Stopped by the BiB in the car , first for me

N47HAN

Im Curious to see how many people have responded by saying they would tell the Police that were not going to pay and "take me to the station"

In reality you are saying , yes I know I have illegal cds in my car but I dont care about that ! I dont need my passport so sod off , take me to the station.

So youve now made your point , they agree and say no fine for passport you can bring next week no problem .

Now they ask what about the illegal cds ?? What do you do then ?? Please tell.....

Maybe you could just say , well its ok everybody has them and who cares about a cd ?

Remember the Law here , should they choose to enforce it can be pretty severe , its the fact that they enforce as and when they choose that makes it seem the way it is.

To all you Gung Ho Cavaliers that will take on the police for the sake of a few $$$ I salute you . Me ? just easier to give them some dinner money if its my turn.

I agree with you 100%...Spot on...IMO..

In so saying tho, in 20 years i have only ever paid once..100baht for teamoney when stopped at 140k's on one of the long straights to NongKai , years ago..BIB wanted 200 but wife said take 100 only..he did ..too easy.smile.png

Edited by andreandre

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have to call myself lucky for never having been through something like that, or even pulled over for any reason. I guess that perhaps offsets my abysmal luck playing the Government Lottery.

On the issue of producing a passport on the spot, here is an approach that has served me very well over the years:

Take your passport to a color copy shop and copy both the inside page and signature page, reducing them both to the size of a standard business card. Face them back to back and then laminate.

The result is what I call my 'passport ID card'. I have used this in multiple situations over the years to rent motorbikes, hand over to hospital staff, etc. I have never had it denied or questioned; The Thais just think it is the foreign equivalent of a national ID card, something my home country does not issue to its citizens.

I think the whole procedure costs about 50 baht and takes 10 minutes.

Far preferable than carrying your passport everywhere (with the risk of losing it ever-present).

Edited by phuketsub

I will NOT carry my passport with me "at all times". I don't care what the rules are in whatever country.

I will NOT take the risk of losing, or, having my passport stolen, nor subject it to excessive wear, tear, bending and the rain.

If they want to see my passport, they will have to let me retrieve it from home.

So im pulled over ,

Bib... licence

Me... there you go

Bid... passport

Me ... dont have , its at home

Bib ... out the car

Me ...ok

Bib then check inside my car ...

Bib ... CD

Me ... yes

Bib ... Copy cannot have

Me ... (<deleted>!?) Ok

Bib... you wait here ( he then walks off )

Me... listen the radio for 10 minutes expecting him back

Me... now is 20 minutes and hes still pulling other cars over.

Bib... comes back ... you pay how much ?

Me... 300thb

Bib... no

Me ... 500thb

Bib.. no

Me ... why ? How much ?

Bib... no passport , cd copy .you pay 1000thb.

Me ... ok , can i go now ?

Bib... you go .

Now technically yes should have my passport or at least a copy . Agreed . But fined for copy cd in the car !!!!

Lost for words would be my expression here.

Suppose I could of been pissed off about it but actually made me smile never been fined for copy cds in the motor before :-)

Isn't this the same same but every cop, ( legalized thugs of amazing Thailand) they seem to get a financial mental erection for every tourist the see. How can we help the Government masturbate out a plan to put these thugs out of service. Cd copies.... Made by their fellow men, but never restricted. A walk in certain parts of Bangkok and it thrives! Bloody hypocrites. Extortion on the motorbike taxis and street hawkers..... But they don't talk! They do not want these people to loose face....or standup for crime. I am sure every police is proud to be know a thug! Perhaps they need a lesson in Buddhism and what cheating or bribery is about! Ah you farang I Thai ! What does that imply?

Im Curious to see how many people have responded by saying they would tell the Police that were not going to pay and "take me to the station"

I just ask for the ticket, hand over my DL, then hand the ticket to my pals who retrieve the DL at no cost to me from the police station.

I presume the OP did not receive a ticket. If he did, I'm betting there was no 'no passport' or 'illegal CD' written on the ticket.

@ stevenl

I have never made a corrupt payment to an official here. I've also never broken the law, execpt for having some copy DVD's in my apartment and not carrying my passport 24/7.

Many of the bar owners I have spoken to have told me their monthly "tea money" payments have increased in recent times. So, yes, corruption has increased.

It appears that inflation also effects corrupts payments to officials. smile.pngsmile.png

200 baht used to cover most things, from the OP, it's now 1000 baht. I would call that an increase. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Why on earth did you get out of the car and allow him to search it... crazy

Also your Thai license has your passport number on it (my does anyway)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are quite correct, both my Thai motorcycle and car drivers license have my passport number. However , what they don't have is my visa status. Whether or not I a up to date on my 90 day reporting. I carry my Passport. People that swear a copy is sufficient are depending on disposition of the police involved. The police have a lot of latitude and discretion when it comes on how laws are interpreted. The upshot is you foot the bill.

In reality you are saying , yes I know I have illegal cds in my car but I dont care about that ! I dont need my passport so sod off , take me to the station.

So youve now made your point , they agree and say no fine for passport you can bring next week no problem .

Now they ask what about the illegal cds ?? What do you do then ?? Please tell.....

Maybe you could just say , well its ok everybody has them and who cares about a cd ?

Remember the Law here , should they choose to enforce it can be pretty severe , its the fact that they enforce as and when they choose that makes it seem the way it is.

To all you Gung Ho Cavaliers that will take on the police for the sake of a few $$$ I salute you . Me ? just easier to give them some dinner money if its my turn.

I agree. If you get a seriously corrupt officer, and he views the whole incident as a loss of face, the whole thing could go a lot worse, for anybody.

It may be easier to accept the fact that you are being extorted and just pay the nominal fee.

@ stevenl

Many of the bar owners I have spoken to have told me their monthly "tea money" payments have increased in recent times. So, yes, corruption has increased.

Monthly tea money is in exchange for services rendered.

Prostitution, illegal employees, drugs, extended opening hours, making a noise without worry of complaints, etc.

No tea money required for a totally legit bar.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

I will NOT carry my passport with me "at all times". I don't care what the rules are in whatever country.

I will NOT take the risk of losing, or, having my passport stolen, nor subject it to excessive wear, tear, bending and the rain.

If they want to see my passport, they will have to let me retrieve it from home.

Do you lose many items? Do you carry a wallet? Are you aware that there are plastic covers for Passports to keep them dry? Your most telling statement is"I don't care what the rules are in whatever country." Perhaps you are an anarchist.

I think the carrying of the passport, 24/7, may need to be bought up at the Ambassador level to be made public and end this scam.

If a Thai licence meets Thai Law requirements, at the scene, with the passport to be produced later, this should be confirmed, at the political level, to make it public, so the BiB know, that the expats know, they can't be extorted over this in the future.

@ stevenlMany of the bar owners I have spoken to have told me their monthly "tea money" payments have increased in recent times. So, yes, corruption has increased.

Monthly tea money is in exchange for services rendered.Prostitution, illegal employees, drugs, extended opening hours, making a noise without worry of complaints, etc.No tea money required for a totally legit bar.

Wrong... All the bars I know pay in some manner or form, these are perfectly legit bars (I was partner in 2 night clubs in bkk). Tea money was negotiated at the start and with the onset of success increased a little on one of the bars.... This keeps the local bib happy, ensures they arrive promptly when there was trouble, and prevents a stand off and prevents the bib from annoying us with drugs test etc...

A couple of good friends, also partners of the club were also Police, they helped negotiate down the monthly payment....

There is no point fighting the way 'some' things are done, it's also plain to see when some bib at just chancing their luck....

I got pull up by BiB on my bike with my wife on the back, no helmet, no licence and no idea, he said something in thai to my wife and my wife just blasted the poor bloke, i was thinking "now for sure i'm going to jail" but the BiB just closed his mouth and waved as on. My wife said he wanted money but she didn't want to give him any.

@ stevenl

I have never made a corrupt payment to an official here. I've also never broken the law, execpt for having some copy DVD's in my apartment and not carrying my passport 24/7.

It appears that inflation also effects corrupts payments to officials. smile.pngsmile.png

200 baht used to cover most things, from the OP, it's now 1000 baht. I would call that an increase. smile.png

So your source for your general statement is the bar scene. Says it all.

@ stevenlMany of the bar owners I have spoken to have told me their monthly "tea money" payments have increased in recent times. So, yes, corruption has increased.

Monthly tea money is in exchange for services rendered.Prostitution, illegal employees, drugs, extended opening hours, making a noise without worry of complaints, etc.No tea money required for a totally legit bar.

Wrong... All the bars I know pay in some manner or form, these are perfectly legit bars (I was partner in 2 night clubs in bkk). Tea money was negotiated at the start and with the onset of success increased a little on one of the bars.... This keeps the local bib happy, ensures they arrive promptly when there was trouble, and prevents a stand off and prevents the bib from annoying us with drugs test etc...

A couple of good friends, also partners of the club were also Police, they helped negotiate down the monthly payment....

There is no point fighting the way 'some' things are done, it's also plain to see when some bib at just chancing their luck....

No, not wrong.

You're paying for services (no drug tests and prompt trouble control).

• Like 1

......... and prevents a stand off and prevents the bib from annoying us with drugs test etc...

Exactly what I said.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

......... and prevents a stand off and prevents the bib from annoying us with drugs test etc...
Exactly what I said.

A 100% legal and legit club not playing the game will die off within months as the BIB extort the owner by implementing frequent drugs tests, also by installing 'fight instigators' in the crowds...

So, even a 100% legal club with 100% legal customers has to play the 'tea money' game... If that's what you meant, then yes, we agree...

Exactly what I said.

A 100% legal and legit club not playing the game will die off within months as the BIB extort the owner by implementing frequent drugs tests, also by installing 'fight instigators' in the crowds...

So, even a 100% legal club with 100% legal customers has to play the 'tea money' game... If that's what you meant, then yes, we agree...

Are you talking Phuket here?

@ stevenl

200 baht used to cover most things, from the OP, it's now 1000 baht. I would call that an increase. smile.png

So your source for your general statement is the bar scene. Says it all.

It might say more about you, than it does about me. smile.pngsmile.png

The monthly "tea money" paid by farang bar owners is very common knowledge, and it has gone up. It was the easiest example I could give to you of farang paying corrupt payment, systematically, and it has become the accepted thing you must do here.

The OP is another example. Drivers being hit up for 1000 baht for "copy CD and no passport." 200 baht used to make your traffic infringement disappear. Now, there's no traffic infringement, there is have a "copy CD and no have passport."

Amongst the Thai's, there's land encroachment with false land titles and the transport payments made to "influential people" which had created the absolute mess we have on Phuket with transport. There is obviously a rise in prices, therefore a rise in "fees."

These are just off the top of my head.

Are you saying nobody here makes corrupt payments?

Are you saying corrupt payments are not requested, in fact, demanded, here?

Are you saying there are corrupt payement here, but they are the same amount as 4 years ago?

Are you saying there is corruption here, it is still at the same level as 4 years ago?

Edited by NamKangMan

No, not wrong.

You're paying for services (no drug tests and prompt trouble control).

That's called, "corruption." :) :)

• Like 1

I am saying I have not made any corrupt payments in many years here. That includes traffic, business, etc.

I am saying legal businesses and people have no need to make corrupt payments.

• Like 1

I am saying I have not made any corrupt payments in many years here. That includes traffic, business, etc.

I am saying legal businesses and people have no need to make corrupt payments.

So, your source for your general statement is just yourself?

Do you concede monthly corrupt payments are made here?

Do you concede traffic police demand brides here?

Or, because it's never happened to you, it doesn't exist?