Want To Rent A House South Of Pattaya Somewhere

My wife (thai citizen) and I are getting ready to make the move to Thailand in a month or so.

We are interested in renting a house somewhere south of Pattaya.

Are furnished houses common? The one we are looking at right now has no appliances etc. and I was wondering if that is normal or are furnished houses fairly easy to come by. I would assume that the price of decent appliances would be comparible to the price in the US? :o

Also we don't want to get into a long term lease until we have had a chance to look around and decide where when want to live for sure.

I am not even sure where exactly we want to live but should be far enough away from pattaya that I know it but still around a few other farangs!

Any suggestions?

Can't you post this in "Pattaya" section? You will get more responses

I just came back from the area over X'mas and was looking for the same thing as yours, and oh while you're in Pattaya section, try to browse in "Realestate" thread also you will get bunches of info about the area including pros and cons of buying or building yourself.

Good luck and I have decided Hua Hin might be the right place for us after all

Edited by BKK90210

My wife (thai citizen) and I are getting ready to make the move to Thailand in a month or so.

We are interested in renting a house somewhere south of Pattaya.

Are furnished houses common? The one we are looking at right now has no appliances etc. and I was wondering if that is normal or are furnished houses fairly easy to come by. I would assume that the price of decent appliances would be comparible to the price in the US? :o

Also we don't want to get into a long term lease until we have had a chance to look around and decide where when want to live for sure.

I am not even sure where exactly we want to live but should be far enough away from pattaya that I know it but still around a few other farangs!

Any suggestions?

I live in Sattahip, about 30k's south of Pattaya. Before we bought our house we looked around local area for rental.Nothing furnished as most rentals are repossessed bank owned properties. We lived in Pattaya until our home was built. Limited amount of rentals in Rayong. Not that many farangs outside the main areas, which is good from my point of view as prices are way down on Pattaya, bungalows go for about 1 million baht. Only a 30 minute drive , or 1 hour, 20 baht bus ride into Pattaya. Ban Chang, about 15k's further on has similar developments and some "farang type" bars which your missus may wish to keep you away from.

I have an apartment with my Thai wife and two young boys in Ban Amphur, about 10km south of Pattaya and very close to Wat Yarn. We love it there! Far enough away from Pattaya but close enough for shopping etc. Ban Amphur has a lovely beach, great restaurants, excellent market 3x a week and a good sized farang community. Plenty of rental housing to be found. 3km down the coast is Bang Saray. Housing estates are springing up along Sukhumvit raod there and the one we looked at in January was selling fast - all to farangs! I personally don't like the beach there as I find it narrow and dirty. I think Ban Amphur is well worth a look. Feel free to ask more wuestions and I can help you with short term accommodation whilst you are searching for your dream home!

My wife has found an unfurninished house (No fridge, Washer, Stove,etc.) Near Sattahip. So this is where we will move. One problem is our pet Dog. He is a big lab and it is becoming clear that it is not as easy to travel with him in Thailand as it has been here in the states. Not to mention find a house to rent or hotel which will allow animals.

Is it common for unfurnished houses to not include the basic appliances as well?

My wife has found an unfurninished house (No fridge, Washer, Stove,etc.) Near Sattahip. So this is where we will move. One problem is our pet Dog. He is a big lab and it is becoming clear that it is not as easy to travel with him in Thailand as it has been here in the states. Not to mention find a house to rent or hotel which will allow animals.

Is it common for unfurnished houses to not include the basic appliances as well?

Yes it's normal for thais to sell everything, or the bank to sell everything if the house is repossessed. Normally dogs are not a problem when renting unfurnished from thais. Plenty of cheap second hand fridges, washers, etc for sale in Sattahip if you want to wait to buy new, or get all your laundry collected, washed and ironed for $20 a month.

Yes it's normal for thais to sell everything, or the bank to sell everything if the house is repossessed. Normally dogs are not a problem when renting unfurnished from thais. Plenty of cheap second hand fridges, washers, etc for sale in Sattahip if you want to wait to buy new, or get all your laundry collected, washed and ironed for $20 a month.

Where is a good place to look for the used appliances as I have never been to Sattahip. The same with furniture etc. Would it be better to buy in Pattaya,Rayong, Bkk or in Sattahip?

We have a place sitting empty about 100 meters from Lotus South Pattaya. 2/1 Townhouse, unfurnished, fixer upper.

We also have about 70 homes (in the 2.9 to 5.5m range) to sell if you're in the market to buy.

PM me if you'd like to check it out.

:o

just to compare prices:

I rent a wood house in nord pattaya.

1 small room and toilette/shower on the ground floor (or 1st floor in us count).

In the 2nd floor a big veranda, small living room, kitchen, 2 sleeping rooms, 2 bathrooms.

empty, hot water, 1 aircon working but noisy. color new. Not really western standard, but very beautifull designed in a hugh green garden shared with a second house. 50 meter to the beach (which is not so beautifull).

14.500 Baht per month, which seems very cheap.

Thanks for the info!

I guess when we get there we will have to check out the area and figure out what we need. I am a little unhappy that we have to buy appliances as i am not used to that in the states.

Here is a suggested format for a rental agreement.

Rental Agreement

This agreement is made on the 15th March 2006 (the fifteenth day of March, two thousand and six) at Bangkok, between: Khun of (address), Bangkok, Thailand (hereinafter referred to as “the Lessor”) on the one part: and Mr (your name) of (your address) (hereinafter referred to as “the Lessee”) on the other part.

WHEREAS the Lessor is the owner of the house located at (Address of property to be rented) and wishes to let the said house with furniture and appliances, specified in the attached list, which shall be referred to as “the Premises”.

A.The Lessor and the Lessee HEREBY AGREE AS FOLLOWS:

1.The Lessor agrees to let the Premises and the Lessee agrees to rent the premises from the Lessor under the terms and conditions set out below.

2.The term of this Agreement is 12 (twelve) months commencing on the 1st April 1998 (The first day of April one thousand nine hundred and ninety eight) to 31st March 1999 (The thirty-first day of March, one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine).

3.The rent shall be Baht 18,000 (Eighteen thousand baht) per month payable in advance, within the fifth day of each month. The first payment of rent shall be paid on execution of this agreement. The Lessor hereby acknowledges receipt of the first payment of rent.

4.Upon execution of this Agreement, the Lessee deposits with the Lessor Baht 18,000 (Eighteen thousand baht) hereinafter referred to as the Deposit). The Deposit will be held by the Lessor throughout the the term of the lease as a security for any damage of loss the Lessor may suffer due to any breach, non-performance or non-observance by the Lessee of any of the convenants contained herein.

5.The Lessee shall have the option to renew this agreement for any additional period up to 12 (Twelve) months under the same terms and conditions herein, excepting the rent, which shall be mutually agreed upon by both parties prior to the renewal, providing that any increase shall not exceed 15% of the existing rental. Such option shall be exercised sending notice in writing to the Lessor at its address aforementioned, not less than 60 (sixty) days prior to the expiration of the term of this agreement, as mentioned in sub-section A(2) above.

The Lessee AGREES AS FOLLOWS

1.To make good all damage caused by the Lessee, his family, guests or servants, and to be responsible for minor repairs, including light bulb replacement, routine cleaning and check-up of the air-conditioners, etc.

2.To use the Premises for dwelling purposes only.

3.To promptly pay all electricity, water, gas, telephone bills and estate security charge consumed at the premises during the tenure of this Agreement.

4.To permit the Lessor, or its agent, to enter into the Premises for the purposes of inspection at all reasonable times during daylight hours, upon giving 7 (seven) days prior notice in writing.

5.Not to make any alterations or additions to the Premises without prior written consent of the Lessor. Any and all alterations made by the Lessee to the Premises shall become the property of the Lessor.

6.Not to assign or sublet the Premises or any part thereof without prior written consent of the Lessor.

7.Not to do or permit to be done on the Premises anything which may be a nuisance or interference with the quiet enjoyment of the neighbouring premises or their occupants.

8.Not to permit more than one servant to reside on the Premises.

9.Not to permit the servant to entertain guests or relatives on the Premises.

10.Not to store or bring into the Premises any article of a combustible, inflammable, dangerous or illegal nature.

B.The Lessor AGREES AS FOLLOWS:

1.The Lessor warrants and guarantees that it is the sole owner of the Premises and has the unrestricted right to let the same, and that the Lessee shall be fully compensated should the rights of the Lessee hereunder be interrupted by whosoever, or by any reason whatsoever.

2.That the Lessee, duly paying the rent and observing and performing several covenants herein contained, shall peacefully hold and enjoy the Premises during the term of this agreement, without any interruption by the Lessor or its agent.

3.To pay all property taxes and assessments that may be levied against the Premises, or the rental thereof and to adequately insure the Premises.

4.To be responsible for the major repair of the Premises, including the building, the structure and the breakdown of appliances etc.

C.It is Expressly agreed and declared that the Lessor and the Lessee as follows:

1. Should the Premises be destroyed or rendered un-inhabitable due to Fire, Flood, Earthquake, Act of God, War or Civil Commotion, and cannot be restored to a habitable condition within 30 (thirty) days, then the lease shall be terminated and any prepaid rent, and the Deposit shall be refunded to the Lessee.

2.Should the Lessee vacate the Premises before the termination of the lease for reasons other than those in Clause D(1), then the Agreement shall be terminated and the deposit refunded to the Lessee, provided that such termination does not take place within the first 12 (twelve) months of the lease, and that the Lessee gives at least 60 (sixty) days prior notice of the termination, in writing to the Lessor, otherwise the Lessee shall forfeit the Deposit to the Lessor.

3.Thai Law governs this agreement.

This agreement is made in duplicate, with identical wording. Both parties have read and fully understood its contents and agree to comply with the terms and conditions. Therefore in WITNESS THEREOF, both parties have hereunder affixed their signatures in the presence of witnesses, on the date and place written above.

LESSOR WITNESS

…………………………………………. ………………………………………….

LESSEE WITNESS

…………………………………………. ………………………………………….

Where is a good place to look for the used appliances as I have never been to Sattahip. The same with furniture etc. Would it be better to buy in Pattaya,Rayong, Bkk or in Sattahip?

Normally electrical and good quality furniture better in Pattaya. Used or even new thai standard furniture better in Sattahip.

Don't know what your paying for rent, but as an example I would expect a 2 bed, 2 shower, brick built bungalow to go for about 6,500 baht a month.

Thanks for the info!

I guess when we get there we will have to check out the area and figure out what we need. I am a little unhappy that we have to buy appliances as i am not used to that in the states.

To answer your question on whether appliances will cost you here what they do in the states, the answer is a resounding NO. Not only will you pay a lot more here but the quality will be far lower. The US has an infinite number of items and places to buy them. It is like a dream there with all of the choice. Here you will be very limited and prices won't vary much from one retailer to the next. Thailand has a situation which could be construed as price fixing. Happy shopping

• 2 years later...