Beating Your Children With A Stick.....

theblether

It is sad to see children beaten, because there are other more effective ways of discipline, but you can't change the world. Unfortunately, uneducated people still use ancient methods and continue to promote brutality. There is no denying that the majority of Thai people are not well educated by modern standards.

Can I ask how you have reached your conclusion (Thai people are not well educated by modern standards). I have lived in Canada, Mexico, Ireland, Jamaica, England, USA and Thailand (and a host of other places) and do not believe this statement of yours.

While Thailand's general educational level is low, some places in the AUS, USA and UK are catching up fast.

• Like 2

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MossFinn

Insects?

At a loss mate? Etymology = description, history and meaning of words. Our have I spelt it wrong?

The Gyles Brandreths & Stephen Fry's here might have realized I was joking:)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/entomology

Yes, I think you were trying to be funny, but you got your words mixed up, which I did find funny, because the alternative is no Fry or Laurie sketch cheesy.gif

@MossFinn

Insects?

At a loss mate? Etymology = description, history and meaning of words. Our have I spelt it wrong?

The Gyles Brandreths & Stephen Fry's here might have realized I was joking:)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/entomology

Yes, I think you were trying to be funny, but you got your words mixed up, which I did find funny, because the alternative is no Fry or Laurie sketch cheesy.gif

Here's another example in monosyllables (pay attention to the fat bloke)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArgppUSNZus&list=PL82ADCB58D9106858

Edited by evadgib

Just bear in mind your seemingly innocent intervention may cause the kid to be beat a lot harder later. I intervened one time in Kabukichou when a mob boss was beating a punk. The next day I realized the boss lost face and probably beat on that poor guy harder. I normally stay out of these tings these days. I am not a coward but it is none of my business and that wacko of a father after the police leave still has electrical wire and let's face it the cops don't care, it is you that called them in the first place.

Just bear in mind your seemingly innocent intervention may cause the kid to be beat a lot harder later. I intervened one time in Kabukichou when a mob boss was beating a punk. The next day I realized the boss lost face and probably beat on that poor guy harder. I normally stay out of these tings these days. I am not a coward but it is none of my business and that wacko of a father after the police leave still has electrical wire and let's face it the cops don't care, it is you that called them in the first place.

Police were not called, I took the child for treatment by a doctor. What she said to me if it happens again, let her know & she would contact the police. I guess it's a fine line to call the police & have the child relocated to a Thai government facility for abused children. Not being a child care professional, what's in the childs' best interest in the longer term here in Thailand?

When an adult strikes a child, the adult has lost control of the situation.

And immediately afterwards they have gained control of the situation.

More like lost the kid's trust and pushed them a step closer to hating the parent.

But if that is the kind of relationship you want with your kids....

how old are your kids may i ask?

I let my kids run riot everywhere, freedom of expression and all that.

The little tikes were throwing bricks outaa the windows the other day, all harmless fun, no doubt later they'll be into gang fights and drugs but hey they'll learn or die right.

Discipline is for cissies

You do not need to use physical violence to create discipline. As I have stated previously there are other means, but everybody, family and individual are unique. And yes I know you were using irony, but it had its under lying theme.

I got beaten with a stick/cane when I was younger. It is pretty common in asia.

I think it is effective for kids to really sit up and learn from their mistakes. Obviously, going overboard or canning without reason is stupid. After canning, one should also explain why the kid did wrong.

Canning actually hurts for the parents as well. The emotional pain.

I cannot imagine myself now if I wasnt canned.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I don't know where you get the idea that Thai's find it offensive when patents pull their children's ear's, that's something I've certainly never experienced. As for controlling children, my two aged 7and 4 , are always getting into trouble and sometimes I have to slap them in order to discipline them, this is something i expect, as they are both boys with plenty of spirit, which i encourage. Yet when they are separated they are very well behaved and not only do I not have to slap them, but it's also very rare for me to speak strongly to them. As some other posters have already stated, it's best to leave it to the parents, they know their own children better than any one else.

It should only alarm you when you see parent actually beating their children, however I would then caution anybody to intervene personally.

Slapping children is wrong.

Jail is the correct place for such a person.

But it is not my business to put anyone in jail.

I believe that covers all points from the OP until this post.

"But it is not my business to put anyone in jail"

The reality is: it's everybodys business to protect children from Psychos,,Pedos,Bullies,and Abusers of any persuasion! even reporting the abuser anonymously to the Authorities,can go some way to stop an innocent child from being tortured, perhaps these children may be better off in care, then there is a chance that good people may come along that will adopt them,and give them the happy Childhood that they deserve.

I wouldn't blink an eyelid in reporting these Animals.

Its perfectly acceptable because this is Thailand and its Thais beating their own children/pupils.... No fault can be found nor ought to be looked for.

It's perfectly acceptable that Pol Pot was Cambodian and only killed Cambodians, no fault can be found not ought to be looked for.

• Like 1

I don't know where you get the idea that Thai's find it offensive when patents pull their children's ear's, that's something I've certainly never experienced. As for controlling children, my two aged 7and 4 , are always getting into trouble and sometimes I have to slap them in order to discipline them, this is something i expect, as they are both boys with plenty of spirit, which i encourage. Yet when they are separated they are very well behaved and not only do I not have to slap them, but it's also very rare for me to speak strongly to them. As some other posters have already stated, it's best to leave it to the parents, they know their own children better than any one else.

It should only alarm you when you see parent actually beating their children, however I would then caution anybody to intervene personally.

The reality is: it's everybodys business to protect children from Psychos,,Pedos,Bullies,and Abusers of any persuasion! even reporting the abuser anonymously to the Authorities,can go some way to stop an innocent child from being tortured, perhaps these children may be better off in care, then there is a chance that good people may come along that will adopt them,and give them the happy Childhood that they deserve.

My experience is that the children are not well-served by having their parents in jail. I don't think that someone who administers a mild physical rebuke to a child is an animal, and, for my part, I would favour judges and courts erring on the side of leniency on such matters. There will be a small minority of children who may suffer because of that, but they may suffer more from becoming wards of the court, while there is a much larger minority of children who will benefit from living with parents who love them, despite not being perfect parents.

In my view, what theBlether observed in the OP was excessive, and might warrant a little advice from a social worker, magistrate or policeman on what society considered acceptable. But this is the Thais' society, not mine, and I believe that legislation-wise they have a more tolerant and ostensibly patriarchal view of what is socially acceptable.

In my opinion, theBlether did the right thing in keeping out of it - the children were not in mortal danger, and while they may grow up as imperfect human beings because of such treatment, this instance on its own is unlikely to be key. TheBlether is not responsible for the development of the child, nor of the parent, and so he should keep his stickybeak out of it. In my opinion. Conversely, if he got involved in this case, perhaps he should also intervene when he sees children not doing their homework, or being indulged excessively by their parents or grandparents...

SC

• Like 1

My experience is that the children are not well-served by having their parents in jail. I don't think that someone who administers a mild physical rebuke to a child is an animal, and, for my part, I would favour judges and courts erring on the side of leniency on such matters. There will be a small minority of children who may suffer because of that, but they may suffer more from becoming wards of the court, while there is a much larger minority of children who will benefit from living with parents who love them, despite not being perfect parents.

In my view, what theBlether observed in the OP was excessive, and might warrant a little advice from a social worker, magistrate or policeman on what society considered acceptable. But this is the Thais' society, not mine, and I believe that legislation-wise they have a more tolerant and ostensibly patriarchal view of what is socially acceptable.

In my opinion, theBlether did the right thing in keeping out of it - the children were not in mortal danger, and while they may grow up as imperfect human beings because of such treatment, this instance on its own is unlikely to be key. TheBlether is not responsible for the development of the child, nor of the parent, and so he should keep his stickybeak out of it. In my opinion. Conversely, if he got involved in this case, perhaps he should also intervene when he sees children not doing their homework, or being indulged excessively by their parents or grandparents...

SC

Yes of course! I was talking about serious continuous abuse of children,not a mild slap on the back of the legs,I thought that was obvious!

I would also exempt (F*** knows why) the Gardening Teacher,who crept up behind me and another kid who was playfully knudging and elbowing each other,

The next thing I knew I was eating dirt, he had given me the full force his open hand across the back of the head,when I got up he did the same thing again,so I stayed down until his temper subsided. In those days,as many of us older Guys know only too well,you didn't tell your Parents,they were too Sh*t scared to challenge Authority in any form,and all that would happen was they would tell you "You obviously deserved it" In some kids cases the belt would come out.

Many years later the Teacher in question came to my fathers funeral,and paid his respects to me and my Brother,and yes I did think: wouldn't I just love to smack him across the back of his head and send him head first heading for the dirt.

Of course on that very sad occasion revenge was never going to happen,not because I had become scared Pitless of authority like my Dad, but the fact was ,I had risen above him and his kind,and my Father wouldn't have liked it anyway. And lucky for the Teacher,since then we have all become more educated,and realise violent behaviour,will get you struck off for life,and even prison, the same penalty for Parents,if the discipline "sic" is too harsh,and rightly so!

Edited by MAJIC

Not in my part to Thailand.

Where are you? Bangkok..the farang wanabe of S.E.Asia " gimme da

spray paint homey, I wana be a gansta too".

Get over it..this is Thailand.

Children are swatted with a piece of bamboo on a regular basis in schools here. I've seen it hundreds of times.

Every class room has a "teacher's stick" ready for use when needed.

I've never seen any physical damage done, but I have seen it bring wild children under control.

Like you, I was shocked the first time I saw it happen, but now I see it as a good thing.

Things would be better in my country ( USA ) if children actually had a reason to follow the rules, be respectful and behave themselves.

Have you ever noticed how respectful and well behaved Thai students are?

i AM SURE THE SAME PRACTICE WORKS WELL AT HOME TOO!

Yeah I always think how well behaved Thai students are when they get involved in knife fights with rival students or shoot up and throw homemade bombs at them.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<deleted>???

Can't you two chat or email or phone eachother??

Nothig to do with the topic.

YOU BOTH NEED A GOOD WACK WITH A BAMBOO POLE!

It's going to be busy B, just sent the daughter back from Rayong, no spaces left, some people standing, that's a long 12 hour ride.

Udon Thani to Ubon Ratchathani 12 hours? They told me 6 sad.png VIP service mind.

The lack of flight service in Isaan is atrocious. I was actually toying with flying to DM then flying back to Ubon. I decided to go with bus so I could see some of the country. Gawd no. sad.png

rent a car. will be much more fun than a bus

• 4 weeks later...

Just something I witnessed yesterday while awaiting to alight from one of the River Ferries which ply the Chao Phraya.

Because the docking process can take a minute or two depending if there is already another ferry temporarily moored I witnessed the following.

A man, presumed to be a Father, having a rather one way 'discussion' with a boy.

The boy, maybe 5 or 6 or 7, dressed in a School Uniform ... tearfull as.

Dad was having none of it.

Must have pushed a few of Dad's buttons as the boy got a quick, rather firm, slap on the ass which moved him forward a step.

What happened next was not to be expected ... in central Bangkok, in full view of everyone ... Father, holding the boys arm gave him a swift kick up the ass ... hard enough to propel him into the air, both feet off the ground pivoting at the point where Father was holding his arm up.

The Thais around him visibly took a step back and a few hands went to mouths (as in shock).

Didn't see the next part of the story as our boat had docket and was alighting and my line of sight disappeared as we shuffled forward.

Must admit ... surprised me a little.

A beating is no problem, but touching someone with your foot is not done and would indeed be deemed shocking.

Never thought of that and maybe that was it.

They were certainly Asian and Thai from what I could see.

Forgot about the foot contact and focused on the ferocity of the contact.

Maybe that was what set tongues wagging ... good point.

Spare the rod and spoil the child is old school discipline. It only works if it is backed up with a lot of love. Unfortunately, the love part doesn't always happen. Modern discipline does not need physical violence. There are other methods that work much better. But, discipline is still needed.