No BA / Teaching License / Married Thai w/ children

Ok, I've searched and couldn't find an answer. Here is my situation and I hope someone can help. I first came to Thailand and got married to my beautiful Thai wife. I started to work for a government school with no BA degree. I got a 2 year temporary teaching license. I worked for that school for about 1 1/2 years in 2011-2012. I then decided to work for Rajabhat University in 2012 which doesn't require a teaching license. I worked there for about 6 months and then moved back to America. I stayed in America for 6 months and alas couldn't find work. I missed my wife and two baby girls so I moved back to Thailand. I started searching for work again in January 2013. I got work at another government school and I started working for them in the month of May. I've been working for them for about 2 months now. I will receive my work permit this Friday. Just today my boss (head of English department) said to me, " Sorry Shaun, you don't qualify for a teaching license." I did a lot of research and I saw some posts on Thaivisa that some foreigners got another two year temporary teaching license. I read that if you get a two year temporary license and it expires that you can't work for that school anymore. You need a BA to get the 5 year teachers license. So, many foreigners would move to another school and get another temporary teaching license. I've done the same thing and they said to me that I cannot get another license without a BA. I have a NON - O visa. I know that my other options are having 400,000 BHT in the bank or 40,000 BHT a month income. I only make 30,000 BHT a month. I cannot extend my NON - O visa with only a work permit and no teaching license. What are my options? Another foreigner told me that I could start school at a Thai university and show proof that I'm trying to earn my BA in Thailand. That foreigner got a teaching license. I did not take any culture courses, etc. What are my options? What should I do?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the rules changed. For a temporary license you now also need a degree, which you don't have.

You can contact the teachers council, just send an email to fru -AT- ksp.go.th.

Working for a vocational college or university are your best options, next comes langage schools.

More information in the teaching section about your possibilities and requirements. I will move your thread there.

If you get the work permit and the only problem you have is getting the extension of stay you could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon having a Thai wife in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

It would mean doing border runs every 90 days but it may be your only option.

The WP requires that you have a teaching license or waiver, but a very few labour offices (and immigration offices) don't implement this rule. If you do get the WP without the waiver, the multiple non-O option is an excellent alternative.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I've also heard that if you continue your education while in Thailand by doing an online BA degree that they will accept that and extend my NON - O. Maybe that was the case last year... but this is the land of change :P

I have a friend at work that is in the same predicament as me. He doesn't have a BA and got his NON - O three years ago. He extends his NON - O every year. He said that he is doing online education to get his BA. He said that this is his last year on his NON - O. Then he needs to leave the country and get a NON - O. They said that they won't extend his NON - O next year because he needs a BA degree.

Ok, there is another option. I could go back to America and start school again to earn my BA. My wife has a BA in Tourism and Marketing from Rome Tortuga University. Will America companies accept her BA? Will it be easy for her to find work in America? My two babies will get their American passports and birth certificates within 3 months. Let me know what you guys think. Again, Thanks for your answers and your help.

Start making a plan to get qualified.

Western credentials are always best, but if you plan to only work in Thailand there are a few programs which can qualify you for a work permit for minimal tuition.

Getting a job somewhere where they will hire you will only be temporary; you will be in the same position again soon and worst case scenario, arrested for not having a work permit.

Bite the bullet and do what you need to do

Western credentials are always best, but if you plan to only work in Thailand there are a few programs which can qualify you for a work permit for minimal tuition.

Getting a job somewhere where they will hire you will only be temporary; you will be in the same position again soon and worst case scenario, arrested for not having a work permit.

The thing is, I will obtain my work permit this Friday. They accepted all the paperwork. I've also learned another new things today. Let me know if this is correct. The school can write an exemplary letter stating that I would be exempt from having a teaching license. The school will state that they see me as a " professional teacher " and that they really want me to teach there. The letter will be sent to the education department in Bangkok. Then they will allow me to work at that school without a teaching license. I also found Mario2008 post in Tct Teacher Licence Exemption Letter

saying

Mario2008

Superb Member

• photo-thumb-62818.jpg?_r=0
  • Global Moderators
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 21,973 posts

Posted 2012-06-20 11:09:52

nan immirgation is right abut the need for a teaching license or waiver.

A waiver is normally good for 2 years, also for volunteers. But I heard that for volunteers now there is a letter that will indeed be valid for the duration of the volunteering and they don't need a new letter every 2 years. Your story seems to confirm this. Funny thing is that if I recall correctly the rumour about not needing a new letter every two years was from Nan-immigration.

Normally you give a copy of the waiver and keep the original. I don't understand why the officier kept the original, maybe he was new to his job.

Mario2008 can I get another exempt (waiver) to teach in Thailand for 2 more years since I changed schools? This was allowed last year... why not now?

I read all your posts again and this is what I've understood so far. BA is required for a teaching license. You cannot get it twice anymore (exempt/waiver). With a multiple Non- O visa and work permit I can still work for this school but illegal since I don't have a teaching license. Since I shouldn't have a work permit without a teaching license. Then I need to start searching for work at school that don't require a license or work for a foreign company which is most likely in Bangkok (bleh). What are the penalties for working with a work permit but having no teaching license? Anyways, Khon Kaen office will not extend the Non - O without a teaching license. They don't care if I have a work permit. I really don't feel like leaving the country every 3 months... (sigh)

Edited by Ajarn Shaun

I think a Non-O can be extended with a mix of savings and salary so if you don't earn the required 40k per month you can show some savings which, if you earn 30k per month, it shouldn't be that much.

Then, perhaps... I will extend the Non-O visa for 1 year based on marriage / financial requirement and start searching for work elsewhere.

Edited by Ajarn Shaun

Also if you intend on staying in Thailand long term, then you should probably look into getting a bachelors degree. As the school is able to get you a work permit at the moment, basically due to a loophole in Thai law, which they will eventually fix. If you can get your degree in 3-4 years, then all you need to do is find something which works for you visa/workpermit wise until then.

Thongsook College offers a TEFL bachelor degree course (in English) which would probably be suitable for your needs (e.g. You're work during the term, and do assignments etc online. Then during the April + October holidays you goto BKK to study).

• Like 1

Also if you intend on staying in Thailand long term, then you should probably look into getting a bachelors degree. As the school is able to get you a work permit at the moment, basically due to a loophole in Thai law, which they will eventually fix. If you can get your degree in 3-4 years, then all you need to do is find something which works for you visa/workpermit wise until then.

Thongsook College offers a TEFL bachelor degree course (in English) which would probably be suitable for your needs (e.g. You're work during the term, and do assignments etc online. Then during the April + October holidays you goto BKK to study).

Instead of going to a university in Thailand and having my BA denied in America. I currently applied to many online universities in America which give financial aid options. Once I start school I will get financial aid and receive money every term. Since online schooling is cheaper than normal universities and the financial aid is geared towards normal university loans. There will be lots of " extra " money pull out options. Which means that I could live in Thailand by using school loans. I could get (borrow) from the loan based on " financial difficulties " and receive anywhere between 30,000 - 50,000 BHT a month (get every 3 months which means getting between 90,000-150,000 bht). When I was going to college in America to receive my Associates of Science. I was getting government loans and I had a little extra money every term to pull out whatever was left over or let that leftover money help pay for school. Since that college was expensive I could only pull out about 10,000 BHT a term.

Edited by Ajarn Shaun

If you have an Associate's Degree, then you should only have two more years to complete a Bachelor's Degree. You want to get your degree in Education because that is what will be needed for the Teacher's License eventually.

The thing is, I will obtain my work permit this Friday. They accepted all the paperwork. I've also learned another new things today. Let me know if this is correct. The school can write an exemplary letter stating that I would be exempt from having a teaching license. The school will state that they see me as a " professional teacher " and that they really want me to teach there. The letter will be sent to the education department in Bangkok. Then they will allow me to work at that school without a teaching license. I also found Mario2008 post in Tct Teacher Licence Exemption Letter

saying

Mario2008

Superb Member

• photo-thumb-62818.jpg?_r=0
  • Global Moderators
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 21,973 posts

Posted 2012-06-20 11:09:52

nan immirgation is right abut the need for a teaching license or waiver.

A waiver is normally good for 2 years, also for volunteers. But I heard that for volunteers now there is a letter that will indeed be valid for the duration of the volunteering and they don't need a new letter every 2 years. Your story seems to confirm this. Funny thing is that if I recall correctly the rumour about not needing a new letter every two years was from Nan-immigration.

Normally you give a copy of the waiver and keep the original. I don't understand why the officier kept the original, maybe he was new to his job.

Mario2008 can I get another exempt (waiver) to teach in Thailand for 2 more years since I changed schools? This was allowed last year... why not now?

As I said; you might be ok for the time being; but it sounds like your place of employment has you by the knutsack. From what you described, any problems which arise; you will be in no position to find a new job.

Not a position I would want to be in. If you are hired there for two years, I would use those two years to obtain at minimum; a bachelor degree.

I think a Non-O can be extended with a mix of savings and salary so if you don't earn the required 40k per month you can show some savings which, if you earn 30k per month, it shouldn't be that much.

For marriage you can not use a combination of income and money in the bank.

OP cannot get a new waiver, as the rules have changed and you now need to have a bachelor degree in any field to get the waiver.

• Like 1

doesn't the university of khao san offer degrees?

They do, but further learning is in jail. Once you have finished your "degree" there you will be expelled.

Fake documents are taken seriously and lead to prosecution, sentencing and deportation.

• Like 2

OP cannot get a new waiver, as the rules have changed and you now need to have a bachelor degree in any field to get the waiver.

Well, I'm going to be honest here. I don't want a BA in Teaching (dun dun dun). I want a BA in web design. That means that I could get another waiver once I get my BA but that waiver is only good for 2 years. I've read that there are 3 waivers (some say two haha) and here they are

1. no degree : school sends an exempt letter pleading to have me (two year temporary teaching license) *done*

2. complete culture course / BA any field : don't have either one of those (two year temporary teaching license) *kinda done*

- I'm somehow getting my work permit and I can get a multiple non - O and work here for 2 years.

3. BA in any field : (two year temporary teaching license, maybe)*working on it*

- achieved my BA in web design

4. go home or find foreign company to work for in Bangkok/Online. *sucks*

So, basically... Even " if " I achieve my BA while working at this school for 2 years. I would only qualify (maybe) for a 3rd waiver and get a two year temporary teaching license. My question is, how many foreigners that have been working in Thailand for so many years with BA in another field going to keep working in Thailand? Is this going to be their final stretch of 2 years and their are no more options/waivers? Good luck to everyone. Thanks for all your posts.

Well, I'm going to be honest here. I don't want a BA in Teaching (dun dun dun). I want a BA in web design. That means that I could get another waiver once I get my BA but that waiver is only good for 2 years. I've read that there are 3 waivers (some say two haha) and here they are

1. no degree : school sends an exempt letter pleading to have me (two year temporary teaching license) *done*

2. complete culture course / BA any field : don't have either one of those (two year temporary teaching license) *kinda done*

- I'm somehow getting my work permit and I can get a multiple non - O and work here for 2 years.

3. BA in any field : (two year temporary teaching license, maybe)*working on it*

- achieved my BA in web design

4. go home or find foreign company to work for in Bangkok/Online. *sucks*

So, basically... Even " if " I achieve my BA while working at this school for 2 years. I would only qualify (maybe) for a 3rd waiver and get a two year temporary teaching license. My question is, how many foreigners that have been working in Thailand for so many years with BA in another field going to keep working in Thailand? Is this going to be their final stretch of 2 years and their are no more options/waivers? Good luck to everyone. Thanks for all your posts.

Your Non-O visa is based on your marriage to a Thai. Therefore you’ll always have to show 400,000 baht on a Thai bank account in your name.

( The only exception is to go to Sawhannaket/laos, they're not asking for cash on your bank account, but it could change soon.)

You never get such a visa just because you received a work permit. That’s a Non-B visa, where you only have to make your 90 day registration with the immigration where you’re working at.

If you’d like to stay in Thailand with your wife, you could enroll at a Thai university and do your degree on weekends.

You need one in education to get your teacher’s license from TCT.

It doesn’t take four years to complete, as they consider your education from your home country. Why can’t you just get in touch with your local university and ask them. Or your wife.

I can assure you that there’re many people legally working for eight years, just having a BA in any field. But that has changed, as they want to see a degree in education now.

Go for whatever suits you best. Good luck.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

I think the ฿40,000 a month income for a one year extension based on marriage can be a combination pf your and your wife's earnings. So if you make ฿30,000 a month and your wife ฿10,000, then you qualify. The problem is if you are teaching then immigration will still ask for a Teachong License.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can assure you that there’re many people legally working for eight years, just having a BA in any field. But that has changed, as they want to see a degree in education now.

Huh what?

I'm pretty sure that if you have a degree and do your culture course + pass your teacher's licence exams, that you can get your teachers licence.

If you can't pass your teachers licence exams after 6 years of temporary teachers licences, then you've got really bad luck with multi guess exams lol.

• Like 1

Huh what?

I'm pretty sure that if you have a degree and do your culture course + pass your teacher's licence exams, that you can get your teachers licence.

If you can't pass your teachers licence exams after 6 years of temporary teachers licences, then you've got really bad luck with multi guess exams lol.

Correct.

• Like 1

I believe the requirements at the moment are a Bachelor's Degree (any major) for the 1st 2 year waiver. After those 2 years, complete the Culture Course for another 2 year waiver; then do 1 Professional Knowledge Test for another 2 year waiver. By doing these tests (every 2 years) you are showing Krusapa than you are "improving yourself" and there is no limit to these waivers.

But you do need a Bachelor's Degree.

Edited by newatthis

^ I'm afraid that what you wrote is not true. The current requirements state 2 provisional teaching permits only. However, very recent reports state that a 3rd provisional teaching permit will be granted under certain conditions.

And yes, as of April 2012 a university degree is required when applying.

^ I'm afraid that what you wrote is not true. The current requirements state 2 provisional teaching permits only. However, very recent reports state that a 3rd provisional teaching permit will be granted under certain conditions.

And yes, as of April 2012 a university degree is required when applying.

Thanks for this info. I apologize for misleading the OP

• Like 1

I was told from someone that if I'm working on my BA currently that I could get another temporary license. I will call and confirm if this is true. For I will enroll in school and work on getting my BA soon sometime next month.

Edited by Ajarn Shaun