New source for Kindles, etc.

WaywardWind

There have been queries in the past about a source for Kindles, etc.

I have been looking to get a kindle for my wife, and stumbled across a site in Bangkok (http://www.thaiexcite.com/Kindle-eBook-Readers/) which has the whole range, as well as other eReaders, MP3 players, etc.

In costing it out, the Kindle Paperwhite that I bought for 5690 THB comes in just about the same as buying from Amazon US and shipping it over; I think that it might actually be cheaper than sourcing one from Amazon UK.

Free overnight EMS shipping as well. Credit card through PayPal or bank transfer for payment.

I found the owner very responsive to communications, and he shipped as promised.

• Like 1

Interesting that the one for 5690 is a refurbished unit and a discontinues model and is a Kindle touch not a paperwhite.

A new paperwhite one is 7790 and that is the one with ads.

Guarantee etc may be a problem too.

One thing about getting it direct from Amazon is their stellar customer service. I dropped mine and broke it (out of warranty). They exchanged it for for a new one for half price and supplied free shipping, including giving me a credit for the shipping cost of returning the old one from Thailand. If it didn't cost much more to go direct to Amazon, that would be a good move.

Of course, I had my original Kindle shipped to my sister in the US and she shipped it on in a padded mailer. Cheap shipping (padded mailer, USPS First Class -- NOT Priority Mail) and no import duty or other tax. that is REALLY the way to go.

Bought the 3g paperwhite model a few days ago in the US $179 +tax +,$20 rebate from Staples. Its good,easy to use ,but I like the basic kindle after using it for a couple of days,cannot get used to the swipe screen

The 3g is definitely the one to go for,no wi fi hot spots ,picks u the 3g signal anywhere

I sat on mine once and when I rang up Amazon they sent another one for free, I'm supposed the send the old one back but the UPS agent (Mailboxes etc in Big C) won't accept Amazon's account and insisted on charging me.

Amazon Customer Service is excellent, only trouble is that for some things you can't just email them, but you have to ring them up, depends on which call centre you get put through, the accent and call quality makes it hard to understand them a bit.

Having someone on the ground that is willing to handle warranty for you would be a plus.

Also I got charged the 'electronics' tax rate for accessories like the lighted covers for the older non-paper white Kindle when I ordered from Amazon, so if these guys are bringing them in themselves in suitcases, they should be able to offer them for much cheaper

or dont.

just for informational purposes, Mr Bell, above, has thoughtfully provided us with links to 3 heady tomes he himself has authored.

They are composed primarily of Thailand cliches, but hopefully rewritten in such a way as to render them "fresh" and "different".

Edited by joeaverage

Interesting that the one for 5690 is a refurbished unit and a discontinues model and is a Kindle touch not a paperwhite.

Not so...the one I bought was a Kindle Paperwhite, new, WiFi, without ads: http://www.thaiexcite.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-WiFi-No-Advertisement-.html. A screen protector and the power adapter, which aren't included from Amazon, were part of the package as well.

Edited by WaywardWind

I went and checked on your second issue, that of the guarantee, and found that ThaiExcite has adopted the same one year warranty as Amazon offers: http://www.thaiexcite.com/warranty.html.

or dont.

just for informational purposes, Mr Bell, above, has thoughtfully provided us with links to 3 heady tomes he himself has authored.

They are composed primarily of Thailand cliches, but hopefully rewritten in such a way as to render them "fresh" and "different".

Dear Joe,

I am interested in how you know my books are Thai clicheed. If you have bought them and found them so, thank you very much for your contribution towards my pension. If you have not read them I urge you to do so. The Thai Tales have been serialised in a Pattaya monthly which I dare n't name. The humorous Bellwether articles have appeared in three local publications to acclaim - at least to my face.

The third tome is the subject of two publication offers by London firms.

Dear Everyone else,

if Mr Average has piqued your curiosity, you can find the titles on Amazon listed under my OWN name.