Cockroach

jbrain

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still use old-fashioned Baygon. Some roaches keep running after one load. I‘ll let them run. All of them die, it just takes longer for some.

When emptying half a can you should consider that these pesticides are also dangerous to humans (especially those not grown up yet) and pets.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I understand your concern for the health of children, but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide.

hahahahahaha! really?

Well that is what wiki tells me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifenthrin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypermethrin

Keep the house clinically clean always and draw a chalk line around the house.

That should stop em!

If you do catch any, don't execute them!

Keep them in a special box ready for market day.

Stick five on a kebab stick and cover in soy sauce - 30 baht

Everyone's a winner

CCC

I found this thread because I am curious about the poisons used by Thais. I'm new to my place and what I've noticed here and at my last place, is I see the occasional dead roach but not many alive. It's like when they pass through the threshold, they've signed their death warrant. What is the typical roach killer used here?

I still use old-fashioned Baygon. Some roaches keep running after one load. I‘ll let them run. All of them die, it just takes longer for some.When emptying half a can you should consider that these pesticides are also dangerous to humans (especially those not grown up yet) and pets.Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I understand your concern for the health of children, but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide. Regarding the roach, I know they don't die instantly but normally they move at a slow pace and the first obstruction they meet they will turn on their back, but this one was a racer where Michael Johnson would have been jealous about.
"but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide." With all due respect, I think that is putting a lot of blind trust in others for your safety. History is littered with so many cases of products, services that were released, sold to the public and thought to be safe and where people took it for granted it was safe, and it later turned out not to be. Insecticide especially is toxic, by the very nature that it is intended to kill something living. And just because it is sold widely does not mean that it is safe to spray with little concern all around the house. I would not trust in any country, but especially Thailand. Maybe diverting the subject a tad, but in Thailand, one has really alter their thinking greatly. Coming from other countries that have better safety standards, less corruption, many of us take for granted that services, products, places, just living, that there will be some level of safety and we put a level of trust in that and dont think about safety. e.g. we dont think twice when eating food bought from the supermarket or restaurant, or using an appliance without getting electrocuted, or dont look both ways, when starting out from a green light, as we assume those that have the red will stop, and countless other everyday acts that we do without thinking, that implicitly assume some level of trust and lack of concern for our own safety and well being. But, in countries like Thailand, there really has to be a mindset that there is less regulation or enforcement of regulations, more corruption, and that leads to a less safe environment and therefore it behooves us to take a more active role in guarding our own safety. One only has to read Thai Visa for awhile and you will see case after case of things to watch out for. e.g. we should drive much more defensively in Thailand, since greater chance other drivers will not follow the rules. Or we should be much more careful in products we buy or use, or not assume that a service will be of a certain standard, and not assume they will be safe. Of course, there are many things one cant guard against, no matter how careful we are, but there still should be a mind shift towards taking more responsibility for one's own safety and well being in everyday life in Thailand. One really has to be more diligent and change one's mindset, than if one were in some other countries, where we have learned to take a lot of personal safety for granted. JMHO.

And your opinion please about cockroachsafety in thailand ? Pffffff

How about the roach motel? They check in, but they dont check out... Ok, never tried it, but that was the line from the old commercial.

I don't know if Thai roaches would fit through the door of one of those hotels, maybe try one meant for mice.

I haven't tried it here, but with the smaller roaches a vacuum cleaner works great. Roaches run away from wind, so if you aim a vacuum cleaner hose at them they run into it and get sucked up. I hate squishing them.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

the subject of creature you guys are discussing are sad.png same species that survived 4 mass extinction in earth history. no surprise on how they are developing, really.

Maybe they are extra terestial and are waiting for their moment to strike for world dominationsad.png

When emptying half a can you should consider that these pesticides are also dangerous to humans (especially those not grown up yet) and pets.

I understand your concern for the health of children, but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide.

hahahahahaha! really?

Well that is what wiki tells me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypermethrin

from your links:

Cytotoxicity

Scientific tests in vitro have concluded that cytotoxic damage like DNA-breakdown and gene-mutation can be done by bifenthrin. Cytotoxic effects are not seen directly, but are more long-term-based. These effects can differ in severity based on which enantiomer the body is exposed to and the dose. Cytotoxic damage in humans results from increased oxidative stress, which leads to Single-strand-DNA-breaking and degrading of lipids in the plasma membrane and F-Actine. The exact mechanims included in this path are not completely known yet, though several groups have found matching results regarding increased ROS-production which induces apoptosis. Bifenthrin also activates the LFA-1/ICAM function of T-cells. This function is a marker for inflammation. This means that T-cells will be recognized by your body as if they were inflamed. This can ultimately lead to autoimmune diseases like asthma, bronchitis, arthritis and cancer.[2]

Neurotoxicity for humans

Exposure to bifenthrin can be achieved either via skin contact or ingestion. Skin-contact is not toxic, apart from a slight tingling sensation on the specific location of contact. Ingestion is toxic, although only slightly. Concentrations up to 10-4 M are not inducing toxic effects. Commercially available bifenthrin (Ortho Home Defense Max, for example) however, can induce toxic effects in those concentrations, because the added chemicals to Ortho Home Defense Max which for instance improve the sustainability either potentiate bifenthrin or are toxic of their own. Symptoms of excessive exposure to bifenthrin are nausea, headaches, hypersensitivity for touch and sound and irritation of the skin and the eyes.[11]

the second link aint much better.

the stuff is poison really, how safe can it be?

It costs a lot of money for the government to take care of all your potential problems. That is why taxes are so high in the west. In Thailand you are on your own and you need to do your own due diligence. Just about everything is available on the internet. Protect yourself if you are interested, otherwise accept the consequences. Everyone with half a brain knows that Thailand has ridiculously low environmental standards.

Just invite the bug vendor to your house once a week. I am sure they will trap em and sell em as a snack for someone. Win win situation there. You get rid of the roaches and they make a bit of cash! tongue.png

No. Thai people of some provinces eat insects, but not cockroaches.

I still use old-fashioned Baygon. Some roaches keep running after one load. I‘ll let them run. All of them die, it just takes longer for some.

Regarding the roach, I know they don't die instantly but normally they move at a slow pace and the first obstruction they meet they will turn on their back, but this one was a racer where Michael Johnson would have been jealous about.

"but I doubt if harmful to humans those insecticides would be allowed to be sold worldwide."

With all due respect, I think that is putting a lot of blind trust in others for your safety. History is littered with so many cases of products, services that were released, sold to the public and thought to be safe and where people took it for granted it was safe, and it later turned out not to be. Insecticide especially is toxic, by the very nature that it is intended to kill something living. And just because it is sold widely does not mean that it is safe to spray with little concern all around the house.

I would not trust in any country, but especially Thailand. Maybe diverting the subject a tad, but in Thailand, one has really alter their thinking greatly. Coming from other countries that have better safety standards, less corruption, many of us take for granted that services, products, places, just living, that there will be some level of safety and we put a level of trust in that and dont think about safety. e.g. we dont think twice when eating food bought from the supermarket or restaurant, or using an appliance without getting electrocuted, or dont look both ways, when starting out from a green light, as we assume those that have the red will stop, and countless other everyday acts that we do without thinking, that implicitly assume some level of trust and lack of concern for our own safety and well being.

But, in countries like Thailand, there really has to be a mindset that there is less regulation or enforcement of regulations, more corruption, and that leads to a less safe environment and therefore it behooves us to take a more active role in guarding our own safety. One only has to read Thai Visa for awhile and you will see case after case of things to watch out for. e.g. we should drive much more defensively in Thailand, since greater chance other drivers will not follow the rules. Or we should be much more careful in products we buy or use, or not assume that a service will be of a certain standard, and not assume they will be safe. Of course, there are many things one cant guard against, no matter how careful we are, but there still should be a mind shift towards taking more responsibility for one's own safety and well being in everyday life in Thailand. One really has to be more diligent and change one's mindset, than if one were in some other countries, where we have learned to take a lot of personal safety for granted. JMHO.

Wow, talk about mental jumps. So a cockroach that appears to resist a pesticide has to do with corruption and with driving in Thailand. I think the stuff you smoke is illegal in Thailand...

Regarding the roach, I know they don't die instantly but normally they move at a slow pace and the first obstruction they meet they will turn on their back, but this one was a racer where Michael Johnson would have been jealous about.

Of course they are allowed to be sold, anywhere in the world. The packaging says that you have to leave the room while applying. As with all things, it is a question of the dosage, and the OP said he emtied half a can in one go. That can't be healthy, neither for roaches nor for humans.

Edited by onthemoon

Since I have been in Thailand, I have honestly not seen ONE cockroach.

Also, I left all the cockroaches I knew back in Taiwan.

In Taiwan the roaches don't much like to run. They far prefer to fly.

They can fly easily up to the 5th floor of an apartment building and then sail in across the balcony and into an open sliding glass door.

The thing I don't like is when they are crawling all over the walls in the kitchen, once you hit them with the spray, then they will just leap off the wall and start to flap and descend,

Sometime right into your open wok filled with fried rice.

So I never spray them when I am cooking and they are climbing.

If you really are interested in what they sell in Taiwan to fight theirs then I will try to get the info tomorrow and post it.

I know that they have Baygon of course, which is made by Bayer, as far as I know.

I've never heard of flying 'roaches. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Also, never spray any insect spray in a room before you cover any food ... beer etc. You end up eating or drinking the stuff as it descends onto things.

• Like 1

I've never heard of flying 'roaches. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Also, never spray any insect spray in a room before you cover any food ... beer etc. You end up eating or drinking the stuff as it descends onto things.

Just curious, you have never seen flying cockroaches?

That is incredible.

Ask anyone on TV.

Since I have been in Thailand, I have honestly not seen ONE cockroach.

Also, I left all the cockroaches I knew back in Taiwan.

In Taiwan the roaches don't much like to run. They far prefer to fly.

They can fly easily up to the 5th floor of an apartment building and then sail in across the balcony and into an open sliding glass door.

The thing I don't like is when they are crawling all over the walls in the kitchen, once you hit them with the spray, then they will just leap off the wall and start to flap and descend,

Sometime right into your open wok filled with fried rice.

So I never spray them when I am cooking and they are climbing.

If you really are interested in what they sell in Taiwan to fight theirs then I will try to get the info tomorrow and post it.

I know that they have Baygon of course, which is made by Bayer, as far as I know.

If you haven't seen one cockroach in Thailand, you haven't paid attention. Or haven't been here for long - they have even been known to dance on stage in the girly bars, according to B. Trink.

That said, I can confirm that these insects can fly. I have seen this not only in Taiwan but also in Thailand.

But spraying pesticides over open food or cooking in a roach-infested kitchen are things that I wouldn't even consider thinking about.

As a side remark: Bayer sold Baygon to S.C. Johnson 10 years ago.

Amazing thaivisa!. Even a discussion on the Iowly cockroach can start an argument!

If you mean this in a sarcastic way, may I ask you whether you really think that there are more important things in life than cockroaches?