Everybody's run away from something or someone

up2you2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The western ideas of courage, facing up, blah, blah are a complete crock of shit.

Basically stuff to encourage gullible men to do things that are not in their own best interests.

I am happy to admit I have no problems running away from anything.

Let some other mug get the bullet in the head is the best policy.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

You are right Neversure......but it's my birthday.....give a little slack...ok?

I'm going to set the tigers loose in a moment... Happy birthday, bytheway

Those bloody tigers will kill you......but thanks for the birfdee wisheeeeees..

Nice broad sweeping statement, I am sure there are some nutters here but many good guys too. As long as your not looking for friends in the bar scene then there are plenty normal guys around.

There are many psychopaths here, but there are also a lot of decent people.

They may be a little harder to find as they probably aren't frequenting the beer bars in Pattaya.

Many farang living here in Thailand are indeed running away from something. We can all agree on that.

But many are also here for positive reasons. Many retirees find it difficult living on a meagre pension in their own countries, so emigrating to Thailand makes economical sense due to the lower cost of living and lax immigration.

When I lived in the UK I cannot even recall how many reports I saw of old age pensioners dying of hyperthermia because they didn't have enough money to put the heater on.

Not much chance of that here.....

Ahh. so that's why so many of them collect the heating supplement whilst staying in Thailand. thumbsup.gif

A major "running-away" factor is probably:

For a good number of Farangs, the pension-benefits will not allow for a "good-life" in the old country. But will in Thailand.

Apparently you missed the hysteria around the pound falling against the baht a couple of months back and the slew of expats reporting that its cheaper to live back in their 'old' countries. Of course, very few of them appear to have put their shoe leather where their big mouths are ....

Apparently it's a lot harder to walk the walk than talk the talk - who knew ? wink.png

Do you live in Thailand? Is the pound your national currency? Why do you need to say that people have big mouths?

I complain about a lot of things, but in the end I do what I want to do and live where I want. And I'm not running away from anything, either.

No, I dont live in Thailand, and I've made it abundantly clear that my choice will be Malaysia, for many of the reasons your friends like to bang on about ad infinitum. The cost of living in Malaysia has risen steadily over the last 10 years, but if I cant stand the heat in future I will need to get out of the kitchen, not moan about it on a board. I stand by what I said, and I'd appreciate the board names of those who have actually moved back to their home country so that I can apologise to all three of them .....

• 2 weeks later...

I am proud of myself for not butting in for a long run of this thread.

Now, seeing it has finally fizzed out and after reading the lot - the verdict is:

WE ARE ALL RUNNING.

Some run AWAY. Others run TOWARDS. Few might be running WITH.

It does not matter, really.

For as long as we keep running. Or as they say - voting with our feet.

I think we are the best of the best of our respective Countries.

The survivors. The adventurers. The fearless. The active.

Of-course there will be people who would rather use different choice of words.

Like scum, rejects, cowards, failures etc. Let them.

Nothing and nobody can insult us if we have our own self-respect.

Now OP can go back to his question and chose the words again. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I've waited my whole life for this thread and the OP's profound theory - it explains everything! I can now die happy. What a relief!

There are three men in a boat with a pack of cigarettes and no matches.

How did they manage to smoke?

One jumped off on to the quay-side and popped into the nearest newsagent's?

is that anybody who decides to emigrate to the other side of the world

how many farangs have actually legally emigrated to Thailand...me thinks not many, if any

yes of course some may have done a runner because of one thing or another, others may have just fed up were they were living, others have come for work....but certainly could understand someone living on mud island all their lives wanting to get away from there once they have retired and have a few pennies in the piggy bank

For those that you consider are living on mud Island (as you call it) that want to get out,there are many many more that are shifting heaven and hell to get in,some even risk their lives to do so. Consequently there are more Immigrants than Emigrants!

I have no doubt Thailand has more than it's fair share of dubious characters,escaping from many things,together with the Retirees who are seeking their well earned place in the Sun. Without the Sun and the Girls, Thailand would be another Mud Island,and compared with the West,a lawless one at that!

Perhaps that is what attracts many of those of less than squeeky clean character,who don't need to be constantly looking over their shoulders.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Nice broad sweeping statement, I am sure there are some nutters here but many good guys too. As long as your not looking for friends in the bar scene then there are plenty normal guys around.

I will try and remember that Robblok, anyone I meet in the Bar Scene is not going to be a friend,"Nice broad sweeping statement"

Up2you2 said.... "

It has been said over and over, but you really want to tread carefully around other Farang in Thailand. Many many nutters about.

Most foreigners here are the lowest of the low, from the unloved to the violently psychopathic."

That statement has a LOT of flaws. Certainly there are lots of odd people in Thailand, but to say most foreigners are violent psychopaths is too far fetched to accept. Why do people make such outrageous statements?

• Like 2

Up2you2 said.... "

It has been said over and over, but you really want to tread carefully around other Farang in Thailand. Many many nutters about.

Most foreigners here are the lowest of the low, from the unloved to the violently psychopathic."

That statement has a LOT of flaws. Certainly there are lots of odd people in Thailand, but to say most foreigners are violent psychopaths is too far fetched to accept. Why do people make such outrageous statements?

That is how he/she sees the world or to wind people up to get a reaction from.......you, in this case.

Up2you2 said.... "

He was referring only to you, Rene. ALL women are violent psychopaths. Didn't you know?

(Just joking of course.) :)

So I pondered why I am here and it's time to 'fess up. Yes, I ran away.

I was dating Pamela Robertson who was convinced we were going to get married, buy a huge house on Balmoor Terrace, have at least a couple of sprogs that would go to private school. I would drive a Mercedes Benz (she would still have her Mini) whilst she would carry on teaching and I would somehow manage to eke out enough from my Mon-Fri 'TV mannie' earnings to pay the huge mortgage and still allow her to add to her collection of Lladró porcelain figurines and have summer holidays in the Costa Fortune and skiing holidays in Courchevel. My bank manager advised me that the only way to reduce huge UK single earner taxes was to either get a mortgage or become an expat and avoid them altogether. So, I quit Radio Rentals and entered the oil patch in the enchanted kingdom.... Saudi Arabia.

On my first visit home, flush with a whopping £330/month + perdiem, I rented a Ford Cortina instead of borrowing my mates beat up old Austin Allegro (the blue one with the noisy cv joints) and went to pick her up from school as a surprise. She ended up refusing to get in and very noisily and very publicly berating me in the school car park for throwing away 'our' money on the car rental and thus suggesting that my pleasures would always take second place to her 5-bedroom palatial dreams and the infernal bloody Lladró <deleted>.

Suitably chastised (in her eyes), I went back to Saudi and was dragging my feet on the whole affair when she wrote me a Dear John letter which I received just before flying out from Saudi Arabia to see her again for a couple of weeks. I couldn't change the ticket so I went home... and shagged her sister.

THEN I ran away.

Beautiful

Previously I had a weekend house in Pattaya.

I would support "most" most does not mean all, it just means over 50%. Which might be true.

A bit harsh, some guys have done their shift and retired to the Sun, nothing wrong with that.

I'm here to provide a public service for the trolls, everybody needs a hate figure. smile.png

Mayhap you value yourself too highly.

It's time you got a new hobby, coffee1.gif

Ive been here for a year almost and have yet to meet any other foreigners besides passing them in the street/shops/restaurants.

Id like to think the ones ive seen werent running from anything. Most seemed happy as larry!

Then again I just keep my head down, mind my own business and enjoy thailand for what it is.

I didn't read through the posts, but did the OP every honestly say what he's running away from (besides the joke about running away from his mother)? Further, did he go on to say why he's unloved and violently psychopathic? I believe what we're really seeing is a cry for help from the OP. It comforts him to believe that he's not the only severely screwed up soul here.

Of course, when people make such dramatically asinine statements that include such large numbers of people, they lose all credibility, and the OP has accomplished that very well. Probably just an immature troll from a troubled mind that needs attention.

I would never dignify the OP by saying why I choose to relocate to Thailand. If it comforts him to believe that most foreigners here are the lowest of the low, let him continue on that way. Any other perspective may cause him to to erupt in a violent episode.

Just when you think you've seen the stupidest post ever on TVF, somebody like the OP comes along to give us faith that this place can offer endless possibilities.

Most of the weirdos that have either relationship issues in Thailand or brought their relationship issue with them, probably had issues with their mums. Even the ones that joke about it.

Yes, there are nutters here, there and everywhere AND on this forum. What is the OP's point? My Auntie Mary got married to a kiwi and left Scotland for New Zealand over 50 years ago and only came back to visit once. I have visited her twice in New Zealand and she doesn't seem to have any issues apart from now being widowed and a bit dottled.

Phew, for a moment I thought I could have been excluded.

attachicon.gifimages224.jpg

What's the point.

Yes every posting that's put up has to have a point, some could be just thought provoking however, I presume that's okay with you.

But as you want one, is their something that all expats have in common, a common denominator that runs through every one of us.

Uprooting ourselves from our families, friends, cultures you name it, is not the rule, in fact what I am saying is on reflection I think we are the exceptions to the rule.

Now before you all jump on that, I'm not saying this action is good or bad, everybody to their own.

I'm not criticising, doubting or voicing a concern about our actions, but wondering if there is a common explanation to them.

I think we all are looking for a better life than what we had before and have now. That is human nature.

But few are willing to put the action to their wants. Some of us have found it here in Thailand and there are some who will move on.

Also yes there are definatly people running from their past and people running to the easy sex. But I believe both of those classes do not form that large a section of the expats here in Thailand.

Up2you2 said.... "

Up2you2 said..."

Sorry, I was in fact quoting two outrageous statements that others had posted, and I was using them as an example.

I didn't read through the posts, but did the OP every honestly say what he's running away from (besides the joke about running away from his mother)? Further, did he go on to say why he's unloved and violently psychopathic? I believe what we're really seeing is a cry for help from the OP. It comforts him to believe that he's not the only severely screwed up soul here.

Of course, when people make such dramatically asinine statements that include such large numbers of people, they lose all credibility, and the OP has accomplished that very well. Probably just an immature troll from a troubled mind that needs attention.

I would never dignify the OP by saying why I choose to relocate to Thailand. If it comforts him to believe that most foreigners here are the lowest of the low, let him continue on that way. Any other perspective may cause him to to erupt in a violent episode.

Just when you think you've seen the stupidest post ever on TVF, somebody like the OP comes along to give us faith that this place can offer endless possibilities.

The original post starts off - Two recent posts I've just read:

I did not make those statements, rather I was quoting others who had on a Thai Visa forum.

It is not necessary for you to apologise, but I think we are both agree that they were somewhat debatable.

Everybody's got their own rhymes and reasons for relocating, all I would say is that if everything was perfect back home, just how many of us would have decided to leave.

Could be just as simple as some have replied, just leaving (running away) from the weather.

• Like 1

Up2you2 said.... "

Up2you2 said..."

Sorry, I was in fact quoting two outrageous statements that others had posted, and I was using them as an example.

The original post starts off - Two recent posts I've just read:

I did not make those statements, rather I was quoting others who had on a Thai Visa forum.

It is not necessary for you to apologise, but I think we are both agree that they were somewhat debatable.

Everybody's got their own rhymes and reasons for relocating, all I would say is that if everything was perfect back home, just how many of us would have decided to leave.

Could be just as simple as some have replied, just leaving (running away) from the weather.

I am never above apologising when wrong, but an apology isn't appropriate here.

You use other people's quotes to reinforce your own belief that: "My theory is for what it's worth, is that anybody who decides to emigrate to the other side of the world, has run away from something or somebody." Those are your own words, so I'll ask again: What are you honestly running away from?

So what if you're quoting -- those quotes are repeated by you and obviously echo your feelings. Why else would you bother to include them in your post? A simple question posed to the forum asking if people are running away from something would have been sufficient and the quotes completely unnecessary (unless you feel they're valid).