Stopped by the BiB in the car , first for me

N47HAN

Though I have done a lot of car mileage in Phuket, I was never stopped there. But lots of times on the highway going to Central Thailand and on to the Isaan. They will say that you were speeding though you were not, or they will say that you have to keep left, but you were overtaking. Guess I could try to play the smart guy and start arguing with them, but I just prefer to give them 100 Baht. Easy does it.To my experience, this is also what Thai people invariably do.

At least this thread made me decide always to keep a copy of my passport and visa in the car.

Oh well, I guess this thread is about to approach its natural end.

years ago i moved up to Isaan for a year or two and was always having my SUV stopped for, exactly as you say above..tho often speeding for sure but only one time had to pay [100baht]

Usually wife would talk to them and off we'd go again, but the annoyance of having to stop all the time got her to ask a nice BIB the question.."Why?''

My SUV was Phuket registered and BIB told her.."we see Phuket plate with farang driving and understand he has ''big money'' easy for tip."..smile.png

Changed the rego to Khon Kaen plates and never again got stopped in the area

Once was severely berated by a prize a---hole BIB when pulled over one time for "not wearing a shirt!!!."

In my own car on a trip to Laos..not in a shopping centre, or even a gas station...just pulled me over at a drive through slowly type checkpoint...

Unbelievably angry guy and he didn't want to hear anything from the wife..i put it on just to please him and off we went ...bizzare!!w00t.gif

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I have done a lot of car mileage in Phuket, I was never stopped there. But lots of times on the highway going to Central Thailand and on to the Isaan. They will say that you were speeding though you were not, or they will say that you have to keep left, but you were overtaking. Guess I could try to play the smart guy and start arguing with them, but I just prefer to give them 100 Baht. Easy does it.To my experience, this is also what Thai people invariably do.

At least this thread made me decide always to keep a copy of my passport and visa in the car.

years ago i moved up to Isaan for a year or two and was always having my SUV stopped for, exactly as you say above..tho often speeding for sure but only one time had to pay [100baht]

Usually wife would talk to them and off we'd go again, but the annoyance of having to stop all the time got her to ask a nice BIB the question.."Why?''

My SUV was Phuket registered and BIB told her.."we see Phuket plate with farang driving and understand he has ''big money'' easy for tip."..Posted Image

Once was severely berated by a prize a---hole BIB when pulled over one time for "not wearing a shirt!!!."

In my own car on a trip to Laos..not in a shopping centre, or even a gas station...just pulled me over at a drive through slowly type checkpoint...

Unbelievably angry guy and he didn't want to hear anything from the wife..i put it on just to please him and off we went ...bizzare!!Posted Image

I don't think it is bizarre at all, I wish the police would stamp out all people going about with no top on, just because you are in your car doesn't make it okay, he didn't want to see you topless, fair play to him!!

My SUV was Phuket registered and BIB told her.."we see Phuket plate with farang driving and understand he has ''big money'' easy for tip."..smile.png

Unbelievably angry guy and he didn't want to hear anything from the wife..i put it on just to please him and off we went ...bizzare!!w00t.gif

I don't think it is bizarre at all, I wish the police would stamp out all people going about with no top on, just because you are in your car doesn't make it okay, he didn't want to see you topless, fair play to him!!

You really need to make use of one or other of these thingo's ......biggrin.png tongue.png laugh.png clap2.gif giggle.gif cheesy.gif

when posting humour ,so we know you are in fact being humourous..

You really need to make use of one or other of these thingo's ......biggrin.png tongue.png laugh.png clap2.gif giggle.gif cheesy.gif

when posting humour ,so we know you are in fact being humourous..

Obviously some people require canned laughter in comedy shows to be able to "get" the joke.blink.png

Can you put a photo on Thaivisa how you look without a shirt on please. So we can try, to understand tho outrage of the Man in Brown.

You had sometime, problems on the beach to? wink.png

You look frightening same Tim Ward? You are Tim Ward?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540427-angry-new-zealand-bodybuilder-stabs-canadian-english-teacher-in-pattaya/

sharky1_220x147-1.jpg

Edited by ALFREDO

This approximates my experiences here through many years. I got fined for imaginary offenses 4 times on a trip from Chiang Mai to BKK and back several years ago, although 100% legal. I have not been stopped for maybe 4 years or so now and my 2 1/2 years living on Phuket I was always waved through the checkpoints. It truly seems to be the luck of the draw...
  • Like 1

The requirement is to carry official identification and your Thai license is sufficient, you got stooged by the BiB !!!!

Is this correct? License is good enough? I thought you had to always carry your passport

A Thai driving licence is good enough at check-in for a domestic flight.

It's against the law in Thailand for a man to drive a car topless.

The policeman was actually doing his job correctly.

The requirement is to carry official identification and your Thai license is sufficient, you got stooged by the BiB !!!!

Is this correct? License is good enough? I thought you had to always carry your passport

My understand is the Thai driving/riding licence is good enough to prove your identification, but it does not prove your immigration status, and it appears that the Thai Police are either unble, or unwilling, to get on the police radio to immigration to check your visa status, based on the passport number on the licence.

This, of course, if it's not just an extortion by a corrupt office looking for money.

I have a question for those who have been here longer than myself. I have a 1 year licence, but have a new passport within that year. Do I have to go and get a new licence to show the new passport number? If so, what's involved?

Man,,,,,they sure like to set up at the three way in Nai Harn now.

Gold mine.

Used to be such a nice neighborhood...............

Coming back from exercising the other afternoon (don't carry fck all when I run) get stopped, the <removed> demand my license, "look at me (I'm completely soaked in sweat) I don't carry my license when I exercise" calls the big chief over, explain the same, they let me go (again).

Edited by LivinginKata
no need for insulting name

My understand is the Thai driving/riding licence is good enough to prove your identification, but it does not prove your immigration status, and it appears that the Thai Police are either unble, or unwilling, to get on the police radio to immigration to check your visa status, based on the passport number on the licence.

This, of course, if it's not just an extortion by a corrupt office looking for money.

I have a question for those who have been here longer than myself. I have a 1 year licence, but have a new passport within that year. Do I have to go and get a new licence to show the new passport number? If so, what's involved?

No, just update information on renewal.

On no account look like a tourist.

Unless you are a Thai, a tourist is all you will ever be here. Some just stay longer than others. Posted ImagePosted Image

Hence the visa "non Immigrant"

It could be renamed to the "Thai Wannabe" visa. :) :)
That's ridiculous. Thai wannabe?

How does that visa reflect anything Thai?

Gives you less rights than a work permit holder so you're wrong.

Interesting., fair enough if this indeed is correct..never seen it in print anywhere......if he had at the time explained that to my wife, i would have understood..but he didn't bother..bah.gif

Does this law also apply to motorcyclists?

Edited by andreandre

Sure it applies to m/bikes. I have seen plenty times police telling guys to put on a shirt. Can't say if it's an actual law, more like a Thai 'custom'

In my experience you will see Thais riding m/b without shirt only for local rides. Anything further and they will wear a shirt. Tourists though is a different story. Personally I think driving a bike or car without shirt is not very wise, especially the bike, but I also think it is against common decency and Thai customs.

So I would agree with police telling people to wear something whether on bikes or in cars.

Edited by stevenl

I just wonder if bodypaint would be enough to fill the law requirements. Then I could do this (well at least when going shopping at Jungceylon).

z4ov2qr.gif

@ hansgruber

It was said in jest, Hans.

There seems to be a competition amongst expats who can be the most "Thai."

Personally, I couldn't care about being more Thai than the next guy, because I know I will never be enough Thai to deserve any respect here from them, especially from the authorities and HiSo Thai's.

I have come to accept my low status of "farang" in Thai society. :) :)

Who cares what visa or permits you have - you will always just be a farang "allowed" to be here, and never having a "right" to be here. :) :)

Interesting., fair enough if this indeed is correct..never seen it in print anywhere......if he had at the time explained that to my wife, i would have understood..but he didn't bother..bah.gif

Got more than once stopped with no T-shirt on driving a car from Police, never had a problem, never got an advise, never paid any fine for it,

only for the speeding I usually get stopped. tongue.png

But,:seems true: blink.png

http://www.loonylaws.com/world.htm

http://www.mindmeister.com/151681180/crazy-laws

http://azweird.com/travel/weird_traffic_laws_around_the_world-769.html

Got more than once stopped with no T-shirt on driving a car from Police, never had a problem, never got an advise, never paid any fine for it,

only for the speeding I usually get stopped. tongue.png

But,:seems true: blink.png

http://www.loonylaws.com/world.htm

http://www.mindmeister.com/151681180/crazy-laws

http://azweird.com/travel/weird_traffic_laws_around_the_world-769.html

I hope it is true, but really, those links don't prove a thing, or are even not indication whether it is true or not.