Being entered in the wife's Tabien Bahn.

I'm married to a Thai and have been mainly living here on Non-O multientry visas for 3 years. We just had a child born here and she was entered in the Tabien Bahn.

I just read that someone was saying that if you have a child entered and you ar the listed father on the birth cert then you can/should be added.

Others say you have to have been living here on extentions for five years too. Others said impossible and you can only be entered in a Yellow tabien baan and not the blue Thai one.

So what's the story with it?

Married with a child born and registered here, does it count for anything when it comes to Tabien baans?

You can see an English translation of the house registration book here:

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/pic/HouseReg.doc

As the father of a Thai national entered in a blue house registration book (TR.14) your name will be shown as the father of that person, but your are not being entered in the book as a person residing at that address. I'm not sure if only your first name is show or also your last name.

• Like 1

I went to another computer to check an entry in a house registration book and see that the full name, including family name, is entered for the person being registered as residing at the address, but only of first names of the parents of that person are recorded in the respective fields.

As the father of a Thai national entered in a blue house registration book (TR.14) your name will be shown as the father of that person, but your are not being entered in the book as a person residing at that address. I'm not sure if only your first name is show or also your last name.

Okay thanks,

Is it difficult to do?

And does it serve any purpose whatsoever? Is there any advantage to getting it done?

Thanks.

Normally not difficult, but it really depends on the local amphur. Some want to see more documents and translations than others.

Benefits are that it is proof of address, should you need one and you can often use it to get access to national parks etc for the Thai person price.

It also comes in handy if you ever consider to apply for PR or Thai citizenship.

I suppose that there is no real disadvantage and may prove to be an advantage somewhere down the line then.

Are you given a separate page in it, or just your first name added to the child's page?

I would also guess that being in it might make the process of getting your own Yellow Tabien Bahn a little bit easier if you're dealing with an official who is a little bit hesitant.

I am interested in getting this answer:

Are you given a separate page in it, or just your first name added to the child's page?

A foreigner is not added to the Thai spouse's tabien baan, but is being added to the yellow tabien baan (which is for foreigners).

Yes, you get your own page in there, with a Thai ID-number which is I believe now also your Thai tax number.

The child's page only shows who the father is, not who is also living at that address.

A foreigner is not added to the Thai spouse's tabien baan, but is being added to the yellow tabien baan (which is for foreigners).

Yes, you get your own page in there, with a Thai ID-number which is I believe now also your Thai tax number.

You're talking about the Yellow Tabien Bahn now, right? A completely separate entity to what is being discussed with regards to the foreign father of a Thai child being listed in the Blue Tabien Bahn.

The child's page only shows who the father is, not who is also living at that address.

This is now the blue Tabien Bahn you're discussing, I guess.

I just called my wife and had her look and she says that yes, on our daughter's page in the blue Tabien Bahn it lists (in Thai obviously) Father's Name: with my first name listed.

Nothing else is mentioned such as nationality or passport number,

The tabien baan comes in two versions:

Blue for Thai nationals (and PR-holders)

Yellow for foreigners

A person is listed in a tabien baan with also the name of their parents, (often) their first name only. That is all. It doesn't mean that that parent is also registered there, only that he is the parent according to the birth certificate.

Only your own name registred in a yellow tabien baan serves as proof of address. Your name as father of the child at the entry in the tabien baan of the child doesn't even proof you are the legal father. Only that the birth certificate claims you are the father.

As an aside, when I was issued my PR and went to the muang police station to get the police book I was issued a letter and told to take it to the amphur for registration in my wife's tabian ban book ( I bought the house, obviously, we are legally married). The woman at the amphur just refused to do it. Said I didn't need to register and none of the Chinese who live in Buri Ram had registered and I didn't need to either. I'm not Chinese, not by the remotest stretch of any imagination. Pure farang. She claimed the police letter was unnecessary and they didn't know the law had changed. I intend to go back at some stage and force the issue, quietly.

As an aside, when I was issued my PR and went to the muang police station to get the police book I was issued a letter and told to take it to the amphur for registration in my wife's tabian ban book ( I bought the house, obviously, we are legally married). The woman at the amphur just refused to do it. Said I didn't need  to register and none of the Chinese who live in Buri Ram had registered and I didn't need to either.  I'm not Chinese, not by the remotest stretch of any imagination. Pure farang. She claimed the police letter was unnecessary and they didn't know the law had changed. I intend to go back at some stage and force the issue, quietly. 

If you are a PR holder and police have issued you the red book, then your amphur must include your name in TM 14. I have fought a lengthy war in my own case and they included my name after 3 bitter months.

• Like 1

Okay thanks,

Is it difficult to do?

And does it serve any purpose whatsoever? Is there any advantage to getting it done?

Thanks.

The way I see it you have no say in it; it is done automatically if the child's birth certificate shows you as the father of the child, ie it is the amphoe's official duty to record the names of the parents in the house registration book when application for the child's registration is made.

"Others said impossible and you can only be entered in a Yellow tabien baan and not the blue Thai one."

That's the story AFAIK.

I went to get my name in the Blue House Book and was told I could not so they gave me a yellow book but I had to get the boss of the town to come with me and my wife as a witness to say he knew me and I was of good character pretty easy really. It has its advantages as you can buy a car,motor bike etc in your own name without having to go to immigration for a letter.

Edited by Maestro
Fixed quote tags