The Brasserie - the best Live music in Chieng Mai.

Chiengmaijoe

I know most of you guys are tucked up by 9pm with a warm cup of cocoa but...... for those few that aren't you'll pleased to know that Took is back at his best playing again at The Brasserie. Because of problems with the neighbours he is having to play acoustic, but that is fine with me because if tonight's set is anything to go by then you"re in for a treat. I saw him a few months ago when he wasn't yet ready to play again, but tonight it was clear that he is back and thoroughly enjoying it. It wasn't very busy , which has always been the case, but if ever a place needs supporting this is it. I think the first time I saw him was 20 odd years ago at The Old West, and it's great to see him happy and enjoying his music again. A Chieng Mai living legend.

What time is he playing these days . I have always wanted to see him but, never seemed to show up the times I went. Also, boys blue bar in the night bizzarr very good.

I sometimes go to the Monday night 'jam' session at Boy Blus Bar.

Went last night and it was simply tremendous.

Not normally a fan of blues music too.

What time is he playing these days . I have always wanted to see him but, never seemed to show up the times I went. Also, boys blue bar in the night bizzarr very good.

I sometimes go to the Monday night 'jam' session at Boy Blus Bar.

Went last night and it was simply tremendous.

Not normally a fan of blues music too.

Boy, and his uncle Took are the only musicians in Chieng Mai that I think play with real feeling and can move me. Boy does it occasionally but Took does it all the time. Took says that music starts at 9pm. Took is a great musician but not a great businessman, so the more the word gets out the better it is for it's long-term success. It's good to see Boy's doing so well now. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

For a long time Took was the main attraction but the old Brasserie's biggest liability. I'm glad to hear he is back playing at his best.

I second the vote for Boy's Bar - consistently good music with a fine guitarist and all-round nice guy (Boy, the bar owner), heading up the band.

pj

Anybody care to provide directions to Boys Blues Bar?

It's in the Galare centre at the back near the big stage. It's on the second floor so you need to look up or just follow your ears. In case you don't know, the Galare centre is in the night bazaar on Changklan rd. From mc Donald's it is 2 blocks up on the right if you're heading towards Thapae rd, against the flow of traffic.

Walk into the Kalare Night Bazaar from the other side of Chang Klan Road from Le Meridien Hotel. Take an entrance underneath the giant upstairs Babylon (or is it Babylonian?) Restaurant, and simply walk into the bazaar, listen for loud blues music and look upwards. It's the only open-air podium level above the bazaar.

• 2 months later...

I was in the Brasserie last night and was again impressed by Took's talent and more importantly, passion. He always plays with heart and soul. Of late, I think Boy at Boy's blues bar is lacking that. He is technically very gifted and a great guy, but too often lately he is clowning about, show-boating and playing to the crowd too much. I know most tourists enjoy it, but a few locals think that the standard of his playing has suffered. He doesn't play with as much passion as he did, so as far as I'm concerned Took is still the main man in Chieng Mai. I first saw Took about 22 years ago at The Old West, which was were Computer Plaza now is on the moat. He stood out then, and he still does. Do others feel the same? And while we're on the subject, is there anyone that moves you, musically speaking. I know there are some good musicians out there, but do any of them play with heart and soul as consistently as Took does?

As much as I love Boy and Took and their bands, but isn't it a little unfair to say that "took and boy are the only musicians in Chieng Mai that I think play with real feeling"?

Chiang Mai has a very alive and active music scene with many very talented musicians, both Thai and farang. Just visit Northgate on a tuesday night.

Looking forward to see you there for a beer or two (have to wait for november though)

How does it compare to the main band at the Inter Bar which comes on at 9pm, don't know their name. The lead guitar there is fab. Although this is old rock music AC/DC and all that jazz

I don't know, I'll check it out. I assumed they were just covering old songs as opposed to playing them with any originality.

As much as I love Boy and Took and their bands, but isn't it a little unfair to say that "took and boy are the only musicians in Chieng Mai that I think play with real feeling"?

Chiang Mai has a very alive and active music scene with many very talented musicians, both Thai and farang. Just visit Northgate on a tuesday night.

Looking forward to see you there for a beer or two (have to wait for november though)

What's unfair? I'm saying that they move me, which is entirely subjective, and I was asking for your views as to who moves you.

The last time I went to the Northgate I got a bit pissed off with songs going on for twenty to thirty minutes with no apparent direction. I know it's jazz, but someone has to be directing where the songs are going. Strangely, I mentioned The Northgate to a guy and he used the very word I had used to describe it ..... wanking .... they were all having a wank on stage and seemed to forget that we were out there. Maybe it was the jam night, but it got a bit boring after a while, and maybe I should revisit on a regular night. Just to clarify, that's just my opinion and it was based on one particular night.

Give me a nod when you're back in town.

Aussie john comes to mind....

A great entertainer and one of Chieng Mai's true characters, but I think he wouldn't put himself up there with Boy and Took, and nor would most people, Tie Me Kangaroo Down , or not.

Well of course not. I responding to post 17 about chiang Mai entertainers. I have seen Took and IMO he is top shelf talent.

• 7 months later...

What time does the brassiere music kick off and again can you post exactly where it is....Also is the live music on every night

I never get there early, but at a guess, I would say 9 or 10pm, every night.

It is on the outside of the moat on the Chaiyaphum rd section, near Somphet market. It's north of Spicey, just after the u-turn. It's almost directly opposite The House restaurant on Moon Muang rd.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

• 7 months later...

I'm just for a few days here and as usual, I always try to make some good Videos with my Camcorder with an external Microphone...

Here my newest ones from Took at the Brasserie:

In my Channel you will also find lots older Videos from Took because he is a good friend of mine since lots of years.

An in my opinion, he is one of the best musicans I ever met.

Here some Videos withTook at the Chiang Mai Jazz Festival last week:

I will upload soon more Videos from him as soon as I have time to edit all the recordings :-)

Hope you enjoy them same as I do :-)

Best regards from Chiang Mai

Stefan

Edited by Moesi66

I my opinion I think for Rock you have to check out Pentatonic, at the Zoo in Yellow complex, the guys are good performers and play with dedication,

the bar might not be the best and try to avoid the restroom, but I think they really Rock! (houseband starts around 11pm)

• 3 months later...

I go to Boys Blues occasionally for the Monday night Jam, but last week I went on a wednesday to see Boy and his band play. What a huge disappointment. A few people have commented on how he does a lot of show-boating and messing about but I was surprised to see him do that in every single song he played.

He is a great musician and not too far behind his uncle Took when he plays seriously but I can't remember the last time he did that. When I first saw him in the old days at Guitar Man I was really impressed and told him on several occasions how well he played. Maybe it is due to the fact that he is doing so well in his own place and he has a constant stream of new tourists to impress but most serious music fans I asked said they no longer go there to listen to Boy, as he doesn't play seriously any more. I could accept an odd song where he played to the crowd, but I really miss the days when he played with heart and soul.

He's a great guy and I'm glad to see him doing so well, but I'd love to see him playing as he used to. A musician I know, who also likes Boy and appreciates his talent, said that musically he has regressed, for much the same reason as I stated.