Airport taxi's (again)

lowprofile

To avoid any misunderstanding I should make it clear that I have no sympathy for the transport prices in Phuket which is as it is I believe because the Government in Phuket get squeezed between their monetary interests and their obligation to the public. The drivers merely use the opportunity to charge high prices as long as they can, it will stop one day. But maybe not before the "spring" comes!

Now to finish where I started and as said return from Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi was with meter taxi. When I arrived in Bangkok I was curious about the airport link and took that from Suvarnabhumi to Phaya Thai and from there metered taxi to my hotel near Pin klao Bridge. If I remember correct the airport link was 45 or 50Thb (city line) and the taxi from Phaya Thai to my hotel was 77 Thb.

So a two way travel with airport link and taxi would be approximately 260 Thb.

The distance from Pin Klao bridge to Suvarnabhumi is 38Km and the distance from Phuket airport to Samkong is 31Km.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night a taxi meter from HKT to Chalong (near Wine Connection) cost me 655+100=755 !

"Old" price was around 400-450 (total).

I can get a pre-booked, brand new, Toyota Commuter to do the same trip @ THB 900. It will be

waiting for me at arrival and offer much more comfort and safety than the worn down taxi meter,

with no seat belts in the back, that I ended up in last night.

Taxi Meter Phuket - never again ! What a shame !

• Like 1

From hkt to pahklok yesterday 500thb.

Guess my timing was off . Arrived at the taxi counter with a few hundred chinese behind me.

No meter. No payment at the counter.

Supply and demand in effect.

Smiled when the driver gave me his card and said you can call me direct next time.

Last night a taxi meter from HKT to Chalong (near Wine Connection) cost me 655+100=755 !

"Old" price was around 400-450 (total).

I can get a pre-booked, brand new, Toyota Commuter to do the same trip @ THB 900. It will be

waiting for me at arrival and offer much more comfort and safety than the worn down taxi meter,

with no seat belts in the back, that I ended up in last night.

Taxi Meter Phuket - never again ! What a shame !

It's only going to get more and more expensive.

The last time I went to the airport I paid 600 baht. It will probably be 700 or 750 baht next time.

Yet another "donation" to the already super rich "influential people" on Phuket.

I am really looking forward to all the stories from the Phuket expats using the new bus service.

I will not be using the bus. Unfortunately, the service has not been allowed to run to its fullest potential, so will most likely fail.

Also, the tuk-tuks will ensure the failure of the service by colluding and charging everyone with a suitcase, double the price, to get them from the bus stop to their hotel, thus, negating any savings from taking the bus.

You can bang on about how affordable transport is here all you like, but until public transport, particularly between the beaches, is cheaper, comparable, or only slightly more expensive than hiring a motorbike for a day, you will continue to see traffic, accidents, injuries and death on the roads here, and there lays the true cost of having no proper public transport here on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

I am really looking forward to all the stories from the Phuket expats using the new bus service.

You dont have to be Einstein to understand that it will never succeed as a viable alternative to the mafia taxi companies .except maybe for a few as an airport -patong and vice-versa service for the single traveller.

Even the operator knows this, as he said...;

"Most tourists are expected to continue to take taxis and limousines on arrival on Phuket.

Many of the passengers are expected to be locals making short trips."

I t;hink the real irony is that the tuk tuk's of Patong (and Kata/Karon in particular) are actually missing out on business as the buses are not doing hotel specific drop offs, and probably 80% at least of passengers would require a tuk tuk/taxi to get them from the bus drop off point to their accommodation. The tuk tuk associations should be demanding the buses go to their towns, not threatening to blockade them. The loss of custom, and the real losers, would be to the airport taxis/limousines.

• Like 1

I t;hink the real irony is that the tuk tuk's of Patong (and Kata/Karon in particular) are actually missing out on business as the buses are not doing hotel specific drop offs, and probably 80% at least of passengers would require a tuk tuk/taxi to get them from the bus drop off point to their accommodation. The tuk tuk associations should be demanding the buses go to their towns, not threatening to blockade them. The loss of custom, and the real losers, would be to the airport taxis/limousines.

Not at all, if as i posted above from the operator is correct..;

"Most tourists are expected to continue to take taxis and limousines on arrival on Phuket.

If so the tuk tuks are sure to ''fire up'' against the service [iMO]

Not at all, if as i posted above from the operator is correct..;

If so the tuk tuks are sure to ''fire up'' against the service [iMO]

I agree that could be a problem, but easily resolved by having the actual drop off points at locations that wouldn't be that convenient to short trippers, i.e. on the outskirts of Patong/Kata/Karon, with a dedicated area for tuk tuks/taxis, same as any bus station.

Or you can catch the big bus for 120 baht. The big bus is the savior of phuket public transport woes. The owner of the company expects to make a 70% profit pff every customer (source cannot be mentioned here).

So I am really really interested in some expat bus experience threads here in the future.

Or you can catch the big bus for 120 baht. The big bus is the savior of phuket public transport woes. The owner of the company expects to make a 70% profit pff every customer (source cannot be mentioned here).

So I am really really interested in some expat bus experience threads here in the future.

Hey Ivan why don't you spend a day or 2 riding the bus to and fro and report back yourself.

• Like 2

And l know that all the posters in this forum wont use it either. It will fail mainly because no expats will use it. But we will continue to hear the expat community moaning about no public transport for the next decade on TV

• Like 1

Dont you think the public transport workers have a right to complain when they are the same price as bangkok taxis? They are amongst the cheapest in the world. And can you back up your 'facts' about Phuket tourists with any actual data? Like a newspaper clipping or a copy of a survey (s)

Our visitors do not complain to local authorities, they vote with they valets.

To get cheap transportation is great. To have a feeling that I have been screwed is not.

And how exactly are they getting screwed? Its less than 20baht a kilometer to get to the airport. Same price as Bangkok

They are getting screwed because the taxi orginizations maintain a monopoly, keeping the fares artificially high, through threats of or actual violence. The official fare is 700-800B to the beaches now. A fare that rivals some of the most expensive developed countries in the world and is 3-4 times higher than other parts of Thailand. I have had several customers staying with us tell me they are having to pay a lot more. 1800 to 4000B. I get the same story every time. Taxi touts at the airport have binders with maps inside which show each area and the fare. Kata says 1800B.

I stand by my beleifs rolleyes.gif even if it is 390 baht then its still not half

Never let facts get in the way of a good opinion, or belief. tongue.png

Guys, many of us have been round and round with Irish Ivan under this and his previous identities. You can prove things 6 ways to Sunday, after which it just ends up at "You need to find something worthwhile to complain about" or similar. There is no point in arguing with this man. Believe me.

• Like 2

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10014474/Most-expensive-airport-transfers-revealed.html

There it is!!! Its 6 pound for an 18km journey from Suwanabhumi to the city center. So PIA is over twice that distance, this makes it about 14pound...14 pound into Thai baht is 644 baht.

I really dont see why the expats of Phuket are whipped up into a frenzy about this, everyone keeps harping on about the fares in Bangkok, Ive just got it first hand here. Its about 156 baht difference, 5 lousy dollars. Who cares?? I know the tourists dont.

Have a look at the other capital cities in this article, now that will make you squeal.

Also there is this little thing called inflation or cost of living rises, its about 4-5% in most countries. So we can do the maths and safely say it will be about 100-150 baht more in 2 to 3 years time. In 10 years it will have doubled, get used to it chaps, thats life! Statistics prove they are up there with the cheapest in the world! smile.png

If you dont like taxi prices then drive your Honda Dream up to the Airport, Most of the elderly expats here wouldnt leave Phuket as they have retirement vias. Guys who travel for work reasons get re-imbursed. Who does that leave?

The taxi / Tuk tuk drivers are the backbone of the transport industry in Phuket and they should be applauded for keeping the fares at a reasonable level compared to the rest of the world, keep up the good work lads!

If the tourists do not care as you claim, then why are taxis/tuktuks repeatedly the main complaint in hotel surveys?

Yes, the taxis/tuktuks are the backbone of the transport industry because they continue to use violence and intimidation to keep anyone else from competing with them, such as public buses to the airport and minibuses from hotels and tour agencies. If the tourists (who are the backbone of all business on Phuket) are so happy with the taxi/tuktuk service, then why is it necessary for the taxi/tuktuks to illegally block all competition? Would the taxi loving tourists not continue to use taxis leaving potential buses empty?

Dont you think the public transport workers have a right to complain when they are the same price as bangkok taxis? They are amongst the cheapest in the world. And can you back up your 'facts' about Phuket tourists with any actual data? Like a newspaper clipping or a copy of a survey (s)

You have to not read any news source ever to not know what tourists are saying about Phukets airport taxi's and taxi's in general. But here is a quote I just happen across in an article I was just reading. "''Taxis to get from Rawai to Patong were just too expensive,'' Ashleigh said. ''It is 700 baht to get from Rawai to Patong. "

I stand by my beleifs rolleyes.gif even if it is 390 baht then its still not half

Never let facts get in the way of a good opinion, or belief. tongue.png

Guys, many of us have been round and round with Irish Ivan under this and his previous identities. You can prove things 6 ways to Sunday, after which it just ends up at "You need to find something worthwhile to complain about" or similar. There is no point in arguing with this man. Believe me.

I believe you for sure

Every one makes a point of not feeding the troll, maybe he'll get bored and go away...bah.gif

• Like 1

And l know that all the posters in this forum wont use it either. It will fail mainly because no expats will use it. But we will continue to hear the expat community moaning about no public transport for the next decade on TV

I certainly would never use a public transport system here.

However, I certainly would like there to be a complete and efficient bus and train system on the Island for the locals (and tourists) to use to help alleviate the insanity on the roads!

I (selfishly), would like to enjoy my motoring experiences without having to spend hours in traffic jams, or worrying if I'll be t/boned by a couple of 12yo school boys on a speeding moped, or having a head-on with a family of five on a bike going the wrong way, or helping yet another drunk, idiot tourist out of a ditch!

A complete transport system would eventually take a lot of these problems from the road as locals slowly learn it is better and cheaper to use a bus than buy another Honda.

However, I certainly would like there to be a complete and efficient bus and train system on the Island for the locals (and tourists) to use to help alleviate the insanity on the roads!

I (selfishly), would like to enjoy my motoring experiences without having to spend hours in traffic jams, or worrying if I'll be t/boned by a couple of 12yo school boys on a speeding moped, or having a head-on with a family of five on a bike going the wrong way, or helping yet another drunk, idiot tourist out of a ditch!

A complete transport system would eventually take a lot of these problems from the road as locals slowly learn it is better and cheaper to use a bus than buy another Honda.

I agree a public transport system could help. But as I notice around my neighborhood, while I'm out walking my dog, the locals get on their motorbike to go to the local mom and pop shop less than a block from their house. I see some of the Thai family members in my compound ride a motorbike from one end to the other and it's only about 50 meters or less. Since there hasn't been any public transit system here ever, I have my doubts that it would be accepted to most as they wouldn't have a clue how to use it. It would be nice to have the option though. Most of Thailand does have affordable public transit unlike Phuket...

I agree a public transport system could help. But as I notice around my neighborhood, while I'm out walking my dog, the locals get on their motorbike to go to the local mom and pop shop less than a block from their house. I see some of the Thai family members in my compound ride a motorbike from one end to the other and it's only about 50 meters or less. Since there hasn't been any public transit system here ever, I have my doubts that it would be accepted to most as they wouldn't have a clue how to use it. It would be nice to have the option though. Most of Thailand does have affordable public transit unlike Phuket...

"Most of Thailand does have affordable public transit unlike Phuket..."

This is very true, and i have lived in multiple cities /towns over a lot of Thailand, north of here, never to the south, but i figure the same applies there also.

Its exactly as you say in your post ..no matter how much affordable public transport is available its is human nature to use your own transport [and not just in LOS..i believe this happens worldwide] There is nothing more convenient than being able to use your own means of transport, when you need it to go exactly to where you need to go..

City dwellers are more likely to use public transport than urban dwellers,just because its easier to get around, but having lived in big cities myself i can say that this ease of getting around comes at a price also...crowds, waiting times, not going to exactly where you need to go to,etc,etc.

Nipping around on a bike especially is convenient,cheap, and mostly enjoyable [to me at least]

Public transport has never been and will never be as good and convenient as using my own vehical, and i dare say this applies to a whole lot of people.

Old Croc.."complete and efficient bus and train system on the Island for the locals (and tourists) to use to help alleviate the insanity on the roads!"

The problem is that the public transport modes that are there to supposedly alleviate the insanity on the roads more often simply adds to it...obnoxious ''professional''?? bus, van. and taxi drivers are far more insane than most regular road users..

Immagine anywhere on Phuket , but especially west coast with even more buses jamming up the already congested roads..a nightmare already.

No easy answer to this issue at all, mainly because of ;lack of prior planning in all respects.sad.png

Joe

Tell your customers to learn some negotiating skills or walk outside and grab 150 baht minivan that drops them to their hotel. Im just laughing about this as everyone here admits they wont use the new bus. But apparently this is the saviour of Phukets tourism industry. Why not support it? For me I couldnt care less I will travel in comfort and safety instead of hurtling down the roads from the airport by some mental bus driver on meth amphetamine. We all see the speeds these vans and busses do. At least when Im in a nice taxi I know the cars were designed to do 140-150. I normally throw the drivers a nice tip if they get me to Rawaii in less than 40mins. Where else in the world do you get service like that?

I understand the taxi fare policy of charging round trip price for a one voyage...

I also understand MY policy of NO TIPPNG the the driver as he is getting paid already for his empty return trip to his que...

To bad as some of the drivers really do deserve a tip or a cold red bull for good safe service but it is against my policy to tip...wai.gif

• Like 1

Joe

Tell your customers to learn some negotiating skills or walk outside and grab 150 baht minivan that drops them to their hotel. Im just laughing about this as everyone here admits they wont use the new bus. But apparently this is the saviour of Phukets tourism industry. Why not support it? For me I couldnt care less I will travel in comfort and safety instead of hurtling down the roads from the airport by some mental bus driver on meth amphetamine. We all see the speeds these vans and busses do. At least when I'm in a nice taxi I know the cars were designed to do 140-150. I normally throw the drivers a nice tip if they get me to Rawaii in less than 40mins. Where else in the world do you get service like that?

It's on our website and our guests, if they book in advance, get a welcome email before they arrive. Sadly one of the things we must included in that email is all the taxi scams running at the airport. But people that don't book in advance don't get the warning.

As for the minivan, it does not operate at all hours, and it usually diverts to a tour counter where our guests have been given the hard sale for tours, which competes with our tour counter, or told that they can't find our hotel, or "that area no good" or that our hotel is closed. Same happens with the taxi's too. Sometimes van and taxi drivers have dumped our guests on the side of the road at the opposite end of the beach telling them that they were only paid to take them to Kata, and now it's up to them to find their hotel. They then have to pay another 200B to get to us.

I have heard many, many other hotel and resort owners and managers saying the same thing.

Edited by NomadJoe