Stopped by the BiB in the car , first for me

N47HAN

Got more than once stopped with no T-shirt on driving a car from Police, never had a problem, never got an advise, never paid any fine for it,

only for the speeding I usually get stopped. tongue.png

But,:seems true: blink.png

http://www.loonylaws.com/world.htm

http://www.mindmeister.com/151681180/crazy-laws

http://azweird.com/travel/weird_traffic_laws_around_the_world-769.html

I hope it is true, but really, those links don't prove a thing, or are even not indication whether it is true or not.

Ok, just try it -stevenl-, drive with NO SHIRT stop at a Police Check Point and ask for it.rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got more than once stopped with no T-shirt on driving a car from Police, never had a problem, never got an advise, never paid any fine for it,

I hope it is true, but really, those links don't prove a thing, or are even not indication whether it is true or not.

Ok, just try it -stevenl-, drive with NO SHIRT stop at a Police Check Point and ask for it.rolleyes.gif

I'm saying I think and hope it is true, so why would I try that?

You questioned the LINKS, can prove them untrue in that way. tongue.png

Maybe I stop at my local Amphoe Police station and question them.coffee1.gif

You questioned the LINKS, can prove them untrue in that way. tongue.png

Maybe I stop at my local Amphoe Police station and question them.coffee1.gif

In am not saying the contents of the links is untrue, I am saying a source like 'loony laws' or 'a to z weird' is not exactly a reliable source for Thai traffic regulations, so deserve IMO no mention here on TV as a reliable source for this regulation. But I'm sure they're right sometimes :)

BTW, I would not trust an officer at the local amphur police station to know all details of the traffic laws here as well.

BTW, I would not trust an officer at the local amphur police station to know all details of the traffic laws here as well.

I would ask the Boss and not the young boy in brown!

You seem to be a difficult man and very difficult to satisfy! blink.png

More Papal than the Pope, as we say in my country!

Maybe we have to ask the Prime Minister to satisfy you. giggle.gif

I would believe, the boys in brown in a Amphoe station have a written book with all Thai traffic laws!

That should be enough! thumbsup.gif

I would ask the Boss and not the young boy in brown!

You seem to be a difficult man and very difficult to satisfy! blink.png

More Papal than the Pope, as we say in my country!

Maybe we have to ask the Prime Minister to satisfy you. giggle.gif

I would believe, the boys in brown in a Amphoe station have a written book with all Thai traffic laws!

That should be enough! thumbsup.gif

More papal than the pope has nothing to do with this, would be a saying for a different subject. I just don't believe everything I read. I fact, I would guess that on many websites, including this one and the ones you mention, less than 50% of what is written is actually true.

So for this subject doubting thomas would be a better saying.

Edited by stevenl

I meant above with my last posting.

Maybe you can tell that to the next Policeman who stops you for any violation of the traffic law

and make him known that you do not believe his expertise and knowledge of the traffic laws, so you maybe, did not make any offense at all! tongue.png

Oh and the law states you must carry your passport with you at all times. It isnt just about id , its there for providing your visa details too .

No, not correct. You must show it in a reasonable amount of time, so producing copy and showing real passport later is accepted.

A mod could confirmed that? Excuse me Stevenl smile.png not I doubt your saying, I certainly do not want to carry my passport everywhere all the time so I have a photo on my iPhone, but not sure its OK ? On the other end I never been asked for my passport, I was fined once for no helmet, with maybe 50 people Thai and Farangs alike, but was not asked neither for license nor for passport??

Lots of confusion on this law, even amongst the Thai police. I have looked up the laws and have posted them previously here.

There are actually two laws the govern this. One is the Thai ID card act which requires everyone in the kingdom to carry legal identification and provide that legal identification when asked by "competent official". This can be accomplished with a Thai ID Card, a Thai drivers license, or a passport. The second law is the Immigration law which requires foreigners to be able to show they have entered the Kingdom legally. The law says nothing about carrying your passport on you.

Here are two relevant Issues and Answers segments from PG on the subject.

"It was reported in newspapers recently that on August 16 the police raided a nightclub popular with foreigners, testing more than 300 people there for drugs, and then fining many for not carrying their passports.

They prevented customers from leaving the venue and administered urine tests on 373 people. After failing to find anyone testing positive, the police rounded up 104 “criminals” and took them to the police station for not having their passports with them.

In most countries police advise tourists to keep their valuables and passports in the hotel safe and not to leave them on the beach while swimming. But not having your passport with you at all times is a criminal offence in Thailand, so what should I do when I go to the beach for a swim?

Do the Thai Tourist Police recommend that visitors to Thailand leave their passports on the beach while swimming? Or take the passport for a swim as well? Or perhaps not swim at all when in Thailand?

Thomas Jefferson Wednesday, September 22, 2004 3:07:23 PM

“The law here is that all foreign tourist must have their passports to hand when the police ask for them. Tourists being in possession of their passports is similar to Thai people having identity cards – they must keep their ID cards with them for when police want to check their identify.

However, if you are worried about losing your passport you can make a photocopy and carry that instead. At present we have problems in this country with international criminals, so inspection of passports is essential for safety and security reasons.

When urine tests are conducted in Bangkok it is normal to check passports. I believe that many foreigners are happy to cooperate because they understand that we are serious about prevention of drug use.

When police check for passports and people don’t have them, they must pay a fine.”

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 3:07:23 PM Pol Lt Col Panudej Sookwong, Superintendent of Phuket Tourist Police.

If you are worried about losing your passport, you can leave it in the hotel and have the front office manager or another person in authority sign the photocopy and write his name and position on it to verify it is an accurate copy.”

Friday, December 3, 2004 11:44:40 AM Pol Lt Col Panudej Sookwong, Superintendent of the Phuket Tourist Police.

“The Gazette notes that the “photocopy rule” appears not to apply everywhere. Pol Maj Phanthana Nutchanart, of the Bangkok Investigation Tourist Police (Division 2) stresses:

Tourists must carry their passports with them at all times. This is an international rule. A passport is like an ID card; if you don’t have it with you, the police may arrest you.

It’s like showing a driving license to the police – if you show them a copy, there is no way for them to tell whether it is genuine or fake.

Similarly, it is impossible to present a copy of your passport when cashing travelers’ checks. You have to show the bank the real thing.”
Friday, December 3, 2004 11:44:40 AM Phuket Gazette

These two quotes from the Tourist Police seem contradictory, but note that they are both specifically referring to tourists (who generally cannot obtain a Thai DL), and states that "it's like an ID card" which is a reference to the National ID Card act which, again, requires anyone in the Kingdom to carry identification at all times. But the problem is, if you don't have a Thai DL, then carrying a copy of the passport alone only fulfills the requirements of the immigration laws, not of the National ID Card Act. You can still be cited under the National ID card act if you carry a passport copy only and have no Thai DL. That is what the Bangkok Maj. is referring to.

Edited by NomadJoe

It is quite funny that someone would actually believe driving a car with no shirt on is against the law. BIB are having a laugh at your expense I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Once was severely berated by a prize a---hole BIB when pulled over one time for "not wearing a shirt!!!."

In my own car on a trip to Laos..not in a shopping centre, or even a gas station...just pulled me over at a drive through slowly type checkpoint...

Unbelievably angry guy and he didn't want to hear anything from the wife..i put it on just to please him and off we went ...bizzare!!w00t.gif

It's against the law in Thailand for a man to drive a car topless.

The policeman was actually doing his job correctly.

But legal for a woman?

It is quite funny that someone would actually believe driving a car with no shirt on is against the law. BIB are having a laugh at your expense I'm afraid.

Yeh, i'd really like to see proof of this ''law''...even if it were, the fact that i was pulled over for such a serious offence while hundreds of cars were passing by at high speed and probably breaking all sorts of real laws was ..as i said bizarre!

• Like 1

Nomadjoe: It is quite funny that someone would actually believe driving a car with no shirt on is against the law. BIB are having a laugh at your expense I'm afraid.

andreandre: Yeh, i'd really like to see proof of this ''law''...even if it were, the fact that i was pulled over for such a serious offence while hundreds of cars were passing by at high speed and probably breaking all sorts of real laws was ..as i said bizarre!

I am curious as well. I guess I am not so much surprised by the law as I am surprised I have never heard of it. My Filipino GF claims the Phils has the same law. I have submitted a query at Issues and Answers at PG. We may hear something in a week or two.

• Like 1

Ok, just try it -stevenl-, drive with NO SHIRT stop at a Police Check Point and ask for it.Posted Image

Yeh, i'd really like to see proof of this ''law''...even if it were, the fact that i was pulled over for such a serious offence while hundreds of cars were passing by at high speed and probably breaking all sorts of real laws was ..as i said bizarre!

Driving or walking in shops etc without a shirt on is all about respect and consideration for others, the police officer who stopped you did not want to see you without a top on and rightly so!! There are too many inconsiderate people now days who have no thought for others and no respect for the customs of the country they are in!!

Driving or walking in shops etc without a shirt on is all about respect and consideration for others, the police officer who stopped you did not want to see you without a top on and rightly so!! There are too many inconsiderate people now days who have no thought for others and no respect for the customs of the country they are in!!

Ahhh..yeh.. righto...facepalm.gifw00t.gif

EDIT..well this is the second time you've had a go [first time patongphil had me convinced you weren't serious]..thats fine, thats your opinion.

I have never gone anywhere in public view sans shirt,but in the privacy of my own car with tinted windows i do ,on occasion ....that has nothing to do with respect for others and/or customs of this country..dont even get me started on the ''customs'' of this country..thats another issue, but as are many ''customs'' here, they are applied often at random.

Edited by andreandre

EDIT..well this is the second time you've had a go [first time patongphil had me convinced you weren't serious]..thats fine, thats your opinion.

I have never gone anywhere in public view sans shirt,but in the privacy of my own car with tinted windows i do ,on occasion ....that has nothing to do with respect for others and/or customs of this country..dont even get me started on the ''customs'' of this country..thats another issue, but as are many ''customs'' here, they are applied often at random.

I hate with a vengeance people who walk about or drive there motorbike and car with no top on, the beach is the only place where I find this acceptable, it's not so much about customs but more about the individuals consideration and respect for others, everyone is different, glad I am different in a good way!!

Corruption is the cancer of Thailand and many other developing countries. It always raises an eyebrow and a few laughs when at this level, oh I just pay the police for a motoring offence / no work permit etc.

Soon you get used to it, I mean its only a laugh isn't it, BIB need the money.I used to think like that.

I then witnessed an expat so drunk he couldn't stand up, then watched as his GF paid 8k to the police on the spot.why?

To go home sober up and report to station next morning,this is after running down two Burmese guys killing one outright.

The problem with corruption is to happen at low level, it's allowed /ignored at high level.Therfore ingrained in all aspects of life.

To support corruption in Thailand is to be part of killing the country you love.

• Like 2

I hate with a vengeance people who walk about or drive there motorbike and car with no top on, the beach is the only place where I find this acceptable, it's not so much about customs but more about the individuals consideration and respect for others, everyone is different, glad I am different in a good way!!

Your opinion...but i fail to see how a man driving in a car shirtless with tinted windows can attract so much ''hatred'' from you..maybe you have other deep seated ''issues'' coffee1.gif

Really has SFA to do with you IMO!!

On a bike or in full view..maybe to a degree, but to say " hate with a vengeance" wow..chill out ..there's a hell of a lot more real issues to hate in the LOS. don't you think?

Your opinion...but i fail to see how a man driving in a car shirtless with tinted windows can attract so much ''hatred'' from you..maybe you have other deep seated ''issues'' coffee1.gif

On a bike or in full view..maybe to a degree, but to say " hate with a vengeance" wow..chill out ..there's a hell of a lot more real issues to hate in the LOS. don't you think?

Maybe hate is the wrong word but I do dislike it immensely, if I see someone without a shirt on it paints a picture in my mind of the sort of person they might be, in my eyes someone who does this in public view other than a beach of course is inconsiderate, disrespectful and again in my eyes comes from a poor background, if you are in your car with the tinted windows up I suppose it's up to you, and yes there are many more issues in Thailand but that should not detract from something a person dislikes as much!!

Maybe hate is the wrong word but I do dislike it immensely, if I see someone without a shirt on it paints a picture in my mind of the sort of person they might be, in my eyes someone who does this in public view other than a beach of course is inconsiderate, disrespectful and again in my eyes comes from a poor background, if you are in your car with the tinted windows up I suppose it's up to you, and yes there are many more issues in Thailand but that should not detract from something a person dislikes as much!!

And no it has nothing to do with me, this is a forum where things are discussed!

• Like 1

I'm not sure where your country of origin is ,but i lived and worked in the sub-tropics of Australia.in civil construction .and most of the workers ,much of the year didn't wear a shirt, also living on the Gold Coast [aus] it is very common to see many people of all walks of life ,driving, walking in parks, shopping centers, and most other day to day activities sans shirt.

How 'not wearing a shirt' shows as you say, ...;

paints a picture in my mind of the sort of person they might be, in my eyes someone who does this in public view other than a beach of course is inconsiderate, disrespectful and again in my eyes comes from a poor background,

is quite bewildering to me....i'll have to put it down to 'different cultures'

• Like 1

I grew up in a beach town in the U.S.A., and many malls and restaurants have signs that say "no shirt, no shoes, no service".

I'm in a restaurant now here in Phuket, and a guy has just walked in without a shirt on, to me, I still have that attitude from my hometown, so yes, for sure a cultural thing. Were I the owner of this restaurant I would ask the guy to put a shirt on.

For me it's just a respect thing. Look respectful, act respectful and others will do the same for you. Look like a slob, act like a slob, note that people will not treat you so well.

• Like 1

I grew up in a beach town in the U.S.A., and many malls and restaurants have signs that say "no shirt, no shoes, no service".

I'm in a restaurant now here in Phuket, and a guy has just walked in without a shirt on, to me, I still have that attitude from my hometown, so yes, for sure a cultural thing. Were I the owner of this restaurant I would ask the guy to put a shirt on.

For me it's just a respect thing. Look respectful, act respectful and others will do the same for you. Look like a slob, act like a slob, note that people will not treat you so well.

I'm 100% with you on the no shirt in any food place...thats not acceptable at all. totally wrong...

The old saying that the 'clothes make the man' is not always true either...there's a lot of slobs around these days ..shirted or not and i really dont believe that shirtless=slob..

However there's a time and place for everything...

Your opinion...but i fail to see how a man driving in a car shirtless with tinted windows can attract so much ''hatred'' from you..maybe you have other deep seated ''issues'' Posted Image

I'm not sure where your country of origin is ,but i lived and worked in the sub-tropics of Australia.in civil construction .and most of the workers ,much of the year didn't wear a shirt, also living on the Gold Coast [aus] it is very common to see many people of all walks of life ,driving, walking in parks, shopping centers, and most other day to day activities sans shirt.

paints a picture in my mind of the sort of person they might be, in my eyes someone who does this in public view other than a beach of course is inconsiderate, disrespectful and again in my eyes comes from a poor background,

It's different people mate, I was brought up to be respectful and treat others with respect, it's only a shirt you say and nothing to complain about, well to me and others it's not nice! and yes it really does show the sort of person you are mainly because you don't care what others think! anyway each to there own, again this is a forum where things get discussed!

• Like 1

It's different people mate, I was brought up to be respectful and treat others with respect, it's only a shirt you say and nothing to complain about, well to me and others it's not nice! and yes it really does show the sort of person you are mainly because you don't care what others think! anyway each to there own, again this is a forum where things get discussed!

I also was brought up to respect others and i still do ,

I still cant understand your POV that not wearing a shirt in the cases i spoke of earlier can be construed in any way at all as being disrespectful to others.

Prudish and priggish comes to mind...

IMO you are being totally disrespectful and even insulting to me, by saying that, by my not wearing a shirt at the time and place where it is acceptable, shows me as being a person other than what i really am, which is a totally respectful person, in all interpretations of the word''respectful''

• 1 month later...

Is driving a car topless in Phuket illegal?

I was recently stopped at a police checkpoint while driving my car. The policeman got very upset with me for not having a shirt on, and demanded I put one on before allowing me to proceed. Is this actually the law in Thailand?

Joe, Rawai. Monday, September 2, 2013 9:37:46 AM

“Yes, it is the law in Thailand, as indicated in the Criminal Code BE 2499 (1956).

Section 388 of the code stipulates that any person who performs a disgraceful act in public by undressing himself, exhibiting his undressed person or committing any other act of obscenity, shall be liable to a fine not exceeding 500 baht.

In Thailand, good manners dictate that drivers dress modestly. As Phuket is a tourist hub, we we do make compromises in the interests of intercultural harmony, such as the policeman did in this case by simply issuing a warning, rather than going the whole way and setting about taking more formal legal action.

Naturally, we do consider intention, circumstances and common sense in general. For example, if a boxer is jogging shirtless in the process of warming-up that is not illegal, but if a boxer does not wear pants either, the police will certainly take action.

In the case of baring your chest in your car, what was your intention? That is a question you might want to ask yourself. In any event it, is both inappropriate and illegal to do so in Thailand. Consider yourself lucky you were not hit with a 500-baht fine.”
Monday, September 2, 2013 9:37:46 AM Lt Col Jumroon Plaiduang, Deputy Superintendent, Chalong Police.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1440

• Like 1