Moving to East Thailand in a few months. Accommodation ideas?

murrayoverseas

Thai wife & I are moving to East Thailand in a few months. We own a house out in the sticks (Chonburi province) but want to rent in town somewhere.

Thinking of Si Ra Cha or Bang Sen. Somewhere with good facilities & an expat community but not a tourist town ie not Pattaya/JomTein. Thinking to pay around 10,00B a month. What would that get me, and where? Any ideas? I'm a Kiwi, active mid 60's. All useful contributions welcome

I think you'll do better with this over in the Pattaya forum. Many members who read that sub-forum don't actually live "in" Pattaya, but nearby. The 2 areas you talk about are among those.

So let's try this over there and see how it goes! Also, could you tell us a bit more of what you are looking for?

P.S. My friends who live in these 2 areas come to Pattaya for shopping and entertainment (and I'm not talking walking street!). Something to consider.

Topic Moved.

I agree that the places you mentioned are good for what you want but also: NaJomtien, Bang saray, Hua yai and even around Lake Mapratchan gets you far away from the city but still close enough for shopping etc.

Most all of the areas mentioned South of Pattaya are becoming very popular with expats these days. I would suggest renting a condo or something centrally located and driving around for a few months checking out the different areas and look at house rentals etc. then make a decision here you would want to plant a Guava tree type thing and move there.

Very difficult for us to say but you will get some great suggestions here I hope.

Once again the Pattaya/Jomtien misnomer covers a multitude if sins where in reality, the dark side 'swath' from Nongplalai, through to Huayyai offers quiet expat living, devoid of whatever offends thee and still within driving distance from essential supplies and regular (non-adult) entertainment. The highway network makes getting around pretty easy (outside the known bottlenecks). The Department of Rural Roads seem to be upgrading more of the 'country lanes' as well.

Rentals vary from around 15k for townhouses and 2-bedroom villas to over 70k for someone's idea of a palace. I would ballpark an 'average' for a decent place at 28k and for very comfortable around 40k.

I think Sri Racha still has a well established Japanese community; good luck with social integration there. Rentals would be up to 10% lower than above, tops. Not too sure what the Bang Saen demographic is these days but I am sure someone here can advise.

If Pattaya/Jomtien carries too much of a social stigma, there's always Ban Chang further south where I have heard good things with rental prices maybe about 20% lower than Pattaya area. Maybe a chance of getting something decent on the OP's 10k budget but IMHO, that would be quite limiting even in Isaan and the provinces. Some newer developments come with good recommendations and there's a fair few expats have relocated down that way. There's some good international schools in the area and shopping in Rayong town is a lot more comprehensive than it used to be.

Edited by NanLaew

I've got quite a few friends in BC. They say it's a bit too quiet for them and if they didn't work there, would move to somewhere like Bang Saray. A bit closer to shopping and entertainment. Again, not walking street entertainment.

We go to BC quite a bit. I love the restaurants on the beach.

Thanks for that. We already own a house near Phanat NIkhom where we have family. The other reasons for staying well north of Pattaya is we have family, and property and it is a longer haul to family to take someone in the family to a Dr's appointment, be social with established friends & family. But, as someone said about Chacheongsao, "it's hot, flat and boring" out on the family farm area, and anywhere down there traffic is diabolical. On the net, no-one tries to rent stuff for under 50k a month so there are no pictures to look at at the 8k-15k per month. We are not trying to impress anyone and don't need a mansion, just a nice 3 room townhouse in a moo-bahn in a secure part of a reasonable town. We would stay "on the ranch" till our container arrived and then move when we found somewhere nice. Just looking for ideas about value for money in our price range, closer to Phanat Nikhom. Wife is coming up on 11 Aug & will be looking around. Have our own car there, already.

Thanks for that. We already own a house near Phanat NIkhom where we have family. The other reasons for staying well north of Pattaya is we have family, and property and it is a longer haul to family to take someone in the family to a Dr's appointment, be social with established friends & family. But, as someone said about Chacheongsao, "it's hot, flat and boring" out on the family farm area, and anywhere down there traffic is diabolical. On the net, no-one tries to rent stuff for under 50k a month so there are no pictures to look at at the 8k-15k per month. We are not trying to impress anyone and don't need a mansion, just a nice 3 room townhouse in a moo-bahn in a secure part of a reasonable town. We would stay "on the ranch" till our container arrived and then move when we found somewhere nice. Just looking for ideas about value for money in our price range, closer to Phanat Nikhom. Wife is coming up on 11 Aug & will be looking around. Have our own car there, already.

If you look at: http://www.bahtsold.com You will find many different areas and prices. You can choose your area, then choose the price range and normally they have about 6 pictures of the place and all the info. For a 3-room place do you mean 2 bedrooms and a living area? Anyways 10k might be a little on the low price for 2 bed and living room/kitchen but you can always look at the site. I have used it for years and has every type of advertisement. Also the Classifieds here on TV but like you said, most of them are hi-so prices.

Good luck and let us know if that site works for you?

• Like 1

I see the reason you mentioned Sri Racha and Bang Saen; anywhere remotely near the 'dark side' is a major trip from Phanat Nikhom.

Maybe Ang Sila? Not sure what's around there but since it's will be mostly a local rental market, online searches would be a waste of time. I reckon you can plan on doing it the Thai way and drive around looking for rent signs and phone numbers on gates. Good that you already have wheels and a bit of time. Also good to be searching during the rains so you can eliminate the flood-prone options.

Good luck!

Rentals vary from around 15k for townhouses and 2-bedroom villas to over 70k for someone's idea of a palace. I would ballpark an 'average' for a decent place at 28k and for very comfortable around 40k.

I would say that those prices are much higher than one needs to pay here. Unless one enjoys paying over the odds, of course.

Been on bahtsold.com several times. Almost everything advertised is Pattaya or south. As if no one else has anything for rent...... I think it is going to be drive, ask, look, & write phone numbers down. Thanks for the help. See you all in a few months, from somewhere.

I see the reason you mentioned Sri Racha and Bang Saen; anywhere remotely near the 'dark side' is a major trip from Phanat Nikhom.

Maybe Ang Sila? Not sure what's around there but since it's will be mostly a local rental market, online searches would be a waste of time. I reckon you can plan on doing it the Thai way and drive around looking for rent signs and phone numbers on gates. Good that you already have wheels and a bit of time. Also good to be searching during the rains so you can eliminate the flood-prone options.

Good luck!

Ang Sila looks good. I Guess you can all see why i originally posted this on Eastern, rather than Pattaya. I want eastern Seaboard towards Chonburi, not Pattaya. Wife will do the hard yards next month. I will hold the fort in NZ while she "teow's"

Edited by murrayoverseas