Bangkok: Chula students celebrate graduation with Hitler

webfact

Shame on Thailand! Shame on Thai 'Elite' ! Because this University is their stronghold. Thailand is the Nazi Germany of the East.

When facing ugly things in life many people choose a 'softer' target to punish. Call me an extremist, but I think a good shootout between the rival groups with a few dead and wounded would be much more 'educational'.

OK.

You are an extremist. bah.gif

OK. Fine by me, if you say so. To have a perfect harmony, why not say what are you?

Do you consider this incident a harmless prank of young silly kids?

Do you belong to those who say this is of no consequence?

Do you believe it is none of our business, so let them march to any tune they like?

Is all you are capable of - say that I am an extremist?

The next thing I expect from you is to say - "You said it yourself" ... very safe, very convincing and a very strong position at the trying times...

I think equating Thailand to Nazi Germany, and calling for a shootout between 2 education groups, is extreme, and stupid to boot.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so whats the white critter with the red lips next to

Superman

And why is there a chick (as in chicken) in profile wearing shades to the right?

I'm so confused.

I think the chicken looking thing might be Howard the Duck painted yellow...dunno.

The yellow bird is the "canary in the coal mine" wearing nuclear blast shades. He is expecting imminent doom

or

he is a Hitler chicken who is looking at the bright future of HFC.

The white character with red lips represents the general public.

confused, shapeless, hapless, lacking true knowledge of events. Yet it has a big mouth, that spews out spiteful, vitriolic rhetoric. Hate born out of a festering resentment of it's bondage by an elite cabal.

Or

It could just be Casper the friendly ghost.

Edited by Phil Conners
quote repaired
  • Like 1

I don't think there is an actual Neo-Nazi movement in Thailand. For that, we should be happy. This kind of thing simply reflects IGNORANCE.

Somehow, it's not especially surprising that the Thai educational system isn't anxious to go back and educate its students well about the World War II era and Thailand's role in those times.

But more broadly, most Thais seems to have pretty much zero sense of world history and not much better when it comes to world geography.

• Like 1

It would be nice to hear from the students or whoever made this backdrop - I guess it was a joint effort. Perhaps someone could explain their choice of images on the design and how and why they were chosen....it would make a loy=t more sense that the baseless surmises one is getting on this thread.

It would be nice to hear from the students or whoever made this backdrop - I guess it was a joint effort. Perhaps someone could explain their choice of images on the design and how and why they were chosen....it would make a loy=t more sense that the baseless surmises one is getting on this thread.

I think the work speaks for itself actually.

This is going to be hard for the "Swastikas are Buddhist meme" apologists as there is NO swastika in this one.

Also, this Hitler doesn't look at all like Charlie Chaplin, so forget that excuse too.

I think this is actually a seriously offensive thing, coming from a so called elite educational institution in Thailand.

Would it be so hard to teach about Hitler and Nazism?

Would it be so hard to teach that Neo-Nazis today in Russia are targeting Asian people racially for violence and killings?

To those who say we're meddling westerners, I say, Thailand wake up to reality, it could use some meddling with its continuing shameful flirting with Hitler. Nazis and Hitler aren't heroes. Neo Nazi movements still exist today and they are something to be fought against, not propped up as something cool or a fashion statement.

This is going to be hard for the "Swastikas are Buddhist meme" apologists as there is NO swastika in this one.

Also, this Hitler doesn't look at all like Charlie Chaplin, so forget that excuse too.

I think this is actually a seriously offensive thing, coming from a so called elite educational institution in Thailand.

Would it be so hard to teach about Hitler and Nazism?

Would it be so hard to teach that Neo-Nazis today in Russia are targeting Asian people racially for violence and killings?

To those who say we're meddling westerners, I say, Thailand wake up to reality, it could use some meddling with its continuing shameful flirting with Hitler. Nazis and Hitler aren't heroes. Neo Nazi movements still exist today and they are something to be fought against, not propped up as something cool or a fashion statement.

Are you suggesting that the designers of this backdrop know there is a connection between the black and white image of "hitler" and the colourful Swastika?

Are you suggesting that the designers of this backdrop know there is a connection between the black and white image of "hitler" and the colourful Swastika?

Sounds like some kind of trick tangential question. My original post said what I wanted to say.

And why is there a chick (as in chicken) in profile wearing shades to the right?

I'm so confused.

I think the chicken looking thing might be Howard the Duck painted yellow...dunno.

The yellow bird is the "canary in the coal mine" wearing nuclear blast shades. He is expecting imminent doom

or

he is a Hitler chicken who is looking at the bright future of HFC.

You need to be put out of your confusion and your misery. That duck is a famous duck which as a piece of art was last seen in Hong Kong floating I believe in the region of Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon). The shades are just a silly add-on on the banner. Don't you now feel mightily relieved to have had the matter clarified for you?

post-17813-0-10538500-1373720486_thumb.j

Students at the Thai school have erected a massive graduation mural in their middle of their campus that inexplicably features an image of the German dictator heiling.

Maybe if the Coconuts writers had gone to a university they would have known that there's no such word as "heiling".

Students at the Thai school have erected a massive graduation mural in their middle of their campus that inexplicably features an image of the German dictator heiling.

Maybe if the Coconuts writers had gone to a university they would have known that there's no such word as "heiling".

crazy.gif Blimey, if it's good enough for the London Review of Books it's good enough for Coconuts! crazy.gif

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v23/n12/geoffrey-best/heiling-hitler

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

crazy.gif Blimey, if it's good enough for the London Review of Books it's good enough for Coconuts! crazy.gif

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v23/n12/geoffrey-best/heiling-hitler

It's only used in the title - still not a recognised word. You can't just add "-ing" to a noun and call it a verb. wacko.png

If you could do that, I suppose the process would be called "verbing". tongue.png

Uh-oh, too late. Verbing is already happening... http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarfaq/f/verbingfaq.htm sad.png

If they would had painted a picture of Thaksin, they had insulted more people in Thailand, most of them didn't/do not know anything about WWII at all.

Ask 1000 people about they history of the bridge over river Kwai, and you might 1 who tells the the right story, and he probably didn't finish Mathayom, but learned from staying up late watching movies

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Well, when you do not study world history, geography, or have any perspective on the world, he is just a Figure like chairman Mao. But if you know anything about anything, you know what a pig and insect this freak was. So, please do not be a Thai apologist. It demeans you. There is a certain level of responsibility that comes with being a citizen of the world. Is it too much to ask that a tiny amount of world history is included in that? Is absolute insularity an excuse for every shortcoming in life? Since when?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You can't just add "-ing" to a noun and call it a verb.

Maybe a good topic for pedant.com .... coffee1.gif

I was thinking that very same thing! biggrin.png

Maybe I can start a thread elsewhere on TV?

So, back to Chula and Hilter...

This evening I was waiting by the roadside for the boss to be deposited at my feet by a fellow worker who gives her a lift home. Acros the soi was a motor cycle taxi stand. One of the riders looked across at me and raised his right arm in the air indicating that he wanted to know if I wanted to hire his services. I shook my head and then his raised arm brought back memories. I raised my right arm aloft and in front of me and placed my left index finger under my nose and parallel to my lips. Then I goosestepped about 10 yards, just as we kids did so long ago. He burst into laughter. He, in my view, knew who Hitler was, so why not some of Thailand's brightest? As bright as a Toc H lamp maybe?

This should bring a smile.

British humour in adversity. I understand that Adolf and his mates were totally pissed that coded messages passed to resistance groups in Ocupied Europe were preceeded by the first few bars of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, Ludwig of course being German. Those who know their classical music will realise the significance. Dot dot dot dash in Morse code is V V for Victory V is of course by coincidence is in Roman numbers, five.

Why not? Is anyone really offended?

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Hitler was a genocidal maniac and should not be so casually included in a graduation mural.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps the students are bit smarter than you give them credit for and included it so they could get some free publicity and marvel at everyone getting upset about it.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Very strange Thai university students would put a picture of Hitler among superheros when Hitler would think of Thais being no better than monkeys.

Monkeys?

Why?

Because they are Asian and not "Aryan"?

You do realize that Germany and Japan were quite aligned, I suppose.

During that 2nd World War?

Perhaps just in this small issue Hitler was not far from the mark?

-They are fascinated by smart looking uniforms, no matter what is behind them;

-They are ignorant despite best education received;

-They have no capacity for critical thinking despite best education received;

-Their time, their Idols, their culture, their customs are locked in stone for millenia;

-They never will pay any attention to anything outside their own pack;

Hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing - the epitome of the Proverbial Monkey.

I can't stop thinking of R. Kipling and Bandar Log.

Phew,... hate even to think on this small issue like Adolph,... but then I've missed a Degree at Chula... tongue.png

Sorry, but I think I must object, because, again, the type of thinking that your comment implies seems too akin to ethnic or cultural racism, which should be obvious to most educated readers. I would guess that not very many Thais feel this degree of racial bias against any nationality, ethnic or religious group that visits Thailand.

Since you mention Kipling, I wonder if he might have thought or written anything expressing the degree of racism which I find in your comments? Very doubtful, I would say.

. I raised my right arm aloft and in front of me and placed my left index finger under my nose and parallel to my lips. Then I goosestepped about 10 yards, just as we kids did so long ago. He burst into laughter. He, in my view, knew who Hitler was,

Just as likely, he knew who Basil Fawlty was...

As Winston Churchill stated - "the victors write the history"

And it's always been that way - who knows what really happened - history is rarely correct.

Example - grand daddy Bush funded Hitler through the Union Bank - I did not read that at school...

Look it up.

In the Thai way of thinking the holocaust didn't happen in Thailand, so why care about it!

Most Americans would not think or care about it as well were it not for the Weisenthal foundation constantly reminding us not to forget. Meanwhile, maybe 1 out of 50 Americans could find Germany or Thailand on a map in 30 seconds or less.

And it's always been that way - who knows what really happened - history is rarely correct.

Example - grand daddy Bush funded Hitler through the Union Bank - I did not read that at school...

Look it up.

The Pope supported and rode along with Hitler in parades.
  • Like 1

Look it up.

The Pope supported and rode along with Hitler in parades.

The Vatican at the time was supportive of Hitler and also fascism in Italy. Seriously, that isn't news to anyone who knows basic history of WW2. The Vatican has since (weakly) apologized for this. Is the Vatican TODAY launching Hitler parades? No.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/65889.stm

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2