Beating Your Children With A Stick.....

theblether

I just watched a guy take a stick to his three kids, age estimate 8, 10, 12 maximum. A four foot long cane, 4 lashes each. The guy is a tuk tuk driver, the rest of the drivers just looked on and smiled. The shop keeper serving me didn't bat an eyelid, nor the lady in the queue next to me.

Two girls and a boy, the boy being the middle one. he got it hard and his wails were a shame to hear. As if it matters, I'm in Udon Thani right now.

I don't like what I saw.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my old man was a pom and I copped that shit all the time as was the oldest in the family, as such I was supposed to set an example for the other kids so any excuse I copped it and bloody good sometimes, I am glad I had my Nan to turn to at least.....

Get over it..this is Thailand.

Children are swatted with a piece of bamboo on a regular basis in schools here. I've seen it hundreds of times.

Every class room has a "teacher's stick" ready for use when needed.

I've never seen any physical damage done, but I have seen it bring wild children under control.

Like you, I was shocked the first time I saw it happen, but now I see it as a good thing.

Things would be better in my country ( USA ) if children actually had a reason to follow the rules, be respectful and behave themselves.

Have you ever noticed how respectful and well behaved Thai students are?

i AM SURE THE SAME PRACTICE WORKS WELL AT HOME TOO!

It would benefit some of the wild children in the west to!

There are a couple of kids in my children's school who are disruptive.

No amount of talking and reasoning has any effect.

CCC

willyumiii

"Children are swatted with a piece of bamboo on a regular basis in schools here. I've seen it hundreds of times."

"Have you ever noticed how respectful and well behaved Thai students are?"

So why do they get swatted ?

• Like 2

Sadly it is Thai culture, I was teaching private English lessons last year and had a really disinterested student.

I phoned his mother to let her know that he wasn't really paying attention.

The next lesson, he showed up with a black eye and a bruised arms.

Apparently his mother had a 'word' with him.

I didn't call her to complain again sad.png

Edited by chonabot

Children are swatted with a piece of bamboo on a regular basis in schools here. I've seen it hundreds of times.

I've never seen any physical damage done, but I have seen it bring wild children under control.

Like you, I was shocked the first time I saw it happen, but now I see it as a good thing.

Things would be better in my country ( USA ) if children actually had a reason to follow the rules, be respectful and behave themselves.

Hmm..the schools that I taught at didn't have this stick in every classroom :)

Get your facts right, chap...

• Like 1

my old man was a pom and I copped that shit all the time as was the oldest in the family, as such I was supposed to set an example for the other kids so any excuse I copped it and bloody good sometimes, I am glad I had my Nan to turn to at least.....

Nice story but why mention that he was British?

The thing that is offensive for us, is that they use a stick. If they wouldn't use a stick we probably wouldn't be very upset about it.

I have noticed Thai people getting equally upset when they see foreigners slapping children on the head or pulling the ears. This is something Thai people would never do, they find it very offensive, but I see a lot of Westerners doing it.

Very much depends on culture.

An ideal parent would be able to control his/her children without a stick or slap. But I think there're very few ideal parents in this world (in any country).

I have a brother in law who disciplines his two orphaned nephews in exactly the fashion the Blether describes, I don't like it either. He is a hard working but very low intelligence guy, no coping skills of any kind. They hate him and it will end in serious violence I feel as they grow up. Now 17 and 14. His own sons do not cop it. Even though on at least one occasion one was to blame for the "offence".

What can I do, nothing except I have made subtle suggestions to move them out of the firing line, which has worked with the 17 year old, but he is the lesser abuse.

As far as the school discipline goes it wins and it loses. Sure they toe the line but they become silent haters of the system who sit and suffer it out without really participating until their parents let them leave. Teachers here have some good points but helping backward boys is not one of them.

• Like 2

Nice story but why mention that he was British?

Anglophobia! Very common among our Antipodean cousins on the grounds that they had corporal punishment inflicted on them by our forefathers for 'alf 'inchin' bread an sheep an suchlike.

Britain the birthplace of a jolly good spanking.

CCC

• Like 1

The thing that is offensive for us, is that they use a stick. If they wouldn't use a stick we probably wouldn't be very upset about it.

I have noticed Thai people getting equally upset when they see foreigners slapping children on the head or pulling the ears. This is something Thai people would never do, they find it very offensive, but I see a lot of Westerners doing it.

Very much depends on culture.

An ideal parent would be able to control his/her children without a stick or slap. But I think there're very few ideal parents in this world (in any country).

You don't need to be an ideal parent not to beat your children,you need empathy and realise the untold mental problems that you are causing them.

• Like 1

I think there's a difference between a slap and beating. Both are bad, but the difference huge.

If you hit your children immediately when you're angry or if you hit them to the level it leaves bruises you're doing something really, really wrong.

If you lightly slap you children when you're calm, cooled down, it's wrong too, but much less wrong.

Further on the age is important. Children that are able to clearly communicate should absolutely not get slapped.

Although we all claim to be perfect parents when we talk about it on a public forum, I think in reality very few of us are really perfect.

I really doubt that a few light slaps will cause serious mental problems, but I am sure serious beatings will cause mental problems in the future.

Edited by kriswillems

I was whacked at home (by mum) and at school whistling.gif . I look back and smile as it did me no harm. Taught me stuff BUT, there is a degree that should not be passed.

Yeh I know it is a different world now but can anyone tell me kids are now better ?

I sat in on a teachers class the other day and thought, god, if I behaved like that l would have been in deep doo doo and up for expulsion. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Yeah I always think how well behaved Thai students are when they get involved in knife fights with rival students or shoot up and throw homemade bombs at them.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

It is a fine line. If I saw a parent disciplining their child in a reasonable fashion, I would keep my mouth closed. If I saw a child being severely beaten nearly to the point of torture, I would of course step in to stop it. Purely a judgement call

Hmm very dangerous talk. I did notice the Bleater liked your post though?

jb1

• Like 1