Tookays (big Geckos)

girlx

I just found this quote from a BBC web page...

Tokay geckos are commonly offered as pets - but their fierce bite makes them a potentially painful companion. Most captive Tokay have been wild caught.

I have a couple of large ones in the house and garden...one used to watch TV with me. I will remember not to put my finger in his mouth next time he calls in. I'm still delighted to have him about though. (or is it "HER"?)

I've been told that if a gecko (any kind) drops on the floor in front of you that it is considered a very bad omen...and some people won't leave the house for a day if that happens.

Wildlife in Thailand is under pressure from all sides; fear food fast bucks and animal cruelty mean that nature in Thailand is on the retreat...please do your bit and don't interfere with this critter. he's ridding your house of insects and mice etc, so he's doing you a favor, please don't repay him by killing him!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We also have several in and around the house. My wife likes them for a different reason. They keep the smaller jingjoks away and their crap (turds) are bigger so easier to clean up. :D

As far as I am concerned anything that eats insects is OK with me. We had a very large huntsman spider in the house. He lived under the washing machine and sometimes I would see him on the wall. One day I noticed a tookgae near the washing machine. The next day the huntsman was on the wall but was missing a front leg. Since that day I have never seen the spider again. I'm not sure but I think the Tookgae ate him. :o

Edited by Gary A

I would suggest a relocation programme rather that a demise. They seem to be getting fewer in numbers these days, which is all too sad. I can remember hearing them nearly everywhere I went, but sadly I havn't heard one in probably the best part of a year. Sign of the times? :o

seems to be mixed messages here around whether they are dangerous or not. in my village the thais make no bones about killing them straight away because they bite. i don't want to kill him and actually like his singing, but i don't want him to crawl on me in my sleep or bite me if i am fumbling for a light switch in the dark or something. he's pretty big! i will try to scare him away but if he doesn't stay away i guess i'll have to make my peace.

re: eating the littler geckos, i hope not! i love them! my friend found lots of little gecko eggs behind my cupboard and put them in a cup with a tissue... they are starting to hatch into little gecko-lings! they are really cute.

seems to be mixed messages here around whether they are dangerous or not. in my village the thais make no bones about killing them straight away because they bite. i don't want to kill him and actually like his singing, but i don't want him to crawl on me in my sleep or bite me if i am fumbling for a light switch in the dark or something. he's pretty big! i will try to scare him away but if he doesn't stay away i guess i'll have to make my peace.

re: eating the littler geckos, i hope not! i love them! my friend found lots of little gecko eggs behind my cupboard and put them in a cup with a tissue... they are starting to hatch into little gecko-lings! they are really cute.

They'll eat anything....insects, baby mice and yes...little geckos.

One of the little ones tried to attack my toe the other day....shows you they aren't put off by size!

We also have several in and around the house. My wife likes them for a different reason. They keep the smaller jingjoks away and their crap (turds) are bigger so easier to clean up. :D

If I remember correctly, Northern Thai people use to Bar-b-que Jingjok and feed to people coping with anemia as a cure :o Who knows if it worked or not, might be one of those natural cures!

My wife's house is on two rai of land. The local kids would come around with their slingshots and kill every lizard they saw. I wasn't happy at all so I told my wife to offer them 5 baht for every HEALTHY lizard they brought me. She told them and they told her that old man someone ? was giving them 10 baht for the larger ones. He claimed he needed to eat them to maintain his sex life. Since then I have put a two meter high block wall around the entire property. The lizard population seems pretty healthy now. I never knew there were so many different kinds.

I have a lot of experience with all kinds of lizards. Almost all lizards, including the Tokay are afraid of humans, and will avoid being caught. Most smaller lizards are calm if caught as they realize trying to fight with a human is futile. The Tokays are different. They do have a nasty disposition if caught, and don't really make good pets unless you get them as a baby and train them to be gentle around humans. I've caught Tokays several times (at the request of frightened females), and everytime they bit me. However, I always caught them using gloves or some thick piece of cloth, and the bite never punctured the material. I just took them outside and let them go somewhere far from the house and the ladies were very pleased with the relocation of the Tokay. I've only met women and children who were afraid of Tokays. If you're afraid of them, I doubt you'd be able to catch them yourself. Even for someone with a lot of experience it's very difficult to catch a Tokay as they are experts at climbing walls and ceilings and can easily escape unless you can somehow corner them. Most people (males) I've spoken to consider them good luck and want them in their homes. I've never ever seen a Tokay that was agressive enough to attack a human. They will always run away or remain motionless and only bite if you catch them or put your hand very close to them. It can be a little unnerving to some to have the Tokays on the prowl around your bedroom at night, and it is those ones in the bedroom that the ladies often request to have removed. Anyplace else in the house, I'd just leave them alone and let them eat the unwanted insects and pests. Personally I find Tokays to be one of the most beautiful of all lizards. Whenever I see one I often just sit for a while and look at it and admire it's beauty and design.

Let me put it another way. I have lived here for 17 years and have had Toukays in my house for that entire time. I have never been bitten by one, neither has my husband or anyone else I know that has left the animal in peace. I have never had one run over the top of me in my sleep(they aren't rats you know). They will run away as soon as you come near them, they only get aggressive when cornered and unable to escape. So, in 17 years of sleeping in a room with a toukay I have never even touched one, not even when turning on the light.

The Thai people who kill these things are doing from a fear instilled in them from childhood.

Relax. You leave him alone, he'll leave you alone.

Let me put it another way. I have lived here for 17 years and have had Toukays in my house for that entire time. I have never been bitten by one, neither has my husband or anyone else I know that has left the animal in peace. I have never had one run over the top of me in my sleep(they aren't rats you know). They will run away as soon as you come near them, they only get aggressive when cornered and unable to escape. So, in 17 years of sleeping in a room with a toukay I have never even touched one, not even when turning on the light.

I've slept in many places with Tokays in the room and have often had them come very close to me, within inches of my head, but never touch me while sleeping. I've never seen them crawl around on the bed either. They keep almost exclusively to walls and ceilings and the only time I'd imagine they'd ever touch you while sleeping was if they accidentally fell on you. One night I did have one on the ceiling right above the bed that decided to urinate. I thought at first it was raining and there was a leak in the roof until I turned the light on and saw those big eyes staring at me. I've had them run across my feet when I've startled them and they make a mad dash across the floor, but other than that no contact ever unless it's been initiated by me.

There is world of difference between the large Tookay (25-30cm) and the little Geeko (2-5cm).

The little ones are good and eat insects.

The big ones do not run over you in the night.........

They make a right royal din, and leave shit everywere as the OP mentioned.

You need someone brave to catch the Tookay. -- They DO bite!!

Then you can eat it. :o

Edited by astral

Though they are not lovely but they are not dangerous at all.

Because they don't have any teeth.

Probably a big cat could be of any help.

A detailed description of the tookay and both indicate they do have teeth.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ic=14411&st=28#

And a persons first hand (pun) experience:

http://cookasiatrip.homestead.com/dcgecko.html

Edited by tywais

Any idea how many babies geckos get each time? We have dozens crawling all over the place and they seem to multiply by the day. Not that I mind though, I'd much rather have 100 geckos than 1 mosquito. Except when the bedroom-resident gecko wakes me up singing in the middle of the night, almost giving me a heart attack! :o

We had a family of 7 or so living in a speaker above our last bar. They all started to come out, Daddy first, and head up into the roof at sunset. More than once one of them SHAT on a guest!!!! In the hair or even in their drink!!! My head too!!!!! And my husband was peed on regulary. It was a real laugh for guests!!!!

Those Tookeys were photographed from travellers from all over the world :o

We have had a Tookay renaissance in the last year or so. I don't recall hearing a tookay cry the first 9 years we lived here, but starting several years ago they became quite common. I don't think they pose any danger unless you try to catch one, and even then it is not like you are going to die or lose a digit. I did remove one from the front door using a kitchen mitt. It made a menacing face and threatening gestures with its mouth, the inside of which was black! I took my daughters out to the side of the house to observe one during the day. They are quite shy and any sudden movement will cause them to flee. At least that is the case with our tookays! Must side with those who have found many Thais afraid of them--that's my experience.

These are the little buggers that join in the nightly song of crickets frogs ect in the heat of the night. then just when you cant take any more this thing chirps in with "<deleted>~k you <deleted>~k you" you listen next time , i'm sure its taking the piss!

I'm still delighted to have him about though. (or is it "HER"?)

The more beautiful (in animal life) the more chance it's a 'HIM/MALE' :D

In real life it's the opposite :o

LaoPo

I'm sorry but I HAVE to disagree. They say TOOK GAE. They don't bother anything. A local cat used to come and kill the lizards but they now have a problem with my Golden Retriever. He doesn't bother the lizards but he has no use for cats. The cats no longer come around. LOL!

i seem to have a huge tookay living in my roof- it scares the crap out of me every now and then when i walk into the kitchen and see it scrambling up the wall. i have heard these are aggressive and thais seem to be scared of them, which makes me scared of them. how to get rid of them?

here's mine:

mar_tookay.jpg

If he is in your roof then it will only go when it's good and ready which maybe never. The noise can be irritating sometimes but at least it let's you know it is there. I have had one visiting my tool shed for a few years now - when I want it out I leave the doors open so I can at least get my tools when I need them but it always comes back when the doors are closed again.

They like dark places during the day so a few skylights might help! Failing that put up with it or contract a Tookay hunter from Isaan :o

I have one up in the eaves of the house and though I have heard him/her/it for a while now, last night I saw it. About 250mm long and probably 50mm around the middle.

We had a couple before but my wife is scared of them and had them killed so I have to persuade her to leave this one alone.

I dunno what Thais you've been talking to, but most Thai people that I know are scared of Tookays!! (I actually think they are quite cute,) Just look at Thai horror films, they often have a couple of Tookays in to increase the tension, if your in the cinema just listen to all the crowd when one appears!! (eg "tookay pii" "narok" etc)

I'm sorry but I HAVE to disagree. They say TOOK GAE. They don't bother anything. A local cat used to come and kill the lizards but they now have a problem with my Golden Retriever. He doesn't bother the lizards but he has no use for cats. The cats no longer come around. LOL!

The ones pictured here may say "TOOK GAE" but there is indeed another, off white and large type that is really ugly and looks like a mini dinosaur that most surly does sound like he learned English on the wrong side of the tracks.

Just knowing they eat those horrible centipedes is good enough reason to leave them be.

We had a couple live in the house but a snake took up residence in the roof of the bathroom a couple of months ago and the tookay left/got eaten. A couple of weeks ago I found the cats chasing a large red centipede up the fly-wire door.....need the tookays back!!

And at least the tookays shit are big and easy to clean, but the jing-joks are small and numerous.

My wife says having a tookay in the house is good luck.

The ones pictured here may say "TOOK GAE" but there is indeed another, off white and large type that is really ugly and looks like a mini dinosaur that most surly does sound like he learned English on the wrong side of the tracks.

Do they habitually wear singlets and are commonly sighted on Koh Samui? I think the usual cry of that varity is "'laa-gerr!", "laa-gerr!". :o

To answer the original question you can kill them by spraying them with termite killer, the type of tin that has a little metal tube.

A good long spray will drop them then 5 minutes later they are dead. :o

I hate the things they cr-p every where and are noisy :D

I would not have any vermin living in my house with my family.