success pizza - near dukes riverside

willfreeman

not however the realities of a well thought out rewarding life where everything becomes quantitative rather than qualitative

Very few people buy "top shelf" all the time. Unless one has the budget of Bill Gates it's typical for a trade-off to be made between price and quality when spending money.

But if your specific concern is about "price" being mentioned so often in reviews of Success Pizza, the reason is that low price is the most distinguishing feature of the restaurant. They are offering fair quality food at a fair price. There are many Italian places in town where you can get higher quality food at higher prices but there also are some that just have higher prices. Some people will find Success Pizza to be a good trade-off.

In his post he indicartes that he is interested in "quantitative rather than qualitative.

Seems to me he would be shopping at the cheapest places he can to get the most items for his money Quality is not a concern to him. According to his post.

"not however the realities of a well thought out rewarding life where everything becomes quantitative rather than qualitative"

What a shock to find out that he's not a high-so.

Edited by AngelsLariat

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re

My friend ordered chicken in wine sauce and that was also very good for 100 baht

that looks good smile.png

is there a fries or mash choice to go with that do you know ?

dave2... will be along sometime soon smile.png

a pic ... the start of the storm over doi suthep at 5 pm today

with the meat dishes you have a choice between a small garnish salad or french fries.

i dont know about the pastas, we didnt order any. :)

ps... i rode home in that storm !

I have a problem with acid reflux whenever i eat flour heavy things, pizza, donuts, cheap bread, cookies, etc....at Success Italian restaurant i DID NOT get acid reflux...

Just though some fellow acid reflux sufferers would like to know this.

• Like 1

@krs1

re .. with the meat dishes you have a choice between a small garnish salad or french fries.

thanks for the info ! ill give it a try smile.png

the location for anyone else

its 100 yards past the dukes

going towards the christian school / the bridge

that goes over the river to the bottom of thaphae

road

dave2

post-42592-0-93238200-1374062910_thumb.j

post-42592-0-77691100-1374062969_thumb.j

@krs1

re .. with the meat dishes you have a choice between a small garnish salad or french fries.

thanks for the info ! ill give it a try smile.png

the location for anyone else

its 100 yards past the dukes

going towards the christian school / the bridge

that goes over the river to the bottom of thaphae

road

dave2

I'd never find anything in Chiang Mai without a dave2 pic,

• Like 1

I have a problem with acid reflux whenever i eat flour heavy things, pizza, donuts, cheap bread, cookies, etc....at Success Italian restaurant i DID NOT get acid reflux...

real men do not suffer from acid reflux

real men do not suffer from acid reflux

hahaha...ok !

i jog 12-18 kilometers 6 days a week...i may not be a real man if i cant clear a marathon of 26 miles, but i assure you...i would like some that wine that youre drinking !

it is the best pizza in Chiang Mai for sure

It is a very subjective matter, for some might be the best and for others might just be average or not good at all.

For me (as Italian) I feel that the pizza at success is decent but nothing special and I haven't found yet the pizza that I really like.

But for being Thailand I can't complain since many places make pizza better than some of the restaurants in Italy!!

Oh, I just saw that you said Riverside. Will give it a go. xxx

Unless they have changed the menu at Riverside Market they do not have Pizza there. Dave only makes it at both of the Dukes. The one in the Night Bazaar has a small oven so you can not get the large one there.

Oh, I just saw that you said Riverside. Will give it a go. xxx

Unless they have changed the menu at Riverside Market they do not have Pizza there. Dave only makes it at both of the Dukes. The one in the Night Bazaar has a small oven so you can not get the large one there.

Dolly, there is Duke's Night Bazaar, Duke's Riverside (I'm not sure if there is an official naming of the two, but this is how I've always known them and it seems clear), River Market and Riverside, four different restaurants. There is no Riverside Market.

To add to the confusion, there'll shortly be a Duke's Promenada.

And I'm not sure whether Lucy was looking for Duke's Riverside or Success Pizza using Duke's as a landmark from the directions earlier in the thread. I read it as looking for Success Pizza using Duke's as a landmark, though if the kids love pizza, she should give both a go.

Dolly, there is Duke's Night Bazaar, Duke's Riverside (I'm not sure if there is an official naming of the two, but this is how I've always known them and it seems clear), River Market and Riverside, four different restaurants. There is no Riverside Market.

I never heard that before, The Riverside (near the Goodview Restaurant) is related to The Duke's?

Edited by AngelsLariat

No. They are refering to the original Duke's as the "riverside" Duke's because it is on the river.

OK, I though that he was saying that there 4 Duke's restaurants and was including the River Market and the Riverside among the 4.

Edited by AngelsLariat

We tried it last week. Just as I suspected, it is "Italian style" food aiming at the Thai market. I went with an open mind, but was disappointed and can't say I would go back. The pizza, as has been said before, has crust like a cracker. It is way too thin and crisp and falls apart when you pick up a slice. It also lacks any flavor. I don't think they use salt in the dough even. We ordered a salad. It came with Thai sweet mayonnaise sauce. I removed as much as I could and asked for olive oil or anything else but they didn't have it. My 4 year old ordered spaghetti carbonera and liked it. It looked to me like there was no sauce on it and it was dry. The g/f ordered an appetizer of chicken wrapped in bacon with white sauce. The chicken was a little cold in the center so it was frozen, the bacon was all fat. The sauce was flavorless.

I don't see the value others have mentioned either. The above mentioned items plus one beer and one water was 560 Baht. We could go to the Dukes and order one of their huge garlic chicken pizzas for 230? Baht that would feed 3, and a salad @ 100-200 Baht, plus another item and perhaps come in even a little less than the price at Success. Or you could go to one of the authentic, well-known Italian restaurants around town with the discount vouchers that you buy on-line and have a real Italian meal for less.

I don't understand all the fuss.

I agree with your comments in general but I'd say that you are fortunate if it's typical for you to have a bill of 500 to 600 baht for three people when you go to The Duke's. We usually end up spending 900 to 1200 baht for two people when we go there, though clearly that could be reduced if we made it a priority to order only items with the lowest prices.

How much is pizza in bangkok, also how big are they?

Sent from my SHW-M340K using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Bangkok proper pizzas from a restaurant cost more than Pizza Hut. But to get an indication, go to to the Pizza Hut or Pizza Company sites in Thailand.

The international chain franchises are ripping off most of the country because they charge the same high prices in top properties in downtown Bangkok as they do from a decrepit little shophouse in the outskirts of Chiang Mai, where rents, wages and all other costs are much lower. In Chiang Mai the only reason to pay that is if you feel like sponsoring Bangkok people's pizza prices.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

We tried it last week. Just as I suspected, it is "Italian style" food aiming at the Thai market. I went with an open mind, but was disappointed and can't say I would go back. The pizza, as has been said before, has crust like a cracker. It is way too thin and crisp and falls apart when you pick up a slice. It also lacks any flavor. I don't think they use salt in the dough even. We ordered a salad. It came with Thai sweet mayonnaise sauce. I removed as much as I could and asked for olive oil or anything else but they didn't have it. My 4 year old ordered spaghetti carbonera and liked it. It looked to me like there was no sauce on it and it was dry. The g/f ordered an appetizer of chicken wrapped in bacon with white sauce. The chicken was a little cold in the center so it was frozen, the bacon was all fat. The sauce was flavorless.

I don't see the value others have mentioned either. The above mentioned items plus one beer and one water was 560 Baht. We could go to the Dukes and order one of their huge garlic chicken pizzas for 230? Baht that would feed 3, and a salad @ 100-200 Baht, plus another item and perhaps come in even a little less than the price at Success. Or you could go to one of the authentic, well-known Italian restaurants around town with the discount vouchers that you buy on-line and have a real Italian meal for less.

I agree with your comments in general but I'd say that you are fortunate if it's typical for you to have a bill of 500 to 600 baht for three people when you go to The Duke's. We usually end up spending 900 to 1200 baht for two people when we go there, though clearly that could be reduced if we made it a priority to order only items with the lowest prices.

Keep in mind that my 4 y/o eats about 2 slices of pizza and a few bites of salad and spends the rest of the time with the coloring book they provide at the Dukes. So the 500-600 Baht is really for 2 people. But even if we order 2 X half-rack of ribs and share with the child, it still comes in at around 600 Baht. We don't make it a priority to order the cheapest thing. Sometimes the bill is more and quite often is less, if for example we order one half-rack of ribs and one cheeseburger which is 129 Baht. So I think the "value" is much better at a place like that. I do wish much success to "Success" however. I have to say that I really do miss the Northern Thai restaurant, Mae Nam Ping that was at that location previously.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that there are some very inexpensive items at the Duke's that are very good value. I tend to usually stick with a few medium price meals that I really like, but there is usually at least one bargain special that looks quite good as well as some of the lower priced items on the menu.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that there are some very inexpensive items at the Duke's that are very good value. I tend to usually stick with a few medium price meals that I really like, but there is usually at least one bargain special that looks quite good as well as some of the lower priced items on the menu.

Yes, there are some inexpensive items on Duke's menu. That would be one avenue for savings.

But generally I find that at any given restaurant that our final bill correlates better with the price of the average dish price of a dish on the menu than it does with the price of the cheapest items on the menu. One could say (perhaps accurately) that that's more a problem with my spending habits than anything else and that I should pay more attention to what items cost before ordering them, but one thing that I know for sure is that when we go to Duke's that I'm going to end up spending more money than if we went to a place like Success Pizza.

I ve been to Success and Dukes . At the Dukes with both my wife and I eating its generally around 700 to 900 baht depending on what we order. Always walk out full, and happy ... I do wish that he would include the vat in the menu price though .... Makes it easier for the wife to check the bill , and shes going to do that even if we eat at Mc Donalds . But never had a bad meal at either of the Dukes locations ........... Bottom line is you get what you pay for ............

• Like 1

The title of this post is rather misleading, Success, is not targetted at just selling pizza, the sign says Success Italian Restaurant. NOT Success Pizza.

• Like 1

I find your post kind of odd. My Schnitzel came with a garnish salad that had olive oil drizzled on it. No sweet mayonaisse in sight.

I guess the fuss is, for the price of a sandwich, burger, ribs...etc at Dukes, you can get 2 entrees at Success. Dukes has them on pizza though, but I do think that is the only thing that is a better value, but Dukes breads and pizza always give me reflux.

For now Success has been good to me and I will be going back.

I find your post kind of odd. My Schnitzel came with a garnish salad that had olive oil drizzled on it. No sweet mayonaisse in sight.

I guess the fuss is, for the price of a sandwich, burger, ribs...etc at Dukes, you can get 2 entrees at Success. Dukes has them on pizza though, but I do think that is the only thing that is a better value, but Dukes breads and pizza always give me reflux.

For now Success has been good to me and I will be going back.