Gutter Mesh in Thailand ?

Ayuthaya

I put up some rain gutters around my house in Ayutthaya and now I have issues with bird nests.

Does any one know of a supplier / installer of some sort of gutter mesh / gutter guard or leaf mesh in Thailand who they can recommend ?

Many thanks

Neil

I have the same problem and a reasonable fix for me is to cut some small hole chicken mesh to fit in the gutter.

Never seen anything specifically designed to keep birds out.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Around here it is very popular to buy some of that flexible pvc pipe that's used for French drains. It is perforated. It is simply cut to length and pressed into the gutter. The water still runs into it and out the ends at the down spouts, not affecting the use of the gutter. But nothing, not even leaves can get into it.

Here's a commercial one but it isn't necessary and it costs more.

Link

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the replies !

The idea about the rain tube is something I haven't heard of before and will solve my problem..........any assistance with a "local" i.e BKK or Ayutthaya source for this tubing would be helpful !

Thanks again

Neil

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for the replies !

The idea about the rain tube is something I haven't heard of before and will solve my problem..........any assistance with a "local" i.e BKK or Ayutthaya source for this tubing would be helpful !

Thanks again

Neil

I also hadn't thought about the pvc pipe idea. It's a good idea. It'd work pretty good keeping leaves out as well. Not sure where you'd find it, but I think there's a good-sized hardware and supply chain store in the Future Park mall area that should carry pipes. My son[-in-law is from Ayutthaya. I try to ask him if he knows where to look in Ayutthaya. If there isn't any perforated pipe around, you could always resort solid pvc (make sure it fits right) and drill plenty of holes in it to ensure good drainage

Be aware that this pipe is flexible and comes in rolls. If the pipe you get is too big, you can slice it end to end with a skill saw or jig saw and overlap the cut part to make it smaller. A heat gun will also make it behave itself but don't overdo it and melt it.

In the US it's called perforated PVC drain pipe.

9480d139-93e2-4e2e-b0bd-2f60572f73ce_300

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

We have a similar problem with the birdies, let's try this in DIY, maybe someone has a supplier.

we finally got to having guttering around the whole of the house,within a week the flipping birds that look like myna's started building nests,the mrs.sorted them out,she made up a few bunches of kafir lime branches and put them where they cant sit down.it done the trick.i got one of them needles in my finger not long back and you bet I wont get one again.w00t.gif

I'm sure I've seen a PVC accessory fitted to the top of the gutter on one of the SCG/Da Chang displays before, but can't see anything on their website. Will keep my eyes open on my next visit.

Be aware that this pipe is flexible and comes in rolls. If the pipe you get is too big, you can slice it end to end with a skill saw or jig saw and overlap the cut part to make it smaller. A heat gun will also make it behave itself but don't overdo it and melt it.

In the US it's called perforated PVC drain pipe.

9480d139-93e2-4e2e-b0bd-2f60572f73ce_300

This will not let a deluge flow along the gutter and flow down the down pipe.In Switzerland I took out loads of this stuff for customers as much gets into and under the gutter protection and blocks the flow anyway.

• Like 1

Cooked in Post 11 points out the two problems with PVC drain pipe. It looks great at a "Home Show" in the USA, but in Thailand the rain flow off of a large roof, just not enough water can get into the gutters. Now in Thailand you can afford to have a worker make more holes in the PVC drain pipe to allow more rain water into the gutter area. You can also do annual removal and cleaning underneath and on the sides of the rain gutter where decomposing vegetation does get inside the gutter. It is that decomposing vegetation that helps to rust away or destroy most any rain gutter, even PVC or stainless steel rain gutters. With initial modifications and annual cleaning the PVC drain pipe is an option to consider, but it is not a simple "cure all" as it is presented at a Home and Garden show by a vendor in the USA. They do in fact sell and install rain gutter mesh toppings in Thailand. I have seen such at the annual Architect Expo in Bangkok. They even sell wire mesh down spout "bulbs" to prevent birds from making a nest inside your downspout. I can not recall which of the rain gutter firms had such on display, but it was readily available from a vendor who had a booth at the annual architect expo at Impact Challenger Hall in Bangkok.

Another option would be the green plastic mesh fencing (commonly used to enclose gardens) cut to size and strapped down or glued. But, that will most likely require maintenance also. If your gutters are accessible, you could just make it a weekly chore to clean out nests and in 5-10 years the birds might quit trying to build there.

Good luck with finding anything that will work. I had to make my own gutter/bird exclusion device. If your gutters are below the overhang of your roofing material (as most are)...nothing will work (gutter guard type design), as the birds will build right on top of what ever you try to cover the guttering with. I know. I have been through this BS and the only way I found to keep the f*cking birds out is to line the gutter with screening material that not only fills up the gutter (still allowing the run off to flow through) but extend it above the overhang and then tie it to the ends of the roofing material via an eighth inch hole drilled in the end of your roofing and then tie wire running through it. Otherwise the lovely little birds will get through it and still try and build nests inside where ever they can get. I would like to electrify my gutters and fry the b*stards, but....not really feasible. I am lucky where I live...there are no trees to speak of to have to deal with shedding leaves filling everything up. I found I had to do this myself in order to get it done correctly. Leave it to someone else and you will only get a half-*ssed done job. pg