Stopped by the BiB in the car , first for me

N47HAN

Next time prepare two or 3 red notes in your hand, hold them slightly beneath the bottom of the window after handing over your license. 9 times out of ten, they will slip the hand in, take the notes, give you your license back and you're on your way.

Don't specifically hold out the money to him or let your hand leave the resting against the door, as in, you can always claim it wasn't an offer to bribe. Just let the red colour be seen. Once he takes it, thank him loudly and begin winding the window up as you drive off.

Or, yea, you can fight it and waste a great deal of time. Tends to also end up more expensive as you found out.

Keep smiling. If he asks you to get out of the car during the daytime, you know you already made him wait too long before seeing any reds.

YMMV.

A thai friend only opens his window about 1 cm and puts 200 baht through...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very clear photo of my passport on my phone. It's easily enlarged on the phone and very readable. I've never been pulled over by police for anything, but I've used it at the bank before (twice actually) and they were okay with it. Also have photos of my visa page and 90 day check-in slip.

If I'm going off the island I carry my passport.

So, the bank photocopies your phone???? smile.pngsmile.png

Download photo from phone to bank's computer. Hit Print button.

I have a very clear photo of my passport on my phone. It's easily enlarged on the phone and very readable. I've never been pulled over by police for anything, but I've used it at the bank before (twice actually) and they were okay with it. Also have photos of my visa page and 90 day check-in slip.

Good point NKM - bank always copies my passport when I withdraw cash.

Really? They will let a foreign "computer" access to their network? Surely that's a security risk. It opens their network up to a virus and/or some spyware. What bank does this?

I must be doing something wrong, Living over 25 years on Phuket and stopped only once. ( about 15 years ago)

I only drive car and not a bike so maybe that helps to bring the average down.

Must be technically possible, but is that practical. Would the bank let you access their system and would you want to give access to you phone. But we are getting way off the OT

Maybe it's time to buy an iPod? I don't think they can fine you for your music on that... I guess I should make a copies of my passport and visa extension and put them in my vehicles.

iPod ? ugh. USB stick!

Ah so sorry, my stereo isn't USB compatible... But my 64GB iPod is.

Edited by Jimi007

Oh and the law states you must carry your passport with you at all times. It isnt just about id , its there for providing your visa details too .

No it doesn't, valid ID is required, passport may be requested and you have reasonable time to produce (at station).

As for VISA details, available from a police computer over the radio on giving your passport number, written on Thai driving license.

2 spot on poststhumbsup.gif

How did the policeman know that the copy CD was not a copy of a CD that you have purchased legally? If you own the original CD then I believe it is not illegal to copy it for your own use, the same as putting your own CDs onto an MP3 player (or a USB stick for the very modern amongst TV readers).

Anyway, just took a copy of my passport. Leaving Phuket shortly for a few weeks and with all the BS going on here lately I certainly won't miss the place.

Been here 4yrs drive a car and a bike, I have never been subjected to this so called tea money, only ever been stopped and fined twice, I was in the wrong both times! have carried my passport for the last 4yrs never been asked to produce it! It is in the same condition it was when I arrived here, never have to stop at checkpoints as they wave me through!! I would never try to hand the police money before they ask which in my case they never have apart from the two times I was in the wrong!

Been here 4yrs drive a car and a bike, I have never been subjected to this so called tea money, only ever been stopped and fined twice, I was in the wrong both times! have carried my passport for the last 4yrs never been asked to produce it! It is in the same condition it was when I arrived here, never have to stop at checkpoints as they wave me through!! I would never try to hand the police money before they ask which in my case they never have apart from the two times I was in the wrong!

Phuket is very different to what it was 4 years ago.

I'm sure corruption has got bigger over those 4 years, not smaller.

I stood corrected by stevenls post about my assumption of the reason for holding your passport to show a valid visa to be checked upon request. Guess some of you missed my reply to that.

This was only meant to be a light hearted OP.

Guess I forgot I posted on TV.

Ill try with my next post.

But I really have managed to find the only fire hydrant on Phuket ( i will let all the experts tell me theres loads after my OP )

• Like 1

I would not take much notice of these experts on dealing with the BIB. They do not have a handle on every province. I was stopped recently by the highway Police and despite having 5 year licence they still wanted to see my Passport. I asked them in Thai could they read English?, no but they wanted to see if "I stay Thailand too long".

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

D

Why on earth did you get out of the car and allow him to search it... crazy

Also your Thai license has your passport number on it (my does anyway)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't forget the BiB are police, when they order people out of the car they have to come out, (that applies to any country) if people refuse to come out of the car the BiB will force them out, and are angry, thus when entering the car for searching, they will then drop some narcotics inside the car and hold people responsible for it, they will then be arrested and prosecuted.

• Like 1

When police stop me I show them only my license. Never hand it over. And if they ask for passport, say you have but can't give.

If they want, they can call Immigration and ip police. The regular BiB don't have the authority to do copy right searches and also don't have the right to fine you for visa overstay.

I normally only open a few inches and do the wait game. Everytime, after a few mins, they let you go for other fishes.

The corruption in thailand don't bother me.Give him A couple red notes and on my way.It sounds like A toll to me.I'll do that every day.

I've never paid a thing in 8 years plus when stopped. I've only been stopped twice that I can remember in all those years anyway.

• Like 1

Ahhh Nathan we discussed this have a certified copy of your passport in the car lasts 10 years or however your passport lasts.

You have that nice new Fire Truck ohh sorry. Keep all your music on a 16GB small thingy it works,. Bless You see you when I get back from Canada. PS will tell you what the Highway Patrol are like!!!!

Pftt, we live in the iPod era. Who still uses CD's? Well, obviously the OP anyway.

I would have told him, "we go to station". At which time he would say "you go".

or possibly he would say, you sit there smartarse and wait 4 hours until I take you to the station and fine you twice once for being a smart arse and one for speaking Thaiengkish!....

Up to you!!! wai.gif

On the way to Yamu , as you turn right from the main road.

Wouldnt say i was letting myself in for being screwed. But yup didnt have my passport or cooy with me. So yes guess he could of got for me that. But my point was really just about the cds .

Never heard anyone being pulled on that and wasnt about to argue the toss for 1k as they are illegal and guessing going to the station would not of been the best of ideas :-)

Carrying a Thai drivers license is sufficient for a foreigner as the law states that foreigners must carry legal ID recognized in Thailand, actually carrying your passport is not required of you have a Thai issued ID or license (I travel domestically with my DL on airplanes and never carry my passport) but the CD scam is still sad. The 1000 baht may not bother you but now you have encouraged them to try it again with the next foreigner...

Got to agree with dogpoo.

17 years here driving bike & car daily and i have yet to pay a policeman a 'bribe' or tea money. Never been asked. But I have paid legitimate fines at the police station fine office for traffic offences.

I lived in Phuket for 2 years and stopped several times but laways showed DL and tax papers (and I wear a helmit) and never paid a fine. In Bangkok I get stopped every month (when there is no room to drive around the BIB and continue) for driving while white and almost never avoid having to pay the bogus 200 baht fine. Where you live has more to do with it than what you are or are not doing wrong... Phuket is full of scams but the police are worse in Bangkok.

Ahhh Nathan we discussed this have a certified copy of your passport in the car lasts 10 years or however your passport lasts.

You have that nice new Fire Truck ohh sorry. Keep all your music on a 16GB small thingy it works,. Bless You see you when I get back from Canada. PS will tell you what the Highway Patrol are like!!!!

"certified copy of your passport" - can you also get the music CD "certified" as a copy? :) :)

The requirement is to carry official identification and your Thai license is sufficient, you got stooged by the BiB !!!!

Yeah, no shit. You paid. I would have smiled and said "No pay," or "Phom mai jai luri, krup. Bai gup key pa lao." If he persists, say , still smiling, "Okay, lets go to the police station." At this point, he'll 99% of the time, just tell you to get on. If he calls your bluff, go to the police station. His time away from his highway post will cost him thousands in extorted fines.

With all due respect, you were a sucker.

When police stop me I show them only my license. Never hand it over. And if they ask for passport, say you have but can't give.

If they want, they can call Immigration and ip police. The regular BiB don't have the authority to do copy right searches and also don't have the right to fine you for visa overstay.

I normally only open a few inches and do the wait game. Everytime, after a few mins, they let you go for other fishes.

Your correct that the regular BIB can't fine you for overstay but they can and mostly will detain you for overstay and put you through the court system and after this hand you over to the immigration department for deportation.

But it is also true that you don't have to carry the passport with you as long you has a official recognized Thai ID with you and you can show your passport at the police station in a reasonable time frame.

Phuket is very different to what it was 4 years ago.

I'm sure corruption has got bigger over those 4 years, not smaller.

And that is assessment is based on you paying more corruption money now than you did 4 years ago?

Don't forget the BiB are police, when they order people out of the car they have to come out, (that applies to any country) if people refuse to come out of the car the BiB will force them out, and are angry, thus when entering the car for searching, they will then drop some narcotics inside the car and hold people responsible for it, they will then be arrested and prosecuted.

Sure, that happens all the time cheesy.gif

Im Curious to see how many people have responded by saying they would tell the Police that were not going to pay and "take me to the station"

In reality you are saying , yes I know I have illegal cds in my car but I dont care about that ! I dont need my passport so sod off , take me to the station.

So youve now made your point , they agree and say no fine for passport you can bring next week no problem .

Now they ask what about the illegal cds ?? What do you do then ?? Please tell.....

Maybe you could just say , well its ok everybody has them and who cares about a cd ?

Remember the Law here , should they choose to enforce it can be pretty severe , its the fact that they enforce as and when they choose that makes it seem the way it is.

To all you Gung Ho Cavaliers that will take on the police for the sake of a few $$$ I salute you . Me ? just easier to give them some dinner money if its my turn.