Beating Your Children With A Stick.....

theblether

It is a fine line. If I saw a parent disciplining their child in a reasonable fashion, I would keep my mouth closed. If I saw a child being severely beaten nearly to the point of torture, I would of course step in to stop it. Purely a judgement call

Yes, we would all like to butt in and do something about it, but if us Farangs start interfering in Thai affairs, you know what is going to happen.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not publicly. Was the shoe thrown privately?

Because two wrongs don't make a right, disciplinary hearings should be private.

The hearing is private the punishment is public. Just as a court may order a newspaper to make a public apology.

my old man was a pom and I copped that shit all the time as was the oldest in the family, as such I was supposed to set an example for the other kids so any excuse I copped it and bloody good sometimes, I am glad I had my Nan to turn to at least

Your father sounds like he was a right bully, I would never had stood for any voilence from my father over the age of twelve. I hate voilence against children women or animals.

• Like 1

Get over it..this is Thailand.

Children are swatted with a piece of bamboo on a regular basis in schools here. I've seen it hundreds of times.

Every class room has a "teacher's stick" ready for use when needed.

I've never seen any physical damage done, but I have seen it bring wild children under control.

Like you, I was shocked the first time I saw it happen, but now I see it as a good thing.

Things would be better in my country ( USA ) if children actually had a reason to follow the rules, be respectful and behave themselves.

Have you ever noticed how respectful and well behaved Thai students are?

i AM SURE THE SAME PRACTICE WORKS WELL AT HOME TOO!

When I was a teacher at High School, it was not unusual for teachers to come it to my classroom and cane naughty kids. But it never happened with any of my grade 5 or 6 kids.

my old man was a pom and I copped that shit all the time as was the oldest in the family, as such I was supposed to set an example for the other kids so any excuse I copped it and bloody good sometimes, I am glad I had my Nan to turn to at least.....

Nice story but why mention that he was British?

Is a Pom not an Australian?

I was whacked at home (by mum) and at school whistling.gif . I look back and smile as it did me no harm. Taught me stuff BUT, there is a degree that should not be passed.

Yeh I know it is a different world now but can anyone tell me kids are now better ?

I sat in on a teachers class the other day and thought, god, if I behaved like that l would have been in deep doo doo and up for expulsion. whistling.gif

When I was a kid, I was belted by my Father, and threatened and belted all the time at school, yes, I was naughty sometimes, but not all the time. I was punished a lot of times for things I knew nothing about. Because of the way I was treated at home and at school. I grew up with a chip on my shoulder that I still have to this day.

Whether I agree with the fathers actions or not is irrelevant, I wasnt there so dont know what led to this course of action.

What I do agree with is the father having the choice in how he chooses to discipline his children, without outside interference from, bleeding hearts liberals, do gooders, busybodies, or the PC thoroughly modern parents.

Its easy to knock Thailand and the Thais, but this is one of the reasons I cherish living here, no facist central government or farang cultural imperialists dictating to the Thais how they raise their children.

There is no excuse at all for hitting children the way Blether described what he saw.

my old man was a pom and I copped that shit all the time as was the oldest in the family, as such I was supposed to set an example for the other kids so any excuse I copped it and bloody good sometimes, I am glad I had my Nan to turn to at least.....

Oh dear, that's going to set off the etymology crew

It is a fine line. If I saw a parent disciplining their child in a reasonable fashion, I would keep my mouth closed. If I saw a child being severely beaten nearly to the point of torture, I would of course step in to stop it. Purely a judgement call

Hmm very dangerous talk. I did notice the Bleater liked your post though?

jb1

First of all, it's theblether smile.png

Secondly, there is a point, even today, when I would say enough is enough. I need to sleep with my conscience, and if I saw a child being beaten to the point of torture here in Thailand, you better believe I'd be in there.

You're indicating here that you would watch it and not intervene, what does that say about you?

I see where you are coming from Blether, Maybe you could try and shield the children from the father, but if the father attacked you and you retaliated, you had better hope there was no other Thai guys around.

Hmm very dangerous talk. I did notice the Bleater liked your post though?

jb1

You got the like for 'the Bleater', completely brilliant!

I never had any kids of my own, but I know for a fact that if I did, when they started school, the headmaster and their teacher would be warned by me if there was any voilence towards them at all, they would answer to me, but if they were given any loss of privileges or kept behind after school or given punishment exercises for being naughty, then I would have no complaints, but that's only if they were naughty in the first place.

I was punished a few times at school when I was completely innocent, that is why I grew up to be a bit of a rebel.

It's going to be busy B, just sent the daughter back from Rayong, no spaces left, some people standing, that's a long 12 hour ride.

Udon Thani to Ubon Ratchathani 12 hours? They told me 6 sad.png VIP service mind.

The lack of flight service in Isaan is atrocious. I was actually toying with flying to DM then flying back to Ubon. I decided to go with bus so I could see some of the country. Gawd no. sad.png

It's a nice bus ride down to Phitsanulok Blether.

Admittedly, I have just skimmed through this topic, but I am surprised at the memory loss of quite a few of the posters. Does nobody remember before Dr, Benjamin Spock (not Star Trek) and others put his theories to the world that children should never be disciplined? It became controlled by law how a parent brought up their own children. What followed was that teachers couldn't control their classes without the threat of the cane, in fact it became illegal for them to even raise their voices to them!

It's a poor teacher that has to shout at their pupils.

Anyway this thread is about hitting children, which is just plain wrong.

Agreed. When I went to school, there were no teachers yelling or hitting the students. If you acted out in class, you were made to sit outside the hallway alone for the duration of class. This soon taught the people acting out to behave or be in for an hour of boredom. The only hitting was done by the gym teachers, who always had a " board of education" close at hand somewhere. That was actually printed on the front of it, Board of Education... :-) Hurt like hell if it was done during swim class in wet trunks....

Same when I was a kid AND you feared that the headmaster might see there you cos it might mean '' The Cane''. w00t.gif .............smile.png

I remember as a nine year old, the teacher giving us an arithmetic lesson, at the end she wrote the correct answer on the blackboard, then she said "all those with the wrong answer out on the Floor", she then belted all those with the wrong answer. I even remember about the same age getting belted by the headmaster for making a mistake.

Oh dear, that's going to set off the etymology crew

Insects?

People who beat their children have limited intelligence and are unable to communicate to a level where the children can understand.

The more quality time you spend with your children at an earlier age pay's off later in life through higher than average grades and common sense.

Children are a blank canvas and it's up to the parent to instill the values needed for life, if done correctly corporal punishment is rarely needed.

The children will know the difference between right and wrong and try to help others onto the same path.

Sometimes you will get a dysfunctional child through parent neglect or alcohol/drug misuse in pregnancy with leads to "special needs". These children can sometimes disrupt the class and other students and maybe in some cases there is no reasoning with them so they need a one to one teacher or occasional a slap works.

A lot of generalising here as it's not a specific science with children.

Every child is different but they all need love and attention.

CCC

If all children are a 'blank canvas'.....

What about the Moors Murderers?

The Bulger killings?

Jack the Ripper

to name a tiny few.

Murderers, Rapists, Child molesters.....

Hetrosexuals, Lesbians, Homosexuals.......

If they are all a blank canvas at the start, what sort of upbringing did these people have to make them this way?

Is / are all the above down to good or bad parenting? I doubt it very very much.

Much of what is within us and in the animal kingdon too is what is passed down to us from our parents via genes.

Parenting is about guiding your offspring to the best of your ability using the rules and boundaries you aspire to.

Yet if a child or a person is evil or plain bad there is often little you can do about it.

Many a decent parent has thrown their hands up in despair at their thieveing, car twocking, bullying, murdering, raping offspring. And the offspring are not ALL this way because of the way they are reared.

We are getting into Darwinism now mate!

Like i said before - A lot of generalising here as it's not a specific science with children.

Every child is different but they all need love and attention.

Yes, i agree the gene pool can have an impact.

As a parent you can try your best and in most cases everything should be good, but you do get exceptions.

CCC

I remember as a nine year old, the teacher giving us an arithmetic lesson, at the end she wrote the correct answer on the blackboard, then she said "all those with the wrong answer out on the Floor", she then belted all those with the wrong answer. I even remember about the same age getting belted by the headmaster for making a mistake.

How did that impact you? Did it lead to you:

1 - Suddenly getting good at maths

2 - Making sure you found out the correct answer from other pupils

3 - Shrinking to the back and keeping your head down

4 - Something else

How did that impact you? Did it lead to you:

1 - Suddenly getting good at maths

2 - Making sure you found out the correct answer from other pupils

3 - Shrinking to the back and keeping your head down

4 - Something else

5- Became a TV membercheesy.gif

CCC

• Like 1

There is a line between a parent trying to sort a kid out (me as a kid) and someone using violence to just deal out violence on kids to feel a tough guy. They are out there.

Indeed they are out there,the school Bullies who preyed on weaker children,are still doing it in adulthood. I suspect their own parents made them what they are,and this form of abuse may have been handed down for many generations,as the Norm?

It is sad to see children beaten, because there are other more effective ways of discipline, but you can't change the world. Unfortunately, uneducated people still use ancient methods and continue to promote brutality. There is no denying that the majority of Thai people are not well educated by modern standards.

It's going to be busy B, just sent the daughter back from Rayong, no spaces left, some people standing, that's a long 12 hour ride.

Udon Thani to Ubon Ratchathani 12 hours? They told me 6 sad.png VIP service mind.

The lack of flight service in Isaan is atrocious. I was actually toying with flying to DM then flying back to Ubon. I decided to go with bus so I could see some of the country. Gawd no. sad.png

It's a nice bus ride down to Phitsanulok Blether.

I reckon I'm going to end up flying home to CM via DM possum, then I'll come down on my bike to P'Luk, or maybe fly down with Kan Air. I'll be there shortly.

I never had any kids of my own, but I know for a fact that if I did, when they started school, the headmaster and their teacher would be warned by me if there was any voilence towards them at all, they would answer to me, but if they were given any loss of privileges or kept behind after school or given punishment exercises for being naughty, then I would have no complaints, but that's only if they were naughty in the first place.

I was punished a few times at school when I was completely innocent, that is why I grew up to be a bit of a rebel.

That is funny, because that is EXACTLY what I am planning on doing when my daughter goes to school here next year. I have seen the videos of Thai teachers whacking the crap out of students , not a pretty sight.....

It is sad to see children beaten, because there are other more effective ways of discipline, but you can't change the world. Unfortunately, uneducated people still use ancient methods and continue to promote brutality. There is no denying that the majority of Thai people are not well educated by modern standards.

I am going to go out on a limb here, and make a wild guess that there is a inverse correlation between the education level of the parent, and the number of beatings the child receives....

That is funny, because that is EXACTLY what I am planning on doing when my daughter goes to school here next year. I have seen the videos of Thai teachers whacking the crap out of students , not a pretty sight.....

I don't think you will have anything to worry about, I taught in a school with children from Kindergarten up to 6th grade, and never saw or heard of any whacking going on. When your daughter starts 7th grade, then do it, I did see beatings when I taught grades 9 and 10, but not enough to make the children cry.

When an adult strikes a child, the adult has lost control of the situation.

And immediately afterwards they have gained control of the situation.

More like lost the kid's trust and pushed them a step closer to hating the parent.

But if that is the kind of relationship you want with your kids....

• Like 2

Can I ask how you have reached your conclusion (Thai people are not well educated by modern standards). I have lived in Canada, Mexico, Ireland, Jamaica, England, USA and Thailand (and a host of other places) and do not believe this statement of yours.

Just a follow up on something that happened to our family a while back about the perils of intervening with family disputes and other Thai problems.

Brother in law and I were coming home one evening to find a young boy being confronted by an older Thai male and it appeared it was going to get out of hand. We both decided it best to stop and help out. My brother in law told me to wait back a bit as if things got out of hand it would be better for me not be involved (ie in terms of the law etc). he got it straightened out and we gave the young boy a ride home. We thought it was over.

Turns out the older male was a relative of the young boy and was a very vindictive person. He did not like it when we intervened in the situation as it made him look bad in front of his nephew (I believe). Several weeks to month after this incident my brother in law was nearly run off the road in two separate incidents. We live in a very quiet neighborhood filled with mostly family members. About a month after these incidents 3 of our 4 dogs were poisoned and died. A garage located at the far end of our farm was nearly burnt down and numerous livestock went missing.

It appears through a 'local" investigation (thai style) that the young man involved in the altercation was trying to make a point about getting involved in his affairs.

Would I get involved in another altercation involving what was described in the Op, yes I would and have done so since the above altercations. But please keep in mind you have to deal with the fall out in what ever manner it decides to manifest itself.