweng, dishonest taxi drivers, and idiots that don't stop for the red traffic lights, etc,etc,etc,

compared to what's going on in other 3rd world tourist hot spots, Egypt, Maldives, Jamaica, Goa, Kenya, South Africa, Brazil, Tunesia, Bali....rather harmless.

Harmless ? Harmless !! You need to get out more. I have lived ,holidayed, worked or at least visited every country you have listed

over the past 35 years and with the exception of parts of Kenya I fail to see any validation for your comments.

Understand this , people come to visit or live here for a variety of reasdons which do not include , tranquility, stability, law abiding, moral or social awareness and good governance.

I'd like to add a few Samui problems, BIB and their tea money, jet ski scams, pharmacy's without a REAL pharmacist, the STINKING water spewing out on the corner road at Chaweng, dishonest taxi drivers, and idiots that don't stop for the red traffic lights, etc,etc,etc,

compared to what's going on in other 3rd world tourist hot spots, Egypt, Maldives, Jamaica, Goa, Kenya, South Africa, Brazil, Tunesia, Bali....rather harmless.

well that makes me a whole lot better about living here thenrolleyes.gif

maybe Halion is right, all I can say, that in the almost 25 years I live on Samui there were no bombs, no hijacked tourists, no epidemics, no climate extremities, no religious restrictive measures, no no go zones, no political extremism any direction, no gangs or groups of people threatening in the sense of African, South American warlords and rebel groups, no smog except once from Sumatra etc etc etc....nothing, nothing at all

• Like 1

maybe Halion is right, all I can say, that in the almost 25 years I live on Samui there were no bombs, no hijacked tourists, no epidemics, no climate extremities, no religious restrictive measures, no no go zones, no political extremism any direction, no gangs or groups of people threatening in the sense of African, South American warlords and rebel groups, no smog except once from Sumatra etc etc etc....nothing, nothing at all

True but there have been endless shootings, thugs strutting around carrying weapons knowing full well they are above the "law", obscenely highly high numbers of road accidents, almost total lawlessness, pollution, untreated, being pumped straight into the water on our shores, mass corruption, exorbitant air fares, burglaries galore, nearly all unsolved, garbage dumped all over the place and left for months.

I could go on but i think you get the drift. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on some things, eg: you say "no gangs", the BIB are by far the nastiest gangs out there, gangs of ladyboys thieves, "no climate extremities", Samui was badly flooded just a few years ago, But I still like it here.

TOURISM

Suwannee Banthisak

The Nation

SAMUI: -- Rental motorcycle, traffic congestion, fake alcohol products, migrant labours and local mafia are highlighted as the most urgent issues for Koh Samui and Koh Phangan, if the island destinations are to restore tourist confidence.

Not really sure what the migrant labours have to do with tourism problems, but they ought to add electric supply and refuse collection to their list, and judging by the reservoir just down the road from me water supply (can’t remember seeing it that low before).

Might not be a bad idea to try and do something about the stray soi dogs as well. I met a tourist on Friday who had been on the beach having a stroll and a dog came out of nowhere and bit him on the leg...he now has to have a course of injections over the next few days...not nice.

As for tourists on rental bikes...where to start??? w00t.gif

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on some things, eg: you say "no gangs", the BIB are by far the nastiest gangs out there, gangs of ladyboys thieves, "no climate extremities", Samui was badly flooded just a few years ago, But I still like it here.

I have not once had anything to do with ladyboys in my entire life. BIB can't remember, sure checked me sometimes in my car on the streets, like everyone, but nothing negative too.

Climate extremities for me is weather in which peoples lives are in danger, like Tsunamis, hurricanes, extreme droughts, blizzards etc etc. If parts of Samui were a few years for a week or so flooded, that's nothing. Ok, not nothing, better never flooded. I agree. There are things which can be improved. Alright.

Does not sound like problems tourits experience.

Would rather think obverpriced rude taxis driving without meter is a major tourist problem, giving Samui a bad reputation. However nothing like the reputation Phuket have.

Electric power supply (which is already improving a lot), garbage (not that bad, but in some places) and fixing more of the roads – including change of the wrong rainwater darin construction at some places like Bophut – may be other areas not only to look at, but do something about.

Another so called meeting to tackle samui problems. Must be more like a meeting to go eat som tom

By the way If i am not mistaken in thailand there have been lots of talk to fix or change things buy never any action taken afterwards.

Just another day tit >_>

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But the meeting notes help make up a tidy little report to TAT and the governor, thereby getting them off their backs until some journalist uncovers another can of worms.
  • Like 1

I have not once had anything to do with ladyboys in my entire life. BIB can't remember, sure checked me sometimes in my car on the streets, like everyone, but nothing negative too.

Climate extremities for me is weather in which peoples lives are in danger, like Tsunamis, hurricanes, extreme droughts, blizzards etc etc. If parts of Samui were a few years for a week or so flooded, that's nothing. Ok, not nothing, better never flooded. I agree. There are things which can be improved. Alright.

Agreed, but I still love the place to bits, but subject to review in 2 years time. If it ends up anything like Phuket...........I am off like the preverbial off a shovel!!biggrin.png