Newborn Baby 'Left To Die' At Bangkok Canal

webfact

Newborn Baby 'Left To Die' At Bangkok Canal

BANGKOK: -- A male newborn baby, with umbilical cord still intact, has been found floating in a canal at Soi Pracha Uthit 107, Bangkok.

The person who discovered the baby said at first she thought it was a doll. When she realized it was a baby boy, she said, she and her neighbors scrambled to rescue him from the canal and brought him to the hospital.

The baby’s condition was described as critical due to many hours partially drowned in the canal, and his chance of survival was said to be "50-50".

Police officers believe the baby was left to die by his parents, adding that locals told them they heard a motorcycle passing through the vicinity around 04.00-05.00 this morning.

News of infants abandoned by their parents is routine incidents in Thailand, and the case mostly involved young, teen couples who had unwanted pregnancy. Recently, some news agencies also reported that Thailand’s teenage pregnancy rate is the highest in Southeast Asia.

Yet, abortion remains illegal in Thailand except for medical reasons, and activists struggle to convince the mostly-conservative Thai society to be more open toward birth-control methods such as contraceptives and condoms.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01qYzFOREExTkE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-07-02

God and buddha bless him

Hope he pulls thru

If it is from an unwanted teenage pregnancy,

perhaps this will awaken Thailand to the fact

the teens do have sex and they need to be

taught about precautions and protections

It is not the 1800's anymore Thailand .... wake up

• Like 2

God and buddha bless him

Hope he pulls thru

Not a chance in hell this will awaken anyone...unwanted teenage pregnancy is an everyday affair in Thailand (and many other countries).

I hope the baby pulls through.

Are we surprised?

That's what you get for little to no (sex) education, willy-nilly XXXXing around with the "man" not having to bare any consequences, not legalizing abortion etc. eg: being a 2rd world country.

I hope the baby makes it.

Horrific -- This young fellow is a mavel , he has a chance--please let the kid survive, I will NOT be alone in wishing him live. for heavens sake government get your minds past the money thing and DO SOMETHING. NOW.

another social tragedy ! it is not anything a law could help, a condom could help, it all comes down to the heart of the teens. the hard fact is, we cannot stop teens having sex, but there is not what so ever the society could help these unfortunate - except the already crowded temples.

we could not stop the teens with a bible when they heat up, do it before and long before.

• Like 1

I hope the parents go through the same horrible death. I hope this boy survives and is fit and healthy

What a ridiculous post.. it's very hard to understand the motivation behind this but I would suspect the mother herself needs some much needed help. Wishing a horrible death on someone is despicable.

totster :)

+1

another social tragedy ! it is not anything a law could help, a condom could help, it all comes down to the heart of the teens. the hard fact is, we cannot stop teens having sex, but there is not what so ever the society could help these unfortunate - except the already crowded temples.

we could not stop the teens with a bible when they heat up, do it before and long before.

Clearly you’re right. There are already laws against murder – which this is – so no use trying to defuse a bomb that has already gone off. Education and a legal means of “getting rid” of a newborn is what is needed.

God and buddha bless him

Hope he pulls thru

Well said.

Isn't there a place to drop unwanted kids off? There must be, and it should be promoted. There are many people who want kids, and would probably adopt an infant. so sad.

yes, certain - the Thai practice is TEMPLE, for unwanted kids of all ages, dogs and cats. there are so so so many young kids in the temples these days. that is sad !

Isn't there a place to drop unwanted kids off? There must be, and it should be promoted. There are many people who want kids, and would probably adopt an infant. so sad.

adoption is generally only practiced in thailand when a slave is wanted. It is highly frowned upon.

i am adopted, and when i tell thais in conversation they are shocked or tell me not to let anyone know.

Edited by joeaverage
  • Like 1

Clearly you’re right. There are already laws against murder – which this is – so no use trying to defuse a bomb that has already gone off. Education and a legal means of “getting rid” of a newborn is what is needed.

tell you what, I had an unexpected conversation with my 24-years old university student who comes from a wealthy family. in her teen, the GIRL school ( a very famous one ) taught them the concept of using condom - say NO if your man has no condom. I get really worry if this is a kind of sex education in Thailand.

well the guys could always keep it in their pants if they are not man enough to face the consequences, if you want to blame someone blame the teens parents that let their kids get into sexual relationships at such young ages and in a lot of cases encourage the boys to do it. We have a third world country trying to act like a first world one but not having the ability or the brains to do so, as long as they put face/money before everything else this will continue.

What a load of <deleted> posted here by some members...

The simple question is: Even if abortion is banned, even if sex education here in Thailand is useless, even if drugs, or whatever and whoever is to blame... Why did the mother think the only way out is throwing that poor baby into a canal an let it die? Why not bring him to a hospital, temple, church, shopping center or wherever and give the little soul at least the chance of being found by a decent person who can save his life?

One of my best friends and his wife are hoping and trying so much for a baby after a miscarriage some years ago shattered their dream of becoming a real family, while others simply throw a little healthy baby boy into a canal like garbage. What a f#cked up world we live in - sometimes it hurts so much that I just want to leave this planet for good sad.png

• Like 2

The simple question is: Even if abortion is banned, even if sex education here in Thailand is useless, even if drugs, or whatever and whoever is to blame... Why did the mother think the only way out is throwing that poor baby into a canal an let it die? Why not bring him to a hospital, temple, church, shopping center or wherever and give the little soul at least the chance of being found by a decent person who can save his life?

One of my best friends and his wife are hoping and trying so much for a baby after a miscarriage some years ago shattered their dream of becoming a real family, while others simply throw a little healthy baby boy into a canal like garbage. What a f#cked up world we live in - sometimes it hurts so much that I just want to leave this planet for good sad.png

very simple - the logic of FACE, also well said in message #9 by trainman. it is a kind of intangible very difficult for us being raised up from a different logic.

just because of the FACE, someone will shoot at you, someone will throw the baby into canal . . . . everywhere in Asia, from China to Japan ! ( sorry being off-topic )

• Like 2

This is very sad. Hope the baby recovers and goes to a new home with parents who will love him.

How hypocritical - only abortions allowed with medical reasons, yet many women are allowed here have Cesarean sections for purely cosmetic reasons or to stop the pain !!!!

God and buddha bless him

Hope he pulls thru

sad monument to the thai education system ( more attention to thai soap operas than reality)

Clearly youre right. There are already laws against murder which this is so no use trying to defuse a bomb that has already gone off. Education and a legal means of getting rid of a newborn is what is needed.

tell you what, I had an unexpected conversation with my 24-years old university student who comes from a wealthy family. in her teen, the GIRL school ( a very famous one ) taught them the concept of using condom - say NO if your man has no condom. I get really worry if this is a kind of sex education in Thailand.
You worried about a girl says no to no condom?

Because Thais don't understand charitable adoption.

It's an offence to the man.

God and buddha bless him

Hope he pulls thru

If a higher deity cared about blessing this baby he would not been in the canal in the first place or this may all be happening accoring to a deity's plan or will; if so, then those kindly neighbors may have interfered. Which brings up the point that the deities either don't care or are for all human purposes non-existant as well as useless in cases like this.

I understand the sentiment as being an expression of human compassion but I also understand that it is useless and won't change a thing.

It is the religious establishments that are the major hindrance to proper science/sex education and contraception in the first place. I doubt if they would give up their power and hold on the minds of the uneducated or semi-educated that continue to support them for the life of an insignificant (to them not to me) child.

We cannot have a rational progressive world and our superstitious nonsense at the same time; I know what my choice is.....

Edited by IBoldnewguy
  • Like 2

well the guys could always keep it in their pants if they are not man enough to face the consequences, if you want to blame someone blame the teens parents that let their kids get into sexual relationships at such young ages and in a lot of cases encourage the boys to do it. We have a third world country trying to act like a first world one but not having the ability or the brains to do so, as long as they put face/money before everything else this will continue.

So are you saying that you kept it in your pants until you could fully understand the consequences of having sex and that you then waited until your parents gave you permission? clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

yes, certain - the Thai practice is TEMPLE, for unwanted kids of all ages, dogs and cats. there are so so so many young kids in the temples these days. that is sad !

With corrupt monks, uneducated teachers and the fact that abortion is illegal, the self-proclaimed upholders of Thainess and moral standards f#ed up big time.

• Like 2