Seeking SAFE Visa-Run Company

EBlair48

Ok, well than you very much to those who offered answers.

The K.. folks were very helpful , excellent English on the mobile number on site. He admitted and he could not guarantee the drivers adherance to speed limits. He admitted to many many complaints of this.

He did recommend I NOT take the VIP (THB 1800 )which needs to arrive by 10 : 30 whereas the (1500) regular bus yeah, all mini vans now ) has until 11; 30 .

So that may be of help to others seeking safer options.

He also suggested driving , 10 hours minimum driving in one day. Ugh, I was looking forward to a day off reading and snoozing on a freezing cold double decker bus..

I cannot take 2 days for this.

In fact having to do this run at all is.....

Another thread.

The one I mentioned TVR (phuket-visarun.com) is a mini bus that usually is a full mini bus. Its 1500thb but included a small snack on the ride there, burma visa fees, boat ride to burma, and free lunch after getting back from the boat. Its usually about 10-11hrs but its air conditioned. You leave in the morning and come back in the evening. Not sure where you are getting the 2 days from if you just going to ranong.

Dont drive there... seriously.. for one its more expensive but then you have to worry about organizing a boat and then the $10USD burma fee... If you really want to drive, your better off going to the andaman club and maybe spending a night there. Just in gas alone if you drive yourself you probably looking at around 2000thb.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used this to my one and only visarun but my father in law has used them now for maybe 7 years to Myanmar / Burma.

Mike's Bikes and Car Rent

(link to map)

http://goo.gl/maps/3D54f

Neither of us experienced silly over takings, speeding... One of the safest feelings in a car in Thailand. But this is just my experience.

Im guessing you fell asleep...

But in all seriousness... I have been doing the Ranong run for about 2 years now and I never once felt unsafe. Yes they do drive fast at times but they always know what they are doing. They drive the same route nearly every day.

Edited by bangarang

I am driving to Ranong on the 23rd from Surat, have a couple of aussie mates here then so its a good excuse to show them the country. There is no way I would do it in a mini van with a company as they all drive like maniacs, I see it every trip I do. Going to the Andaman club is an easy comfortable way to do it, its only 3 hours driving each way if you drive carefully so its not a big rush and the boats go over pretty regularly during the day.

Both my girlfriend and I did many visa runs with A&B visa company in Phuket. Ive tried a few others but this company was the best. Kept a good schedule, reliable and they gave us a bit of a discount since we both regularly used them. They do visa runs to both Penang and Ranong on different days of the week.

Address is:169/74 Soi Sansabai

Rat U Thit Rd., Patong, Phuket

There contact info is listed on their website.

http://ab-phuketvisarun.com/phuket-visa-run-to-penang.html

Edited by Buckeye21
  • Like 1

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any recommendations for a Phuket based visa run bus to Myanmar operated in a safe manner.

http://www.kbv-phuketvisarun.com/tag/thai-visa-run-to-ranong/

I had to do it. They were very good when I did it. They go to Penang also.

I agree. however I didn't mention them because again, they may put you on another companies van if they don't have enough people, or if their van is full. The different companies also share the pick-ups in the morning. One company will do the east coast, one the west coast so you may well be in another companies van until Krabi when they sort out what customers go with whom. Related story: I met my girlfriend on a visa run several months ago and after an hour of what I thought was a successful chat-up, they tried to split us up into different vans. I told them I wanted the two of us to stay together. "Ah, chop poo-ying, chai mai?" the lady who seemed in charge said to me. Eventually she agreed. Turned out to be the best visa run I have ever had. :)

The absolute worst in my experience is TVR. A wrote a letter to them once about the particularly crazy driver nearly killed us all twice. Two weeks later they rolled one of their vans sending several visa runners to the hospital. Luckily all survived. The driver was doing the exact same thing I complained about, overtaking on a curve when a car was coming the other way.

I have a 1 year non B now and I visa run on my bike to Ranong every 90 days. If I have to go to an embassy or consulate I try to fly. I have never tried to ride to Penang consulate, but I have ridden to Sepang raceway outside KL, so maybe next time I will ride to Penang.

At least see to it you go with the company you actually booked with. A customer I booked the trip for waited at the parking lot in downtown Khao Lak where minivans/buses always stop. A van labelled visa something stopped a bit before the appointed time, my customer stepped forward, and the driver asking: "you go visa run? Yes? then you give me 1400 Baht" Customer: " But they said it was 1300 Baht". Driver" Eh....OK, you give me 1300 Baht". Ten minutes later I got a distressed phone call from a lady working for the company I had booked him with. One of the other companies had stolen a customer of theirs, and it wasn't the first time it had happened.

A lot of competition, and I have the impression there are players coming into the market and getting out of it continuously.

As far as driving style is concerned, anywhere on the Phuket - Ranong road I automatically slow down when I see a visa run approaching, allowing them to overtake me as quickly as possible. Their clients are in a hurry, having important business to attend to!

• Like 2

^ That's an excellent point, and really just illustrates how we are just fodder.

The two days stems from suggestions I drive, I was informed by the Visa company it takes about 5 hours, ( now I'm reading only three in a private car, driving like e a mini bus driver? ) I cannot drive 10 hours in one day, nor can I take two days to do this. Beyond absurd to force one year bisa holders to leave the country e very 90 days- how does this country get away with these policies? Oh yeah

Am starting to agree, catch a flight, but I'll spend the extra do it on Singapore Air. I can snooze and read.

F these BS immigration " laws" ( really just policies ) that are all about nickel and diming while exposing us to unnecessary risk and expense.

Ok, so I'll choose give my money to another country.

Thanks again for the responses.

Ok, well than you very much to those who offered answers.
The K.. folks were very helpful , excellent English on the mobile number on site. He admitted and he could not guarantee the drivers adherance to speed limits. He admitted to many many complaints of this.

He did recommend I NOT take the VIP (THB 1800 )which needs to arrive by 10 : 30 whereas the (1500) regular bus yeah, all mini vans now ) has until 11; 30 .

So that may be of help to others seeking safer options.

He also suggested driving , 10 hours minimum driving in one day. Ugh, I was looking forward to a day off reading and snoozing on a freezing cold double decker bus..
I cannot take 2 days for this.
In fact having to do this run at all is.....

Another thread.

The one I mentioned TVR (phuket-visarun.com) is a mini bus that usually is a full mini bus. Its 1500thb but included a small snack on the ride there, burma visa fees, boat ride to burma, and free lunch after getting back from the boat. Its usually about 10-11hrs but its air conditioned. You leave in the morning and come back in the evening. Not sure where you are getting the 2 days from if you just going to ranong.

Dont drive there... seriously.. for one its more expensive but then you have to worry about organizing a boat and then the $10USD burma fee... If you really want to drive, your better off going to the andaman club and maybe spending a night there. Just in gas alone if you drive yourself you probably looking at around 2000thb.

Edited by EBlair48

( now I'm reading only three in a private car, driving like e a mini bus driver? )

That was from post 33, where he said he was going from Surat (Thani), which is a lot closer to Ranong than Phuket. Hence the 3 hours rather than 5.

• Like 2

^ Thanks for that clarification. So 10 hours on Thai roads in one day is just too much, plus the time there...

Cannot believe business owners have to do this crap. I have two fulltime workers I pay over twice the minimum wage but noooooooo, have to pay four workers slave wages of minimum wage.

The immigration rules are unfair and unreasonable in every way- because "everyone cheats" according to the senior officer at Phuket Immigration. So one is penalized for honesty.

Edited by EBlair48

^ Thanks for that clarification. So 10 hours on Thai roads in one day is just too much, plus the time there...

Cannot believe business owners have to do this crap. I have two fulltime workers I pay over twice the minimum wage but noooooooo, have to pay four workers slave wages of minimum wage.

The immigration rules are unfair and unreasonable in every way- because "everyone cheats" according to the senior officer at Phuket Immigration. So one is penalized for honesty.

In that case your should have a Work Permit. With a WP you have no need to make visa runs, just apply for the one year extension each year. That seems fair to me.

I refuse to ride in a mini-van no matter who the driver is. For my last visa run to Ranong at New Year, I took a bus from the new bus station. When you get to Ranong a motorcycle taxi will take you to your hotel of choice. The next day I took a song-taew to the Andaman Club pier. I paid 800 Baht for the round trip ferry plus visa service. I bought some chocolate at duty free while waiting for my passport and the ferry back. I chose to stay another night in Ranong and soaked myself in the hot springs. I took the bus back to Phuket the next day. This is what I consider the safest and most civilized option to be, but it does consume more time.

• Like 1

In that case your should have a Work Permit. With a WP you have no need to make visa runs, just apply for the one year extension each year. That seems fair to me.

Not necessarily true. Many with a WP have a 1 year non B like me. 90 day visa runs are still required. In order to get the extensions you have to meet additional requirements such as age of the company, size of the company, number of Thai staff, and what taxes you are paying.

Edited by NomadJoe

Not necessarily true. Many with a WP have a 1 year non B like me. 90 day visa runs are still required. In order to get the extensions you have to meet additional requirements such as age of the company, size of the company, number of Thai staff, and what taxes you are paying.

Yes, I did say you need to apply for the extension and meet the criteria. But quite honestly most of the criteria must be met to obtain a WP in the first place. But I agree with your point.

Not to get into off -topic ...but I disagree

I do have a work permit and I do have a one year visa and I still only get 90 day entry as I don't pay four worker minimum wage. Instead I pay two workers over twice, plus a third part-timer but in hassle- the-foreigner- land, it doesn't count. I cannot employ minimum wage workers, I need skilled labor.

I was going to go with A& B, the nice lady was very reassuring, "Everyone loves our driver.." but scheduled tomorrow Thursday 18th and there are cautions out for all ships, and small boats warning. She is unconcerned by this and insist the boat will travel. And perhaps it will but not with me on it.

So, an expensive plane ride on a foreign airline that has the best chance of being safety minded. to the border for a stamp., and back. A B S U R D

Edited by EBlair48

Work permit requires only one full time Thai worker, at minimum wage.

( edit; clarify Thai worker)

Yes, I did say you need to apply for the extension and meet the criteria. But quite honestly most of the criteria must be met to obtain a WP in the first place. But I agree with your point.
Edited by EBlair48

I don't do many Visa Runs but i did one a few weeks ago in Ranong. I don't use the minivans etc as they are just too dangerous for obvious reasons. When i got to the pier the big boat was no longer running as i got there just after mid day on a Sunday. Never Ever Ever will i take a long tail boat over the border again. This is the closes i have ever felt to death due to the big waves in low season. Take every thing into account!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Went with A & B and thought Oh no, I'll miss it when the driver called me at 6: 30 and then at 6:35 , twice before the 6:40 pick up. I had to stop the scooter, take off my helmet to answer. Then the van did not have seat belts . However we just met another van, with seatbelts and a very safe driver named K Mook.

So,... The drive was the safest part of this. The unsafest was upon arrival and a toss up between the leptopirosos from rat piss everywhere, the 10 year old boys wielding long boat - head choppers swinging around mere feet from the incorrectly loaded boat, with only half enough life preservers visible, that almost rolled until a couple of British Navy lads re positioned the passengers- all for a border entry stamp.

O B S C E N E to make law abiding business owners do this BS.

Thanks for the responses. Hope this helps fellow travelers

It is also very doable just to take the public bus to Ranong and back, if you say "visa run" to one of the taxi drivers meeting you at Ranong bus station, he will know exactly where to take you. It is more time consuming, but it costs less, and might be less of a nerve wrecking experience than a racing minivan. Doing it this way should make a very early start.

Could be from personal experience having lived here for decades. They simply do not exist here. Rolling coffins....

It is also very doable just to take the public bus to Ranong and back, if you say "visa run" to one of the taxi drivers meeting you at Ranong bus station, he will know exactly where to take you. It is more time consuming, but it costs less, and might be less of a nerve wrecking experience than a racing minivan. Doing it this way should make a very early start.

I had a friend who did the visa run from Phuket to Malaysia and back. You go to Phuket town bus station. took a mini-van or coach bus to Hat Yai. It is possible that some tour companies may go from other parts of phuket directly to hat yai.

Then from hat yai, there are minibuses that go to the Malay border about every 20 min or so, not sure the frequency. And I don't know if you take the same one or catch a new one coming back to Hat yai. At the border, you walk over the walkway bridge yourself to/from Malay immigration turn-styles. The total cost is about 800+ baht round trip starting from Phuket Town and takes 18+ hours for all legs. At least it is cheaper.

But if minibus (regardless of destination) is too frightening, then maybe the plane is the ultimate option

I can concur that the minibus aggression mentality seems to be nationwide. Even if the trip is only 50km, that driver and/or company he works for attempts to do as many trips as possible = more money. Chumphon has TWICE daily trips to ranong visa run from Fame, and the morning driver is still gunning it, as he sometimes must still go onwards to the pier for those going to Koh Tao (I think). Sometimes the runs will have Lao/Cambodia/Burma nationals that need to border run also.

side question: why doesn't any company do a visa run at the Malaysian border and back from Phuket? Wouldn't it be a little longer but more straightforward? And each side has more than 1 person for departure and arrivals. And maybe a more comfortable bus or larger minibus could be used? There are no entry fees for most people.

Edited by 4evermaat

Malaysia is a grueling 10 hour drive, 20 hours , take two horrid days of 10 hour drives? Three days, jeez who can run a business like this ? Have to drop everything , leave workers idling unsupervised, for a border stamp on a one year visa?

perhaps the no fee status is the reason the MY border isn't used. Would be a plus for moving closer to My.

Heck, maybe just move to MY.

Oh yeah, adding the K B V van, and another passed us in a reckless manner. We arrived in plenty of time , but were delayed on the Thai side boat by someone on overstay without funds on hand .

All in all 14 hours of total time wasting, live threatening, funds sucking Thaiocracy.

FTBS !!

Actually, a super luxury bus, highly chilled with flicks on headphones, sanely driven with full facilities aboard, no stopping, maybe a couple of pick ups down the coast, two drivers in shifts, to the MY border and back , might be a good idea.

It could even have a bar..