Bangkok: Chula students celebrate graduation with Hitler

webfact

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm is using Hitler as a celebration mural any different to images of Buddha on the outside of public buildings in a European country which Thais found offensive. Neither is right and if you complain about one then you should accept the alter ego.

Totally different!

• Like 1

If only 66% of US teenagers (and I'm sure this would equally apply to any of the Allies) know that Hitler is associated with Germany, I shudder to think how few know what he actually did.

This may be all well and true. But whether they know exactly who he was, where he was from, or what he did... there' s an innate awareness they aren't about to name their next kid "Adolf" and that there's something inherently inappropriate about wearing a swastika. And when westerners make mistakes about such things, as in the case of Britain's Prince Harry's Halloween costume some years ago, the backlash is immediate and strong and people recognize their stupidity.

Putting up fried chicken shops and posters of "superheroes" using the Hitler theme make the statement that (and freedom of speech aside... we know that doesn't exist in Thailand... let's be serious!): Thailand, as a country/culture/people, doesn't give a sh*t about what happened 70 years ago to some Jews, Poles, gypsies, and infirmed people... that was then, this is now, sabai sabai, sanuk sanuk, and every wang chung tonight.

Not a stellar image to project if Chula expects to be regarded as the Harvard/Yale/Oxford of SE Asia.

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Just assuming you're serious for a moment, Mao killed by the million only his own people, and that by accident. Hitler deliberately murdered tens of millions of Europeans and others as a part of his attempt at world domination, and specifically tried to exterminate the whole Jewish race. Can you see the difference?

", Mao killed by the million only his own people, and that by accident. "

Really? Seems the Chula students are not the only ones with no grasp of history!

" At least 45 million people were worked, starved or beaten to death in China over these four years; the worldwide death toll of the Second World War was 55 million."

From 'The Worst Genocides of the 20th and 21st Centuries -

Mao Ze-Dong (China, 1958-61 and 1966-69, Tibet 1949-50) 49-78,000,000

That's one hell of an accident

• Like 1

OK so whats the white critter with the red lips next to superman?blink.png

And why is there a chick (as in chicken) in profile wearing shades to the right?w00t.gif

I'm so confused.

It's a post-modern pastiche that re-appropriates everything while being totally indifferent of other existing narratives.

Hope this clears it up.

• Like 2

Hitler is Hitler.

Mao is Mao.

Stalin is Stalin.

Pol Pot is Pol Pot.

It's not a dead bodies competition.

Each case has it's own specific history.

I would submit the average college educated Thai (who didn't study foreign affairs or similar) would not know any of those people. Maybe Pol Pot.

Not even Pol Pot, I assure you.

If only 66% of US teenagers (and I'm sure this would equally apply to any of the Allies) know that Hitler is associated with Germany, I shudder to think how few know what he actually did.

This may be all well and true. But whether they know exactly who he was, where he was from, or what he did... there' s an innate awareness they aren't about to name their next kid "Adolf" and that there's something inherently inappropriate about wearing a swastika. And when westerners make mistakes about such things, as in the case of Britain's Prince Harry's Halloween costume some years ago, the backlash is immediate and strong and people recognize their stupidity.

Putting up fried chicken shops and posters of "superheroes" using the Hitler theme make the statement that (and freedom of speech aside... we know that doesn't exist in Thailand... let's be serious!): Thailand, as a country/culture/people, doesn't give a sh*t about what happened 70 years ago to some Jews, Poles, gypsies, and infirmed people... that was then, this is now, sabai sabai, sanuk sanuk, and every wang chung tonight.

Not a stellar image to project if Chula expects to be regarded as the Harvard/Yale/Oxford of SE Asia.

Is this just more of the Thainess we hear so much about now?

Edited by bigbamboo

This is unbelievable, they spelt congratulation right ;)

I haven't read the other 10 pages yet but CONGRATULATION is wrong!

There is an "s" missing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Hitler is Hitler.

Mao is Mao.

Stalin is Stalin.

Pol Pot is Pol Pot.

It's not a dead bodies competition.

Each case has it's own specific history.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.oh my.. time to move on ladies its boring now....thailand+ education=0..goodnight....coffee1.gif

Edited by winstonc

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Just assuming you're serious for a moment, Mao killed by the million only his own people, and that by accident. Hitler deliberately murdered tens of millions of Europeans and others as a part of his attempt at world domination, and specifically tried to exterminate the whole Jewish race. Can you see the difference?

Sorry, but your data are wrong. Mao caused the direct killing between of 6 to 10 million people in China. Only on the tibet were 800.000 deads.

In the "laolai" 50 millions of people were imprisioned and it's estimated 20 millions were killed on them

So.....Mao was much worst than Hitler in terms of death. And seriously, I do not believe Mao give much better conditions to the politic prisioners than hitler.

Of course, this doesn't make Hitler a good person, but Mao was worst in my opinion

It's not just about body counts! Hitler destroyed countries, cultrues, and would liked to have wiped out certain races of peoples too. Germany caused two devestating world wars in a relatively short times space which cost the lives of many millions and changed the world forever. China suffered terribly under Japanese imperial forces, and then had to suffer communism under Mao. China has not caused world wars.

yet

Who gives?

So next time we see images of Hitler on Discovery or in a magazine, we have to report it so forums like this can post drivel after drivel?

It's not important and the young American should really not be shocked by images of a notorious tyrant like Hitler.

Man up dude!

This is going to be hard for the "Swastikas are Buddhist meme" apologists as there is NO swastika in this one.

Also, this Hitler doesn't look at all like Charlie Chaplin, so forget that excuse too.

I think this is actually a seriously offensive thing, coming from a so called elite educational institution in Thailand.

Would it be so hard to teach about Hitler and Nazism?

Would it be so hard to teach that Neo-Nazis today in Russia are targeting Asian people racially for violence and killings?

To those who say we're meddling westerners, I say, Thailand wake up to reality, it could use some meddling with its continuing shameful flirting with Hitler. Nazis and Hitler aren't heroes. Neo Nazi movements still exist today and they are something to be fought against, not propped up as something cool or a fashion statement.

Fair enough. But then again, I was never taught about Tojo and the Rape of Nanking or the Khmer Rouge when I went to school in Canada. Nor did I learn about Stalin's or Mao's actions which also led to the deaths of millions. WWII Germany might as well have been on another planet as far as Thailand is concerned.

Edited by Docno

This so misses the mark. Where the f k did Chairman Mao get into this? Where is the grey matter here. There are superheroes on the banner, not political figures.

It is either a poor joke to create controversy, or a dumb mistake.

I have to say I was a little surprised when I came here and was discussing musical tastes with my doxy, and she hadn't heard of the Beatles. Considering her university age, age, I guess if you haven't heard of the Beatles, then why would you know who Hitler was?

The whole thing is fairly sad, no matter what you think of it. It's ignorance.

What it has to do with Chairman Mao only technologybytes would know. Here we have a poster trying to imitate a poster. Now that's really useless.

The Thais who site Hitler's name know exactly who this man is and what he stood for; thoses on this forum who seem to think Thai people don;t know who Hilter is then they are the neive and are rightly so living in the country best suited to their understanding

Nothing about a western value, most places in the world, including Japan, Singapore, and Malaysia, don't celebrate Adolph Hitler on murals next to super heroes. Given the lack of any kind of understanding of history here, amazing they were able to come up with the Fuhrer as opposed to say Gandhi or Nelson Mandela.

• Like 1

Really, condemning the celebration of genocide is a western value? News to me. Hitler and Mao are both examples of people whose genocidal lunacy should never be forgotten. Hitler industrialised genocide and celebration of his evil must be opposed every time it happens.

At the Siam Cultural Center in Ratchaburi they have a wax statue of Mao. http://www.scppark.com/place01.php scroll down for pictures

Who said Chula was one of the top Uni in the country ? well they probably never went to world History courses.... if there are any .which is not sure.

Chulalongkorn is considered the Oxford-Cambridge-Harvard-Yale of Thai education. Thammasat is a little way off as #2.

In reality, the Oxbridge unis in England are not the top ones for many subjects (e.g. Economists at LSE are the elite, science at Imperial College).

Likewise universities like Khon Kaen University have been hailed as offering better courses in various subjects.

But can they spell "congratulations"?.

Who said Chula was one of the top Uni in the country ? well they probably never went to world History courses.... if there are any .which is not sure.

Chulalongkorn is considered the Oxford-Cambridge-Harvard-Yale of Thai education. Thammasat is a little way off as #2.

In reality, the Oxbridge unis in England are not the top ones for many subjects (e.g. Economists at LSE are the elite, science at Imperial College).

Likewise universities like Khon Kaen University have been hailed as offering better courses in various subjects.

And all of them need serious help.

• Like 2

Who gives?

So next time we see images of Hitler on Discovery or in a magazine, we have to report it so forums like this can post drivel after drivel?

It's not important and the young American should really not be shocked by images of a notorious tyrant like Hitler.

Man up dude!

It's not the image that is the issue but the message it is used to convey. This poster is admiring hitler and that is why I give. The crimes of hitler are the personification of evil. The day I stop caring about the genocide this man was responsible for will never arrive. Hitler was more than a tyrant, he was a hate filled genocidal lunatic. Edited by Bluespunk

and to think a few months ago i read the headline that thailand would be "a hub" for education in SEA , ........headlines like this shows how bad education here really is !