Me ... dont have , its at home

Bib ... out the car

Me ...ok

Bib then check inside my car ...

Bib ... CD

Me ... yes

Bib ... Copy cannot have

Me ... (<deleted>!?) Ok

Bib... you wait here ( he then walks off )

Me... listen the radio for 10 minutes expecting him back

Me... now is 20 minutes and hes still pulling other cars over.

Bib... comes back ... you pay how much ?

Me... 300thb

Bib... no

Me ... 500thb

Bib.. no

Me ... why ? How much ?

Bib... no passport , cd copy .you pay 1000thb.

Me ... ok , can i go now ?

Bib... you go .

Now technically yes should have my passport or at least a copy . Agreed . But fined for copy cd in the car !!!!

Lost for words would be my expression here.

Suppose I could of been pissed off about it but actually made me smile never been fined for copy cds in the motor before :-)

• Like 1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask for a receipt.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand how people who have been living here for a while let themselves get screwed this easily.

Where was this BTW?

• Like 2

On the way to Yamu , as you turn right from the main road.

Wouldnt say i was letting myself in for being screwed. But yup didnt have my passport or cooy with me. So yes guess he could of got for me that. But my point was really just about the cds .

Never heard anyone being pulled on that and wasnt about to argue the toss for 1k as they are illegal and guessing going to the station would not of been the best of ideas :-)

Why on earth did you get out of the car and allow him to search it... crazy

Also your Thai license has your passport number on it (my does anyway)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Maybe something to do with the crackdown on valid visas ?

Anyhows just found it amusing he was harping on about copy cds !!!

Oh and the law states you must carry your passport with you at all times. It isnt just about id , its there for providing your visa details too .

But hey ho , no sweat .

Not the first time the car has been searched , happend quite often when they pull motors over.

And i got out cause the polite gentleman who asked me too was a copper. What am i gonna say .. no go get a warrant :-) lol

Oh and the law states you must carry your passport with you at all times. It isnt just about id , its there for providing your visa details too .

No, not correct. You must show it in a reasonable amount of time, so producing copy and showing real passport later is accepted.

Next time prepare two or 3 red notes in your hand, hold them slightly beneath the bottom of the window after handing over your license. 9 times out of ten, they will slip the hand in, take the notes, give you your license back and you're on your way.

Don't specifically hold out the money to him or let your hand leave the resting against the door, as in, you can always claim it wasn't an offer to bribe. Just let the red colour be seen. Once he takes it, thank him loudly and begin winding the window up as you drive off.

Or, yea, you can fight it and waste a great deal of time. Tends to also end up more expensive as you found out.

Keep smiling. If he asks you to get out of the car during the daytime, you know you already made him wait too long before seeing any reds.

YMMV.

• Like 1

Ha Ha I got pulled over just outside Chumpon the other day by the Highway Police. Guy sauntered over to the car and in pretty good thai/english asked me for "One chicken Lek".

Took a while for both the missus and myself to figure out he was actually after 100 baht. Why it is called a Chicken Lek/Small Chicken is beyond me. Learn something new every day. Anyway 100 baht later all was smiles and I was off on my way again.

Thanks oxford , but never will do that.

First time fined and been stopped many times over the years.

They were doing urine drug tests at the side of the road too.

Never seen that before at a checkpoint either.

Next time prepare two or 3 red notes in your hand, hold them slightly beneath the bottom of the window after handing over your license. 9 times out of ten, they will slip the hand in, take the notes, give you your license back and you're on your way.

Don't specifically hold out the money to him or let your hand leave the resting against the door, as in, you can always claim it wasn't an offer to bribe. Just let the red colour be seen. Once he takes it, thank him loudly and begin winding the window up as you drive off.

Or, yea, you can fight it and waste a great deal of time. Tends to also end up more expensive as you found out.

Keep smiling. If he asks you to get out of the car during the daytime, you know you already made him wait too long before seeing any reds.

YMMV.

I have never had to do anything like that, and have never paid any fines I did not deserve or fight any fines.

Don't complain about corruption in Thailand and be one of the culprits yourself, especially since there really is no need.

Maybe it's time to buy an iPod? I don't think they can fine you for your music on that... I guess I should make a copies of my passport and visa extension and put them in my vehicles.

Maybe it's time to buy an iPod? I don't think they can fine you for your music on that... I guess I should make a copies of my passport and visa extension and put them in my vehicles.

For the last year or so I have started carrying my actual passport and actual Work Permit. I also have copies in the car, plus copy registration book (must update the copy) and out dated insurance documents (must update that right now)

• Like 1

For the last year or so I have started carrying my actual passport and actual Work Permit. I also have copies in the car, plus copy registration book (must update the copy) and out dated insurance documents (must update that right now)

I use to carry my passport all the time, and I do if going somewhere off the island. But I washed my old passport twice when I carried it with me all the time. Doh! My new one is now warping due to the humidity here. Not much I can do about that...

I use to carry my passport all the time, and I do if going somewhere off the island. But I washed my old passport twice when I carried it with me all the time. Doh! My new one is now warping due to the humidity here. Not much I can do about that...

+1!!!!!

Pftt, we live in the iPod era. Who still uses CD's? Well, obviously the OP anyway.

I would have told him, "we go to station". At which time he would say "you go".

or possibly he would say, you sit there smartarse and wait 4 hours until I take you to the station and fine you twice once for being a smart arse and one for speaking Thaiengkish!....

No. He will give a ticket, which has to be paid at the station. Curious to see what would be on the ticket.

So the answer is really simple: don't pay, let them make the move.

No it doesn't, valid ID is required, passport may be requested and you have reasonable time to produce (at station).

As for VISA details, available from a police computer over the radio on giving your passport number, written on Thai driving license.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

iPod ? ugh. USB stick!

To my knowledge, this BS is only happening on Phuket.

By it's very nature, corruption can only get worse, unless there is intervention.

I wonder what will be next, pehaps everyone wearing a 200 baht knock off copy T-Shirt from the markets will be fined. :) :)

No it doesn't, valid ID is required, passport may be requested and you have reasonable time to produce (at station).

As for VISA details, available from a police computer over the radio on giving your passport number, written on Thai driving license.

Excellent info, Tom- errr... AoA, thanks!

Are you admitted at the bar in Thailand? or just the US?

I have a very clear photo of my passport on my phone. It's easily enlarged on the phone and very readable. I've never been pulled over by police for anything, but I've used it at the bank before (twice actually) and they were okay with it. Also have photos of my visa page and 90 day check-in slip.

If I'm going off the island I carry my passport.

I have a very clear photo of my passport on my phone. It's easily enlarged on the phone and very readable. I've never been pulled over by police for anything, but I've used it at the bank before (twice actually) and they were okay with it. Also have photos of my visa page and 90 day check-in slip.

If I'm going off the island I carry my passport.

So, the bank photocopies your phone???? :) :)

• Like 1