Do you live in LOS? Does your family back home judge you....

ghworker2010

After visiting LOS for holidays in the past 10 yrs I decided to put my stuff into a storage container, pay my taxes and bills and move from the West to the East. Its my 2nd year of living in Thailand and I love it.

Recently I had to return to the mother country for a brief visit to sort out many things. Naturally I had to see the relatives and I found them to be a bit of a wind up. It was the indirect jokes / comments about my life in Thailand that made me think to myself ...do I have much in common with these people anymore.

What are your experiences with your own family back home? I think as one grows older you grow apart from your brothers and sisters. Do you think they make judgements about you living in Thailand...

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, I get raft just for visiting a couple of times a year for 2 or 3 months. I don't think it's about moving, per se.

And no, I don't care what they think and I won't listen to them talk about it. They have learned that if they bring it up I simply get up and drive away.

• Like 1

No, I don't think I am judged at all. Family visit me annually, my elderly mum absolutely dotes over my Thai wife (and now newborn son).

It could be because I don't have a wide social network, I am quite choosy in that respect, so I guess only those closest and who know me well are in a position to be judgemental.

• Like 1

My family have all either stayed here with us or ,lived with my Thai wife and son back in the UK they all get on with her great ,only once have i been told by a westerner that my wife only married me for a passport ,that was 20 years ago ,he is now divorced and living alone back in the UK in a bedsit ,so all in all i think i am envied rather than judged .mind you a few of my mates back home are convinced i get a bit on the side now and again ,even though i don't .

• Like 1

Only positive comments but then again I build a business here and have a great life. Things might have been different if I was a barfly living hand to mouth. Wherever you build your future is irrelevant as long as you build it well and are not lazy or drinking it away.

Actually got more then a few jealous comments from friends, and a few wanting to do the same.

• Like 1

Not family, only the flat earth society that wrap themselves in the flag. Pathetic, ignorant people that I don't have to deal with.

Hey Kennedy, Thanks for putting a name to the folk like "that". It's perfect -- The Flat Earth Society.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Thailand now, but when I went back to the States in 2000 after about 10 years in Japan, two of my sisters told me to "settle down and get a real job." I guess being a perfessr in a furrin county don't count.

I care very much what my children back home thinks about me. Before I left I sat them down and explained to them my plans to live in South America but I was going to a visit to Thailand first, After arriving in Thailand I never went back home.

My children told me dad you dedicated the first part of your life to raising us, now is the time for you to live your life to make yourself happy.

My two brothers followed me to Thailand and my sister came for a visit, all my family gets along greatly with my wife!

Cheers:smile.png

• Like 1

In Thailand now, but when I went back to the States in 2000 after about 10 years in Japan, two of my sisters told me to "settle down and get a real job." I guess being a perfessr in a furrin county don't count.

You're a professor in a foreign country? Are you sure?

Mother and Stepdad use it as an excuse to fly out for a holiday every February. My Sister done her Birthday in Thailand now for the last 3 years. (next year she will bring my Nephew who will be 6). My Dad and his wife come in September for 6 months a year now. He can't get enough golf and loves the climate. So as for me and my family no. But I do know people who used to be friends who think you are crazy to live in Thailand. They tell me it's a 3rd world country and they would never go in a million years. But then again they have never been outside their small bubble. So I just laugh and say yea, it's a hard life and i just scrape by....

• Like 1

Ten years ago I took my wife to visit my old country. Very well recieved by most of the family, who had cooked lovely Thai food and were really welcoming to the wife.

Next day I called my mother, who lives a few miles from the rest of the family, telling her, we were planning to visit. And her answer: "You are welcome, but no need to bring your socalled wife"

Haven't spoken to her since!

And I am still married to my "socalled wife" ! wub.png

Wow, your own mom. Good on you for standing up for the wife.

Ten years ago I took my wife to visit my old country. Very well recieved by most of the family, who had cooked lovely Thai food and were really welcoming to the wife.

Next day I called my mother, who lives a few miles from the rest of the family, telling her, we were planning to visit. And her answer: "You are welcome, but no need to bring your socalled wife"

Haven't spoken to her since!

And I am still married to my "socalled wife" ! wub.png

Wow, your own mom. Good on you for standing up for the wife.

I agree. Good for you for standing up to you "socalled" mom.

Wow that is pretty rough for the guys who's mom does not accept their wives. I have had a number done on me by my first Thai wife that lived with me in The Netherlands, so my mom was not that happy I had a new Thai g/f. It took a bit more time to warm up to her and now no problems anymore she has proven herself. Parents come here every year sometimes more, we went back a few times too. All is good never strange remarks.

I couldn't care less what people think back home. Most of them sit around moaning about the same things year on year, and saying how lucky you are to be out workin in a place like Thailand .the majority haven't got the <deleted> to get out of the comfort zone, and those that want to nudge and wink aren't part of my social network anyhow. My family are very supportive of me working here, and my friends often visit. There will always be detractors but you must do things for yourself. Good luck.

"Most of them sit around moaning about the same things year on year..."

For a moment there I thought you were talking about the ThaiVisa regulars.

Most people I know at "home" (actually here is home to me) act envious, especially during the winter months, and hint at how nice it would be for them to come and visit. If they have other thoughts about my life here they keep it to themselves because of their deep and abiding respect for me (sarcasm alert) and because they know I'd give them step-by-step instructions on where to shove it if they were harboring any doubts on the suitability of my chosen retirement home.

Edited by Suradit69