Beating Your Children With A Stick.....

theblether

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a fine line. If I saw a parent disciplining their child in a reasonable fashion, I would keep my mouth closed. If I saw a child being severely beaten nearly to the point of torture, I would of course step in to stop it. Purely a judgement call

you should mind your own buisness as this is not your country and this is how some discipline there children whether you like it or not.. Also you take a chance stepping in as if you value your life you should walk away.. Thais hate losing face so dont lose your life..

• Like 1

Getting back to the OP.....I considered saying much more regarding the issue but will only add this.

When kids with problems at home bring said issues to svhool and are beaten as a result it removes a "safe" place from their lives and leaves them even more isolated.

Another point I will make from personal experience is that adults who command the respect of children do it through the child's respect for the way they live their lives....through hard work and diligence. Its an adult's responsibility to make such a dwcusion....not a child's.

Too many parents forget that.

Getting back to the OP.....I considered saying much more regarding the issue but will only add this.

When kids with problems at home bring said issues to svhool and are beaten as a result it removes a "safe" place from their lives and leaves them even more isolated.

Another point I will make from personal experience is that adults who command the respect of children do it through the child's respect for the way they live their lives....through hard work and diligence. Its an adult's responsibility to make such a dwcusion....not a child's.

Too many parents forget that.

The thing that is offensive for us, is that they use a stick. If they wouldn't use a stick we probably wouldn't be very upset about it.

I have noticed Thai people getting equally upset when they see foreigners slapping children on the head or pulling the ears. This is something Thai people would never do, they find it very offensive, but I see a lot of Westerners doing it.

Very much depends on culture.

An ideal parent would be able to control his/her children without a stick or slap. But I think there're very few ideal parents in this world (in any country).

I don't know where you get the idea that Thai's find it offensive when patents pull their children's ear's, that's something I've certainly never experienced. As for controlling children, my two aged 7and 4 , are always getting into trouble and sometimes I have to slap them in order to discipline them, this is something i expect, as they are both boys with plenty of spirit, which i encourage. Yet when they are separated they are very well behaved and not only do I not have to slap them, but it's also very rare for me to speak strongly to them. As some other posters have already stated, it's best to leave it to the parents, they know their own children better than any one else.

It should only alarm you when you see parent actually beating their children, however I would then caution anybody to intervene personally.

Better you teach your kids that some actions can have a violent response, than someone else gives them

this lesson later on (with worse consequences...).

To all those who still believe corporal punishment is allowed in Thai schools, you are 15 years behind time.

• Like 1

Better you teach your kids that some actions can have a violent response, than someone else gives them

To all those who still believe corporal punishment is allowed in Thai schools, you are 15 years behind time.

Officially perhaps....in practice not at all.

• Like 1

Spare the rod, spoil the child. That's what I have heard anyway. Corporal punishment seems to be common in Asia. When I taught in Korea, my Korean co-teacher told me I needed to get a stick to hit my students with. I declined. The Koreans call the teacher's stick, I'm not kidding, "the rod of love." Haven't seen any bamboo sticks in my classrooms here, but have seen plenty of students hit with rulers. I'm not sure it works as the kids who seem to receive the most punishment never change. I don't have children, so I don't know if I would incorporate smacking my kids. My parents gave me a few smacks when I was growing up and I turned out to be a law abiding citizen that has always been employed, so maybe it is not such a terrible thing.

• Like 1

Spare the rod, spoil the child!!! Can some body give me some evidence in regard to this statement and I don't want to hear from received wisdom, because in my opinion it is based on worthless tripe, so please enlighten me.

The thing that is offensive for us, is that they use a stick. If they wouldn't use a stick we probably wouldn't be very upset about it.

I have noticed Thai people getting equally upset when they see foreigners slapping children on the head or pulling the ears. This is something Thai people would never do, they find it very offensive, but I see a lot of Westerners doing it.

Very much depends on culture.

An ideal parent would be able to control his/her children without a stick or slap. But I think there're very few ideal parents in this world (in any country).

It should only alarm you when you see parent actually beating their children, however I would then caution anybody to intervene personally.

Sorry totally disagree. I saw a boy being severely beaten by his father, Thais were watching & did nothing so I stepped in and said enough, father stopped and I took the child to a doctor for treatment. The guy lived a few houses away from me and luckily nothing happened. You cannot stand by & watch a child being beaten, you just lose your self respect

• Like 2

I don't know where you get the idea that Thai's find it offensive when patents pull their children's ear's, that's something I've certainly never experienced. As for controlling children, my two aged 7and 4 , are always getting into trouble and sometimes I have to slap them in order to discipline them, this is something i expect, as they are both boys with plenty of spirit, which i encourage. Yet when they are separated they are very well behaved and not only do I not have to slap them, but it's also very rare for me to speak strongly to them. As some other posters have already stated, it's best to leave it to the parents, they know their own children better than any one else.

Slapping children is wrong.

Jail is the correct place for such a person.

But it is not my business to put anyone in jail.

I believe that covers all points from the OP until this post.

Slapping children is wrong.

Jail is the correct place for such a person.

But it is not my business to put anyone in jail.

Do you have any kids?

I know a 50 yo lady teacher who had to apologise to a 12 yo punk in front of the whole school for

throwing a shoe after him (government school), to not get fired.

This punk was backed by his loso parents to get his "Satisfaction".

If this little shit would have been my son telling me what happened, the experience theblether made today

would pale into insignificance...

Well I got whacked on the arse with the hand, and most times I deserved it. However, and I posted this before, we had a couple of Burman labourers. The woman would beat her grandson just for asking to eat. She used a stick. One day I had had enough of the screaming. I went to their house, snatched the stick, snapped it in 2 and took the lad to our home. They no longer work for us, the lad is with his mum.

See that's the psychotic "parenting" that I'm talking about. It's up to others to step in and stop it. Too often brutalized children become brutal adults, the chain has to be snapped somewhere.

• Like 1

Freaking brilliant expose of the thread so far

Its an emotive subject in many ways....not a simple issue. I enjoy reading the responses...I wish I could correlate the ages of the respondents but it is quite obvious in some replies.

Edit: sp as usual.

Edited by smokie36

OK Smokes, you know me, but I guess if you didn't you would have got my age wrong, true or not?

Maybe by five years...not more I don't think.

Edit: If you think differently then post what I might have missed....sorry its not easy to follow before on the phone. (I am back on the laptop now).

Edited by smokie36

BIL made his orphan nephew go to work with him. Starting time was 8am. Because BIL is a dill he insisted on going to work at 6.30 (and starting) keeping going until well after finishing time of 5pm with only enough time to eat not the full hour for lunch. This is for the richest man in the village and Nayok of the the tessabahn. The Nayok apparently said why are you coming so early, so the next morning the kid said to the uncle "I'll come along later rather than going at 6.30." Result at least 10 full swings with bamboo cane the thickness of not my finger but another body part. No, Thai men can be animals, more so I believe than some of the perhaps reasonable descriptions we have read here of discipline in the west ie "father whacked me and I turned out OK." if I have to stop him it will be with the shotgun, shovels axes and the like will not suffice and I'll be waiting at Ban Laem for the border to open. Alternative was to help the 17yo get a job which included accommodation but the next chapter awaits, re the 14yo who has more attitude.

• Like 2

People who beat their children have limited intelligence and are unable to communicate to a level where the children can understand.

The more quality time you spend with your children at an earlier age pay's off later in life through higher than average grades and common sense.

Children are a blank canvas and it's up to the parent to instill the values needed for life, if done correctly corporal punishment is rarely needed.

The children will know the difference between right and wrong and try to help others onto the same path.

Sometimes you will get a dysfunctional child through parent neglect or alcohol/drug misuse in pregnancy with leads to "special needs". These children can sometimes disrupt the class and other students and maybe in some cases there is no reasoning with them so they need a one to one teacher or occasional a slap works.

A lot of generalising here as it's not a specific science with children.

Every child is different but they all need love and attention.

CCC

• Like 1

I know a 50 yo lady teacher who had to apologise to a 12 yo punk in front of the whole school for

If this little shit would have been my son telling me what happened, the experience theblether made today

What on earth is a person in authority throwing a shoe at a youngster for? Brilliant piece of role modelling. Was he in danger, was he in the act of causing danger? I would have put her through a disciplinary hearing, regardless of your view of the parents, and made my own decision of the the incident. With the . Information known to me at this time I side with the parents, not your view. However it should not have been done publicly.

OK Smokes, you know me, but I guess if you didn't you would have got my age wrong, true or not?

Maybe by five years...not more I don't think.

Edit: If you think differently then post what I might have missed....sorry its not easy to follow before on the phone. (I am back on the laptop now).

Just curious, I am rather pleased with your assessment.

What on earth is a person in authority throwing a shoe at a youngster for? Brilliant piece of role modelling. Was he in danger, was he in the act of causing danger? I would have put her through a disciplinary hearing, regardless of your view of the parents, and made my own decision of the the incident. With the . Information known to me at this time I side with the parents, not your view. However it should not have been done publicly.

He was not in danger; he was just an obnoxious prick... some more morphine, valium, wine?

As you are not aware of the significance of the term morphine, valium and wine on a particular forum on here, can I respectfully suggest you do not you use it jest again. On the second point, are you suggesting that a person in authority should be throwing shoes at a student?

• Like 1