Interview with Abhisit: 'My wife threatened to divorce me if I do a deal on amnesty bill'

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is normal that my mum....

Does that mean his parents know that he is guilty or, that after all those years studying in England, his use of the language is still lacking?

Even if Abhisit is, let's say innocent, the court can make him guilty. That's of course the

worries of his parents..

We do not know the feeling of parents unless we become parents.

She don't care about he's murder charges !!?? If amnesty go thru this two person's will be nothing together Mr

Suthep the most arrogant person in Thailand.

Actually, I'd interpret the OP as her being supportive of her husband's refusal to bow to the threats, good for her !

And perhaps she doesn't think he's guilty of murder, whatever DSI/Tarit/Red-Shirts allege ?

• Like 2

After listening to Abhisit in a debate on the BBC, one suspects his grasp and usage of the English language is better than both yours or mine...

I can't see how you get from his parents being worrried about him, to them knowing he is guilty ..rolleyes.gif however I will concide that the English skills of the jouro who wrote this piece may be at a lower standard that that of the person he interviewed...

although there is a lot of political showboating in this piece.....If Abhibsit stands by what he has said about taking responsibility, if need be and not negotiating with the thugs in power to allow our man in dubai a free pass...well done to him, Thailand politics needs a few more like him....thumbsup.gif

>with whom he stands accused of ordering the killings of red-shirt demonstrators in 2010.

>"I'm now a regular visitor at the courts," Abhisit smiles, adding that he doesn't lose any sleep over it.

I'm no fan of either side of these scoundrels (red, yellow or white), but if quoted correctly the above comment comes across as a little crass for my taste.

Well if you are looking for the red shirts your belief will bring them out.

You really didn't say that much but they are so desperate that they will grab at straws.

If you forget about the color of the shirts and follow what has happened here in Thailand you would understand it better.

He knows it is just a ploy to justify What Thaksin paid the red shirts to do in Bangkok in 2010. He knows that the PTP is so useless all they can do is point fingers and hope the public dosen't notice the miserable failure that they are.

Abhist laughs because he knows it is not working the public is seeing through them and the PTP are to stupid to notice it.

• Like 1

After listening to Abhisit in a debate on the BBC, one suspects his grasp and usage of the English language is better than both yours or mine...

I can't see how you get from his parents being worrried about him, to them knowing he is guilty ..rolleyes.gif however I will concide that the English skills of the jouro who wrote this piece may be at a lower standard that that of the person he interviewed...

although there is a lot of political showboating in this piece.....If Abhibsit stands by what he has said about taking responsibility, if need be and not negotiating with the thugs in power to allow our man in dubai a free pass...well done to him, Thailand politics needs a few more like him....thumbsup.gif

>with whom he stands accused of ordering the killings of red-shirt demonstrators in 2010.

>"I'm now a regular visitor at the courts," Abhisit smiles, adding that he doesn't lose any sleep over it.

I'm no fan of either side of these scoundrels (red, yellow or white), but if quoted correctly the above comment comes across as a little crass for my taste.

Well if you are looking for the red shirts your belief will bring them out.

You really didn't say that much but they are so desperate that they will grab at straws.

If you forget about the color of the shirts and follow what has happened here in Thailand you would understand it better.

He knows it is just a ploy to justify What Thaksin paid the red shirts to do in Bangkok in 2010. He knows that the PTP is so useless all they can do is point fingers and hope the public dosen't notice the miserable failure that they are.

Abhist laughs because he knows it is not working the public is seeing through them and the PTP are to stupid to notice it.

Quote: "It's normal that mum and dad should be worried about me, but my wife [Pimpen Vejjajiva] is not worried at all. She strongly believes in my innocence," Abhisit said.

Does that mean his parents know that he is guilty or, that after all those years studying in England, his use of the language is still lacking?

stupid post.

• Like 2

Elected representatives should not let their policies be determined by family members - wife or brother!

Many of the world's political leaders are and have been influenced in thier decision making by thier wives and/or other family members.

Edit: Grammar.

You should probably also revisit this edit tongue.png

I is sorry Gov, I aint as edumacated as overs is, how many lashins will that be today?

This is not a surprise at all, he was always told by others what to do. Abhisit was only a puppet for the military. He never made any decisions by himself, but a PM who was an elite british academic provided something that the military junta lacked in their own men.

Perhaps this academic training has led to his downfall that he finds himself in now, taking the fall for the military's own crimes. Tough luck pretty boy. Is your British education going to save you?

If former prime minister Abhisit would be British his career would have long since terminated

No sniper in any professional Army 'takes out' his fellow countrymen with out clear instruction from the top.

Unfourtunatly Prime Minister Abhisit was at 'the top at the time' of those executions whilst orchesrating events from the Barracks of the Eleventh Infranty in Bangkok.

"No sniper in any professional Army 'takes out' his fellow countrymen with out clear instruction from the top."

Who claims the RTA is a professional army with World class standards of behavior. LOL! One 'straw man' down.

"Unfourtunatly Prime Minister Abhisit was at 'the top at the time' of those executions whilst orchesrating events from the Barracks of the Eleventh Infranty in Bangkok."

Since when has the RTA been under civilian control? Another 'straw man' down.

Indyuk, your case would be better made if you used facts relevant to Thailand and not mythical supposition.

This is not a surprise at all, he was always told by others what to do. Abhisit was only a puppet for the military. He never made any decisions by himself, but a PM who was an elite british academic provided something that the military junta lacked in their own men.

Perhaps this academic training has led to his downfall that he finds himself in now, taking the fall for the military's own crimes. Tough luck pretty boy. Is your British education going to save you?

If former prime minister Abhisit would be British his career would have long since terminated

No sniper in any professional Army 'takes out' his fellow countrymen with out clear instruction from the top.

Unfourtunatly Prime Minister Abhisit was at 'the top at the time' of those executions whilst orchesrating events from the Barracks of the Eleventh Infranty in Bangkok.

So why weren't British PMs careers terminated when the army were shooting Irishmen in Northern Ireland.

These were their countrymen after all.

• Like 1

I take issue with two of Abhisit's statements:

1.'My wife threatened to divorce me if I do a deal on amnesty bill'

This shows a weak personality and weak political convictions. It can also be interpreted as: attempting to defuse some of the fallout due Abhisit, if Thaksin comes back in the future.

2. However, the deaths of those 99 people during the 2010 political violence have returned to haunt him, and the case threatens to destroy his political future. "It depends on the people. If they find me guilty, I will have to take responsibility," he said.

Abhisit is guilty if he actually gave the order to use live ammo, not if the people find him guilty.

Not at all IMO:

1 shows a humbling personality which is always a good sign in a politician. He also did not state his conviction at all in that quite - merely his wife's conviction, or threat thereof at least. It could, theoretically, be interpreted as anything, if required, as can any but the most emphatic statement - it certainly does not clearly diffuse anything of the sort however - indeed it pretty much infers the opposite!

2. Purile semantics - and of course incorrect legally also. He is guilty if proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law and upheld by all higher courts. Hence the term "innocent until proven guilty".

So why weren't British PMs careers terminated when the army were shooting Irishmen in Northern Ireland.

Were they? Eire is not British and there are many Irishmen (i.e. from Eire) that live in NI. Indeed, there was quite a concerted emigration from Eire to NI during the latter years of the troubles to bolster Sinn Fein and disrupt the Orange processions.

Anyway, it was a silly point you were replying to - many times in British history commanders have given orders without consent from above (indeed, depending on circumstances they can do just that!). Pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails, grenade launchers, and conventional firearms were all employed (and seen on film) against the army - I would suggest it was the order from on high that was stopping the officers on the ground ordering return fire in the first place - and for many days at that.

• Like 2

Are you suggesting that the Thai army is professional? Do you think Sae Daeng was professional? Was he taking orders "from the top"?

The Brits had a shoot to kill policy and clear rules of engagement. To Indy, in Britain the army would be on the chopping block for any actions of this sort, legally.

The politicians would be in trouble at the ballot box.

Were they? Eire is not British and there are many Irishmen (i.e. from Eire) that live in NI. Indeed, there was quite a concerted emigration from Eire to NI during the latter years of the troubles to bolster Sinn Fein and disrupt the Orange processions.

Anyway, it was a silly point you were replying to - many times in British history commanders have given orders without consent from above (indeed, depending on circumstances they can do just that!). Pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails, grenade launchers, and conventional firearms were all employed (and seen on film) against the army - I would suggest it was the order from on high that was stopping the officers on the ground ordering return fire in the first place - and for many days at that.

The were many Irishman involved in the troubles in Northern Ireland but many were born in NI and were fighting because they wanted the six northern counties to become part of Eire. They were British if if they didn't want to be and some are now in government. Eire didn't want the terrorists either which is why if they were on the run some went to the USA. Many also hide in Eire as well.

Rules of engagement are sometimes flexible to allow commanders on to ground to change tactics quickly.

In the case of 2010 in Thailand I think the ROEs were fairly clear but of course it doesn't mean they were stuck to.

Edited by kimamey

Highly educated by any standards

Mark Abhisit Vejjajiva was born in Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England. He studied in England from the age of 11, where he attended Eton. Abhisit earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy, politics and economics (PPE), first class honors, and a master's degree in economics from St John's College, Oxford.

Mark Abhisit Vejjajiva was born in Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England. He studied in England from the age of 11, where he attended Eton. Abhisit earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy, politics and economics (PPE), first class honors, and a master's degree in economics from St John's College, Oxford.

Better educated than 95% of TV finest posters and 100% of TV finest red apologists me thinks...biggrin.png

• Like 2

There is still no doubt whatsoever that the only one responsible for all the deaths and injuries caused by the red shirt riots is the paymaster and organizer of the whole fiasco who arranged it for his own benefit none other than Dr Thaksin.

While saying that the red leaders must also take the blame for all the deaths, injuries and destruction that took place after they had turned down the offer of an early election.

If they had accepted that offer, as they did to start with, then turned it down (no doubt on orders) and gone home peacefully at that stage there would have been no need for farther action by the Govt or army unless they were attacked again.

Abhisit was only reacting to a situation not of his own making as was his job as PM.

In my opinion, for what little its worth, he was far to soft on them and should have let the army round them up and kick them all out as soon as the first grenade was launched.

I find it laughable to see the reds on one hand saying the army was controlling Abhisit and then on the other saying he was giving them orders.

You cant have it both ways.

As a standing the standing PM at the time, Abhibsit has the mandate to take what ever steps are deemed required to quell civil unrest/terrorism...so the only question that can be asked in a court is where the steps taken excessive ?....considering there were rockets being fired, buildings being torched etc etc...IMHO the steps taken were warranted and if anything restrained...the Red shirts were given multiple instructions to stop doing what they were doing and didnt disperse...accountablity on this should be on the red shirt leaders as well

Better educated than 95% of TV finest posters and 100% of TV finest red apologists me thinks...biggrin.png

I beg to differ that he was 'better educated' at Oxford(!).... but those degrees are very impressive.

Highly educated by any standardsMark Abhisit Vejjajiva was born in Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England. He studied in England from the age of 11, where he attended Eton. Abhisit earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy, politics and economics (PPE), first class honors, and a master's degree in economics from St John's College, Oxford.

Better educated than 95% of TV finest posters and 100% of TV finest red apologists me thinks...:D
I beg to differ that he was 'better educated' at Oxford(!).... but those degrees are very impressive.

Bamboo.... We're you at Cambridge by any chance?

Ahhh... the Nation shows its clear political affiliations again. Right from the first para: "....working diligently at Parliament and the Democrat Party headquarters" (i.e., painting the picture of a tragic figure who's always worked hard for the people). I need to clear my stomach in the bathroom...

Highly educated by any standardsMark Abhisit Vejjajiva was born in Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England. He studied in England from the age of 11, where he attended Eton. Abhisit earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy, politics and economics (PPE), first class honors, and a master's degree in economics from St John's College, Oxford.

Bamboo.... We're you at Cambridge by any chance?

555 my thought exactly :D

I dunno if he can compete with the bird in office who went to Kentucky State University and then sat in a few unqualified positions thanks to family nepotism! haha

IF you have ever served in the military, which I doubt, you obey the orders of your superior of WHATEVER rank and NOT necessarily from instructions at the top.

NO serving soldiers will say to their commanders, sorry, I can't obey that order as I am waiting to the top man to tell me personally.

However that doesn't fit in with your ideas as it reality and not a computer game.

Stick to being an bar stool warrior and please try to get the facts correct before you post drivel.

I dont give a rats a---s about any of the color coded PhueaDemoThai pond scum. They are only concerned with stuffing their pockets and pushing this country back to the 19th century.

And if their pockets are already stuffed, then they'll enact whatever draconian laws are necessary to keep the populace exactly where they want them, uneducated, misinformed, full of superstitous nonsense, and socially blind to their self created delusions.

Billd766. Well said, but you are addressing Indyuk and Time Traveller both of whom lack any credibility when it comes to sensible discussion.

And I agree with you I doubt very much if either of them have done any military service.

Billd766. Well said, but you are addressing Indyuk and Time Traveller both of whom lack any credibility when it comes to sensible discussion.

And I agree with you I doubt very much if either of them have done any military service.

Well I did my 25 years and got my knees brown.

It gave me a whole different outlook on life that I still use today.