Whats this DTAC Trinet all about?

KRS1

In Pattaya 2100mhz in 12call much faster than 850 networks.

AIS uses 900 and 2100Mhz. DTAC and True use 850 and 2100Mhz. Where you on an 850Mhz DTAC or True plan before?

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Pattaya 2100mhz in 12call much faster than 850 networks.

AIS uses 900 and 2100Mhz. DTAC and True use 850 and 2100Mhz. Where you on an 850Mhz DTAC or True plan before?

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

Yes just before trinet.

It was quite good speeds and good coverage. Coverage was best from all sims i tested and i tested them all.

But i think ais faster and better 2100 coverage in pattaya.

Ais 2100 works by mimosa. Trinet very week or not at all.

True move h dont use 2100 in pattaya. Even customer service says so. True speeds slow.

http://www.cccurrencyexchange.com

A couple times today I played with signal strength measurements of DTAC 850Mhz and 2100Mhz in and around my moobaan in western Bangkok (Khet Talingchan) real close to the Outer Ring Road/#9 and inside my 2 story concrete home. My area of western Bangkok is basically single family homes/townhouses and low-rise buildings (5 stories or less)….no 10, 20, 50, etc., story office or condo buildings over in this part of Bangkok. It’s basically the surburbs which still has a lot of open space….it’s basially somewhat between a rural setting and a center of the city settings.

As you may remember from my earlier posts when I was switched from DTAC 3G 850MHz to DTAC TriNet which uses 3G 2100 and 850Mhz a few days ago I immediately noticed a major drop in signal strength and a significant drop in speed. Basically, with my Android phone (a Samsung S4) set to Automatically Select my network provider and frequency it would always select 2100Mhz as the first choice and apparently only switch to 850Mhz if losing the 2100Mhz signal. Of course when set to “Automatic Selection” your network provider, DTAC in my case, is really controlling which frequency you connect to.

When I called DTAC customer service about the lower 2100Mhz signal level/slower speed the rep said TriNet is suppose to connect you to the “strongest” signal between 2100 and 850Mhz , but it sure ain’t working that way from me because 850Mhz has a significantly stronger signal strength in my area…I mean like around 30dbm stronger . So, what I ended up doing is not using the Automatic Network selection on my phone, but instead either manually selecting 850Mhz (shows up as “dtac” on a network scan) and 2100Mhz shows up as “DTAC” on a network scan….when you do this it will not automatically switch between 2100 and 850 frequencies, except it will still switch to 1800Mhz (the 2G Edge frequency) if you lose connection to the 2100/850 frequencies. And remember from my earlier posts if you are not on Trinet yet your network scans will probably show “DTAC” which is 850Mhz and “dtac Trinet” which is 2100Mhz…but when you are switched to Trinet your network scan will show “DTAC” which is now 2100Mhz and “dtac” which is 850Mhz…when on TriNet the networks are retitled. I guess DTAC wants to signify its 2100Mhz frequency with “DTAC” in upper case letters and its 850Mhz frequency with “dtac” in lower case letters. And remember I was able to confirm the actual frequencies by dialing that Android secret number of “ *#0011# ”…then look on the second or third line of the screen that appears and you see the frequency you are connected to.

Today/Sunday around 1pm I jumped in my SUV with the App “Network Signal Info” running so I could see power/dbm levels and drove outside/around my moobaan by taking roads that took me a complete circle around my moobaan at about a radius of 1 to 2 kilometers out. I really didn’t need to use the App “Network Signal Info” to display signal strength dbm levels…I could have just selected About Device, then Status, on my phone and then just looked at the Signal Strength readout given in dbm and asu. But I used Network Signal Info since it also would graph out the signal showing me graphically how the signal varied in strength as I drove around the roads. For almost the whole trip I had the 3G frequency set to 2100Mhz. During the great majority of the drive the 2100Mhz signal levels were in the -85 to -110dbm range and for about a 100 meters I hit a dead zone and the dbm reading went to -113dbm, which is where the reading sensitivity stops and which means you have lost the signal.

Now at one point while on the Outer Ring/#9 service road for a few kilometers I saw I was getting a real peak in 2100Mhz signal strength close to a tower….I parked on the side of the service road for about 10 minutes to take some better readings. I was getting a -63dbm 2100Mhz reading which is very strong….on my phone you get 4 bars strength with anything less than or equal to -90dbm (i.e., -90, -89, -85, etc). I guessimate I was about 200 meters from the tower. I also did a 2100Mhz Speedtest.net test at this spot and got a 17.58Mb down/3.28Mb up. This is the only time I did any speed testing on my drive…I just wanted to see what 2100Mhz speed I got with a strong/4 bars/real close to the tower signal. I then manually switched to the 850Mhz to see what the signal strength was and it was a -51dbm…..even stronger….I didn’t do a speedtest. I then set the connection back to 2100Mhz and continued my drive around and in the moobaan. My moobaan is large consisting of around 750 houses/numerous soi’s and I got 2100Mhz signal strengths in the 85 to 105dbm range. It seemed the Northeast part of my moobaan had the strongest 2100Mhz signal which I think is the direction the 3G tower covering our moobaan is located according to another app (OpenSignal) that indicated the tower was somewhere Northeast of the moobaan. The results of my drive basically showed me my whole moobaan and the area surrounding the moobaan has a low DTAC 2100Mhz signal strength; but the DTAC 850Mhz signal strength is strong.

Speaking of signal strength from comparing actual “dbm” signal strengths to how many “bars” that displays on your phone (ie.., 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 bars), for my S4 here’s how it goes (maybe it’s the same for other smartphones):

-90 dbm or stronger: 4 bars

-91 to -100 dbm: 3 bars

-101 to -105 dbm: 2 bars

-106 to -112 dbm: 1 bar

-113 dbm: 0 bars…lost signal. Dbm reading won’t go any lower that -113 (i.e, -114, -115, etc)

Now, when slowly walking around inside my 2 story concrete house this evening, when on 850Mhz my dbm readings range from -59 to -89…I always had 4 bars. When on 2100Mhz my readings ranged from -89dbm (4 bars just in one small spot of my house in the master bedroom upstairs which has lots of windows to let the signal in) to -113dbm (yes, completely lost the signal) which means I had 4 bars in that one small spot of the house,….3 bars (-91 to -100 dbm) in a few spots,… but for the majority of the house and all of downstairs I had either 2 bars (-101 to -105 dbm) or 1 bar (-106 to -112dbm)…and in my kitchen I had 0 bars/no connection (-113dbm). Switch back to 850Mhz and I had a -89 dbm (4 bars) reading in the kitchen. I think this goes to show the building penetration ability of 2100Mhz is significantly less than 850Mhz….higher the frequency the less the ability to penetrated material/structures….and like we also mentioned earlier 2100Mhz has less range than 850Mhz when transmitting at equal power levels.

I also thing above power level readings give some good examples of how the 2100Mhz signal strength can be more easily degraded/impacted by buildings, where your residence/condo may be on the side of the building pointing around form the tower, what floor you live on, what other structures may be between you and the tower signal, etc. And when the signal strength is degraded that can also affect your speeds. I seems in my testing that if you are getting 3 or 4 bars your speed won’t be affected, but 2 or 1 bars the speed is “probably” going to be reduced significantly. How much will the speed be affected…hard to tell. Today in the house when I had a 2100Mhz -111dbm/1 bar signal strength (just barely still connected) I got a Speedtest.net result of 1.6Mb down/0.18Mb up…although both download and upload speeds can be affected by low signal strength it seems in my testing the upload speed is impacted much more than download speed…..download speed still take a hit but the upload speed seems to take a big hit.

Just FYI/crossfeed on my DTAC 3G 2100Mhz/850Mhz signal strength playing around today. My phone will remain set to 850Mhz since I get much stronger signal strength and higher speeds….and hopefully DTAC will put some more 2100Mhz towers/radios in my area in the near future to improve the signal strength/speed. You results may (will) vary depending on your location….how many subscribers in your area/hanging on your tower…distance from the tower….structures impacting your signal….guess it comes down to Location, Location, Location. And please don’t assume 2100Mhz will give you faster speed than the 850 or 900MHz you have been on…maybe it will…maybe it won’t. Remember, 2100Mhz is using the same transmission protocol at 850/900Mhz…2100Mhz is only a higher frequency and I guess does allow more subscribers/bandwidth per tower/radio in comparison to a 850/900Mhz tower/radio.

Was doing my 90 day address report today at Cheang Wattana/Bangkok Immigration (i.e, northern Bangkok). While setting in the 90 day address reporting room waiting from my queue number to be called I checked the DTAC 2100 and 850Mhz signal strength levels. For 2100Mhz it was -93dbm (3 bars) and the 850Mhz was -67dbm (4 bars). Any signal of -90dbm or stronger (i.e., -89, -88, etc) provides 4 bars on my Sansung S4. But outside the immigration building I did have around a -85dbm 2100Mhz signal strength.

I didn't do any speedtests as I've used up almost 400MB of my 2GB monthly allotment this billing cycle in during speedtests right after being switched onto TriNet on 16 Aug....done enough to show me the speeds for 850Mhz and 2100Mhz are very similar "when the power levels" are similar/healthy (say 3 or 4 bars) because the transmission protocol being used is the same...just a different carrier frequency is being used. When you start seeing 1 or 2 bars in signal strength the download/upload speeds are affected (reduced) more...upload speed seems to be affected significantly more than download speed. Your results may vary depending on your location, power level being received, model of phone (some lower end/mid priced models may only handle 3G speeds up to 7.2Mb), how many folks are using your local 3G tower at any particular time, etc.

More then signal strenght we interested in speeds.

We know 850 is stronger specialy in buildings.

And signal strength has a direct impact on speed...and of course even getting a 3G connection. Done enough signal/speed tests over the last week for that to become abundantly clear to me...used up almost 400MB in such tests....that's enough MBs used up until I get close to the end of this billing cycle. And I could drive a mere kilometer away to where I can get a strong vs weak 2100Mhz signal and the speed would be very similar/as fast as my 850Mhz speed.

Sent from my tablet

And signal strength has a direct impact on speed...and of course even getting a 3G connection. Done enough signal/speed tests over the last week for that to become abundantly clear to me...used up almost 400MB in such tests....that's enough MBs used up until I get close to the end of this billing cycle. And I could drive a mere kilometer away to where I can get a strong vs weak 2100Mhz signal and the speed would be very similar/as fast as my 850Mhz speed.

Sent from my tablet

So would u say 4 bars 1200 is faster then 4 bars 850?

Iv been testing Dtac 3G in various places while iv been doing visa runs and it's very poor even 2 miles out f big cities, they do not even have 3G in ekami bus station, trinet will have to be a lot better for me to stay

Assuming you are indeed registered on TriNet (2100 and 850 3G network frequencies) versus still being registered on their 850 3G network frequency only, you could probably get better reception by going into your phone's Network Operators selection menus and instead of allowing the phone to "Select Automatically" the network carrier, select manually by selecting "dtac" which is the 850Mhz and also set your Data Roaming on...if Data Roaming is turned off it won't connect to 850 after you have switched to TriNet. This will cause the phone to select and only use the 850Mhz and the Edge 1800Mhz if no 3G signal....it won't connect to the 2100Mhz.

Now if you select "DTAC" this will cause the phone to select and only use the 2100Mhz and the Edge 1800Mhz if no 3G signal....you shouldn't need to have Data Roaming on but you can leave it on if you want to because unless you have international roaming activated with DTAC any roaming you do, that is switching back and forth between DTAC 2100 and DTAC 850, will only be on the DTAC network which incurs no roaming charge.

If you allow the phone to "Select Automatically" it will probably initially connect to the "strongest signal level between 850 and 2100...mostly likely 850 since 850 seems to be the strongest...as least in my testing at numerous locations so far. However, but, within approx. 10 to 30 minutes your phone will automatically switch to 2100Mhz even with a significantly weaker 2100 signal level. That is what it does on my Samsung S4.

Seems once you switch to DTAC Trinet from the standard DTAC, then DTAC Trinet is setup to make 2100Mhz the primary/first choice frequency and the 850Mhz the secondary/second choice frequency. So, when DTAC sends a request to your phone to switch from 850 to 2100 if your phone network selection was set to "Select Automatically" it will switch to 2100Mhz. But if you had used the manual selection method to pick 850Mz if won't switch to 2100Mhz; so goes if you used the manual selection to select 2100Mhz in that it won't switch to 850Mhz. I guess basically what I'm saying once you are on TriNet you can either manually select the 3G frequency you want to use all the time....or let DTAC do the switching back and forth to 2100/850Mhz for you, but it will probably keep you on the 2100Mhz frequency and not automatically switch you to 850 until you totally lose the 2100Mhz signal.

Yes, by doing this manual selection route your a basically stopping Trinet from automatically switching between its 3 frequencies (2100/1800/850); instead it will just automatically switch between 2 frequencies...either 2100/1800 or 850/1800 depending which primary 3G freq (850 or 2100) you manually selected.

Just FYI in case your weak signal is really being caused by your phone connecting to the DTAC 2100Mhz all the time. Heck, in places where I could get no 2100Mhz or it was very weak, the 850Mhz signal was always strong (3 or 4 bars). Your results may vary.

And if you got an Android phone you can try dialing *#0011# and if it works it will show you the frequency you are currently connected to on the 2nd or 3d line of the display....or at least this works on my S4....seems to work on a lot of Samsung phones based on blogs I've read.

Iv been testing Dtac 3G in various places while iv been doing visa runs and it's very poor even 2 miles out f big cities, they do not even have 3G in ekami bus station, trinet will have to be a lot better for me to stay

Assuming you are indeed registered on TriNet (2100 and 850 3G network frequencies) versus still being registered on their 850 3G network frequency only, you could probably get better reception by going into your phone's Network Operators selection menus and instead of allowing the phone to "Select Automatically" the network carrier, select manually by selecting "dtac" which is the 850Mhz and also set your Data Roaming on...if Data Roaming is turned off it won't connect to 850 after you have switched to TriNet.  This will cause the phone to select and only use the 850Mhz and the Edge 1800Mhz if no 3G signal....it won't connect to the 2100Mhz.

Now if you select "DTAC" this will cause the phone to select and only use the 2100Mhz and the Edge 1800Mhz if no 3G signal....you shouldn't need to have Data Roaming on but you can leave it on if you want to because unless you have international roaming activated with DTAC any roaming you do, that is switching back and forth between DTAC 2100 and DTAC 850, will only be on the DTAC network which incurs no roaming charge. 

If you allow the phone to "Select Automatically" it will probably initially connect to the "strongest signal level between 850 and 2100...mostly likely 850 since 850 seems to be the strongest...as least in my testing at numerous locations so far.  However, but, within approx. 10 to 30 minutes your phone will automatically switch to 2100Mhz even with a significantly weaker 2100 signal level.   That is what it does on my Samsung S4. 

Seems once you switch to DTAC Trinet from the standard DTAC, then DTAC Trinet is setup to make 2100Mhz the primary/first choice frequency and the 850Mhz the secondary/second choice frequency.  So, when DTAC sends a request to your phone to switch from 850 to 2100 if your phone network selection was set to "Select Automatically" it will switch to 2100Mhz.  But if you had used the manual selection method to pick 850Mz if won't switch to 2100Mhz; so goes if you used the manual selection to select 2100Mhz in that it won't switch to 850Mhz.   I guess basically what I'm saying once you are on TriNet you can either manually select the 3G frequency you want to use all the time....or let DTAC do the switching back and forth to 2100/850Mhz for you, but it will probably keep you on the 2100Mhz frequency and not automatically switch you to 850 until you totally lose the 2100Mhz signal.   

Yes, by doing this manual selection route your a basically stopping Trinet from automatically switching between its 3 frequencies (2100/1800/850); instead it will just automatically switch between 2 frequencies...either 2100/1800 or 850/1800 depending which primary 3G freq (850 or 2100) you manually selected.

Just FYI in case your weak signal is really being caused by your phone connecting to the DTAC 2100Mhz all the time.   Heck, in places where I could get no 2100Mhz or it was very weak, the 850Mhz signal was always strong (3 or 4 bars).  Your results may vary.

And if you got an Android phone you can try dialing *#0011# and if it works it will show you the frequency you are currently connected to on the 2nd or 3d line of the display....or at least this works on my S4....seems to work on a lot of Samsung phones based on blogs I've read.

*#0011#

On my s4 in ais nit shows it

Some other things

I don't see any frequency indication on your display. Your S4 on AIS displays significantly different than my S4 on DTAC when dialing *#0011#

Below are two screen shots of mine while on 2100Mhz and 850MHz from here at my western Bangkok home. The frequency is displayed on the 3d line from the top....and on the 3d line from the bottom the signal strength level is displayed....notice the 2100Mhz signal level was at a -91dbm and showed 3 bars...but the 850Mhz was significantly stronger than a -90dbm (needed for 4 bars) with a -75dbm level and 4 bars displayed.

post-55970-0-22684400-1377085875_thumb.p post-55970-0-94244600-1377085904_thumb.p

Sent from my tablet

So would u say 4 bars 1200 is faster then 4 bars 850?

Nope...saying the speeds are very similar....850 is as fast as 2100 or 2100 is as fast as 850 in the locations where I ran tests with 4 bar signals.

But your results may vary depending on how many subscribers are using the tower you are connecting to/sucking on the available bandwidth from that tower. Ex: even if you were real close to the tower...easily getting 4 bars on 2100 or 850.....if the 2100 radio on the tower is max'ed out with users but the 850 radio is not then you would most likely get a faster connection with the 850 radio....and of course the reverse is true. But this would also assume the 2100 and 850 radios have an equal amount of bandwidth to offer out to connections.

In my earlier post I talked about a couple DTAC SMSs I got just before they switched me to TriNet. When they switched me, it was at/shortly after midnight on the first day of my billing cycle.

Now the wife's billing cycle starts the 22nd (today) and yesterday she didn't get any heads-up DTAC SMSs saying she would be switched at/shortly after midnight like I had got....she had got an DTAC SMS a few weeks ago like me saying she would be switched in her Aug cycle. But at 9:30am today she did get a DTAC SMS saying "After 2pm of today your number will be transferred to dtac TriNet. Please keep your phone turned on."

Then a 10am she got another DTAC SMS giving a few instructions like I also got before.

I just did a Network scan on her S4 to see what DTAC networks her phone picks up: she picks up "dtac" and "dtac Trinet", with "dtac" being the 850Mhz see currently connects to and the "dtac Trinet" being 2100Mhz which she cannot connect to until DTAC does the switch. But after the switch the network names/frequencies picked up by her phone will change to "DTAC" for 2100Mhz and "dtac" for 850Mhz...the "dtac Trinet" won't be seen anymore in her network scan....or, this is how it worked when I was switched about a week ago and I bet it will also happen for her. I will confirm later today after the switch.

Just FYI....since they switched me shortl after midnight I figured that might be their routine of doing the switch the first few minutes/hours of you new monthly billing cycle and when most folks have stopped actively using they phone for the day. But in the wife's case they will be switching her on the start of her billing cycle during the daylight working hours....shortly after 2pm.

In my earlier post I talked about a couple DTAC SMSs I got just before they switched me to TriNet. When they switched me, it was at/shortly after midnight on the first day of my billing cycle.

Now the wife's billing cycle starts the 22nd (today) and yesterday she didn't get any heads-up DTAC SMSs saying she would be switched at/shortly after midnight like I had got....she had got an DTAC SMS a few weeks ago like me saying she would be switched in her Aug cycle. But at 9:30am today she did get a DTAC SMS saying "After 2pm of today your number will be transferred to dtac TriNet. Please keep your phone turned on."

Then a 10am she got another DTAC SMS giving a few instructions like I also got before.

I just did a Network scan on her S4 to see what DTAC networks her phone picks up: she picks up "dtac" and "dtac Trinet", with "dtac" being the 850Mhz see currently connects to and the "dtac Trinet" being 2100Mhz which she cannot connect to until DTAC does the switch. But after the switch the network names/frequencies picked up by her phone will change to "DTAC" for 2100Mhz and "dtac" for 850Mhz...the "dtac Trinet" won't be seen anymore in her network scan....or, this is how it worked when I was switched about a week ago and I bet it will also happen for her. I will confirm later today after the switch.

Just FYI....since they switched me shortl after midnight I figured that might be their routine of doing the switch the first few minutes/hours of you new monthly billing cycle and when most folks have stopped actively using they phone for the day. But in the wife's case they will be switching her on the start of her billing cycle during the daylight working hours....shortly after 2pm.

The wife's switch to TriNet occurred at 4:27pm. As mentioned above after the switch the network naming did indeed change to DTAC for the 2100MMhz and dtac for the 850Mhz. As on my phone the 2100Mhz signal was significantly weaker. A little after 5pm we got some heavy-duty rain for about 20 minutes....if on the 2100Mhz connection you would lose the connection...but on the 850Mhz the signal was still strong. Yeap, even rain affects 2100Mhz more than 850Mhz. Just as for my phone, we have set her phone to use the 850Mhz frequency due to the much stronger signal which is also giving us faster 3G speed since the 2100Mhz is just weak in our home area. Your results may (probably will) vary.

Today is 24th August, last few days many of my friends were switched over to TRINET and cannot access any data services whatever settings we choose. No 3g/Edge/H/H+ icons ever appear on the phones. So far we have not managed to contact the call centre as it seems to be inundated. Thai websites indicate many other customers with same problem. Anyone seen any news about this?

Today is 24th August, last few days many of my friends were switched over to TRINET and cannot access any data services whatever settings we choose. No 3g/Edge/H/H+ icons ever appear on the phones. So far we have not managed to contact the call centre as it seems to be inundated. Thai websites indicate many other customers with same problem. Anyone seen any news about this?

Just in case its a weak/no 2100Mhz signal in your area causing your problem, go into you Network Scan area, scan for mobile networks, after about 30 seconds or so networks in your area should appear, manually select the one named "dtac" (not the one named DTAC), turn Mobile Data Roaming On, and restart your phone. Then you will be back on the DTAC 850Mhz.

But before you do that, just turn on Mobile Data roaming because if it is due to a weak 2100Mhz, then just turning on the Mobile Data Roaming may fix your problem....get you on the 850Mhz frequency.

However, once the 2100Mhz frequency because barely strong enough your phone will automatically switch to that if your phone is set to Automatically Select the frequency from your network carrier which is usually the default setting. And if the 2100Mhz signal is weak you'll probably get a slow speed in comparison to a strong 2100Mhz signal.

As the network carrier has some control over which frequency your phone selects when the phone is set to Automatically Select the frequency. When you do the manual frequency selection like I mention in the first paragraph the phone will stay on 850Mhz regardless of how strong the 2100Mhz frequency may get. Same would apply if you did the manual frequency selection for "DTAC" which is the 2100Mhz frequency....it would stay on 2100Mhz not matter how strong, weak, or even no signal.

But I don't know why you are not getting any Edge either which would be on their 1800Mhz frequency before and after Trinet switch.

Edited by Pib

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, we don't know either. We have tried the manual selections, after reading all of the suggestions in this forum. No matter what network we selected, we get no data connection. This is on Galaxy S2, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab 7, Galaxy Note phones. Since we can't get hold of DTAC's call center, we just trawled the web to find that hundreds of people on the Thai websites have the same problem, some have managed to get the call center but have not received any satisfactory assistance. Many have actually asked to be removed from TRINET but have been fobbed off. Since signing up for TRINET actually meant that the phone number has effectively been transferred to a new service provider and re-registered as such, I imagine that DTAC are not in a position to do that easily. I personally have 2 SIMS that have not been registered for TRINET and they work fine.

Having said that, I have always found, in BKK, the EDGE service to be more reliable than so-called 3G. We would be happy to get EDGE back !

Edited by stolidfeline

I sure know I'm not impressed with the signal strength of the 2100Mhz "where I live in western Bangkok and other places like in Nakhon Pathom province where I have traveled over the last week. While the 2100Mhz is fine "on most major highways" where there are plenty of cell towers as soon as you get off the main road and start driving away from it the 2100Mhz signal drops off pretty significantly....drops down to the -100 to -110dbm range...or even lower to -113dbm which means no signal. Switch to 850Mhz and you get a strong signal.

But I need to stress that has been what I have experienced so far around my home area and my travels. I haven't went to central, high rise Bangkok since switching to TriNet and maybe in locations like that the 2100Mhz signal is strong as 2100Mhz is focused towards high population areas....and 850/900Mhz towards lower population/rural areas since 850Mhz has greater range and building penetration ability in comparison to 2100Mhz transmitting at the same power level. I have no doubt some to many areas have strong DTAC 2100Mhz signals...unfortunately my home area just ain't one of them. Everybody's signal strength results will vary due to Location, Location, Location.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, we don't know either. We have tried the manual selections, after reading all of the suggestions in this forum. No matter what network we selected, we get no data connection. This is on Galaxy S2, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab 7, Galaxy Note phones. Since we can't get hold of DTAC's call center, we just trawled the web to find that hundreds of people on the Thai websites have the same problem, some have managed to get the call center but have not received any satisfactory assistance. Many have actually asked to be removed from TRINET but have been fobbed off. Since signing up for TRINET actually meant that the phone number has effectively been transferred to a new service provider and re-registered as such, I imagine that DTAC are not in a position to do that easily. I personally have 2 SIMS that have not been registered for TRINET and they work fine.

Having said that, I have always found, in BKK, the EDGE service to be more reliable than so-called 3G. We would be happy to get EDGE back !

Once you get the problem solved be sure to post the fix. Maybe your SIM is just not compatible. But supposedly when a person registers to switch to TriNet if their SIM is not compatible they will get a SMS telling them so. Below is a cut and paste from the DTAC website talking about such an SMS.

What are the possible reasons that the SIM is incompatible? How can I prepare or check for this?

Customers will be notified in the registration process when registering for TriNet. For incompatible SIMs, customers will receive a SMS notification that states the following message; “Registration complete. Your ID number is 1234567890123. Please contact dtac service center nationwide to replace your SIM for compatibility with TriNet”

Probably better you just visit you nearest DTAC Service Center...they would probably get you connected in minutes. Good luck...I know it must be frustrating.

I am assuming you applied to transfer to tri-Net, and have received the SMSes notifying you of your successful transfer? I assume you have a newer IMSI SIM?

This sounds like an APN configuration issue? Have you enabled data roaming?

Did you get the "second SMS", which is basically an OTA APN file, and enter the code "1800" (without the quotes), which essentially saves the APN config. to your phone?

Here is a working tri-NET APN config. on an SGS4:

Note the Authentication type (PAP), and the APN type (default,supl). Remember to "Save" the APN before exiting!.And to select it!

http://pantip.com/topic/30821843

post-9615-0-86303000-1377420684_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-44449600-1377420696_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-44334800-1377420708_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Somewhere in one or more of my above posts about 2100Mhz signal level, I mentioned that I figured I wouldn't even be able to pickup a 2100Mhz signal at my mother-in-laws house in Nakhon Pathom province due west of Bangkok....she lives back in a little village several kilometers from Highway #4 running through the area. At her home I usually only got an Edge connection or a very slow/weak 850Mhz 3G connection...down around 0.5Mb down speed when on 3G.

So, today when the wife and I went to visit and since I'm now on TriNet I was interested in the 2100Mhz in the MIL's area....I figured I wouldn't get any since the 850Mhz has always been weak. Well, I was wrong, the 850Mhz signal was still weak down around -103 to -110dbm but the 2100Mhz generally stayed around a -97 to -103dbm, with it usually hanging around -98 to -99...good enough for a 3 bars signal level. I was shocked. The phone switched to Edge/1800Mhz once or twice when I had selected the 850Mhz network and the Edge/1800Mhz signal level was strong at a -72dbm...4 bars...but the typical slow Edge speed

I did a speedtest while on 2100Mhz and got a 15.61Mb down/2.62Mb up. But on the weaker signal level 850Mhz I got around 6Mb down (I didn't run the full test after I saw the download speed peak a little over 6Mb). On the way back we stopped well within the city limits of Nakhon Pathom to eat lunch and their 2100Mhz signal strength was weak...in the -105 to -110 ballpark but the 850Mhz was very strong at -67 to -70 dbm (4 bars)...I didn't run any speed tests at this location.

With the 2100Mhz focused towards high population/city areas and the 850/900Mhz toward rural area I would have bet the signal strength I would get at the MIL's house 5-7kilometers outside of the Nakhon Pathom city limits and several kilometers from the main highway would have been reversed...that is, weak/no 2100Mhz signal and good 850Mhz...but I was wrong.

Just goes to show again it comes down to Location, Location, Location and sometimes the locations where you think the signal strength/speed will be low on 2100Mhz, we'll it ain't...you get a nice surprise.

I dont know about you guys but trinet has completely F'ed me. I went 1 full day with full bars but cant do anything at all... even make emergency calls. I went to dtac and they fixed my apn... the phone then worked at the dtac store, full bars. I get home and no service at all. Cant do anything. Funny because my girlfriend and I have the same phone and the same plan. She was never upgraded. I noticed last night that I am on DTAC and shes on dtac. I switched to dtac... full bars but says im roaming and I cant do anything even with roaming enabled.

Long story short. A few days ago im almost always on full signal strength. Now im almost always on 2 bars or less and 50% of the time no reception at all. Not even roaming.

Is there a way to get out of the contract? I know in the civilized world if you have no reception at home they let you out for free...

Dreaming of switching to AIS....

Sent from my GT-I9500

I am assuming you applied to transfer to tri-Net, and have received the SMSes notifying you of your successful transfer? I assume you have a newer IMSI SIM?

This sounds like an APN configuration issue? Have you enabled data roaming?

Did you get the "second SMS", which is basically an OTA APN file, and enter the code "1800" (without the quotes), which essentially saves the APN config. to your phone?

Here is a working tri-NET APN config. on an SGS4:

Note the Authentication type (PAP), and the APN type (default,supl). Remember to "Save" the APN before exiting!.And to select it!

http://pantip.com/topic/30821843

A person can go to this DTAC OTA (Over The Air) webpage and get the APN configuration message(s) resent. I tried it and the configuration message(s) are sent immediately. Now, it's not an SMS but a Configuration Notice that will appear in your notification area...just follow the instructions in the notice which will install the APN info. Below is one of the images/instructions from the web page as I was playing around.

post-55970-0-33618400-1377433540_thumb.j