Thai State Railways train derails in North, foreign tourists injured

webfact

That's some derailment - those carriages are some way from the track and have not just left the track, as I was expecting from the headline. It must have been going way too fast for the track for carriages to have flipped off like that. Good that nobody died - very lucky.

My thought was that it was traveling too slow.

• Like 1

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a country can't even repair something as basic as a crumbling sidewalk with blocks, or keep electricla wires from falling down to street level, how can one expect the government to maintain something such as the railroad system. Sometimes I wish the Kingdome of Siam was "colonized" back in the 1800's so it would have picked up some knowledge in handling infrastructure.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

Latest news is, the locals keep stealing the bolds that hold down the rails on the sleepers. This is the seventh derailment in 4 months.

When a rails is detached from the sleeper it will slide outwards in a curve, this is perhaps why the train topped over on the inside of the curve.

nah not locals. they dont/wouldnt have any motivation. so look again who with power and influence and proposed gain would have big motivation.

Edited by requiredinfo

Latest news is, the locals keep stealing the bolds that hold down the rails on the sleepers. This is the seventh derailment in 4 months.

When a rails is detached from the sleeper it will slide outwards in a curve, this is perhaps why the train topped over on the inside of the curve.

nah not locals. they dont/wouldnt have any motivation. so look again who with power and influence and proposed gain would have big motivation.

The powerful want to steal metal bolts from railway lines. Times must be tough at the top.

The powerful want to steal metal bolts from railway lines. Times must be tough at the top.

every morning the sun rises. you, no doubt, would have to ask you grandmother what happens next.

Personally I find all those repeating negative, synical and off topic cliché reactions a very annoying thing on Thaivisa. Why do this frustrated old men want to live here anyway, just for their cheap beer ?

It‘s pathetic to post the same tone of responses in every random topic, this is Thailand and you know it.

Posting your opinion is not obligatory, if you'd think so.

Send from my Asus FONEPAD

My sentiments exactly. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Sure Thailand has its problems. But every single ****ing news article is filled with the same borderline racist crap. Methinks they're just so sad at their own lives that they must debase others as well.

• Like 1

Havent blogged for a long time now , but things, as all forum members know, have got beyond rediculous now, the money this country is making from tourism and they cannot, or will not ,upgrade the ancient small grade tract railway system is how two faced they really are. The mismagement from the government is bordering on madness, they have no excuse.

What were the 20 odd Diplomats doing in Phuket last month and every one of them brought up safety for tourists !

Some two years ago China offered to bank roll a high speed train through Loas to Bangkok, but the Thais in their supreme wisdow turned them down, saying that they could take care of it, what needs to happen in this country to make them wake up. Any thais on this forum listen, you are embarassed to comment on these issues as you know you are in the wrong. I will be surprised if you will be allowed to join the ASEAN community 2015, untill you grow up !

Would you like to wager on that?

• Like 1

Not at all surprising, unfortunately. The rail system is in shocking condition and desperately needs upgrading, never mind the high speed project.

It is like everything else in the realm "wait for a major accident, flood, catastrophe and then AND, only then think about doing something about it'

Little wonder when they have the collective IQ of a 'garden gnome'

I'd like to point out that there are Thais who are more successful in 1 day of their life than your entire miserable existence. Certainly if they have the IQ of a garden gnome, yours must be comparatively so miniscule that we haven't developed a name for it yet.

• Like 1

ACCIDENT

Train derails in Phrae

The Nation

30210630-01_big.jpg

Passengers fled the scene.

The northern train heading to Chiang Mai derailed at 3am today in Phrae, causing injuries to some 30 passengers.

BANGKOK: -- All train carriages fell off from the track, as the train derailed near Denchai district. Over 290 passengers were on board.

Prapas Chongsanguan, governor of the State Railway of Thailand, initially attributed the accident to the poor condition of the track. Maintenance has been planned for the sloping and curvy point where the accident happened.

Buses and vans were mobilised from Denchai, to transport affected passengers, local and foreign, to Chiang Mai. Three foreigners suffered from broken arms and 24 from minor injuries, and they were sent to the district’s hospital.

Chalermwoot Rakkhatiwong, Denchai district chief, said that all passengers have been transferred out of the scene.

The train left Bangkok at 7pm on July 16.

Train schedules are changed after the accident. Speed trains from Chiang Mai to Bangkok scheduled for today will be cancelled. Normal train from Chiang Mai will be operated as usual, but passengers in Chiang Mai, Lamphun and Lampang will have to take buses to board the train at the Uttaradit station. Affected passengers can return tickets and receive full compensation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-07-17

The emergency response looks to be on the underwhelming side based on the photo which may be misleading.

The lack of development of the national rail system for decades has a lot to do with politicians owning or having close links with the road haulage business and inter-city bus companies.

• Like 1

Personally I find all those repeating negative, synical and off topic cliché reactions a very annoying thing on Thaivisa. Why do this frustrated old men want to live here anyway, just for their cheap beer ?

It‘s pathetic to post the same tone of responses in every random topic, this is Thailand and you know it.

Absolutely agree.

Each time there is an incident of some sorts in Thailand, is seen as a chance by the morons to have a bash at Thailand.

After a while it does become apparent that Thailand has many enemies and I am wondering if the majority of idiots posting their criticisms of everything Thai in these threads, actually live in Thailand at all? Somehow I doubt it. And if they do stay in Thailand, why are they here?

As regarding railway accidents, I suggest that those complaining about the Thai transport systems the most, should check out the British and French transport accident statistics as a comparison. They will find they`re appalling.

Will those who continue to complain about Thailand, please say if they live in Thailand and why they are here? Either put up or shut up, because most of what they are spouting off is a load of groundless BS.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Havent blogged for a long time now , but things, as all forum members know, have got beyond rediculous now, the money this country is making from tourism and they cannot, or will not ,upgrade the ancient small grade tract railway system is how two faced they really are. The mismagement from the government is bordering on madness, they have no excuse.

What were the 20 odd Diplomats doing in Phuket last month and every one of them brought up safety for tourists !

Some two years ago China offered to bank roll a high speed train through Loas to Bangkok, but the Thais in their supreme wisdow turned them down, saying that they could take care of it, what needs to happen in this country to make them wake up. Any thais on this forum listen, you are embarassed to comment on these issues as you know you are in the wrong. I will be surprised if you will be allowed to join the ASEAN community 2015, untill you grow up !

Would you like to wager on that?

I am pretty sure that eventually, the Thais will need to agree to the Chinese coming in and building the HST rail for them. Without the Chinese it will never happen. Me thinks it will also be funny when the Kunming-Vientiane section is completed and the Thais still think that Laos is behind them, then they will start ooing and aahing about how poor Laos has a piece of 21st century technology that they don't. Of course, if politics and corruption continue to get in the way, the Chinese will simply extend the line from Vientiane down through to Sihanoukville in Cambodia. It's probably not what they wanted originally, but it will do. A Malaysian firm is also about to start construction of a HST line from Savannakhet to Lao Bao, Vietnam, although the missing link from the Lao Bao border to the Vietnamese coast has not been discussed. It's even more interesting to hear that I have only recently heard a proposal to link neighboring Mukdahan with the existing line at Khon Kaen, which would then allow the new Savannakhet link to transport goods from Thailand to Vietnamese ports and/or Vietnamese/Lao goods via rail to Bangkok etc. however, the Khon Kaen-Mukdahan link is said to be a normal speed railway, not high speed and will likely take much longer to build than the HST link down to Vientiane and beyond.

Absolutely agree.

Each time there is an incident of some sorts in Thailand, is seen as a chance by the morons to have a bash at Thailand.

After a while it does become apparent that Thailand has many enemies and I am wondering if the majority of idiots posting their criticisms of everything Thai in these threads, actually live in Thailand at all? Somehow I doubt it. And if they do stay in Thailand, why are they here?

As regarding railway accidents, I suggest that those complaining about the Thai transport systems the most, should check out the British and French transport accident statistics as a comparison. They will find they`re appalling.

Will those who continue to complain about Thailand, please say if they live in Thailand and why they are here? Either put up or shut up, because most of what they are spouting off is a load of groundless BS.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mor_occ_of_rai_tra_or_rai_veh_inj_in_tra_acc-train-vehicle-injured-transport-accident

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Depends on which website you look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_accidents_%282010%E2%80%9319%29#2013

Absolutely agree.

As regarding railway accidents, I suggest that those complaining about the Thai transport systems the most, should check out the British and French transport accident statistics as a comparison.  They will find they`re appalling.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mor_occ_of_rai_tra_or_rai_veh_inj_in_tra_acc-train-vehicle-injured-transport-accident

Depends on which website you look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_accidents_%282010%E2%80%9319%29#2013

From the wiki list it appears there was one fatality on the UK railways last year as confirmed by the other website which gives a death toll for Thailand of well over 300 and that is for a network about one quarter that of the UK.

In the last 6 months they pulled all the rails and ties from Korat to Nong Khai. Graded it all, put in new rock, put new cement ties and longer rails. Put in many more bypass rails. I was impressed with the job they are doing, very professional (its a Thai Italian company I believe) I like going by train and find it a lot saver than being on the road. Most are on time unless you ride the free 3rd class.

• Like 1

my first thailand railway experience; bangkok to khonkaen had also a accident that one wagon sprung out of the rail, fortunately nobody got injured.

for this derailed train in north they can be more then lucky.sad.png

In the last 6 months they pulled all the rails and ties from Korat to Nong Khai. Graded it all, put in new rock, put new cement ties and longer rails. Put in many more bypass rails. I was impressed with the job they are doing, very professional (its a Thai Italian company I believe) I like going by train and find it a lot saver than being on the road. Most are on time unless you ride the free 3rd class.

i do like travel by train , did for 3 years my malaisian visaruns by train and it is lovely , some times on the way back took the 3rd class mnot to save money but in alot of ways it is better (bring a cushion) nice slow pace so plenty of nice vieuws , all the windows open and can smoke in your seat if you want , no shortage on food and drinks they come past every few minutes ,the nicest way to travel real SABAI SABAI style

I have to disagree with your last sentence.

For the past 17 years I've taken the Bangkok-Udon train monthly on average and I have to say it's never arrived on time. Usually it's at least an hour late, often 2 or 3 hours.

Conversely coming back, it's more punctual,as it's downhill all the way.

Still, I love the train as you get a good night's sleep, there's a buffet car and the views are good.

I only felt in danger once, on a 'sprinter', we were flying along and the carriage was really rocking from side to side, it really felt like it was going to jump the tracks.

Because the combination 'old man from a civilized country' and 'living in Thailand' makes grumpy. A bored live, an uninteresting wife and semi-alcohol addict, the long stay tourists. The young generation expats does way better and they leave on time before all the minor inconveniences gets under their skin.

True as most (not all) younger generations are much more mature/emancipated and less spoiled. No offense to these 50+ fellas but most (not all) are mummy's boys. They need someone who washes their clothes, fixes them a meal, gives them plenty of attention, and as said before, most are very dominant on top of that. They wanna speak but they can't listen. And when they speak, they mostly speak about themselves OR they speak about the incompetence of others.

This is probably the most stupid post that I have ever read here. Not only that it is well off topic.

• Like 1

Because the combination 'old man from a civilized country' and 'living in Thailand' makes grumpy. A bored live, an uninteresting wife and semi-alcohol addict, the long stay tourists. The young generation expats does way better and they leave on time before all the minor inconveniences gets under their skin.

True as most (not all) younger generations are much more mature/emancipated and less spoiled. No offense to these 50+ fellas but most (not all) are mummy's boys. They need someone who washes their clothes, fixes them a meal, gives them plenty of attention, and as said before, most are very dominant on top of that. They wanna speak but they can't listen. And when they speak, they mostly speak about themselves OR they speak about the incompetence of others.

This is probably the most stupid post that I have ever read here. Not only that it is well off topic.

lets start a new topic to discuss the sourness ,not on this one

• Like 1

When a country can't even repair something as basic as a crumbling sidewalk with blocks, or keep electricla wires from falling down to street level, how can one expect the government to maintain something such as the railroad system. Sometimes I wish the Kingdome of Siam was "colonized" back in the 1800's so it would have picked up some knowledge in handling infrastructure.

At the turn of the 19th century France was eager to "enter" Siam and make it a protectorate. It did not happen and Siam was not colonized.

The first railways were however built with the help of German advisors.

Even if the country had been colonized by France, it might not have changed anything concerning the railways... Did you read that the recent train accident in Paris was caused by a track maintenance problem?

Just to reassure you that maintenance is not only a problem with the Thai government. Former colonial powers apparently have the same concerns :)

I am also not sure about railways in Congo. But that country was colonized for a long time and I don't think that infrastructure is so much better there than in Thailand. The example is a bit extreme, you might say... :)

But we could speak about the British rail system... Uhm, no. Better not.

The spectacular Spanish high speed train accident of today was even worse. 78 people dead. Human error apparently... in a former colonial power.

Well well... Those colonialists can't even drive a train you will tell us...

Thailand does not look that bad to me.

Can happen everywhere.

Be welcome to criticize the whole planet :)

Sent from my iPhone...

Don't let a minor detail, like a train falling of the rails, spoil the party over the predicted touristrevenue of 2 trillion+ next year! rolleyes.gif

But the dirty beaches, the scams, the killings ?? Mai phen rai ! We are Thai ! The best in the world!

You seem to have a lisp, it's 'bpen rai'. If you say 'mai' with an off tone you may end up saying 'new partner lai' hehe.

5.jpg

and just another one bites the dust http://news.sanook.com/1199501/

arun to bkk

Is this week 'train derailments week' two in Thailand and one major one in Spain. That picture looks like some kind of crazy person idea of a garden feature or focal point though. It could even be classed as a form of modern art, look how it depicts the barrier between nature and urbanization.

Not at all surprising, unfortunately. The rail system is in shocking condition and desperately needs upgrading, never mind the high speed project.

"never mind the high speed project" that won't (or certainly shouldn't) happen before the next millennium.

Let them demonstrate that they can run a very slow speed rail system first.