Stopped by the BiB in the car , first for me

N47HAN

I am saying I have not made any corrupt payments in many years here. That includes traffic, business, etc.

I am saying legal businesses and people have no need to make corrupt payments.

The exception is bars and night-clubs.

Also traffic police.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am saying I have not made any corrupt payments in many years here. That includes traffic, business, etc.

Also traffic police.

Nope. I, like many others have stated already on the forum, have never had to pay a bribe to the traffic police.

Every time I have had to pay a fine, it was because I was guilty, paid the fine at the police station and had to show the receipt of the fine to get my vehicle keys back.

There is absolutely no need for the police to take illegal payments from motorists.

Set up a road-block and there are so many road-users without helmets, or, licences, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Like 1

Also traffic police.

Nope. I, like many others have stated already on the forum, have never had to pay a bribe to the traffic police.

Every time I have had to pay a fine, it was because I was guilty, paid the fine at the police station and had to show the receipt of the fine to get my vehicle keys back.

There is absolutely no need for the police to take illegal payments from motorists.

Set up a road-block and there are so many road-users without helmets, or, licences, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Are you also saying that because money has never been demanded from you, for one of your traffic infingements, that it has never happened to anybody, and therefore doesn't exist?

I have never been asked for a bribe from a traffic officer either, but from speking to people, they have not had the same experience as me, or you. They have been asked for a bribe and paid the bribe. I have no reason to disbelieve them. Why would they BS about it?

Is this a troll thread? Do you think the OP's version of events are factual, or BS.

I believe the actual fine you pay at the police station, goes to the Police Department, maybe with some higher rank police taking some of it. The bribe money is split up between the Police Officers, directly.

I would suggest, they need a combination of both, each month, but just because it's never happened to me, I don't think that it doesn't happen at all.

I was in a taxi in Bangkok a couple of years ago and the driver go pulled over. They spoke in Thai, he handed him 200 baht, and drove we off. The officer didn't even care there was a witness to the bribe. So, I have seen it, with my own eyes, just not on Phuket, yet.

Edited by NamKangMan

Maybe these people you talk to, believe that a legitimate fine is a bribe.

Did you ask if they got a receipt? Were they talking about Phuket, or, some other place in Thailand?

I know traffic police in Bangkok and Pattaya ask for bribes.

As I stated before. What is the need to take bribes when they can raise money legitimately?

Did you ask if they got a receipt? Were they talking about Phuket, or, some other place in Thailand?

As I stated before. What is the need to take bribes when they can raise money legitimately?

"What is the need to take bribes when they can raise money legitimately?" - Are you saying the officer that gives you a legitimate fine keeps the money from the fine? :) :)

A bribe either goes straight into his pocket, or is put in a pool and split up at the end of the shift/month. It's supplement to his small salary.

Some of you think it is a good idea to lecture BiB about Thai law..? And that you can win against an evilminded one..? Did you forget where you are..? Well,good luck with that!!

In Bangkok I had a police officer trying to fine me for a non existing event. I asked for a ticket, he told

"What is the need to take bribes when they can raise money legitimately?" - Are you saying the officer that gives you a legitimate fine keeps the money from the fine? smile.pngsmile.png

A bribe either goes straight into his pocket, or is put in a pool and split up at the end of the shift/month. It's supplement to his small salary.

You do know that also part of the normal fines goes into the policeman's pocket?

Some of you think it is a good idea to lecture BiB about Thai law..? And that you can win against an evilminded one..? Did you forget where you are..? Well,good luck with that!!

In Bangkok I had a police officer trying to fine me for a non existing event. I asked for a ticket, he told

"What is the need to take bribes when they can raise money legitimately?" - Are you saying the officer that gives you a legitimate fine keeps the money from the fine? Posted ImagePosted Image

A bribe either goes straight into his pocket, or is put in a pool and split up at the end of the shift/month.  It's supplement to his small salary. 

You do know that also part of the normal fines goes into the policeman's pocket?

Yep. I believe it's 60% of the ticket value.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Oh and the law states you must carry your passport with you at all times. It isnt just about id , its there for providing your visa details too .

No, not correct. You must show it in a reasonable amount of time, so producing copy and showing real passport later is accepted.

A mod could confirmed that? Excuse me Stevenl smile.png not I doubt your saying, I certainly do not want to carry my passport everywhere all the time so I have a photo on my iPhone, but not sure its OK ? On the other end I never been asked for my passport, I was fined once for no helmet, with maybe 50 people Thai and Farangs alike, but was not asked neither for license nor for passport??

Oh and the law states you must carry your passport with you at all times. It isnt just about id , its there for providing your visa details too .

No it doesn't, valid ID is required, passport may be requested and you have reasonable time to produce (at station).

As for VISA details, available from a police computer over the radio on giving your passport number, written on Thai driving license.

Thanks for this answer smile.png

No it doesn't, valid ID is required, passport may be requested and you have reasonable time to produce (at station).

As for VISA details, available from a police computer over the radio on giving your passport number, written on Thai driving license.

Thanks for this answer :)
To see some sort of link to a site officially quoting this law would be useful and interesting....

Just the other night I argued with a good friend of mine: an Immigration Inspector in Bangkok.

My argument: that as long as I carry photo ID (I.e. a Thai driving licence) and could offer my passport within a reasonable time frame (I.e. 1 hour), then I'm within the Law.

His argument: Foreigners must carry their passport at all times.

Now, I'm not sure who is right or wrong, and it doesn't really matter if he or an officer with a similar understanding of the law asks for your passport, you'll need your passport.

But: it would be good to know unequivocally and see it written on some legal document before I go quoting the law to a police officer who stops me and requests my passport.

Edited by richard_smith237

I am yet again delighted that I don't live in Phuket and a very long time ago made the decision never to go there again.

Cheers for making my day, thanks.

[from sunny Chonburi] w00t.gif

Maybe Phuket is happy about that situation too!! clap2.gif

• Like 2

I am yet again delighted that I don't live in Phuket and a very long time ago made the decision never to go there again.

Also feel life is better since i left Puke-itsick.gif

(From cool Chiang Mai)

I just live stream my favourite radio station from back home.

My car player bluetooths music and calls from my mobile phone.

Jeez, catch up with today's tech guys.

Mine tooPosted Image

Mine does too. But I still play the same CD in the car... the same CD for near on 5 years now...Jack Johnson.. it's kinda relaxing in amongst the moron arrogant drivers here:lol:

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

(From cool Chiang Mai)

But you're missing it so much you still feel the need to post on here and slander it here.

• Like 2

(From cool Chiang Mai)

But you're missing it so much you still feel the need to post on here and slander it here.

Hey Steven I couldn't agree more. Heaps of people claim to have left Phuket for sunnier climes yet still find they have to return to the Phuket forum and slag it and us that still live here off. Screw 'em I reckon.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I wonder why some people have problems with the police whereas others do not?

Just the luck of the draw. Couple of years ago I was stopped (in car) at check points about once a month. But since then I cannot remember being stopped for quite some time. No doubt karma will give me a stop tomorrow biggrin.png

• Like 1

Just the luck of the draw. Couple of years ago I was stopped (in car) at check points about once a month. But since then I cannot remember being stopped for quite some time. No doubt karma will give me a stop tomorrow Posted Image

I meant why do people seem to get fined if they say they have done nothing wrong!!

Thanks for this answer smile.png
To see some sort of link to a site officially quoting this law would be useful and interesting....

Just the other night I argued with a good friend of mine: an Immigration Inspector in Bangkok.

My argument: that as long as I carry photo ID (I.e. a Thai driving licence) and could offer my passport within a reasonable time frame (I.e. 1 hour), then I'm within the Law.

His argument: Foreigners must carry their passport at all times.

Now, I'm not sure who is right or wrong, and it doesn't really matter if he or an officer with a similar understanding of the law asks for your passport, you'll need your passport.

But: it would be good to know unequivocally and see it written on some legal document before I go quoting the law to a police officer who stops me and requests my passport.

The only thing that's unequivocal here is that nothing is unequivocal. whistling.gif

Just the luck of the draw. Couple of years ago I was stopped (in car) at check points about once a month. But since then I cannot remember being stopped for quite some time. No doubt karma will give me a stop tomorrow biggrin.png

But will you get fined for something you did not do?

I get stopped quite often, it seems at the moment they are quite active, nearly exclusively on the bike. But I never get fined, simply show them my license and am wearing my helmet.

Though I have done a lot of car mileage in Phuket, I was never stopped there. But lots of times on the highway going to Central Thailand and on to the Isaan. They will say that you were speeding though you were not, or they will say that you have to keep left, but you were overtaking. Guess I could try to play the smart guy and start arguing with them, but I just prefer to give them 100 Baht. Easy does it.To my experience, this is also what Thai people invariably do.

At least this thread made me decide always to keep a copy of my passport and visa in the car.

Oh well, I guess this thread is about to approach its natural end.